Now for something completely different

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Lubbly Jubbly Julie, my son tells me Encasa owner Pachi is back in town, perhaps he is back on the burners turning out great food for you.

It's certainly the best home delivery we've had. Last week we had Sugarlane's crispy chicken, pad thai, and stir-fried greens delivered. All delicious, as usual, but not as piping hot as the Encasa meal. Next week we'll be having Indian from Masala Kitchen. We're trying to have one meal a week from our favourite local restaurants to help support them, as well as fish and chips or pizza occasionally. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Not Buick, Chevrolet or Pontiac. The option package is a group of numbers. This car is not that.

Well I give up..back about 28yrs ago, my son and husband refurbished a Chevelle Malibu Convertible and my sons best friend a Le Mans Convertible.  I still have enough spare parts in my garage to build a combo, including a big a$$ engine on a block.    The Malibu saved my sons life.  A drunk driver crashed head on one night and bent the frame of the car, but my son only got slight bruises..Normally my son drove his hand me down little Hyundai back and forth to school..that day he took the classic to show to a friend.

5 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Well I give up..back about 28yrs ago, my son and husband refurbished a Chevelle Malibu Convertible and my sons best friend a Le Mans Convertible.  I still have enough spare parts in my garage to build a combo, including a big a$$ engine on a block.    The Malibu saved my sons life.  A drunk driver crashed head on one night and bent the frame of the car, but my son only got slight bruises..Normally my son drove his hand me down little Hyundai back and forth to school..that day he took the classic to show to a friend.

It's an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible, it has been there a while and will be nice when complete. It will never reach the dollar value that it would if it had the number 442 on the side. It's an early 70's model.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible, it has been there a while and will be nice when complete. It will never reach the dollar value that that would if it had the number 442 on the side. It's an early 70's model.

Refurbished with original parts will bring in a nice price but not the top without 442 on the side. 

When my son's 65 Malibu had to be "junked" he cried like a baby.  Six years of working on it and spending all his money.  He still talks about what it could have been worth today.  I still feel that it saved his life.  Anyway he got $15,000 for it from the insurance company back in 92.  He bought another "piece of junk", as I called it and now is in his garage and he works on it every so often.  A family and work doesn't give much time.  He told me he still has the $15,000 in the bank to use to refurbish.  My daughter in law stores stuff in the back seat when the garage gets full  Lol.

Edited by BRANDEE

1 minute ago, BRANDEE said:

Refurbished with original parts will bring in a nice price but not the top without 442 on the side. 

When my son's 65 Malibu had to be "junked" he cried like a baby.  Six years of working on it and spending all his money.  He still talks about what it could have been worth today.  I still feel that it saved his life.  Anyway he got $15,000 for it from the insurance company back in 92.  He bought another "piece of junk", as I called it and now is in his garage and he works on it every so often.  A family and work doesn't give much time.  He told me he still has the $15,000 in the bank to use to refurbish.  My daughter in law stores stuff in the back seat when the garage gets full  Lol.

My buddy has a 64 Malibu SS convertible, He did a resto-mod on it. I looks bone stock but it's not. He didn't have the original engine anyway so put in a nice "crate" motor and a much better automatic transmission (it wasn't a factory 4 speed), he put in a new front clip with disk brakes and better suspension, it's a nice car.

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

My buddy has a 64 Malibu SS convertible, He did a resto-mod on it. I looks bone stock but it's not. He didn't have the original engine anyway so put in a nice "crate" motor and a much better automatic transmission (it wasn't a factory 4 speed), he put in a new front clip with disk brakes and better suspension, it's a nice car.

Bet it is worth in the $50/60's even with the wrong motor.  I keep threating my son to sell the "stuff" he left here when he got married 20 years ago.  The original motor for his Malibu, grilles, fenders, hubcaps, headlights, boot for convertible top and 4 selves of nuts,  bolts and chrome parts.  

Regarding your cruise next year.  Have you checked the price lately. Mine had a sale and was able to get a reduction.  Only certain sailing but you might be lucky and be yours.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Bet it is worth in the $50/60's even with the wrong motor.  I keep threating my son to sell the "stuff" he left here when he got married 20 years ago.  The original motor for his Malibu, grilles, fenders, hubcaps, headlights, boot for convertible top and 4 selves of nuts,  bolts and chrome parts.  

Regarding your cruise next year.  Have you checked the price lately. Mine had a sale and was able to get a reduction.  Only certain sailing but you might be lucky and be yours.  

One of the real special things on my buddie's car was he was able to get an NOS (new old stock) grill and headlight bezels all in GM factory wrapping. He did a 65 hardtop before which he sold when he got the 64 SS. At one point he had the complete set. The convertible the El Camino and the station wagon although the last 2 were unrestored. He sold those as he got deeper into the convertible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

On the subject of cars, I've had my new LDV van two weeks now and all is going well. I got a good price for comprehensive insurance from Shannons, $640pa for $32,000. Discount for multiple policies and limited use as I do less than 10k klms pa.

IMG_20210629_162506167[1].jpg

Congrats on your new addition.  How is the availability of cars in Australia?  There is a problem with obtaining some cars due to covid, in the US.  That is what is being said.   Many dealerships have nothing to show or sell,  used cars are more expensive (quick sale) and renting a car for a vacation is more expensive, due to shortage of stock.  Friends looked into renting a car in Hawaii for vacation and told to go on a waiting list.   Another friend bought an American made car, Cadillac, and had a four month wait for a catalytic converter. Many leased car owners are getting extensions on their lease due to no cars to trade in.  How is it going by you?  Where your factories closed at any point in time during the past 16 months?

Edited by BRANDEE

2 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Congrats on your new addition.  How is the availability of cars in Australia?  There is a problem with obtaining some cars due to covid, in the US.  That is what is being said.   Many dealerships have nothing to show or sell,  used cars are more expensive (quick sale) and renting a car for a vacation is more expensive, due to shortage of stock.  Friends looked into renting a car in Hawaii for vacation and told to go on a waiting list.   Another friend bought an American made car, Cadillac, and had a four month wait for a catalytic converter. Many leased car owners are getting extensions on their lease due to no cars to trade in.  How is it going by you?  Where your factories closed at any point in time during the past 16 months?

We have similar issues with vehicles here in OZ. We no longer manufacture cars here. ☹️ All imported.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We have similar issues with vehicles here in OZ. We no longer manufacture cars here. ☹️ All imported.

Not good to have to only rely on imports.  Also a huge computer chip shortage is the cause of fewer US cars.  We also have a shortage of stoves, refrigerators, washers and dryers.

Edited by BRANDEE

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

Not good to have to only rely on imports.  Also a huge computer chip shortage is the cause of fewer US cars.  We also have a shortage of stoves, refrigerators, washers and dryers.

Read about the computer chip shortage.... and now a days what don't have a chip inside it.....

Chips.... oven fries are good best served hot.... also very good when dipped in chili sauce....

Cars.... one is a 2001 and the other 2008... for the mean time  not updating either in the near or far future.... as long as one can get parts  we are laughing...

Don    living in the past.... the only new thing in the house is TV bought last year..

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

Congrats on your new addition.  How is the availability of cars in Australia?  There is a problem with obtaining some cars due to covid, in the US.  That is what is being said.   Many dealerships have nothing to show or sell,  used cars are more expensive (quick sale) and renting a car for a vacation is more expensive, due to shortage of stock.  

Yep, hard to get stock, especially vans and trucks for tradies (work vehicles). My LDV was made in China by SAIC, China's biggest car maker and eighth biggest in the world. Was about $12000-$15,000 cheaper than equivalent Hyndai or Toyota. No chip problem in China. I get my second shot in two weeks, there may be a chip in that.😅

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I assume the Mast and sail fit as well, cargo van style with rear windows.

I have 3 or 4 masts, the longest is 5.5m, the shortest is 4.3m. They're two-piece 100% carbon fibre. I have 4 sails, the widest is 2.6m from mast to clew so they fit in fine (rolled up). The sail in my avatar is 11m2 which I no longer use. Since I've gone over to sailing on a foil I can get by with smaller sails, 6m2 up to 10m2.

IMG_20210709_135916965[1].jpg

• Like 2

Well we got a surprise email from our TA. She got us a full refund for our down under flights. She wanted permission to proceed...Make it so said I. With the new vacation starting in New York and ending in Ottawa we will have many more flight options. No need to worry about that for many months. Just hold the money in our vacation account.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well we got a surprise email from our TA. She got us a full refund for our down under flights. She wanted permission to proceed...Make it so said I. With the new vacation starting in New York and ending in Ottawa we will have many more flight options. No need to worry about that for many months. Just hold the money in our vacation account.

That's great, Lyle. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Is Canada manufacturing motor vehicles these days, Lyle? 

We do have an Auto industry Les. There have been some plant closures lately but still we are building cars. Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota all have plants here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I have 3 or 4 masts, the longest is 5.5m, the shortest is 4.3m. They're two-piece 100% carbon fibre. I have 4 sails, the widest is 2.6m from mast to clew so they fit in fine (rolled up). The sail in my avatar is 11m2 which I no longer use. Since I've gone over to sailing on a foil I can get by with smaller sails, 6m2 up to 10m2.

IMG_20210709_135916965[1].jpg

Lots of room Lyndon, but I think it is smaller than the red Caddie in my picture😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We do have an Auto industry Les. There have been some plant closures lately but still we are building cars. Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota all have plants here.

That is good you are still building cars.

On the subject of Cars..... remember when each brand had a distinctive look, you could tell a glance...

Is it just me .. or do a lot of cars all just look the same ????

Growing up was car nut.... ( or was a screw loose ..lol )

I think older cars have more of a look.....  still like my 2001 holden   which is rather somewhat new

just about to turn over 70k on the clock   ( yes it has an analog clock )  ... I think it has almost lost the new car smell.....lol...

But would really like a 58 caddy....or a  71 roller.   but it is going to happen  unless mr lotto come in...

Cheers   Don with a G&T  

17 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

On the subject of Cars..... remember when each brand had a distinctive look, you could tell a glance...

Is it just me .. or do a lot of cars all just look the same ????

Growing up was car nut.... ( or was a screw loose ..lol )

I think older cars have more of a look.....  still like my 2001 holden   which is rather somewhat new

just about to turn over 70k on the clock   ( yes it has an analog clock )  ... I think it has almost lost the new car smell.....lol...

But would really like a 58 caddy....or a  71 roller.   but it is going to happen  unless mr lotto come in...

Cheers   Don with a G&T  

You may like this then Don

445151703_Caddyfront.thumb.jpg.c30f0cf7ba8a327e55eefcdda9833a83.jpg386782744_Caddyquarter.thumb.jpg.72e91c5bef63f68a415773a5ae60cff1.jpg630684180_Caddyinterior.thumb.jpg.0cea9e274fc4f42cebff3b716cbcf640.jpg

• Like 2