Now for something completely different

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That must have been an unusual itinerary Lyndon. Solstice has been home porting for the Alaska run out of Seattle, which puts her in Victoria about once a week. I don't think Vancouver is a regular stop for her. Eclipse is home ported in Vancouver and only drops in here a couple of times each cruise season. We usually see the Seattle based ships for the Alaska season. They need a "foreign" stop to comply with the PVSA. These stops are ridiculously short and I feel they really short change the Visitors to Victoria. There is plenty to fill a full day here and I can't figure out why they come in so late and leave early, no way it takes 6 hours to get to Seattle from Victoria even at 15 knots.

Agree.  There is plenty to see and do on a full day in Victoria.  They want the passengers to spend their money on the ship.  

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

That must have been an unusual itinerary Lyndon. Solstice has been home porting for the Alaska run out of Seattle, which puts her in Victoria about once a week. I don't think Vancouver is a regular stop for her. Eclipse is home ported in Vancouver and only drops in here a couple of times each cruise season. We usually see the Seattle based ships for the Alaska season. They need a "foreign" stop to comply with the PVSA. These stops are ridiculously short and I feel they really short change the Visitors to Victoria. There is plenty to fill a full day here and I can't figure out why they come in so late and leave early, no way it takes 6 hours to get to Seattle from Victoria even at 15 knots.

Agreed, some stops are only for 1/2 a day or even only 4 hours.

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We started that cruise from Seattle after flying in from Las Vegas (post National Park tour) Sep 2016. "Finished" was not quite correct, I should have said last port before finishing in Seattle. 

Here is the last photo I took but can't remember where.

Spent some of this morning calling TAs planning next trip,  4 Jun 2023. It will be a HAL cruise (ref #Y2c). 

DSC06381.JPG

Edited by lyndarra

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

We started that cruise from Seattle after flying in from Las Vegas (post National Park tour) Sep 2016. "Finished" was not quite correct, I should have said last port before finishing in Seattle. 

Here is the last photo I took but can't remember where.

DSC06381.JPG

Safeco Field is the baseball park in Seattle where the Seattle Mariners play.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I like the sound of your Uccelli Scappati dish. Would you share the recipe?

I've had some very nice pinot grigios from Friuli.😊

I'd love to spend some more time exploring Italy, away from the big cities, but land travel gets so much harder as we get older. 😪

I'm happy to share the recipe, and just typed it out, ingredients and method, completely.  I pressed "submit", and now it's disappeared!  I'll repeat the exercise in a few hours, OzKiwiJJ, when I'm back on here.  Does anyone know if it could be retrieved from the ether world?

On 6/6/2022 at 3:36 PM, Blackduck59 said:

That's okay there is no "topic" there never was. I created this just to shoot the breeze with new Australian friends as I tried to navigate things a Canadian should know when visiting Australia. That was 2 years ago, now it looks like it will be another 2 years before we finally make it down under after 2 cancelled attempts.

Thanks, Lyle.  I guess "something different" does indeed mean anything at all.  Hope it won't be too long before you're in our waters.

53 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I'm happy to share the recipe, and just typed it out, ingredients and method, completely.  I pressed "submit", and now it's disappeared!  I'll repeat the exercise in a few hours, OzKiwiJJ, when I'm back on here.  Does anyone know if it could be retrieved from the ether world?

That's annoying for you. I've had that happen in the past and it's so frustrating. What I do now with things like recipes or long posts is put them into a Word document or something first, then copy and paste into the thread. Sometimes you have to tidy up the formatting though, especially paragraph spacing.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's annoying for you. I've had that happen in the past and it's so frustrating. What I do now with things like recipes or long posts is put them into a Word document or something first, then copy and paste into the thread. Sometimes you have to tidy up the formatting though, especially paragraph spacing.

Hope this works:

UCCELLI SCAPPATI.docx

UCCELLI SCAPPATI.docxUCCELLI SCAPPATI.docxUCCELLI SCAPPATI.docxUCCELLI SCAPPATI.docxUCCELLI SCAPPATI.docx

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hope this works:

43 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

So sorry about all the above attempts.  The last one does open for me.  Let me know how you fare with opening the file.  Thanks everyone.

No, I can't open it.

Go into the Word document

Select All the text,

then Copy.

Then Paste it here. 

Check the formatting before submitting it.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, I can't open it.

Go into the Word document

Select All the text,

then Copy.

Then Paste it here. 

Check the formatting before submitting it.

Will do tomorrow am.  Thanks.  It makes sense and should have done it first.  Watching State iof Origin.  Now this will start a debate🤣

UCCELLI SCAPPATI      (4 generous serves)    Traditionally served with soft polenta, but roast potatoes and a crisp radicchio salad are delicious sides

INGREDIENTS

·         12 pieces of either pork loin boneless cutlet, or veal (not yearling), pounded gently to thin pieces between clingwrap layers

·         12 slices of pancetta or prosciutto, torn as necessary to almost cover meat medallions

·         12 large or 24 small fresh sage leaves

·         12 small slices or pieces of mozzarella cheese (not traditional, but does bind the filling with a lovely consistency

·         1-2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (sufficient to reduce to a lovely condensed jus in about 30 mins.  You may need to start with 1 cup, then add more if necessary)

·         ½ cup extra virgin olive oil

·         1 dessertspoon unsalted butter

·         Seasoning to taste (the pancetta is very salty, so probably only freshly cracked pepper)

·         Several wooden toothpicks or long wooden skewers for assembly

METHOD

·         Soak either toothpicks or wooden skewers in cold water for an hour prior to starting

·         Turn oven to 160C / 320F.  It is optional to finish the dish in the oven, I simply do it because it releases all the flavours beautifully, and results in very tender parcels

·         Almost cover each medallion with the pancetta

·         Top with 1 large or 2 small sage leaves

·         Add the small amount of mozzarella, if using

·         Fold in the longer sides of the medallions, then starting from the shorter end nearest to you, roll up into a parcel

·         Secure with either a couple of toothpicks, or thread about 3 parcels on one long skewer

·         In a large pan, heat oil and butter till foaming

·         If you wish to finish the dish in the oven, use an ovenproof pan if you have one so that you don’t need to transfer the parcels.  I use Scanpans in my kitchen, and I just carry them from the stovetop to the oven

·         Add parcels, and carefully seal both sides of parcels till slightly browned

·         Add white wine, and turn down heat

·         When wine has almost completely reduced, add broth (1 cup first and judge if more is necessary)

·         Either continue cooking over heat, turning carefully occasionally, till broth has reduced to a lovely unctuous sauce (about 20-30 mins)    OR

·         Finish cooking, turning as above, in oven for about 30 mins or until the same reduction occurs.  Turning will keep the surface moist.

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

UCCELLI SCAPPATI      (4 generous serves)    Traditionally served with soft polenta, but roast potatoes and a crisp radicchio salad are delicious sides

INGREDIENTS

·         12 pieces of either pork loin boneless cutlet, or veal (not yearling), pounded gently to thin pieces between clingwrap layers

·         12 slices of pancetta or prosciutto, torn as necessary to almost cover meat medallions

·         12 large or 24 small fresh sage leaves

·         12 small slices or pieces of mozzarella cheese (not traditional, but does bind the filling with a lovely consistency

·         1-2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (sufficient to reduce to a lovely condensed jus in about 30 mins.  You may need to start with 1 cup, then add more if necessary)

·         ½ cup extra virgin olive oil

·         1 dessertspoon unsalted butter

·         Seasoning to taste (the pancetta is very salty, so probably only freshly cracked pepper)

·         Several wooden toothpicks or long wooden skewers for assembly

METHOD

·         Soak either toothpicks or wooden skewers in cold water for an hour prior to starting

·         Turn oven to 160C / 320F.  It is optional to finish the dish in the oven, I simply do it because it releases all the flavours beautifully, and results in very tender parcels

·         Almost cover each medallion with the pancetta

·         Top with 1 large or 2 small sage leaves

·         Add the small amount of mozzarella, if using

·         Fold in the longer sides of the medallions, then starting from the shorter end nearest to you, roll up into a parcel

·         Secure with either a couple of toothpicks, or thread about 3 parcels on one long skewer

·         In a large pan, heat oil and butter till foaming

·         If you wish to finish the dish in the oven, use an ovenproof pan if you have one so that you don’t need to transfer the parcels.  I use Scanpans in my kitchen, and I just carry them from the stovetop to the oven

·         Add parcels, and carefully seal both sides of parcels till slightly browned

·         Add white wine, and turn down heat

·         When wine has almost completely reduced, add broth (1 cup first and judge if more is necessary)

·         Either continue cooking over heat, turning carefully occasionally, till broth has reduced to a lovely unctuous sauce (about 20-30 mins)    OR

·         Finish cooking, turning as above, in oven for about 30 mins or until the same reduction occurs.  Turning will keep the surface moist.

Thanks, it sounds delicious. I'll definitely give that a try. My butcher has thinly sliced and pounded veal which I use for Saltimbocca, so that would probably work well for this dish. Roughly how big is each pork/veal piece that you use? 

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks, it sounds delicious. I'll definitely give that a try. My butcher has thinly sliced and pounded veal which I use for Saltimbocca, so that would probably work well for this dish. Roughly how big is each pork/veal piece that you use? 

It really is similar to saltimbocca, so the pounded pieces would be of a similar size, or slightly smaller, to the veal steaks you mention.  The main thing is to have them slightly elongated, so that you start your filling procedure with longer sides and shorter ends.  Buon appetito🙂

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oops:  just read through my recipe and realise I neglected to add a glass of dry white wine to the ingredients.  I do mention it in the method, so you would be understandably enraged if halfway through the process you find you have no wine to hand.  

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

What is state of origin? Is it one of those stupid reality shows where everything is scripted already.

It is scripted Mic, they take turns to win so as they can draw bigger crowds, lol.

I am looking forward to Australia v Peru in the World Game next week, hope it is televised.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

It is scripted Mic, they take turns to win so as they can draw bigger crowds, lol.

I am looking forward to Australia v Peru in the World Game next week, hope it is televised.

Go Socceroos!!!  Truly the beautiful game

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Oops:  just read through my recipe and realise I neglected to add a glass of dry white wine to the ingredients.  I do mention it in the method, so you would be understandably enraged if halfway through the process you find you have no wine to hand.  

There is always wine in our house. 😁

By glass do you mean 100ml or is it a cup (250ml).

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is always wine in our house. 😁

By glass do you mean 100ml or is it a cup (250ml).

😁Just a really generous amount.  I just add a few slurps (my slurps of wine are big😉) which would probably, for 12 small parcels, be at least 200ml.  Feel free to add what you judge will do the trick.

BTW, I did a bit of research on the name.  They're called flyaway birds because the filling is what small birds (quail, etc.) are usually stuffed with, and how the hunters' dinners were always prepared.  If the hunt was fruitless, pork or veal was substituted because the birds "flew away".  I know that's probably true because my mother-in-law always stuffed quail with sage and pancetta.  She also added 1/2 clove of garlic to each one (look away, Les😆.  I do too, for quail, but not always.  One thing I personally always add to the quail stuffing is a small wedge of apple.  Cook in exactly the same way as the uccelli scappati.  So yummy.