The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

From eight years ago today.  

Whenever you think you are having a tough day, just be happy you are not alone walking in the forest when you are greeted by this happy fella.

It could be your last meal but keep in mind you would be the one on the menu.  

Keith

KeithsKats-8of25.thumb.jpeg.f8b434cd525e2f5944f03c159f138d52.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 stay in Cape Town when I spent a few days between the Crystal Serenity and MS Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale.  On March 29 I walked to the end of the jetty for the sunrise..

dawn0329.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Hello @rafinmd.  I'm very happy to see you posting regularly again!  Next step will be a cruise blog from you.  Any plans to sail soon?

Take care,

~Nancy

Sadly, no.  In fact you just reminded me to update my signature,  I had cruises booked for late April and mid summer but have cancelled both.  I still don't feel like I have the strength for cruising, and the sudden onset of the latest problem reminded me that It may not be a good idea to be overseas when things happen.  I still maintain hopes for an early October New England/Canada on QM2 (and hate to give it up because it would be my first Grills experience and was booked with credit from the cancelled 2020 World Cruise so I probably get nothing back if I cancel.  I'm also booked on a November Panama Canal voyage through the new locks although my cruising days may now be great memories.

Roy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Sadly, no.  In fact you just reminded me to update my signature,  I had cruises booked for late April and mid summer but have cancelled both.  I still don't feel like I have the strength for cruising, and the sudden onset of the latest problem reminded me that It may not be a good idea to be overseas when things happen.  I still maintain hopes for an early October New England/Canada on QM2 (and hate to give it up because it would be my first Grills experience and was booked with credit from the cancelled 2020 World Cruise so I probably get nothing back if I cancel.  I'm also booked on a November Panama Canal voyage through the new locks although my cruising days may now be great memories.

Roy

Take care of yourself and look forward to seeing your health improve,.... and  take  more cruises! 

Edited by wearesiamese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I have faith in you Phileas.  May Neptune smile upon you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK something about musicians and Crystal.

Our first Crystal Cruise was in July, 2002 on Harmony sailing Alaska R/T San Francisco.

Pre-cruise at the Ritz Carlton.  

One morning we are in the Club Room and at the San Francisco property there is a stair case from the Club Room to the largest suite.

Anyway, while in the room, my DW taps me on the shoulder to look up which I do and I am thinking how did they let this bum into the Club Lounge.  Face looks very worn and he looks disheveled.  Then the light-bulb goes off and I realize it was Mick Jagger.

Later that day read he was in San Francisco for a daughter's wedding.

Mind you I was not a fan of the Rolling Stones. Often you either were a fan of the Stones or a fan of The Beatles.  Similarly growing up you either loved the Yankees or the Mets but rarely both.  

So while I have never seen a Rolling Stones Concert in-person I can say I was a few feet from the Mick.

Keith

• Like 3

Today's sunrise is from a land day at a layover in my 2014 World Cruise combination.  I had 3 days between disembarking Crystal Serenity in Cape Town and boarding MS Amsterdam ending in Fort Lauderdale.  The last of my land nights I spend at Aquila Game Reserve before boarding Amsterdam on April 1  The sunrise is from our morning game drive at Aquila:

dawn0401.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

Not all mornings are created equal.  Today's "sunrise" is from my first voyage on Queen Elizabeth 10 years ago today, a transatlantic from New York to Southhampton.  There's only a trace of color on a nasty North Atlantic Morning where the photo was taken from the Commodore Club (Crystal think Palm Court or HAL think Crow's Nest),

dawn0402.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

On 4/1/2023 at 3:22 AM, Keith1010 said:

Anyway, while in the room, my DW taps me on the shoulder to look up which I do and I am thinking how did they let this bum into the Club Lounge.  Face looks very worn and he looks disheveled.  Then the light-bulb goes off and I realize it was Mick Jagger.

So you came face to face with a real rock and roller, as opposed to a member of a very successful pop band.

Exhibit A: 

Anyway(tm), I was always a fan of The Who.

Bonus feature:  this is well worth your time:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

This time of year brings out beautiful wild flowers where we live.  On land that butt up to our community is an area where various tractors have been retired or as some might say a tractor cemetery.

IMG_1731.thumb.jpeg.01fa0496a67ef42232aef4973e19d00c.jpeg

IMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.dd932d654f38c4105232fa811858b545.jpeg

IMG_1738.thumb.jpeg.71c47cb565f9e5f984d6c67e365fc10c.jpeg

IMG_1728.thumb.jpeg.9daffd74603bb6adca4c074e03dc184d.jpeg

Keith

Thank you,Keith.I so miss those!🙂

Edited by wearesiamese
Delete something
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

This time of year brings out beautiful wild flowers where we live.  On land that butt up to our community is an area where various tractors have been retired or as some might say a tractor cemetery.

IMG_1731.thumb.jpeg.01fa0496a67ef42232aef4973e19d00c.jpeg

IMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.dd932d654f38c4105232fa811858b545.jpeg

IMG_1738.thumb.jpeg.71c47cb565f9e5f984d6c67e365fc10c.jpeg

IMG_1728.thumb.jpeg.9daffd74603bb6adca4c074e03dc184d.jpeg

Keith

Beautiful landscape and "sculpture" park. Are those flowers the bluebonnets loved by Lady  Bird Johnson?

• Like 1