The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Dubrovnik four year years ago. First visit was in 2005 on-board Serenity when we sailed her for the first time on two back-back-to-back cruises totaling 24 days.  Up to that point the longest cruise we had taken.

IMG_5717.thumb.jpeg.817704023d8adb36a0e1d42c0325afb8.jpeg

Back in 2005 not many ships there and we were the only one in port.  That all has changed.

Keith

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Dubrovnik four year years ago. First visit was in 2005 on-board Serenity when we sailed her for the first time on two back-back-to-back cruises totaling 24 days.  Up to that point the longest cruise we had taken.

IMG_5717.thumb.jpeg.817704023d8adb36a0e1d42c0325afb8.jpeg

Back in 2005 not many ships there and we were the only one in port.  That all has changed.

Keith

I love Dubrovnik as was sad to see the missiles pounding the walls when Yugoslavia was war torn.

I was first there in 1974 and then again staying most years in the 70s.

Jadrolinija was the cruise line that I first sailed on before Cunard and my favourite QE11 

• Like 1

Four years ago today we were in Venice on-board Serenity.

IMG_5761.thumb.jpeg.fbbcf1adc854dfacd9615a2de151cdcf.jpeg

Our first time on Serenity in 2005 one of the reasons we booked the back to back itinerary was three nights in Venice between both cruises.

How times changed.First time we were there was in 1997 on-board Grand Princess at the time the largest passenger ship and we docked downtown.

Keith

• Like 2

The Chez, dinner report for Saturday 4/15:

Well, it was a quiet night, but our most important regular came in.   Good thing too, as we were able to delight her with an appetizer of the first shad roe of the season(and probably the last as it's a short season.)  Ordered her usual steak(strip this night) and a loaded baked.  Satisfaction was proclaimed, so the kitchen was tranquil.   Per the usual, no dessert and she left her typically generous tip.

On a related note:  if anyone runs into that guy named for an airport, tell him we're keeping his regular table open.  But time marches on, and we had to turn Ralph Fiennes away from it the other night. Sheesh, the guy plays a cook one time and he thinks he owns the joint.  Maybe I should have been a stockbroker...

PS: apologies to the various managers of Keith McNally's restaurants, whose report format I am copying.  Steal from the pros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I couldn't find a photo from today that I thought would make for a good post so I thought I would share something for all you wine lovers.  Just saying.

Keith

336766936_262209632827627_8260791419881146365_n.thumb.jpg.58fb2f7919ea5c5bd397e07b39a75c7e.jpg

This may be an historic day.  It's rare for me to have an anniversary photo while Keith does not.  This is 5 years ago today as Crystal Symphony exited the Panama Canal with the unfinished Atlantic Bridge in her wake.  BTW, I would say that the empty bottle is better than a half full one while a full one still has promise:

atlantic.jpg

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are some very special places around the world where we have enjoyed amazing sail-ins  and sail-aways. Some that come to mind are Venice, Sydney, New York City, San Francisco, Rio and the list goes on.

Today's photo is from one of many times we visited Rio.

Keith

DSC_3240.thumb.jpeg.51a17b42adf7fb7cc01c125acea5cde5.jpeg

• Like 3

Thirteen years ago we were in Barcelona, Spain as part of World Cruise 2010. We have visited this beautiful city many times over the years and taken many tours and also walked it extensively.  It is also a great place to pick up a Paddle Tennis Racquet which I have done a few times.

First time we visited this city was pre-cruise on a Mediterranean cruise on board the Grand Princess in 1997.  Back then we ate later but the challenge is late for Americans does not compare to when dinner is served in many of the local restaurants.

Keith

P1040466.thumb.jpg.03b24fa25c360ed26dffd870f68a0d1b.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 1:35 AM, Keith1010 said:

There are some very special places around the world where we have enjoyed amazing sail-ins  and sail-aways. Some that come to mind are Venice, Sydney, New York City, San Francisco, Rio and the list goes on.

Today's photo is from one of many times we visited Rio.

Keith

DSC_3240.thumb.jpeg.51a17b42adf7fb7cc01c125acea5cde5.jpeg

Oh man. This photo makes me think of Crystal Cruises! My last Crystal cruise was Rio to Buenos Aires in 2019. I'll never forget this sight.

Thanks for the memory, Keith!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

It's Roy

I believe the photo of Rio was posted by Keith, not Roy. In fact yes, I just went back to check the post, and indeed it was Keith who posted that photo.

Roy does post a lot of wonderful photos too! 😁 But the one I was commenting showing Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro looks to have been posted by Keith.

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

I believe the photo of Rio was posted by Keith, not Roy. In fact yes, I just went back to check the post, and indeed it was Keith who posted that photo.

Roy does post a lot of wonderful photos too! 😁 But the one I was commenting showing Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro looks to have been posted by Keith.

Yes post 3673.

I don't go back every day to look at old stuff 😀

• Haha 1