Royal Caribbean World Cruise?

I seem to remember that Royal had a World Cruise some time in the past.  Am I imagining this?  Any scuttlebutt on another one appearing on the schedule?  

Hubby and I were contemplating a trip of this size but the only one that would fit our budget was Princess.  Now that we are Diamond on Royal, DH wants the points and not on another cruise line!  

The 45 days from Europe to Shanghai on the Spectrum was the longest I know of

There was talk that the Wonder was going to do the same trip, but who knows if it will, or when it might happen

2 minutes ago, compman9 said:

The 45 days from Europe to Shanghai on the Spectrum was the longest I know of

There was talk that the Wonder was going to do the same trip, but who knows if it will, or when it might happen

Was that one cruise, or a series of cruises that together made 45 days?

The Mariner went from Cape Canaveral to Los Angeles in 2009 in 46 days, which was a 15 + 15 + 16.

Mariner had also been scheduled to do Singapore to Miami by way of Dubai and Barcelona, but the last leg, Barcelona to Miami, was cancelled.  Thinking it was 41 days in total, 3 separate cruises.

Other cruise lines do World Cruises as you say - probably one of the best being the Cunard 'Queens' which do World Cruises from time to time ... I'd personally work on the basis of places to visit around the world/memories of a once in a lifetime experience (my parents have done one) as opposed to chasing a status that's worth very little and for that matter thinks even less of you!

It may sound a little negative, but why waste a chance like that over a free drink or a cheaper balcony? 

You'll soon see (if you haven't already) the absolute carnage that they call Diamond Lounges - and in my experience, the quieter ones are more the minority nowadays than the majority - IF they did a world cruise, then it would also be heavily subscribed like the Transatlantic crossings are ... 

Way back in the late 1990's or early 2000's they had "Royal Journeys", which were segments that could be combined for a World Tour.  It was a marketing bust.  I might still have the brochure...............................

RCI demographic is not that of world cruising.  They target the young family millennial demographic these days.  Much higher chance that at some point X may venture into the market that HAL and PCL seem to primarily dominate of the retired with all the time in the world crowd.  Not the young professional/family/millennial generation with limited PTO.

44 minutes ago, rimmit said:

RCI demographic is not that of world cruising.  They target the young family millennial demographic these days.  Much higher chance that at some point X may venture into the market that HAL and PCL seem to primarily dominate of the retired with all the time in the world crowd.  Not the young professional/family/millennial generation with limited PTO.

While the OLD Celebrity may have done that the NEW Celebrity would do nothing of the sort.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

While the OLD Celebrity may have done that the NEW Celebrity would do nothing of the sort.

I agree.  Marketing for X is now geared toward the mid age professional with kids about 10-18 or even the young professional without kids.   Not the 60+ crowd anymore.    The EDGE is clearly not aimed at the 60+ demographic.

Simply stating X will do it well before RCI ever does something on that level.

8 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Other cruise lines do World Cruises as you say - probably one of the best being the Cunard 'Queens' which do World Cruises from time to time ... I'd personally work on the basis of places to visit around the world/memories of a once in a lifetime experience (my parents have done one) as opposed to chasing a status that's worth very little and for that matter thinks even less of you!

It may sound a little negative, but why waste a chance like that over a free drink or a cheaper balcony? 

You'll soon see (if you haven't already) the absolute carnage that they call Diamond Lounges - and in my experience, the quieter ones are more the minority nowadays than the majority - IF they did a world cruise, then it would also be heavily subscribed like the Transatlantic crossings are ... 

We actually wanted to visit the destinations.  The Princess World cruise offered several stops which intrigued us.  The points gained would have been incidental.  Just looking at our options.

• Like 1