What should a new HAL CEO bring back to ships ?

rotjeknor

1 hour ago, whogo said:

While it was an unnecessary waste of money to change the logo, changing it back would be more so. But while we are dreaming, we should go farther back to a time with only two dinner seatings, assigned tables, no lido buffet, no balcony cabins, no television, no internet, with jacket and tie required except on formal nights when jacket and tie would not suffice.

not really, inside the ships and rooms you will still find the old logo, it's just the outside logo's that need to be changed

image.thumb.png.190dff18534cc1e7e833202c3ed1c026.png

On the première voyage of the Nieuw Statendam, we met up w/ the Marella Dream in Funchal.  The Dream (as Westerdam) was our first cruise.  Where it had been lengthened it had these stairwells that ended 'nowhere' -- ie a wall.     Scott. 

Small world we were also on the NS inaugural Cruise and noticed the old westerdam on our way into town. Westerdam was also our first HAL ship. Canada New England October 1998. (I think)

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

image.thumb.png.190dff18534cc1e7e833202c3ed1c026.png

On the première voyage of the Nieuw Statendam, we met up w/ the Marella Dream in Funchal.  The Dream (as Westerdam) was our first cruise.  Where it had been lengthened it had these stairwells that ended 'nowhere' -- ie a wall.     Scott. 

That’s weird ! Too bad I can’t ask my old man about that (as he has passed) , he was responsible for the technical part of this operation. I saw the ready segment at Meyer Werft in Papenburg, quite impressive.

21 hours ago, Despegue said:

What should NOT return though, are the wasteful night buffets, although great for picture taking and Instacrap etc. We live in different times, and wasting food is not done socially.

they can reinvent these events though .

regarding Dutch heritage, I would like to see a typical Dutch/Flemish bar, different from the excellent Grand Dutch Café,  specializing in the wonderful Dutch and Flemish Gins ( Jenever) in all their flavours,( we have hundreds)  and Benelux beers. (for the Dutchies: type bruine kroeg met misschien “de Jordaan” als naam...) no food, that is for the Grand Dutch café.

The Galery bar/Northern Lights area would be perfect for it.

Agree ! Except for the name Jordaan , that’s in amsterdam .... How about De Feijenoorder ?

That’s the area of Rotterdam where the HAL was founded and the old Head Office is still standing ?

23 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

Agree ! Except for the name Jordaan , that’s in amsterdam .... How about De Feijenoorder ?

That’s the area of Rotterdam where the HAL was founded and the old Head Office is still standing ?

I thought that was called Katendrecht..

4 hours ago, Himself said:

That is an interesting piece of History.  I once sailed on the Westerdam II that had been the Homeric.  

Here she is on November 12, 1988 after dry-dock and post acquisition by HAL (and prior to HAL's acquisition by Carnival Corp) with her inaugural crew at berth 22 in Port Everglades, FL, Father. She was registered in, and flew the national colors of, the Bahamas then. In front, Hotel Manager Dirk Zeller, HAL Chairman and CEO Nico van der Vorm, Captain Paul Kievit, President A. Kirk Lanterman and Chief Officer Cees Deelstra

HAL WEDM II inaugural crew in FL Nov 1988 Capt. Paul Kievit, HD Dirk Zeller, SC Cees Deesltra.jpg

HAL WEDM II.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, doone said:

AAAhhhh Home Lines, great line, took my second cruise with this line, then onto Holland America once Home Lines were acquired by Holland America..........Been with HAL ever since!!

Home Lines' Homeric, before she became Westerdam, Costa Europa, Thomson Dream and, currently, Marella Dream

Home Lines (Italy - Defunct) - Homeric (now Marella Dream).jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

I like Ajax or "De Ajaxied" better.....................😉

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Here she is on November 12, 1988 after dry-dock and post acquisition by HAL (and prior to HAL's acquisition by Carnival Corp) with her inaugural crew at berth 22 in Port Everglades, FL, Father. She was registered in, and flew the national colors of, the Bahamas then. In front, Hotel Manager Dirk Zeller, HAL Chairman and CEO Nico van der Vorm, Captain Paul Kievit, President A. Kirk Lanterman and Chief Officer Cees Deelstra

HAL WEDM II inaugural crew in FL Nov 1988 Capt. Paul Kievit, HD Dirk Zeller, SC Cees Deesltra.jpg

HAL WEDM II.jpg

Our first HAL cruise was on this ship. She was a nice ride. We had a great time and HAL became our
"go to" cruise line from then on.....with only a few exceptions.

57 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

Or Baantjer, for the best Dutch crime series ever...

43 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

I thought that was called Katendrecht..

Katendrecht or de Kaap is a separate area. Close to Feijenoord and since the new bridge , de hoerenloper , connected to the pier where the HAL is.  

30 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I like Ajax or "De Ajaxied" better.....................😉

Not on ships registered in Rotterdam !!!

Btw , on our last cruise on the Rotterdam, we departed from amsterdam ( was originally the Prinsendam’s itinerary) . Our captain apologized, he said the Rotterdam really shouldn’t be in amsterdam ! So no way a bar is going to be called ajax .... hahaha.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Home Lines' Homeric,

Never sailed on Homeric (and she was not the first such ship of Home Lines to bear that name; think she was Homeric II), but my 3rd cruise was on Oceanic.  The cruise product was different from my first 2 HAL cruises.  But, it was excellent!  Dinner had so many courses, including a pasta course, that I left the dining room absolutely full!  (How did I manage to consume so much food then?  Couldn't do so now!)

11 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

The real reason for selling to Carnival was that the major shareholder and CEO, van der Vorm, had no luck in finding an adequate successor. 
He sold the company and started an investment fund which his sons took over and is one of the most successful funds in the Netherlands, HAL investments . They use the old NASM flag as their logo ...

I appreciate learning this.  It's HAL history of which I was not aware.  Was Mr. van der Vorm's sons not interested in succeeding their Father as the CEO of HAL?  Or, perhaps, they were too young to do so?

11 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Hope it turns out negative for you . As strange as that may sound. Voorlopig geen frites dus 😉

I did have a chuckle about the "unpleasant" nature of the test.  I think the only ones who don't mind are those of us who have had at least one nasolaryngoscopy done 😉   The only thing that happened when I had my COVID test was that it made me sneeze!!!  

I think the old folks who complained about the Crows Nest were complaining quite a bit about the uncomfortable chairs put in place of the old ones.  Maybe they can't fall asleep in them like before 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Katendrecht or de Kaap is a separate area. Close to Feijenoord and since the new bridge , de hoerenloper , connected to the pier where the HAL is.  

What a name for a bridge...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Never sailed on Homeric (and she was not the first such ship of Home Lines to bear that name; think she was Homeric II), but my 3rd cruise was on Oceanic.  The cruise product was different from my first 2 HAL cruises.  But, it was excellent!  Dinner had so many courses, including a pasta course, that I left the dining room absolutely full!  (How did I manage to consume so much food then?  Couldn't do so now!)

Homeric I (1931), the former Mariposa (butterfly) of Matson Lines. Home Lines operated her from 1955 until she was scrapped at Kaohsiung, Taiwan in 1974

Oceanic (1965) Home Lines had her until 1985. Afterwards, she became Starship Oceanic, then Big Red Boat I, both for Premier Lines, and then once again Oceanic for Pullmantur Cruises. She finished her career as Oceanic with the Japanese Peace Boat organization until scrapped at Zhoushan, PRC in 2012 

Home Lines (Italy - Defunct) - Homeric (scrapped Kaohsiung, Taiwan 1974) #2.jpg

Home Lines (Italy - Defunct) - Oceanic.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Homeric I (1931), the former Mariposa (butterfly) of Matson Lines. Home Lines operated her from 1955 until she was scrapped at Kaohsiung, Taiwan in 1974

Believe it or not, I was a visitor aboard her on her last cruise for Home Lines.  That was the cruise that ended when a galley fire cut that cruise short and led to the decision that her years of service were over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

"Hoerenloper, eh?" 'Walletjes" sounds just a tad bit better! 😉

• Haha 1

We  had a verandah on Statendam  in her Inaugural year..  You'd have to go back many years for a HaL ship with no verandahs.  Statendam    was the first of the "S"  class ships and forerunner to "R" class.

9 hours ago, whogo said:

But while we are dreaming, we should go farther back to a time with only two dinner seatings, assigned tables, no lido buffet, no balcony cabins, no television, no internet, with jacket and tie required except on formal nights when jacket and tie would not suffice.

What a great way to ruin cruising.

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I think the old folks who complained about the Crows Nest were complaining quite a bit about the uncomfortable chairs put in place of the old ones.  Maybe they can't fall asleep in them like before 😉 

Replacing the old chairs was a real improvement.  Now, with fewer nappers, one can find a place to sit.