Favorite Menu Items for Paid Dinners at Cucina del Capitano

Luvsnorkeling

3 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

...fallback plan is softserve ice cream from the Lido deck.

My fallback  plan is a Mocha Milkshake made with chocolate and coffee ice cream and real espresso from the Shake Shack.  Can substitute vanilla for chocolate to turn it into a latte.  Included with Cheers.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:22 AM, DAllenTCY said:

The bread is fabulous.... I had the pork chop.  Next cruise I have 2 nights set aside for Cucina del Capitano.

It is a very small venue (as is JiJi) and the service is impeccable at both.

A small bottle of Chianti is reasonably priced, too.  

David

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f296de1e6dc8f2e072655

• Haha 2

On 4/30/2020 at 6:48 PM, Colorado Cruzer said:

All of these items were delicious!

App:          Burrata Cheese

Entree:      Short rib with side of linguine alfredo

Dessert:     I can't remember the name but it was a lemon polenta cake with a sorbet and cream.  

really good!

I  may have to look at that menu again and figure out what the call the short rib. The one at JiJi is really good.

10 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I  may have to look at that menu again and figure out what the call the short rib. The one at JiJi is really good.

Costina del Manzo.  Had it the first two times we went back on the Breeze in 2013. Very good.  But the Tomahawk Pork Chop is a step above, IMHO.

On 5/2/2020 at 5:49 AM, SNJCruisers said:

We had an order of fingerling potatoes that could have fed 3-4 people.  The first time we went we had an order of fettucine alfredo that we split as a side dish.  Favorite entree is the Tomahawk Pork Chop.

Thanks, is there an extra charge for the sides? We need to make the most of our OBC. :)

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Costina del Manzo.  Had it the first two times we went back on the Breeze in 2013. Very good.  But the Tomahawk Pork Chop is a step above, IMHO.

Thanks. I’ll put it on my list of things to try. So far the pork chop is my favorite.

7 hours ago, MalleyCat said:

Thanks, is there an extra charge for the sides? We need to make the most of our OBC. 🙂

No, you can get an app each, an entree each and sides and dessert.   One order of fingerling potatoes were enough for the two of us and we did not finish it.  Another time we split a fettuccine alfredo entree as a side and the waiter had no problem with it.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for all of your responses. With not being able to cruise right now, it's kind of fun to live vicariously through the experiences of others and anticipate having some of the same experiences when I finally get to cruise again.

I don't know about you, but I have read tons of trip reports in the last few weeks and enjoyed following different ones throughout their cruise--from leaving home until their return. Seeing it through their eyes and looking at all their photos makes me feel in some small way like I've made the trip myself. And it does help to scratch the cruising "itch." 😎

We'll try the Cucina for the first time on the Breeze this fall. We didn't think we would care for the Canaletto Italian specialty restaurant on Holland America and didn't try it for a long time. Wow, then we tried it in Jan. and went back a second night and also in Feb. and returned. I hope the Cucina is as good. I don't like Asian food so JiJi's wouldn't appeal to me all. 

3 hours ago, Djptcp said:

We'll try the Cucina for the first time on the Breeze this fall.

I feel that the Cucina at 15 pp is a much better value than what you pay at the Steakhouse and substantially better than the 35 they charge at Teppanyaki on those ships that have it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I feel that the Cucina at 15 pp is a much better value than what you pay at the Steakhouse and substantially better than the 35 they charge at Teppanyaki on those ships that have it. 

I really liked the teppanyaki. It was expensive ($32 I believe) but it was a lot of food with steak and lobster options.

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I really liked the teppanyaki. It was expensive ($32 I believe) but it was a lot of food with steak and lobster options.

The Teppanyaki is priced the same as land based ones, so there is no value in it to us.  We went to the Teppanyaki on either the NCL Escape or Bliss and enjoyed it, but it was part of a specialty package and was much cheaper than what Carnival is charging.

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

we always say the show at Tepanyaki was better than the food. The Short Rib at Cucina is excellent

Don't  know if it got rolled out to all of the ships in the fleet, but there was a 60.00 three meal deal that we had on the Horizon last August.  You got one night in the Steakhouse and then two 15.00 vouchers good at Cucina, Jiji's or a la carte sushi.  You saved 8.00.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Don't  know if it got rolled out to all of the ships in the fleet, but there was a 60.00 three meal deal that we had on the Horizon last August.  You got one night in the Steakhouse and then two 15.00 vouchers good at Cucina, Jiji's or a la carte sushi.  You saved 8.00.

I remember reading about that from early panorama cruisers. I planned on buying it on my panorama cruise in March but I never saw anything on it. Maybe they had it but I never saw it advertised or anything.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:43 AM, Saint Greg said:

Costina Di Manzo Con Porcini (porcini rubbed beef short rib) Slow braised porcini rubbed beef short rib served with salsa verde

• Like 1

Favorites at Cucina: Il Capitano's Signiture Arancini (fried rice balls, finished with ricotta and marinara sauce)... And, the pork chop, which they call "Grande Braciola Di Maiale": tomahawk pork chop with fennel pollen shallots, and crispy sage...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I remember reading about that from early panorama cruisers. I planned on buying it on my panorama cruise in March but I never saw anything on it. Maybe they had it but I never saw it advertised or anything.

I knew about it from here.  I only saw one blurb about it on I think day 2 in the daily planner.

33 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I knew about it from here.  I only saw one blurb about it on I think day 2 in the daily planner.

Yeah I just went back and looked at my fun times again. I don't see any mention of it.