MSC UK: Anyone got a refund

Vlad 1 of 4

18 hours ago, lovetoholiday said:

I see the Americans are starting to get their refunds through.  Has anyone here in the UK had theirs yet?

Not a word! I haven't even received a generic 'thanks for your request' from my email request on 4 May. Getting a bit concerned as to whether I am in the system.

I booked via a TA but going to pursue myself, as I've heard nothing constructive from them either. I used the operationsuk@msccruises.co.uk email address. Has anyone else had any luck with other routes?

I did receive a refund from P&O this week (74 day wait from applying), after chasing and using tips and advice from others on this site.

Would be good to know if anything positive is happening for UK customers.

2 hours ago, WH_Cruise said:

Am i mad for holding on to the 125% cruise credit?

I am thinking by next May (when we want to sail) there will be a level of normality........or is that just wishful thinking?

I've taken the FCC and booked Rome to Dubai 18/11 , not sure if it will happen but will just rebook for next year if not. Took 70 days to get refunds from Emirates for flights totally £3.3k so feeling a bit Happier as got all hotels, trips etc refunded as well.

Since they originally said they weren't even refunding the UK - only the US - and only caved in after pressure, I think it will be a long long time before we see many refunds in the UK.

It's been 3 months now.

I have loads of generic emails, excuses about lock down and remote working and now they just say it's out of their control. 

My refund was agreed before lock down and remote working.  It should have been received within days at the end of Feb. I've sent a list of questions regarding their refund policy, where I am in the queue, how much interest they'll be applying to my money etc. etc. After not getting answers for a month it's been passed to the accounts team who haven't answered me for weeks. I chase it and get told it's 'out of their control'

I don't believe they've processed any refunds at all and are just hanging onto our money. 

I'm thoroughly fed up with them and I'm now wondering if I'll ever get it back. Complaint going into ABTA when I collate all their pointless replies. 

7 minutes ago, weejasser said:

Finally got my refund today for cancelled Dubai to Tokyo cruise that should have left Dubai on the 21st of March

I think that's the best result I've read so far regarding a UK booked cruise.  Have I been paying attention or missed something else?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weejasser said:

Finally got my refund today for cancelled Dubai to Tokyo cruise that should have left Dubai on the 21st of March

I think that's the first I've heard. Well done 😀

Hope you don't mind me asking some questions: Did you apply via the operations email address which they eventually put on the website in April? Did you book directly or with a TA and, if the latter, I know you can't name them but can you give a hint who they are and did they apply for the refund on your behalf or did you do it directly.

Thanks

• Like 1

I booked with a UK TA - they have a channel on Sky TV and claim to be first. I never heard a thing from them (other than the call before the cruise to say it was cancelled) until the end of April when I received an Abta credit note via email to which I sent a reply to the TA saying I wanted a cash refund. It then appeared on my card yesterday. 

I doubt very much that I'll book another MSC Cruise - other cruise lines that I also have cruises currently booked with have been much more forthcoming. MSC appear to having been playing catchup all the time and their comms have been shocking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, scousescott said:

Finally got my refund on Tuesday.

We were due to sail on the Preziosa out of Southampton on 22 April.

Good Luck!

Well done. We were due to be on the cruise bringing Preziosa  from Barbados on 31st March - still waiting for our refund!! Did you book direct or with a Travel Agent?

• Like 1

Hi Bobal, We booked through a very well known High St. T.A. chain.  I have used them for many years and had great service.

As soon as they advised that the cruise was cancelled I asked for a refund and not FCC.  They even rang me a days after the

cruise would have returned to confirm my choice.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2020 at 7:39 PM, scousescott said:

Finally got my refund on Tuesday.

We were due to sail on the Preziosa out of Southampton on 22 April.

Good Luck!

You have made my weekend, and given me hope for my refund.  We were due to be on the 22 April cruise too, and applied (via TA) almost immediately after the cancellation.

Bobal - keep us informed how you get along with your refund, and good luck.

• Like 1

A slight update. When our cruise was cancelled it was at the time MSC were only offering FCCs in the UK. We told our TA that we wanted a refund (in accordance with the T&Cs) and he said he would request one. He was then furloughed and we heard nothing more. When MSC finally backed down (no doubt after pressure) in mid April and said they would allow refunds I applied via the the email address on the website and had an acknowledgement which said it could take up to 120 days from application - which would mean mid-August.

Our TA is now back and I spoke with him this week. Apparently the agency (a big online cruise agency) had actually requested refunds for a number of people and we have been told that the money will be refunded to our account next week. I actually have a suspicion that MSC had already refunded the agency and they have been sitting on our money (it's happened before with this agency). However, if the money arrives next week that's a lot earlier than mid-August and it shows the agency did actually go out to bat for us when the cruise was cancelled. Fingers crossed and will update when (if) the refund arrives.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 10:53 AM, Bobal said:

Since they originally said they weren't even refunding the UK - only the US - and only caved in after pressure, I think it will be a long long time before we see many refunds in the UK.

They are barely refunding in the US.  I think most that are getting a refund are getting it via CC disputes.  If youve waited more than 60 days and that avenue exists for you, Id recommend it instead of continuing to wait for MSC.

I got this email from cruise 1st.

I was booked to cruise on the 9th April.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email.

I have checked your booking and the refund from MSC Cruises is not showing as received, but be assured as soon as our finance team have confirmed the funds are reconciled on your booking a refund will be made available to you.

I apologize for the delay; our finance team are working through the high volume of received refunds as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The refund will be due before the 31st July 20, we will be working through all booking and contacting our customers but if you haven’t heard from us around this date please can you send us an email us so we can call you to refund you.

Kind Regards,

Sarah

Customer Services

Tel: 0161 385 7425

Cruise1st Unit F1A, Lowry Outlet Mall, Salford, M50 3AH 

www.cruise1st.co.uk  

This same company rang me about 3 weeks ago about our April 22nd cancelled cruise and was told it could be September before money is returned.

You have to wonder are MSC holding onto our money or has the Travel agent got it but blaming MSC !

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

This same company rang me about 3 weeks ago about our April 22nd cancelled cruise and was told it could be September before money is returned.

You have to wonder are MSC holding onto our money or has the Travel agent got it but blaming MSC !

Who knows?

But her last part of the email made me laugh, as if there going to reply to my email.Will take 7 days at least!

'but if you haven’t heard from us around this date please can you send us an email us so we can call you to refund you.'

We have been waiting since February for our refund. The travel agent said they couldn't pay us until MSC paid them, which is understandable. Now the travel agent; Ahoy cruises has gone bust. So will take it up with ATOL, hopefully we will get paid before they go bust.

• Like 1