Canceled cruise paid with gift cards

Cruise Raider

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I called Princess Gift Cards and they said they don't do that and to call the regular number. I called that number and the guy told me they can't just transfer the cards to a new cruise but would have to cancel them, wait for the money to be refunded back to the cards (which currently would take a very long time) and then apply them to the new cruise. I obviously can't do that because the cards would expire before the funds were restored to them. Trying to get this done through a TA is problematic as the cruises aren't booked through the same TA. We usually go with our "regular" TA but didn't do so for the Australia cruises. At that time we went with a large agency that offers a promo shortly before the Princess Sip and Sail promo. It's the same thing but also includes the gratuities which, for 33 days, is considerable. (Of course now we could just do it with Princess Plus but that didn't exist when we booked.)  The cruise I want to move the cards to is booked through our usual TA who we will continue to use for all future cruises. It looks like I will just have to leave things as the are. If Princess cancels I should get the funds back and can apply them to a different cruise at that time.

I also had purchased some $1000 gift cards during the promo.  I had applied the bonus gift card as well as one of the $1000 gift cards to a booking I had directly with Princess.  In knowing the cruise might be canceled, I had my PVP transfer the bonus gift cards to another booking for later this year.  She emailed somebody in her office and the next day, the bonus gift cards were transferred.  2 days later, the original cruise was canceled.  Wondering how they are going to handle the $1000 gift card portion that is still under the booking.  I am hoping to just get it transferred back to the gift card balance so that they won't have an expiration.  On another thread, I'm checking into this but looks like possibly, they transferred the gift card balance to FCCs, which I don't really want ... like I said, I don't want an expiration attached to the major bulk of these gift cards, that wasn't in the original T&C that I purchased them under.  If I find out otherwise, I will update.  

Update:  Yes ... on the canceled cruise that was paid in gift cards, the post stated they chose option #1 and got their gift card balance back in FCCs.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I called Princess Gift Cards and they said they don't do that and to call the regular number. I called that number and the guy told me they can't just transfer the cards to a new cruise but would have to cancel them, wait for the money to be refunded back to the cards (which currently would take a very long time) and then apply them to the new cruise. I obviously can't do that because the cards would expire before the funds were restored to them. Trying to get this done through a TA is problematic as the cruises aren't booked through the same TA. We usually go with our "regular" TA but didn't do so for the Australia cruises. At that time we went with a large agency that offers a promo shortly before the Princess Sip and Sail promo. It's the same thing but also includes the gratuities which, for 33 days, is considerable. (Of course now we could just do it with Princess Plus but that didn't exist when we booked.)  The cruise I want to move the cards to is booked through our usual TA who we will continue to use for all future cruises. It looks like I will just have to leave things as the are. If Princess cancels I should get the funds back and can apply them to a different cruise at that time.

Yes, I would agree not the Gift Card folks to do this as they likely cannot access cruise bookings. 

Perhaps like almost everything Princess, some CSR's can make something happen and others not.  I am not sure that my TA spoke to anyone live.  She may have just made the change via POLAR.  I am waiting on a new invoice for this Fall's cruise in any case as it should now show the revised FP Date as being AUG and not JUN.  (I can see the new date in my Personalizer when I pull up the EZ-Air flight details).  When I get that invoice, it should be missing the $350 and now show a higher balance owing.  My 2021 cruise invoice indicates the new $350 payment credit.  Hopefully what she did works and did the trick.  (I have had same TA (not the one from PA) for some time now, but I am aware of the sale promo of which you speak).

I notice in the next post after yours that when someone picks Option 1 refund (all FCC, plus bonus), then no more funds on a Gift Card (I mean the $1,000 base one).  Something to consider as Gift Cards never expire, but the FCC does.  I have $7K in Gift Cards to spend and was going to get a couple more on Mother's Day promo, but my wife says the Bank of Princess has enough of our money for now.

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Update:  Yes ... on the canceled cruise that was paid in gift cards, the post stated they chose option #1 and got their gift card balance back in FCCs.  

So just to verify,  the reason they were put on FCC is because of choosing option 1 requesting that type of refund - correct?

I have a lot of gift cards on my Alaskan cruise, however I cancelled to receive refund not FCC, the rep. I talked to said they would be sent out on new gift cards, and they can't add them back to existing cards.  I know for a fact that Carnival never adds them back to their original gift cards, first time using Princess gift cards and wasn't clear on their procedures.  I'm with you I don't want an expiration date on my $10K they owe me at this point, so definitely want the gift cards over the FCC option.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have $7K in Gift Cards to spend and was going to get a couple more on Mother's Day promo, but my wife says the Bank of Princess has enough of our money for now.

I'm holding $5,000 in gift cards. Like you, I had been planning to get more on the Mother's Day promo but things are so weird these days that I will probably not do that. Having called and gotten an unsatisfactory answer I will try the email route. In the past I have called Princess and been told "NO" and then called back later and had the next person say "Sure!" and take care of things right away. The guy I spoke with today put me on hold quite a while but there was no hold music. He may well be working from home and not really know what to do with gift cards. I'll send email and see I I get a different answer. It's not like I'm trying to cash out or anything - I just want to move the OBC to a different Princess cruise.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I'm holding $5,000 in gift cards. Like you, I had been planning to get more on the Mother's Day promo but things are so weird these days that I will probably not do that. Having called and gotten an unsatisfactory answer I will try the email route. In the past I have called Princess and been told "NO" and then called back later and had the next person say "Sure!" and take care of things right away. The guy I spoke with today put me on hold quite a while but there was no hold music. He may well be working from home and not really know what to do with gift cards. I'll send email and see I I get a different answer. It's not like I'm trying to cash out or anything - I just want to move the OBC to a different Princess cruise.

GL (sincerely) because anything to do with payments is supposed to be handled by TA.  Perhaps contact the TA you feel will be most responsive to your request and see if they can coordinate the move with Princess on their own?

10 hours ago, Coral said:

You have been very helpful. Hopefully I didn't add to your stress level.

Hang in there! Take a break. Take care of yourself.

Thank you!

i am all settled with all travel refunds as of last Friday. 
I see movement in the refund process starting to happen for others and that makes me happy. 
I Hope we hear good news from you this week too!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coral said:

This just seems an odd response. What if I had minimal finger surgery, does this mean I wouldn't be able to cruise? I ask this oddly and for me, it may require a night stay because I don't deal with anthesthia (sp?) well.

She didn't say that if you had been hospitalized within the last two months you will be denied. She said if you haven't, you won't be (referring to the chronic illnesses). If you have no underlying condition, the rule doesn't even factor in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dog said:

When I spoke to rep who was trying to be very helpful she said if you are not hospitalized 2 months prior then you can cruise. I gave no specific illness was just inquiring re: CDC list of illnesses. 

Wish I had not posted what Princess rep told me. 
please ignore my posts. 

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am waiting on a new invoice for this Fall's cruise in any case as it should now show the revised FP Date as being AUG and not JUN.  (I can see the new date in my Personalizer when I pull up the EZ-Air flight details).  When I get that invoice, it should be missing the $350 and now show a higher balance owing.  My 2021 cruise invoice indicates the new $350 payment credit.

@Thrak, I can confirm the above is all correct as I received revised invoice this morning.  Again, hope you have success.

11 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So just to verify,  the reason they were put on FCC is because of choosing option 1 requesting that type of refund - correct?

That was my understanding of it.  I asked this exact question and he answered 'yes'.  

11 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

I have a lot of gift cards on my Alaskan cruise, however I cancelled to receive refund not FCC, the rep. I talked to said they would be sent out on new gift cards, and they can't add them back to existing cards.  I know for a fact that Carnival never adds them back to their original gift cards, first time using Princess gift cards and wasn't clear on their procedures.  I'm with you I don't want an expiration date on my $10K they owe me at this point, so definitely want the gift cards over the FCC option.

This is news to me.  Glad you posted that ... I was told to keep my gift card numbers and pins as it would go back to it if I canceled .... key word here, if 'I' canceled.  They must have changed their policy with all the cruises they have canceled.  I'm with you, I don't want some FCCs that could expire.  I want the gift cards back with no expiration date involved.  

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

That was my understanding of it.  I asked this exact question and he answered 'yes'.  

This is news to me.  Glad you posted that ... I was told to keep my gift card numbers and pins as it would go back to it if I canceled .... key word here, if 'I' canceled.  They must have changed their policy with all the cruises they have canceled.  I'm with you, I don't want some FCCs that could expire.  I want the gift cards back with no expiration date involved.  

Well I'm still holding on to mine for now, however it would be a nightmare to go back and put the different amounts from cruise fare, airfare, shore excursions, taxes & port fees from all the different gift cards.  We also put our adult kids excursions in another  cabin on the cards so yeah about $3K total there.  The rep. just stated that some don't keep their cards, so would have to be re-issued anyway.  I told her well at least Princess is going to get the money back, so it's not a full on cc refund.🤣  We have been using gift cards for the last 5-6 years on many cruises, this is the one time I totally regret it and probably won't be purchasing anymore.  Lesson learned ($10K later). 😉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Well I'm still holding on to mine for now, however it would be a nightmare to go back and put the different amounts from cruise fare, airfare, shore excursions, taxes & port fees from all the different gift cards.  We also put our adult kids excursions in another  cabin on the cards so yeah about $3K total there.  The rep. just stated that some don't keep their cards, so would have to be re-issued anyway.  I told her well at least Princess is going to get the money back, so it's not a full on cc refund.🤣  We have been using gift cards for the last 5-6 years on many cruises, this is the one time I totally regret it and probably won't be purchasing anymore.  Lesson learned ($10K later). 😉

Absolutely!!  Lessons learned on buying several gift cards with the attitude, 'we'll always use them so why not?'.   I don't want to be stuck with any more FCCs ... or gift cards for that matter.  I would call it even if they just gave me my money back on a 1 to 1 ratio.  I do love cruising but all these delays in refunds, restrictions on this and that, ever changing polices,  Princess selling cruises they absolutely know can't possibly happen ... it's just frustrating.  Much of this is not their fault ... I don't believe they are responsible for most of what is happening here but their lack of communication and changing policies are self inflicted wounds.  I read the forums for other lines and they are really no different.  

Anyway ... trying to stay patient!!  And ... thanks for the news about getting refunded onto a new gift card.  That makes sense.  

I woke up this morning and realized I was almost certainly clouding the issue with my OBC. There is really no reason to tell Princess that the OBC I have was purchased using gift cards. At this point it merely shows as purchased OBC. I'll wait a while and call them again one of these day and just ask them to move the OBC without mentioning gift cards at all.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Coral said:

I was going off of "being in the hospital in the last 2 months"...... 🙂 I have heard that possible requirement thrown around.

It said "hospitalized" which I read to mean admitted to the hospital, not having outpatient visit like going to the emergency room for a minor finger injury. But what do I know?

• Like 1

Just now, Earthworm Jim said:

It said "hospitalized" which I read to mean admitted to the hospital, not having outpatient visit like going to the emergency room for a minor finger injury. But what do I know?

I just had vagueness.  I know what you mean.

I had an x-ray recently at a hospital. They make you go through the same process to be admitted to the hospital as if you were staying for a week. Wrist band and everything.

They need to be clear. I think they just have it so if you show up at the dock looking sickly, you can be denied boarding.

15 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

If Cruise Raider is referring to me, I had a Transatlantic that I owed $3148 on for next year and had paid $3210 total (2776 cruise fare) for the 2nd half of a B2B (took & received Option 2 for the 1st half. Already got that).  If I got the refund on gift cards like a $50 credit on the 1st half it would mean I still owed some. As I did it ($$ 1st half, FCC 2nd half) it maximized my cash refund, paid for 2 cruises while paying off the 3rd, and left $1,513.00 Cruise Credits in the bank. And they did add $50 back to an expired card which Princess Card Services replaced.

Your needs will vary / if Cruise Raider isn't referring to me then please excuse / ignore my long winded response

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

'Hospitalization' refers to inpatient admissions ... at least it does in the world of medicine.  Outpatient procedures and observation patients are not considered hospitalizations, but rather,  23 hr hold patients, even though they occupy a bed, usually on a different unit (or ambulatory surgery setting) than inpatients.   Emergency department are also not referred to as 'hospitalizations'.  

Those that have inpatient visits but not for an illness .... 

I can't even imagine that they would consider Labor and Delivery hospitalizations to count against you when boarding a ship.  

Joint replacement hospitalizations?  Hmmmm?  Guessing one wouldn't want to go on a moving ship within 2 months of their surgery.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ombud said:

If Cruise Raider is referring to me, I had a Transatlantic that I owed $3148 on for next year and had paid $3210 total (2776 cruise fare) for the 2nd half of a B2B (took & received Option 2 for the 1st half. Already got that).  If I got the refund on gift cards like a $50 credit on the 1st half it would mean I still owed some. As I did it ($$ 1st half, FCC 2nd half) it maximized my cash refund, paid for 2 cruises while paying off the 3rd, and left $1,513.00 Cruise Credits in the bank. And they did add $50 back to an expired card which Princess Card Services replaced.

Your needs will vary / if Cruise Raider isn't referring to me then please excuse / ignore my long winded response

Yes ... I believe I was referring to you.  I asked if you chose option #1 ... I interpreted your reply to mean you got FCCs back in place of your gift card balance instead of being returned back to your gift card.  Is that what happened?  

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

I called the number you posted for gift cards and spoke to the nicest guy named Greg.  

He told me that the gift cards are not refundable under any circumstance.  I asked how they were handling gift cards that were applied to a cruise that Princess has canceled.  He said they were building new card numbers and I would have to contact the email contact to request this refund.  

Here is the response I received from my email request:

Thank you for contacting Princess Gift Card Support.
All refunds will be going back to their original form of payment, however, at this time, the funds have not yet been credited back to your original gift card.
Given the volume of refund requests, to ensure each guests request is handled accurately and in a coordinated manner, please allow approximately 60 days for refunds to be posted. Please know that all refunds will be processed in due course, but at this time, delays should be anticipated and we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.
We greatly appreciate your patience!

When I expressed my concern over it being refunded as FCCs instead of being put back onto my gift card ... I have a complicated reason as to why I haven't chosen an cancellation option for that cruise as of yet. 

As long as you've chosen option #2, the refunds will go back to the form of payment on file. If you don't choose an option, they'll end up turning into FCCs. If you need option #2 chosen for a booking, you can call 1-800-PRINCESS (774-6237) or let us know and we can have the proper code put onto your booking. I hope this helps!

I need to call that number and hope I get someone this helpful on the line.  

So, long story short ... the gift cards will go back onto the original card number used or come back as FCCs.  I do not want more FCCs that will include an expiration date.  I just wish this all wasn't so complicated.  

31 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes ... I believe I was referring to you.  I asked if you chose option #1 ... I interpreted your reply to mean you got FCCs back in place of your gift card balance instead of being returned back to your gift card.  Is that what happened?  

Yes partially on the March B2B 

1st half ($3150 to cc & 537FCC ×2).  Option 2. Inc 50 to a new gift card as it was put on an expired bonus one. Missing 537×2 FCC and trying to track that down

2nd half (5552FCC & $484). Option 1

Spent FCC:

1st TA = 537 which inc 202 OBC bought. Will take gift card replenishment if cancelled by Princess

Dec Ruby = 569 (mine) + 537 (granddaughter's)

2nd TA = 2776 FCC 

Still in bank 1513

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

Well... I sent email last night and got a reply this morning. Princess seems to hire people who can't read or can't comprehend what the read. I sent this:

====================

I applied five $50 "bonus" gift cards to a cruise that may well end up being cancelled. I have other Princess cruises booked for next May and am hoping to simply move the $250 in OBC to one of those cruises.  I can't have them cancelled and reissued because it would take a long time and the cards have an expiration date of 4/30/2020.

The cards are currently associated with booking XXXXX - 6 Days Southern Australia.  I would like to transfer those funds as OBC for booking XXXXX - 18 Days Europe - Trans-Atlantic. I am attaching a document with images of the gift cards and the relevant info.

I'm not trying to cash out or anything of that sort. I merely want to have the cards applied to a different booking. Obviously, if this is not possible I will have to leave the cards with their current disposition but would greatly prefer to move them to the other booking number.

Please advise if this is possible.

========================

I received this in reply:

================

We were able to extend your two promotional gift cards to Sept 30, 2020, however, at this time, the funds have not yet been credited back to your original gift card.

Given the volume of refund requests, to ensure each guests request is handled accurately and in a coordinated manner, please allow approximately 60 days for refunds to be posted. Please know that all refunds will be processed in due course, but at this time, delays should be anticipated and we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.

Once processed, you will be able to apply that as a special service onboard credit to your other reservation.

Sincerely,

Kim on behalf of

Princess Gift Card Support=

====================================

What the heck??? The document I sent had pictures of FIVE gift cards and the numbers and PIN for each one. What's the deal with them talking about TWO cards?

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

In Canada (Ontario at least), the situation you just described (an ER treatment) is not an admission.

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Well... I sent email last night and got a reply this morning. Princess seems to hire people who can't read or can't comprehend what the read. I sent this:

====================

I applied five $50 "bonus" gift cards to a cruise that may well end up being cancelled. I have other Princess cruises booked for next May and am hoping to simply move the $250 in OBC to one of those cruises.  I can't have them cancelled and reissued because it would take a long time and the cards have an expiration date of 4/30/2020.

The cards are currently associated with booking XXXXX - 6 Days Southern Australia.  I would like to transfer those funds as OBC for booking XXXXX - 18 Days Europe - Trans-Atlantic. I am attaching a document with images of the gift cards and the relevant info.

I'm not trying to cash out or anything of that sort. I merely want to have the cards applied to a different booking. Obviously, if this is not possible I will have to leave the cards with their current disposition but would greatly prefer to move them to the other booking number.

Please advise if this is possible.

========================

I received this in reply:

================

We were able to extend your two promotional gift cards to Sept 30, 2020, however, at this time, the funds have not yet been credited back to your original gift card.

Once processed, you will be able to apply that as a special service onboard credit to your other reservation.

Sincerely,

Kim on behalf of

Princess Gift Card Support=

====================================

What the heck??? The document I sent had pictures of FIVE gift cards and the numbers and PIN for each one. What's the deal with them talking about TWO cards?

I guess you will have to follow up.  Seems a bit similar to several contacts I had to make in late-Feb/early-Mar to ensure I got emails with codes for all seven of my GC's and all seven of my Bonus GC's. 

It looks to me like the GC Dept is extending the expiry date for your Bonus GC's so that you can get them cancelled/refunded from Cruise #1 and still have a window of opportunity to re-spend them on Cruise #2.

I am realizing you keep referring to the Bonus GC amount as OBC.  Did you specifically purchase OBC?  I used my Bonus GC's as additional deposit payments (IOW, a payment against my balance owing for the cruise).  Perhaps that is easier to re-coup and transfer to another booking. 

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:
As long as you've chosen option #2, the refunds will go back to the form of payment on file. If you don't choose an option, they'll end up turning into FCCs. If you need option #2 chosen for a booking, you can call 1-800-PRINCESS (774-6237) or let us know and we can have the proper code put onto your booking. I hope this helps!

I need to call that number and hope I get someone this helpful on the line.  

So, long story short ... the gift cards will go back onto the original card number used or come back as FCCs.  I do not want more FCCs that will include an expiration date.  I just wish this all wasn't so complicated.  

I didn't think about this before perhaps, but seems pretty obvious now.  Customers electing Option #2 (cash refunds) will get funds back on a Gift Card since that is like cash.  Customers electing Option #1 (FCC) will not get anything back on a GC since they are like paying with cash or Visa.  Something to consider when choosing.  The GC's never expire, but FCC will.  If I had a lot of 2020 bookings, I'd be going with the cash option for the most part.

When we likely cancel our Fall 2020, we won't have made any payment other than $200 FCD's, so a no-brainer.  Lucky us.