The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

58 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Phew! I Find the thought even more unsettling than those people that walk constantly around the deck in circles whilst you're trying to enjoy a nice quiet cocktail or 2 on a lounger.

I know they make you dizzy don't they 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Phew! I Find the thought even more unsettling than those people that walk constantly around the deck in circles whilst you're trying to enjoy a nice quiet cocktail or 2 on a lounger.

What lounger?  Other lines yes but I don't remember ever seeing one on a Crystal Promenade Deck.

Roy

• Haha 2

A personal plea:

Could we go back to keeping this thread off-topic and away from Crystal cruising?  (Roy's sunrise/sunset series exempted.  That's really about nature, not cruising.)

The same old squabbles that seem to currently infect every other thread are starting to migrate here.  Let's not encourage that development.

Please and thank you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

A personal plea:

Could we go back to keeping this thread off-topic and away from Crystal cruising?  (Roy's sunrise/sunset series exempted.  That's really about nature, not cruising.)

I think it’s a great place for one’s photo collections of Old Crystal to be posted - better than starting many repetitive threads that are posted on the New Crystal forum 

If one persons memories are to be posted in this thread then why on earth would they not allow others to do so?

The CC rules apply here - so if you see something that breaks a rule then use the Report function to alert the Hosts to it - I believe many do so

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think it’s a great place for one’s photo collections of Old Crystal to be posted - better than starting many repetitive threads that are posted on the New Crystal forum 

If one persons memories are to be posted in this thread then why on earth would they not allow others to do so?

The CC rules apply here - so if you see something that breaks a rule then use the Report function to alert the Hosts to it - I believe many do so

Oh go on,I like the history channel.

• Haha 1

10 days ago it was feeling and looking like Spring around here even though the official date for us is March 20.  Just a couple of days ago our high was in the 80's (F).  Lawns are getting green as they are showing growth and some trees are blooming.  

IMG_1667.jpeg.303a1d141a98285f7c4a209ac59c8a9e.jpeg

Well Mother Nature said, Winter is not over until I am telling you it's over so I hope this is one final reminder and we can just get over this.  Thankfully, we are not having the cold and wintry weather that some of you are having but we might get one more freeze.  This will confuse the landscape and even some of our other outdoor friends.

IMG_1653.jpeg.dbccacf5f554bb6dcec79fcc6c3d1f25.jpeg

The good news is by this Wednesday highs are supposed to be low 80's (F) and maybe, just maybe, we will turn the corner on cold weather, at least where I live.

Keith

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

A personal plea:

The same old squabbles that seem to currently infect every other thread are starting to migrate here.  Let's not encourage that development.

Please and thank you.

Yes, please keep out the squabbles (or report them) but it looks like Old Crystal is now off topic so this may be the only place for it.

Roy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Yes, please keep out the squabbles (or report them) but it looks like Old Crystal is now off topic so this may be the only place for it.

Roy

Well, I admit my sense of "off" in off topic is, like me, a little more off than most.  But I don't think it would be unreasonable to start a Crystal Reminiscences thread.  I fact, I think that would be a fun place to post pix and memories of great cruises, Vince's incredible archival protos, renderings, etc.

Thinking about it, there should be a thread devoted to Crystal memorialization.  This is actually too important a topic to just be parked in a chit-chat thread.

JMO. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, I admit my sense of "off" in off topic is, like me, a little more off than most.  But I don't think it would be unreasonable to start a Crystal Reminiscences thread.  I fact, I think that would be a fun place to post pix and memories of great cruises, Vince's incredible archival protos, renderings, etc.

Thinking about it, there should be a thread devoted to Crystal memorialization.  This is actually too important a topic to just be parked in a chit-chat thread.

JMO. 

Be careful for what you are asking. Not all reminiscences from the original Crystal are positive. And then some will start again getting tired about being remembered that part of history.

I guess we just have to accept that posters can post in this “off topic” thread what they wish as long as it does not contradict CC rules. Not every one has the same interest or taste on what they consider fun. For some it could be sunsets, for others,  posts about food, for others, landscapes, etc. All have the same right to post in this thread.

Ivi

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Be careful for what you are asking. Not all reminiscences from the original Crystal are positive. And then some will start again getting tired about being remembered that part of history.

I guess we just have to accept that posters can post in this “off topic” thread what they wish as long as it does not contradict CC rules. Not every one has the same interest or taste on what they consider fun. For some it could be sunsets, for others,  posts about food, for others, landscapes, etc. All have the same right to post in this thread.

Ivi

We'll be having a Titanic thread if we're not careful. 

• Haha 2

My recovery is exceedingly slow but I hope I am at least a little stronger and able to resume sunrises most days.  Today's is from 2014 where on March 20 Crystal Serenity docked in Mauritius.

dawn0320.jpg

Roy

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My recovery is exceedingly slow but I hope I am at least a little stronger and able to resume sunrises most days.  Today's is from 2014 where on March 20 Crystal Serenity docked in Mauritius.

dawn0320.jpg

Roy

Take care Roy!Hope to see you cruising again later in 2023!

• Thanks 1

Random observations:

The calendar tells us it is spring in the northern hemisphere.  My sinuses agree.

In good news, the cherry blossoms survived our recent mini cold snap.  Come to DC, spend some money.  Less expensive than a trip to Japan, and we also have plenty of places that will over charge you for sushi. (There is an excellent one in the newly rebranded Intercontinental Hotel on Pennsylvania Ave.)

OLoPP made her glorious stuffed shells for dinner.  Apparently I have been good recently.

Oh yeah, it's big fat asparagus season.  Beav,  please personally thank the underpaid harvesters in that wonderful land of bounty that is inland central California. Here in MD, the Shad Roe has yet to appear.  If that doesn't happen soon, OLoPP just might lose her final "P."

Going to have to roll the grill out of the barn soon(OK, it's the garage. This isn't Green Acres.)  I wonder if Keith has plugged the Traeger in yet.

Vince has apparently been buried by work for some time now.  Really would like his perspective on the retirement announcement of Frank Del Rio.  IIRC, he's had some pithy remarks about FDR.

Roy, good to hear from you.  Be well. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Oh yeah, it's big fat asparagus season.  Beav,  please personally thank the underpaid harvesters in that wonderful land of bounty that is inland central California. 

As far as I know, the annual Stockton Asparagus Festival is still on. That is, if California doesn’t first float away from all the rain (that’s one way to non-politically secede! 🤔). 

The dairy farmers are nervous, however. And nervous farmers make for nervous cows. 

https://www.khq.com/news/massive-flooding-in-california-impacts-agriculture-dairy-farmers/video_e6884518-c72c-11ed-9faa-8b8a5a14f93b.html

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/local-news/tulare-dairy-farmers-share-concerns-on-tule-river-flooding/amp/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Going to have to roll the grill out of the barn soon(OK, it's the garage. This isn't Green Acres.)  I wonder if Keith has plugged the Traeger in yet.

Oh yes.  I've been using it throughout the winter months at least twice a week and often three times a week.  I might have skipped one week when we had the ice storm but other than that I haven't closed down.  

Keith

• Like 1