BCSays no international travellers

no fuss travel

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think most  cruise lines have already abandoned  the Alaska season  this year

What is  an essential visitor??

I recently checked  on hotels in Alaska  in tourist areas  like Denali.   Almost all hotels  have statements out that they will not open at all this year.  So they have not hired staff at all.   All national parks continue to remain closed...   Nowhere to go and no  where to stay. and the season is short

CC says: Canada: All Canadian ports are closed to cruise ships with more than 500 passengers through July 1, 2020. Arctic ports are closed for the entire season. Foreign nationals from all countries are barred from entering Canada. In addition, Canada has extended restrictions on any Canadian cruise ship from mooring, navigating, or transiting in Canadian Arctic waters (including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik and the Labrador Coast) until November 1, 2020.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/

Edited by Tansy Mews
Added source link

2 hours ago, Tansy Mews said:

In addition, Canada has extended restrictions on any Canadian cruise ship from mooring, navigating, or transiting in Canadian Arctic waters (including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik and the Labrador Coast) until November 1, 2020.

A bit redundant - can't imagine any cruise ship in Canadian Arctic much past September (icebreakers, maybe) 😀

One of our close friends owns 600 acres, and a house on the beach, on Cape Breton Island. They typically spend mid June - mid October on their property, on which they pay hefty Canadian taxes each year.

They are trying to ascertain if they can still come up this year. With the severe taxes on what volume of stuff they can cross the border with, an immediate 14 day quarantine is impossible. They have to go to the store or markets and buy food and needed supplies. 

Should the US treat Canadian snowbirds like the Canadian government appears to want to treat Canadian Property Owners from the US?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Should the US treat Canadian snowbirds like the Canadian government appears to want to treat Canadian Property Owners from the US?

Currently when entering Canada (at this point Canadian nationals only) are not permitted to to enter without a satisfactory self isolating plan. If not will be put in hotel for isolation period. Also if you have a place to isolate but  do not have persons who can grocery shop, dog walk etc   help to arrange for those services will be provided. These are the rules regardless of whether you are from Canada or Mars. If there are any Canadian snowbirds left in US (were encouraged to return home) .I am certain they are abiding by the rules of the jurisdiction where they are. No Canadians are currently permitted to return to their US properties - border closed by both governments We Canadians are being strongly encouraged to avoid all unnecessary travel and that includes going to second properties. I have been self isolating since March 13 when I returned from Costa Rica and have not yet been in a store and relied on online groceries, Amazon other online shopping.and we are doing quite fine albeit bored

Edited by LJRVancouver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Do you believe there may be even a tiny difference of shopping options in or around Vancouver as opposed to very rural Cape Breton Island?

Not sure where this is going but everything but supermarkets, pharmacies are closed down. Home Depot has had curb side pickup only. Finally hardware stores reopen next week. I live in downtown Toronto and I haven’t been anywhere except a short walk since March9 or so. 
There must be a light at the end of the tunnel! 

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Any restrictions on international travel aren't made by a provincial government  in Canada or a state government in the US. International travel is controlled by national governments, not local. I'm sure all your premier was doing was reiterating the international travel restrictions set by your national government.

Here are Canada's rules:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Ah yes, but our prime minister listens to the provincial premiers, not like your president .  None of the provinces want American visitors until the USA has the virus under control

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deus said:

In British Columbia - Home Depot has been open the whole time not just curb side pickup.  I know this for a fact.

Sorry, I meant here in Ontario, Canada. We Very few things have been open. A few anomalies - Costco and Walmart because they also sell food. 

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Isn't  the border closed to non essential travel  that means going  into the USA  by Canadian property owners also

My nephew in Texas usually comes home for a visit  in June each year ...not happening  this year

In B C, cottage owners have been discouraged to go to their cabins.  This includes Canadian citizens as well as international citizens.  People who own two homes in BC are suppose to stay at one only and not travel to the other. This is a good portion of the reason why our province is handling the virus as well as it has been handled.  The other reason was once they found out the common denominator to why the virus was spreading through nursing homes they stopped staff from working at more than one nursing home. This meant that the nursing homes had to use full time staff rather than part time staff. Dr Bonnie Henry has run our virus protection perfectly and each time there was a blip, she countered it with the correct procedure 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

LJR,

Do you believe there may be even a tiny difference of shopping options in or around Vancouver as opposed to very rural Cape Breton Island?

Yes  Cape Breton will have even less  opportunities  for shopping

We live outside of Toronto  (a large city)  I can tell you when DH goes shopping  the shelves are pretty dire here

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Isn't  the border closed to non essential travel  that means going  into the USA  by Canadian property owners also

My nephew in Texas usually comes home for a visit  in June each year ...not happening  this year

You are correct.  Canadians may not go to the US for non essential trips. 

1 hour ago, deus said:

In British Columbia - Home Depot has been open the whole time not just curb side pickup.  I know this for a fact.

you are lucky

I ordered online  from Can Tire  took 3 days   for curbside pick spot

2 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

You are correct.  Canadians may not go to the US for non essential trips. 

sorry I should have included  🙄

i think PL is fully aware of that  fact  & is just throwing the bait out to see who bites  😎

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

LJR,

Living on a small island here inBC, there is no difference in what we can’t buy in the small local store to what people living in Vancouver can’t buy. 

35 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

Ah yes, but our prime minister listens to the provincial premiers, not like your president .  None of the provinces want American visitors until the USA has the virus under control

The US and Canada have a bilateral agreement preventing nonessential travel in either direction, so we don't want you here either until you get the virus under control. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The US and Canada have a bilateral agreement preventing nonessential travel in either direction, so we don't want you here either until you get the virus under control. 

Yes but your President said Canadians are welcome to come visit.  Fortunately calmer heads than his, on both sides of the border, agreed that there should be no travel between the two countries.

• Like 2

I don't understand why the American that comes into Canada cannot bring up their groceries.  My sister has lived in the United States for over 40 years and she does it all the time.  She is not bringing up liquor though - just groceries.  She always lets Customs knows what she is bringing - never a problem and never has had to pay duty.

At this time, American's I pretty sure cannot travel up to Canada just for pleasure purposes.  However, my husband's good friend's adult child, lives in the USA and comes back and forth through the border to his job that is in Canada and he can do that without a problem.  

2 hours ago, deus said:

I don't understand why the American that comes into Canada cannot bring up their groceries.  My sister has lived in the United States for over 40 years and she does it all the time.  She is not bringing up liquor though - just groceries.  She always lets Customs knows what she is bringing - never a problem and never has had to pay duty.

At this time, American's I pretty sure cannot travel up to Canada just for pleasure purposes.  However, my husband's good friend's adult child, lives in the USA and comes back and forth through the border to his job that is in Canada and he can do that without a problem.  

That would be called "essential travel" I'm almost positive.