The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

On 2/25/2023 at 4:24 AM, Keith1010 said:

Today would have been the 80th Birthday of George Harrison the youngest member of The Beatles . He was just shy of 21 years young when The Beatles made their debut on Ed Sullivan Shy is an appropriate word as often he was considered the quiet Beatle.  

Unknown.jpeg.a2ff7fd5b98cb5cc5d0307ded9d852b8.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg.a5f81c1e46585febe431328698c25ea1.jpeg

I remember their performances on Ed Sullivan as if it was "Yesterday".

Thanks for sharing these memories. I was too young for them in those days (became a teen after their breakup) so it is great to Get Back and get to know them as appealing hip youngsters. Oh and not to mention Geniuses**4 (that is for the coding and math geeks here).

• Like 1

Roy, I am just getting caught up on CC.  I'm sorry to hear that you have been ill, and hope that you are gaining strength every day.  I've always loved viewing your sunrise and the occasional sunset photos, and following your travels.

Wishing you all the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 4:09 PM, mariners said:

Roy, I am just getting caught up on CC.  I'm sorry to hear that you have been ill, and hope that you are gaining strength every day.  I've always loved viewing your sunrise and the occasional sunset photos, and following your travels.

Wishing you all the best.

Thank you.  It sounds like recovery from pneumonia is a very slow process, at least several months and I am still moving at glacial speed and probably adapting more than improvement.  I've also had an issue with an infected and swollen foot, but saw the podiatrist yesterday and that seems to be within control.

I've cancelled cruises through the summer but have a couple still booked for the last quarter.

Roy

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you.  It sounds like recovery from pneumonia is a very slow process, at least several months and I am still moving at glacial speed and probably adapting more than improvement.  I've also had an issue with an infected and swollen foot, but saw the podiatrist yesterday and that seems to be within control.

I've cancelled cruises through the summer but have a couple still booked for the last quarter.

Roy

Roy,

As you are well aware pneumonia is nothing to trifle with.  Get your rest(although I don't think it's giving you much of a choice.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today was a bit of a special flashback for me.  In 2018 I sailed Crystal's 2-ship world cruise and one of the highlights was Symphony's visit to Easter Island.  The shoreside event was a visit to a music school set up by concert pianist Mahani Teave Williams.  It was built as a sustainable facility enriching the lives of local children and showing the way to preserving the island.

This week Good Morning America had a series on Easter Island and the final segment was a visit to the school.  It was lovely to see the school still going strong and a great flashback to a wonderful experience.

orchestra.jpg

recital.jpg

Roy

• Like 11

always thought about the irony of this as a birthday breakfast.  If one would eat this everyday of the year I would think how many more birthday's would you be celebrating.  

Then I realized, this is why it's only offered on the ship on your birthday.

The best thing is to add some champagne because it will counteract the extra calories from what you eat.  

Keith

IMG_3053.jpeg.3f4204fdf665029609aa6f7a3bed906a.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg.b662772d63e56ee839597df4819e9db8.jpeg

IMG_3055.jpeg.8029d9b9da30edf5ebf1b42a37a0d31c.jpeg

I

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

always thought about the irony of this as a birthday breakfast.  If one would eat this everyday of the year I would think how many more birthday's would you be celebrating.  

Then I realized, this is why it's only offered on the ship on your birthday.

The best thing is to add some champagne because it will counteract the extra calories from what you eat.  

Keith

IMG_3053.jpeg.3f4204fdf665029609aa6f7a3bed906a.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg.b662772d63e56ee839597df4819e9db8.jpeg

IMG_3055.jpeg.8029d9b9da30edf5ebf1b42a37a0d31c.jpeg

I

Although it looks good, I would never manage to eat that much on my birthday on land or on a ship. Just give me the caviar with some blinis and the champagne (Veuve Clicquot rose if possible) and I will be happy 😀 

Ivi

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 6:01 PM, travelberlin said:

Now that we are talking about drinking I have a question. I have a cruise ending in Miami at the start of the Spring break. I like Miami very much and I was considering to stay about 3 nights after my cruise in the South Beach area. Now, I am not familiar with Spring Break but when I see that on movies I am not sure if I should stay at all in Miami or in the South Beach area at that time. What do you think? Any advice?

Ivi

From the Miami Herald this morning under the headline:  Spring Break is coming to South Beach

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

From the Miami Herald this morning under the headline:  Spring Break is coming to South Beach

I plan on staying here on the left coast for the entirety of Spring Break Season in South Florida!!  About 9 friends and I drove from Kent State in Ohio down to Ft. Lauderdale for spring break in about 1973 and even as a member of that demographic I did not like it at all!!!

😱

~Nancy

• Like 2

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

I plan on staying here on the left coast for the entirety of Spring Break Season in South Florida!!  About 9 friends and I drove from Kent State in Ohio down to Ft. Lauderdale for spring break in about 1973 and even as a member of that demographic I did not like it at all!!!

😱

~Nancy

Speaking of “left coast”, we have to enjoy these rare “in-between-storms” days this winter here in Northern California.

Photo taken 10 minutes ago! 

F2FC0659-46E4-4956-A149-64151E80ABCE.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On this day nine years ago, we were In Singapore on-board Crystal Serenity during World Cruise 2014.  We were on the deck to watch the arrival of Crystal Symphony.  Later in the day we were able to visit Symphony. It did feel like the movie Groundhog Day as we had to go through passport control and port security twice before we could board Symphony and twice before we could return to Serenity.  Despite this, we were thrilled to visit Symphony.  At that point our last Symphony cruise was 2011 with a visit to Alaska.   We visited with both Captains who were together, Food & Beverage Manager Norbert who assisted on Serenity a few weeks earlier until a new F&B came on-board, and I remember visited with Micah who was Concierge at the time and several Lido Deck stewards.

Back on Serenity we saw some members of Symphony on board such as Paolo, Scott Peterson, Mario who back then was Maitre d’ swinging between the two ships.

It was our first time with both ships in port at the same time. Another time we were on Serenity sailing Miami to Los Angeles while Symphony was sailing Los Angeles to Miami and both ships anchored for a little while which was very special as well.  And in 2008 we were sailing Milford Sound on one of those unique sunny days when we rendezvoused with Asuka II, former Crystal Harmony which we sailed on our first Crystal cruise and years later while in port in Auckland, Asuka II was there as well and the last time we saw her we were in Sydney in 2019.

There is something very special seeing the three ships which comprised original Crystal Cruises and the good news is we can still sail two of the three on-board the new Crystal.

Bags packed………Ready to go………..Can’t wait…………….

Cheers

DSC_0536.jpeg.cd9d4de2d1731d02a4531b332c0b146e.jpeg

DSC_0522.jpeg.d9da0d044cea10271396447bc2409c4e.jpeg

IMG_2564.thumb.jpg.d5ce83bb4e687e7f1946a6af628ee6d0.jpg

DSC_0513.jpeg

• Like 1

Just noticed on my Facebook page that today is Judith Morrison's birthday. There has been discussion about those with 100+ cruises on Crystal and how many of those are no longer with us. Remembering all who have gone on to the permanent world cruise.💖💖💖

Patty

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 3:08 AM, Keith1010 said:

On this day nine years ago, we were In Singapore on-board Crystal Serenity during World Cruise 2014.  We were on the deck to watch the arrival of Crystal Symphony.  Later in the day we were able to visit Symphony. It did feel like the movie Groundhog Day as we had to go through passport control and port security twice before we could board Symphony and twice before we could return to Serenity.  Despite this, we were thrilled to visit Symphony.  At that point our last Symphony cruise was 2011 with a visit to Alaska.   We visited with both Captains who were together, Food & Beverage Manager Norbert who assisted on Serenity a few weeks earlier until a new F&B came on-board, and I remember visited with Micah who was Concierge at the time and several Lido Deck stewards.

Back on Serenity we saw some members of Symphony on board such as Paolo, Scott Peterson, Mario who back then was Maitre d’ swinging between the two ships.

It was our first time with both ships in port at the same time. Another time we were on Serenity sailing Miami to Los Angeles while Symphony was sailing Los Angeles to Miami and both ships anchored for a little while which was very special as well.  And in 2008 we were sailing Milford Sound on one of those unique sunny days when we rendezvoused with Asuka II, former Crystal Harmony which we sailed on our first Crystal cruise and years later while in port in Auckland, Asuka II was there as well and the last time we saw her we were in Sydney in 2019.

There is something very special seeing the three ships which comprised original Crystal Cruises and the good news is we can still sail two of the three on-board the new Crystal.

Bags packed………Ready to go………..Can’t wait…………….

Cheers

DSC_0536.jpeg.cd9d4de2d1731d02a4531b332c0b146e.jpeg

DSC_0522.jpeg.d9da0d044cea10271396447bc2409c4e.jpeg

IMG_2564.thumb.jpg.d5ce83bb4e687e7f1946a6af628ee6d0.jpg

DSC_0513.jpeg

How well I remember that day as I arrived on Symphony and walked across the pier to embark Crystal Serenity to Cape Town.  There were a couple of lost days for me as Serenity arrived a day earlier and Symphony stayed that night.  I think I left Symphony mid morning and still did not have a room assigned (directed to the front desk where my guarantee was allocated) and by the time I got to the room my bag was already there.  I think we were told we should get lunch at the ship was were booked on, but since I had paid for the full day I walked over to Symphony for one final lunch.  Of course that meant passport control and security a total of 6 times.  Just glad they didn't need to stamp the passport 6 times.

Here's the approach from Symphony's point of view:

arrival0.jpg

arrival1.jpg

arrival2.jpg

On an unrelated note, not really sure right now what's happening to the ships but I've noticed Symphony has reversed position a couple of times recently in the dock (bow in vs bow out).

Roy

• Like 7