Jade or Breakaway Western Caribbean Itinerary

Heavy's wife

New to NCL.  We were supposed to cruise this past March on the Pearl, Western Caribbean itinerary.

Looking at  the Jade ("club suite") or Breakaway "Large Balcony" next March.  We are a family of 3 (daughter will be 17 at the time of the cruise).

Which is your favourite? Pros? Cons?  Any info would be appreciated. 

Stay well everyone.

17 minutes ago, Heavy's wife said:

New to NCL.  We were supposed to cruise this past March on the Pearl, Western Caribbean itinerary.

Looking at  the Jade ("club suite") or Breakaway "Large Balcony" next March.  We are a family of 3 (daughter will be 17 at the time of the cruise).

Stay well everyone.

I believe it is a matter of personal preference. I am not a fan of the mega ships. Too many people for me and too many crowds. I generally try to book ships with 2K or fewer passengers. The Breakaway carries 3900 or so passengers and the Jade is at 2400. I have been on the Jade several years ago and enjoyed it very much. I'm not interested in rock climbing, or go-cart tracks while sailing, but I understand that those things appeal to others. NCL probably wont wow you with extraordinary dining, or production shows. NCL does offer flexible dining, and that is helpful for me, even if a little under whelming. The shows and entertainment are okay, but vary greatly from ship to ship. Best wishes in finding a format that works well for you.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heavy's wife said:

Stay well everyone.

The breakaway is a mega ship and will have a lot more entertainment and dining options for everyone. The BA would be our choice. 

the vast majority of people who pay [a lot of] extra money for a large balcony hardly use them. They rather be up on deck with all of the action. And large balconies are exposed, so everyone is looking down and watching you. 

• Like 1

Breakaway is a big mega ship. So, you get waterslides, more variety of entertainment, later nightlife, but a very cramped pool deck on sea days.

Jade is a more traditional experience. Smaller, but not small by any standards. Less variety of entertainment options, less late night options, but a much nicer pool deck.

I've sailed on both ships and would not hesitate to sail again on either one. It really is about personal  preference.

• Like 1

Another vote for Breakaway.  There are endless options for entertainment for both teens and adults.  We especially enjoy the water front and the variety of dining options.  Our twenty-somethings loved the water slides and the high energy pool deck.  We haven't been on the Jade class ships so can only give you a one-sided opinion.

• Like 1

We had the exact decision to make a few weeks ago, with the same ships the same month, and booked the Breakaway.  Honestly, I cant remember why we ended up picking the Breakaway, because it was a close call.  I think two things for us. First, I dont think the Jade has a Spa Minisuite, which is what we had on the cancelled cruise, and wanted it this time too.  The other factor was that we preferred leaving out of NOLA (although Tampa would have been good too).  For us it is just my wife and me. We are experienced cruisers (25+ cruises, on several lines), and this march was going to be the first in 20 years without any children.

Both itineraries are the same, and I dont think you can go wrong with either choice. 

• Like 1

Our criteria would be pricing. If the itinerary is identical we would rather pay less and go on the smaller ship.

That being said, you might want to do a little research on what is available for a 17 year old to do; as some have commented, the Jade may not have enough options.

• Like 1

I went on Breakaway last September.. It was a ship I was actually avoiding, but my friend and her son wanted to go to the Caribbean and Breakaway was the only Ncl ship with a decent itinerary.. Long story short, it's now my favorite ship and I look forward to cruising on her again! Loved Syd Normans

• Like 1

Been on both with my teen daughter. She actually liked the jade better.  Too many of the outdoor recreational things on the breakaway were never open (like rock climbing etc) so it was just a tease 

Edited by cruisinreunion
  • Like 1