If You Are Scared To Cruise, Don't Cruise.

2 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

My fear is they will have shorter cruises first (less time to have a major outbreak). 

So back to the theme of this thread, "am I scared to cruise"... perhaps you and likely many others, believe that there's a better than good possibility that a cruise will have an outbreak. I fear this. I don't fear this for my health... I fear this for the industry. In my sincere opinion, just one mistake by CCL in August for example will kill cruising until a vaccine or immune test is 100% proven and available to the world.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chip and Dale said:

Meaford 😁

We used to live in Woodstock when dinosaurs 🦖  🦕 roamed the earth!

Ah yes Meaford, ok, my wife was from Woodstock lol

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

How is it that you Long Islander guys don't go while I trek 1 hour, 20 minutes from upstate (well, above Westchester) 3-4 times a year?

Anyway, A lot of money has been spent on Jones Beach the past few years.  Large sections of the boardwalk were rebuilt, new bathrooms and showers so they no longer look like something out of a 1920's prison, some new food concessions, a new beach bar with the requisite  bar games (giant Jenga, Giant Connect 4, etc), new shuffleboard and basketball courts with proper lighting.  I usually make a day trip out of it and will stay well into the night playing shuffle board or mini-golf.

This weekend, I don't think they are limiting residences as it's a state park (I think that is for other LI beaches).  But they are limiting parking to 50% capacity and expect them to be filled by 10-11 am. Also, no food concessions or beach games allowed.

I probably won't go until after 4th of July at the earliest.

No self respecting Nassau or Suffolk county resident goes to Jones beach  We either go to our private town beaches, or Robert Moses. If we are making a trip we will hit some wineries on the way to Orient Point on the North Fork or Montauk/Hamptons on the South fork.  My son and his friends went to Montauk this morning. He figured local beaches would be crowded.   The only time we go to Jones beach is at night for the concerts and to walk the boardwalk. I haven't done that in a few years.  

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

How is it that you Long Islander guys don't go while I trek 1 hour, 20 minutes from upstate (well, above Westchester) 3-4 times a year?

Anyway, A lot of money has been spent on Jones Beach the past few years.  Large sections of the boardwalk were rebuilt, new bathrooms and showers so they no longer look like something out of a 1920's prison, some new food concessions, a new beach bar with the requisite  bar games (giant Jenga, Giant Connect 4, etc), new shuffleboard and basketball courts with proper lighting.  I usually make a day trip out of it and will stay well into the night playing shuffle board or mini-golf.

This weekend, I don't think they are limiting residences as it's a state park (I think that is for other LI beaches).  But they are limiting parking to 50% capacity and expect them to be filled by 10-11 am. Also, no food concessions or beach games allowed.

I probably won't go until after 4th of July at the earliest.

I have very good friends living on the border of Westchester and Putnam counties.They come to LI in the summer and spend about 10 hours in LI before going back home.

8 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

What about the Hamptons?  I remember Donald trump tried to open a restaurant at Jones Beach. Not sure what happened to that endeavor 

He tried to replace the original 1936 restaurant but the State killed the plans. He proposed that the building have a basement and the State wouldn't allow a basement in a flood zone.  

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

He tried to replace the original 1936 restaurant but the State killed the plans. He proposed that the building have a basement and the State wouldn't allow a basement in a flood zone.  

I heard that he wanted to build something in Long Beach too about 20 years ago.

43 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

No self respecting Nassau or Suffolk county resident goes to Jones beach  We either go to our private town beaches, or Robert Moses.

I actually prefer Robert Moses. Less crowded and I enjoy the walk to the lighthouse.  And on the wide open Ocean Parkway, it's  only 15-20 minute drive past Jones.

But after admiring the views of the Manhattan skyline while crawling across on the Whitestone Bridge and then checking out the local scenery on the Northern and Meadowbook parkways while wearing out the cars brakes, my DW and bladder tell me it's time to stop as we drive past Jones.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have very good friends living on the border of Westchester and Putnam counties.They come to LI in the summer and spend about 10 hours in LI before going back home.

My exact situation.10 hours is the minimum. Gotta make the drive worth it. Although the drive back can be tough some evenings.

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

What are private beaches?  

They are township beaches that originally only allowed residents of the town to belong to since we paid for them in our property tax. Over the years do to discrimination laws non residents were allowed if they paid the higher entrance fee.  The fee is a lot more than what the state park beaches charge (Jones and Robert Moses) and the state beaches offer a lot more entertainment other than sitting at the beach and swimming.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I actually prefer Robert Moses. Less crowded and I enjoy the walk to the lighthouse.  And on the wide open Ocean Parkway, it's  only 15-20 minute drive past Jones.

Even you can appreciate the difference.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

No self respecting Nassau or Suffolk county resident goes to Jones beach  We either go to our private town beaches, or Robert Moses. If we are making a trip we will hit some wineries on the way to Orient Point on the North Fork or Montauk/Hamptons on the South fork.  My son and his friends went to Montauk this morning. He figured local beaches would be crowded.   The only time we go to Jones beach is at night for the concerts and to walk the boardwalk. I haven't done that in a few years.  

We have not been on Jones Beach since about 1985.We were last at a concert about 20 years ago.We had friends in the Hamptons and we would go out there .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They are township beaches that originally only allowed residents of the town to belong to since we paid for them in our property tax. Over the years do to discrimination laws non residents were allowed if they paid the higher entrance fee.  The fee is a lot more than what the state park beaches charge (Jones and Robert Moses) and the state beaches offer a lot more entertainment other than sitting at the beach and swimming.

Private Beaches in a Liberal State???  That seems odd and out of sync. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

But after admiring the views of the Manhattan skyline while crawling across on the Whitestone Bridge and then checking out the local scenery on the Northern and Meadowbook parkways while wearing out the cars brakes, my DW and bladder tell me it's time to stop as we drive past Jones.

My exact situation.10 hours is the minimum. Gotta make the drive worth it. Although the drive back can be tough some evenings.

They normally leave my house close to 11 PM and usually do not hit traffic.We go up to their area in the Spring and Fall for the day followed by going to dinner in White Plains at an Italian restaurant that is a favorite of ours. 

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Private Beaches in a Liberal State???  That seems odd and out of sync. 

Long Island (Nassau, Suffolk) is predominantly Republican.  They wanted to keep NYC residents out. 

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Surely you’re not suggesting the State of New York, is a Conservative State?

We are referring to Long Island and not the entire state,In the town of Hempstead  nearly all the elected officials are Republican/Conservative.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Surely you’re not suggesting the State of New York, is a Conservative State?

I'm suggesting that Long Island doesn't share the same political ideals as the rest of the state. Long Islanders don't even acknowledge any county past Westchester. The only reason we have any affiliation with NYC is because a lot of us commute to there to work. Also remember these rules were made back in the 30's when Robert Moses was developing Long Island. Long Island didn't boom until after WWII. 

I have to edit this to elaborate on the the LI attitude. A lot of our parents grew up in apartment buildings in Queens and Brooklyn. When they move out on Long Island and bought a home they had a very bad attitude toward anyone who still lived in those boroughs.  I remember my mother making comments as new neighbors move in every time they took a tree down. The first thing they do when they come from Brooklyn is take down the trees.  My father had to remind her where she came from. My life growing up was a constant reminder of how lucky I was to be able to live on Long Island with beaches and not have to run through a fire hydrant in queens.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Thanks 1

I wouldnt scare people for nothing really. You can get sick or get in trouble on shore as well. The only difference will be is that in the first case you will be on shore while on the other case you will be locked up on the cruiser. If someone is afraid of cruising its better to fight your fears and just cruise to see what things are really like. Its my personal opinion 

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm suggesting that Long Island doesn't share the same political ideals as the rest of the state. Long Islanders don't even acknowledge any county past Westchester. The only reason we have any affiliation with NYC is because a lot of us commute to there to work. Also remember these rules were made back in the 30's when Robert Moses was developing Long Island. Long Island didn't boom until after WWII. 

I have to edit this to elaborate on the the LI attitude. A lot of our parents grew up in apartment buildings in Queens and Brooklyn. When they move out on Long Island and bought a home they had a very bad attitude toward anyone who still lived in those boroughs.  I remember my mother making comments as new neighbors move in every time they took a tree down. The first thing they do when they come from Brooklyn is take down the trees.  My father had to remind her where she came from. My life growing up was a constant reminder of how lucky I was to be able to live on Long Island with beaches and not have to run through a fire hydrant in queens.

I lived in Brooklyn from birth to 2003.My friends began leaving in 1990.Some to Westchester,some to NJ and the rest of us gradually to LI.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

I lived in Brooklyn from birth to 2003.My friends began leaving in 1990.Some to Westchester,some to NJ and the rest of us gradually to LI.

Have you ever notice that Brooklyn and Queens is never acknowledged as being part of Long Island by either the people who live in those counties or the people living in Nassau or Suffolk.  

45 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

They normally leave my house close to 11 PM and usually do not hit traffic.We go up to their area in the Spring and Fall for the day followed by going to dinner in White Plains at an Italian restaurant that is a favorite of ours. 

Graziellea? Buon Amici?  Tres Angeliea?

I worked in White Plains for 20 years.