SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

They did not say hold the booster can be. Only that it is in the provided amount of time after the 2nd shot was given. 

I meant to say, they did not say how old the booster can be........

3 hours ago, Capri73 said:

They can do what they want I choose not to get a booster.

I wasn't questioning your right to decide not to get a booster, only asking a question about why if you've already been vaccinated you'd decline to get a booster to restore the effectiveness of the vaccine. No need to answer; as you say, you can choose to do what you want.

In terms of Silversea, I was only saying that it makes sense for cruise lines to require people have boosters, as it drastically reduces the potential for a passenger on board one of their ships to fall seriously ill,  possibly require expensive treatment, or possibly require diverting a ship for an emergency medical evacuation of a passenger. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Azulann said:

Wonder who was involved in Crystal that has the vision to think like that for the future? 

An excellent question!  Maybe my memory of corporate history for Royal Viking Line is incorrect, but it was rather different than the corporate history for Crystal.  If my memory is correct, its ownership was much more simplified in comparison to Crystal's history.  The fact that Mr. Hagan resurrected the Viking Ocean brand with its first ship being named Viking Star (just as Royal Viking's first ship was named Royal Viking Star) says to me that there is a different corporate mindset for the Viking Ocean brand as compared to what may hold for the Crystal brand.  

4 hours ago, Lirio said:

I received the same email today. I am booked for a Greenland cruise next August, 2022.

I I got the booster last november, so I am ok with that. I also got flu shot every year and whatever vaccin is available.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

An email from Barbara Muckermann arrived just now announcing that from March 1st all guests travelling on a Silversea Cruise will require a booster COVID shot.

Once again she trots out all the so called scientific background that constitutes their Healthy Cruising, but says nothing about the multiple Omicron outbreaks, onboard quarantine and ejections for land based quarantine that have occurring in the last few weeks.

Having a great time on Silver Whisper, stop complaining. 

29 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Having a great time on Silver Whisper, stop complaining. 

You must be one of the lucky ones who is in quarantine at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to come and let us know how things are going on the WC.

Edited by Silver Spectre

On 1/25/2022 at 9:56 AM, Lois R said:

Just received an email from SS in reference to the new booster requirement. 

I guess that keeps me off the ships, I had 2 Moderna shots and now developed a heart issue, that my Dr says MIGHT be a side effect from the vaccine…….  So I am very reluctant to take a third shot and test that theory.   Hopefully this all calms down and we get back to some normality.

1 minute ago, crusinbanjo said:

I guess that keeps me off the ships, I had 2 Moderna shots and now developed a heart issue, that my Dr says MIGHT be a side effect from the vaccine…….  So I am very reluctant to take a third shot and test that theory.   Hopefully this all calms down and we get back to some normality.

Appreciate all of these great comments and follow-ups.  Agree with Mr. Banjo as to the hopes for things to calm down and get back to a better form of "normal".    Great to get the positive update from HappyLadyTravels as to the WC 2022.  Glad that things are going well and you are being treated very nicely by the excellent and hard-working Silversea staff.  

My wife and I have had our Boosters with no challenges and/or other issues/questions. BUT, when will the second Booster be coming and what will be the requirements then?  Now down in Key West, Florida, enjoying the 76F temperatures and sunny skies.  A cruise would be nice, but no worries with testing, too many flights, etc., by taking this path to "chase the sun".  High of only 8F in Central Ohio this morning with snow on the ground.  More cold coming there.  

From MSN News and this connected website yesterday, they had this headline: So many vouchers, so little time: Cruise passengers struggle to use credits for canceled sailings before they expire with these highlights:What happens when you give a cruise line a loan but you’re the one who has to adhere to deadlines? Due to looming expiration dates, some passengers are finding it difficult to use cruise credits they chose when their sailings were canceled in 2020 and 2021.  When COVID-19 caused the cruise industry to curtail sailings, the cruise lines promised already-booked passengers more in credit (usually 125%) than what the cruisers originally paid for their fares. Many cruise fans opted for the credits instead of cash refunds in order to treat themselves to longer sailings or cabin upgrades down the road, courtesy of the cruise line.  This allowed cruise lines to retain cash — at 25% interest — at a time when ships weren’t bringing in revenue.  Two years later, ships are sailing again, but the virus’ omicron variant has prompted some lines to cancel more voyages, this time in 2022.

Here is more: "Cruisers have said they are now struggling to use the credits they accepted because they had multiple sailings booked for 2020 and 2021 and can’t possibly reschedule them all before the end of 2022. For those dealing with multiple cancellations, they now have several credits across different brands or, in some cases, so many credits with one brand that they aren’t sure they can use them all in time."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tips/so-many-vouchers-so-little-time-cruise-passengers-struggle-to-use-credits-for-canceled-sailings-before-they-expire/ar-AAT8zUn?ocid=BingNewsSearch

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe my memory of corporate history for Royal Viking Line is incorrect, but it was rather different than the corporate history for Crystal.  If my memory is correct, its ownership was much more simplified in comparison to Crystal's history.  The fact that Mr. Hagan resurrected the Viking Ocean brand with its first ship being named Viking Star (just as Royal Viking's first ship was named Royal Viking Star) says to me that there is a different corporate mindset for the Viking Ocean brand as compared to what may hold for the Crystal brand.  

Great background and history from our neighbor in SW Ohio about how certain cruise lines have "evolved" and continued into the "next life".  Crystal at this time might be a more challenging situation.  Bad timing??!!  Their two main ships are nice, but older.  It will take many more months than originally hoped for a return to historic passenger/payment levels.  Many good staffers might have shifted gears in not being willing to wait for a return.  Fortunately for now, Royal Caribbean is in fairly good shape with the their current cash-on-hand and does not really need more ships and/or a new brand with a tarnished image.  Right or wrong?  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 254,298 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For those doubting that we could have a good, fun time in the Florida Keys, below are a few pieces of "evidence".  This includes the beach where we stayed earlier in Islamorada, an Ibis bird who entertained us there, history at Hemmingway's home inside his writing studio at Key West and the sunset at Mallory Square last night.  Not a cruise, but does this look good?  Bring back any memories for those who have trained?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

CMC_4087.thumb.jpeg.d21fcaf12ef9c1b9cdcbaa7d10805bf5.jpeg

CMC_3563.thumb.jpeg.ed415be7cb9ec38fff88ed795cb87d63.jpeg

CMC_4135.thumb.jpeg.3b025d178f295b335ba97e00bc486051.jpeg

CMC_4304.thumb.jpeg.f052bc150750c924c7d1649beb37080f.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I think if cruise lines don't extend the dates for the FCC and just take thousands of £ / $ away from people, that is disgusting.  I would certainly trust they would do this for us if they cancel our July Alaska cruise. 

Super agree with the above comments by our friend from London. My Crystal Ball says you should be in good order for your upcoming Alaska cruise this summer.   These FCC questions could become a major PR/legal challenge facing the cruise lines.  And, for loyal and trusting customers??!!

Back in March-July 2020, nobody imagined that this "situation" would extend out this long.  Today we know more and have some decent options.  We do not, however, know what variant is looming next and/or how many exotic ports in places we want to visit will be open and allowing cruise visitors, etc.  Testing requirements keep changing and evolving. Just as Silversea and others have changed their Booster requirements, new changes and sales "pitches" will be coming.  Glad we do not have any large deposits, payments and/or FCC's at risk.  

Just waiting and watching with interest. Hoping for the best!!

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 243,347 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

19 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I was only saying that it makes sense for cruise lines to require people have boosters, as it drastically reduces the potential for a passenger on board one of their ships to fall seriously ill,  possibly require expensive treatment, or possibly require diverting a ship for an emergency medical evacuation of a passenger. 

YES, many important questions, comments and issues as relates to Boosters and more for many other parts of the world as to how it affects future cruise lines schedules, options and offerings.    

From the New York Times this morning, they had this headline: Vaccination Gap Could Let Another Dangerous Variant Emerge, Experts Say" with this sub-headline: "Omicron waves may be subsiding in parts of North America and Europe, but more than three billion people around the world have yet to receive a single vaccine shot, a World Health Organization official said.

Here are some of their reporting highlights:A coronavirus wave driven by the highly infectious Omicron variant wave may be cresting in parts of North America and Europe, but new cases are still climbing in less-vaccinated regions, and World Health Organization leaders warn that the global surge and the world’s wide vaccine gap could set the stage for another dangerous variant.   Maria Van Kerkhove, the agency’s Covid-19 technical lead, said: 'The fact remains that more than three billion people haven’t received their first dose yet, so we have a long way to g.,'  About 21 million cases were reported to the agency last week. 'There are many countries still in the middle of this Omicron wave.'  New daily cases remain at record highs globally, averaging about 3.3 million — an increase of more than 25 percent over two weeks and a staggering rise compared with a rate of about 600,000 a day in early December, according to a New York Times database.. Cases have continued to rise in Latin America, the Middle East and Asia.  And Omicron is still spreading in Eastern and Central Europe, where vaccination rates are lagging.  Although vaccine shortages are easing, only about 62 percent of the world’s population has received at least one shot, and a striking divide between the rich and poor regions of the world remains.  In low-income countries, only 10 percent of the population has received at least one dose. In high- and upper-middle-income countries, 78 percent have received at least one dose.  During Tuesday’s livestream, W.H.O. officials again emphasized that the virus would continue to circulate and that Omicron would not be the last variant. The next one would need to be even more contagious to overtake Omicron, Dr. Van Kerkhove said, adding that the 'big question' was whether it would be more severe.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01/26/world/omicron-covid-vaccine-tests

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 234,785 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

If you can get a note from your doctor stating you shouldn't have a booster due to your heart condition, I'd suggest contacting SS to see if they have medical exemptions to the booster requirement. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I hope your Crystal Ball is working well Terry, thank you! First we have to get to Dubai - PCR tests and masks!x  But will be a pleasure to go somewhere sunny!

Good luck in making it to Dubai.  And getting home safely to prepare for Alaska.  Yes, lots of sunshine and warmth there in the UAE.  We super enjoyed several days in late 2018 in a visit there after experiencing the Holy Lands, Egypt, etc.  Lots of unique buildings, many shopping opportunities, etc., in Dubai.  If you need more ideas for Alaska, check out my live/blog connected below.  Happy to share more, answer any questions, etc.    

From former USA Today editor and super travel expert Gene Sloan via MSN News this morning, they had this headline: Is it a terrible time to take a cruise? The feedback from current cruisers says otherwise with these highlights:It’s a terrible time to take a cruise. Or so you might think from reading some of the stories circulating about quarantined passengers and disrupted sailings.  But if that’s the case, the president of one of the world’s biggest cruise lines isn’t seeing it in the feedback he’s getting from customers.  Holland America president Gus Antorcha told TPG on Monday that the company — a bit to its surprise — has been seeing its highest customer satisfaction levels ever lately.

Here is more: "Speaking one-on-one from his home, Antorcha noted he had just visited three of the line’s 11 ships over the weekend to meet with crew and passengers, and he saw the unusually high satisfaction among current customers for himself.  One of the vessels, Rotterdam, had just recorded a net promotor score of 80 for its just-ended sailing — an astoundingly high number. Net promoter scores can range from -100 to 100, and a score between 0 and 30 is considered good for many companies. When asked about the discrepancy between some of the recent stories about unpleasant cruises and the customer satisfaction levels he’s seeing, Antorcha was careful not to be overly critical of the Fourth Estate.  'As far as what mainstream media covers, I don’t know. You know, that’s on them. They piece together whatever narrative they want,' he said. 'But as far as what’s occurring on our ships, I can tell you that guests are thrilled, because I have the data, and I’m on board and I’m [talking to] them.' "

Reactions and comments?

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/is-it-a-terrible-time-to-take-a-cruise-the-feedback-from-current-cruisers-says-otherwise/ar-AATa1tO?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  

Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Just as proof we have been to Dubai and loved it, below are few of my visual samples to help build up your excitement for being there.  If you need to buy gold, there are many options there.  Spend accordingly??!!  The buildings are big and one is very twisted!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

CMA_0051.thumb.jpeg.8db474c4fafedac9a2869ef5db14c265.jpeg

CMA_0067.thumb.jpeg.e06cf9e2481171f328059c6697bd19da.jpeg

CMA_0114.thumb.jpeg.5243edc472139d1c8518ccf0e1b2ece2.jpeg

CMA_0149.thumb.jpeg.cfad28648ad726f140748b6ee23b1fdb.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I think if cruise lines don't extend the dates for the FCC and just take thousands of £ / $ away from people, that is disgusting.  I would certainly trust they would do this for us if they cancel our July Alaska cruise. 

I was booked on the Jan 14th Spirit cruise which SS cancelled. It had been paid for with two FCCs, one of which expired last year and the other was due to expire this March. 
I asked my TA to ask them for an extension and they extended both FCCs for two years, till 2024. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Great background and history from our neighbor in SW Ohio about how certain cruise lines have "evolved" and continued into the "next life".  Crystal at this time might be a more challenging situation.  Bad timing??!!  Their two main ships are nice, but older.  It will take many more months than originally hoped for a return to historic passenger/payment levels.  Many good staffers might have shifted gears in not being willing to wait for a return.  Fortunately for now, Royal Caribbean is in fairly good shape with the their current cash-on-hand and does not really need more ships and/or a new brand with a tarnished image.  Right or wrong?  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 254,298 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For those doubting that we could have a good, fun time in the Florida Keys, below are a few pieces of "evidence".  This includes the beach where we stayed earlier in Islamorada, an Ibis bird who entertained us there, history at Hemmingway's home inside his writing studio at Key West and the sunset at Mallory Square last night.  Not a cruise, but does this look good?  Bring back any memories for those who have trained?:

CMC_4087.thumb.jpeg.d21fcaf12ef9c1b9cdcbaa7d10805bf5.jpeg

CMC_3563.thumb.jpeg.ed415be7cb9ec38fff88ed795cb87d63.jpeg

CMC_4135.thumb.jpeg.3b025d178f295b335ba97e00bc486051.jpeg

CMC_4304.thumb.jpeg.f052bc150750c924c7d1649beb37080f.jpeg

Terry--glad you're enjoying Key West--the best hideaway spot in the US. Just try to avoid the place that sells the frozen chocolate-covered key lime pie on a stick--truly, one of the most evil culinary inventions.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, taxatty said:

Terry--glad you're enjoying Key West--the best hideaway spot in the US. Just try to avoid the place that sells the frozen chocolate-covered key lime pie on a stick--truly, one of the most evil culinary inventions.

I totally agree, and hope you are doing the Duval shuffle every day

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Royal Caribbean  does not really need more ships and/or a new brand

None of the brands need more ships at this time.

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

"Cruisers have said they are now struggling to use the credits they accepted because they had multiple sailings booked for 2020 and 2021 and can’t possibly reschedule them all before the end of 2022. For those dealing with multiple cancellations, they now have several credits across different brands or, in some cases, so many credits with one brand that they aren’t sure they can use them all in time."

None of our crystal balls were working in 2020 or 2021, but, isn't there an old cliche of "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush"?  Not taking a cash refund and choosing, for whatever reason FCC, now seems not the best idea for those still hesitant to sail or trying to determine "how can these credits be used before they expire"?  

7 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

"Speaking one-on-one from his home, Antorcha noted he had just visited three of the line’s 11 ships over the weekend to meet with crew and passengers, and he saw the unusually high satisfaction among current customers for himself.

I don't know the man.  I have little reason to respect whatever he has to say.  He is a corporate man who has risen in the CCL "food chain" to his "august" position.  What would one expect President Antorcha to say?  Perhaps he failed to speak with those guests who have been quarantined on HAL vessels?  

18 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I was booked on the Jan 14th Spirit cruise which SS cancelled. It had been paid for with two FCCs, one of which expired last year and the other was due to expire this March. 
I asked my TA to ask them for an extension and they extended both FCCs for two years, till 2024. 

Extending FCC should not be an issue. The company has your money and will have it for and additional period because of the FCC extension. We had a similar situation with 2 other cruise lines and both extended the FCC. It took a bit of a fight with one of them but they eventually acquiesced.

14 hours ago, taxatty said:

Appreciate all of these additional kind comments and follow-ups.  Great info from jollyjones about Silversea being very flexible in extending the FCC.  Good news.  

Yes, have avoided the "frozen chocolate-covered key lime pie on a stick."  Below is a picture of the real Key Line Pie enjoyed at the Blue Heaven dining place with its rooster, etc.  And, good food and lots of character!!  That's a Keys tradition.  Need proof?  See more below.  

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 93,783 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Just a few samples from Key West yesterday, including the Key Line pie, a rooster there and a cute sign.  Finally, yes, we had another wonderful sunset at the southern-most point in the United States.:

CMC_4346.thumb.jpeg.8908c62a0c32fd78f510bd4949a03a4b.jpeg

CMC_4349.thumb.jpeg.9b1cc2da04bb621fd377a01a6eb0fbd2.jpeg

CMC_4343.thumb.jpeg.ec69887aca3c81d6c999a4d68ea655bd.jpeg

IMG_6424.thumb.jpeg.7a4b81672ec6c85085581e2fc78bacbf.jpeg

• Like 2

Sorry, Terry, that picture is not a true key lime pie! It looks like a lime base with a mound of meringue, and then perhaps some chocolate (gasp!) meringue on top? The real deal would have a graham cracker crust and a substantial layer of the key-lime filling and nothing more than a little whipped cream on top. It would look more like a less-tall version of cheesecake, not like a lemon meringue pie.

I guess you're going to have to keep trying more restaurants to find the best! 😉 (Google "best key lime pie key west"  for some clues, or check this Forbes article.) 

• Like 1