I booked a SS expedition cruise to Galapagos. What could a TA give me that I won't already get?

clo

(I've never figured out how to search here so please excuse if this is redundant.)

I booked a SS expedition cruise on the Origin to Galapagos late next year. With it being AI and $1k OBC I can't figure out what more a TA could give me. I even asked what I could use the $1k for and the SS rep said that there are some really high end alcohols that you pay extra for. We would have no need for the hair or spa services. This ship doesn't have any kind of shop. We get two nights hotel pre and a day room post and shuttle to and from. I've already established a great rapport with the SS rep and he really wants me to reach out for anything and I will. I have travel background from several lifetimes ago and don't mind speaking up. If there's any reason to transfer the booking, I certainly can. Would really appreciate any advice. TIA.

PS: I found this deal through a regular email I get from a gigantic company and that gives us $250 each change in fare and a deposit of $1k for both of us.

12 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, and it's only a seven day cruise and the shore excursions are included.

YES, excellent question as to how you can spend that $1000 OBC on such a cruise where the excursions and most all of the extra are already included.  What's the point/value for that working in this unique location.  

We were booked and paid up in early March for a late January 2021 Galapagos Island cruise on this shiny new ship.  BUT, we scrubbed and fortunately got ALL of our big chunk of cash back.  We did not want to take any risks with that much money not knowing when and how sailing would resume before the cruise line's cash would run out. Lots of good and interesting questions being raised now without certain, needed answers.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

Not cash, mine sends a check a couple of weeks before the cruise (after they have received their commission).  Some TAs send it after the cruise.

I didn't mean "cash" literally 🙂 Thanks.

I used to work through TAs to get a discount on the fare (part of the TA's commission).  But both of my recent TAs dropped the ball on important matters, and I now deal directly with an SS rep.  

I appreciate that the rep has contact with various parts of the SS enterprise and can advocate forcefully for me on this or that matter.  Moreover, s/he has realtime access to the SS inventory and can tell me what suites are available for desired cruises.  S/he has also been very helpful in calculating and securing refunds for me on forthcoming cruises I cancelled.  When my SS rep was on vacation, another rep gladly gave me the same fine service.  

I will stay with my rep, regardless of the fact that I might save a few dollars by booking with a TA.  I am told that some SS reps may even be able to share part of their commissions as an OBC.

25 minutes ago, Observer said:

I used to work through TAs to get a discount on the fare (part of the TA's commission).  But both of my recent TAs dropped the ball on important matters, and I now deal directly with an SS rep.  

I appreciate that the rep has contact with various parts of the SS enterprise and can advocate forcefully for me on this or that matter.  Moreover, s/he has realtime access to the SS inventory and can tell me what suites are available for desired cruises.  S/he has also been very helpful in calculating and securing refunds for me on forthcoming cruises I cancelled.  When my SS rep was on vacation, another rep gladly gave me the same fine service.  

I will stay with my rep, regardless of the fact that I might save a few dollars by booking with a TA.  I am told that some SS reps may even be able to share part of their commissions as an OBC.

I appreciate this. I know I can't say the mega-TA-ish name that we all get emails from (not just cruises by any means). But by saying I'm a 'member' I already got $500 off, plus a deposit of only $1k. Plus if we cancel we don't have to pay the $250 each or both? admin fee. And with another cruise line rep late last year, there was a pretty tidy reduction in fare after I'd made the final credit that I could take as OBC or FCC. Most people were saying that that doesn't happen. So, yeah, I think I'll keep it where it is also.

A good TA will not just give you a good price value but service pre cruise, during your cruise and post cruise. You should expect at least 5% and sometimes 10% cash back from a generous TA in addition to whatever offer ($1000 SBC) SS offers. We get a very generous check about a month prior to every cruise embark.  And on some voyages our TA even includes a refundable Ship Board Credit (meaning you can take this for cash)

Pre cruise (believe SS consultants in Florida do this too) often our TA automatically upgrades us to Silversea mid ship cabins when available at no charge.  We have received a variety of care packages pre cruise; Hawaiian coffee and Wine.  And since our TA belongs  to a travel consortium we often have another SBC from the travel consortium waiting for us on boarding. 

Here are two examples of how our TA provided exceptional service (that a direct SS consultant could not provide) during the cruise.  Was on the Silver Cloud Cape to Cape this February through March 22 (was suppose to end March 21)  when Capetown/SouthAfrica government (due to Covid 19 virus concerns) would not allow us to dock for four days.  Many passengers were imploring their TA's and also Silver Cloud guest relations to get them air to get back home early.  Alas, the Silver Cloud Guest Relations could not help until March 22, as Silversea Air in Florida was inundated with return air requests from the World Cruisers that had their voyage cut short in Australia, and the Shadow who was locked down in Brazil.

Our TA understanding the need to get us home quickly (even tho we had SS Business class return air included) bought me (their $$) a one way ticket (Biz class) home from Capetown.  I had a confirmed ticket from Mar 16 thru Mar 21 but due to Capetown lockout, could not get off the ship until March 22.  My TA kept track of my status and changed the return air from Capetown to the USA  five times.

During a Silver Spirit crossing, our TA funded a very special lunch designed by the Executive Chef and wine pairings for five courses included for 18 of the TA's guests.

Our TA works post cruise to cultivate client relationships--they sponsored Pod casts with Silversea senior leaders for their Silversea clients.

So, long answer shorter, your 360 degree TA service is not just about $$ you get back from your cruise. A good TA will take care of your needs Pre, during and Post cruise.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, WesW said:

A good TA will not just give you a good price value but service pre cruise, during your cruise and post cruise. You should expect at least 5% and sometimes 10% cash back from a generous TA in addition to whatever offer ($1000 SBC) SS offers. We get a very generous check about a month prior to every cruise embark.  And on some voyages our TA even includes a refundable Ship Board Credit (meaning you can take this for cash)

Pre cruise (believe SS consultants in Florida do this too) often our TA automatically upgrades us to Silversea mid ship cabins when available at no charge.  We have received a variety of care packages pre cruise; Hawaiian coffee and Wine.  And since our TA belongs  to a travel consortium we often have another SBC from the travel consortium waiting for us on boarding. 

Here are two examples of how our TA provided exceptional service (that a direct SS consultant could not provide) during the cruise.  Was on the Silver Cloud Cape to Cape this February through March 22 (was suppose to end March 21)  when Capetown/SouthAfrica government (due to Covid 19 virus concerns) would not allow us to dock for four days.  Many passengers were imploring their TA's and also Silver Cloud guest relations to get them air to get back home early.  Alas, the Silver Cloud Guest Relations could not help until March 22, as Silversea Air in Florida was inundated with return air requests from the World Cruisers that had their voyage cut short in Australia, and the Shadow who was locked down in Brazil.

Our TA understanding the need to get us home quickly (even tho we had SS Business class return air included) bought me (their $$) a one way ticket (Biz class) home from Capetown.  I had a confirmed ticket from Mar 16 thru Mar 21 but due to Capetown lockout, could not get off the ship until March 22.  My TA kept track of my status and changed the return air from Capetown to the USA  five times.

During a Silver Spirit crossing, our TA funded a very special lunch designed by the Executive Chef and wine pairings for five courses included for 18 of the TA's guests.

Our TA works post cruise to cultivate client relationships--they sponsored Pod casts with Silversea senior leaders for their Silversea clients.

So, long answer shorter, your 360 degree TA service is not just about $$ you get back from your cruise. A good TA will take care of your needs Pre, during and Post cruise.

GREAT info! And I really appreciate your taking the time to share. Too bad we're not allowed to share who TAs are 🙂

3 hours ago, clo said:

And does anyone know, if I transfer a booking from a SS rep to a TA, does that affect the SS rep? TIA.

It does not.  They don’t work on a commission like an external TA.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

It does not.  They don’t work on a commission like an external TA.   

Are you certain of this?  I know it was the situation some time ago, but I believe they now operate like TAs (but exclusively for SS products).  Perhaps some reps work under one compensation arrangement and others under another.

3 minutes ago, Observer said:

Are you certain of this?  I know it was the situation some time ago, but I believe they now operate like TAs (but exclusively for SS products).  Perhaps some reps work under one compensation arrangement and others under another.

Thanks. I'm just going to flat out ask him.

17 hours ago, clo said:

GREAT info! And I really appreciate your taking the time to share. Too bad we're not allowed to share who TAs are 🙂

Agree above as to the great post and wisdom from Wes.  The challenge?  Finding a really good TA is not always easy.  The Internet has changed that traditional business model.   There are many people claiming that title who just are "order takers".  Many, unfortunately, have not traveled that much internationally and/or do not provide much "value added" with valuable information and insights about destinations, options, dangers to avoid, etc., etc.  Finding the right skills and style to fit your needs becomes the challenge.  Agree that it is too bad we cannot share TA names here, but I understand why they have that understandable CC rule.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,955

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

11 hours ago, Observer said:

Am I sure?  Not absolutely because as you pointed out things could have changed.  I did ask my SS cruise consultant about transferring a booking to an external TA.   She said it didn’t impact her as she was salaried not on a commission.   Again, things might have changed.  

Am I sure?  Not absolutely because as you pointed out things could have changed.  I did ask my SS cruise consultant about transferring a booking to an external TA.   She said it didn’t impact her as she was salaried not on a commission.   Again, things might have changed.  

I use to have a SS CC in London (unfortunately he has just left SS a few weeks ago I guess because of the Covid pandemic). Very good and knowledgeable guy. Once, I told him that I was trying to find a TA to take care of my booking and get some additional perks. He was surprised and thought I was not happy with his service. He did everything to keep me. I had the feeling that he had some incentives to service me and did not want me to use a TA.
Since that guy left SS, I have been assigned a new CC, still in the London office. I do not know her well for the moment since our only interactions are refund management related. I do not know what would be her reaction should I inform her that I want to transfer my booking to a TA.

I just spoke with 'my guy' at SS and he does get commission. So that answered that for me. He and I spent an hour on the phone when I made the booking and that's what I pay for. Others can do what they wish. And perhaps there are different job titles some with and some without commission.  His is "cruise consultant private travel." And, hey, thanks for weighing in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

I just spoke with 'my guy' at SS and he does get commission. So that answered that for me. He and I spent an hour on the phone when I made the booking and that's what I pay for. Others can do what they wish. And perhaps there are different job titles some with and some without commission.  His is "cruise consultant private travel." And, hey, thanks for weighing in.

Good to know.  In fairness to the cruise consultants I use my external TA from the get go.   Whether they are commissioned or salaried I personally have not felt comfortable booking through a cruise consultant then transferring it.  Doesn’t seem right or fair.   The only reason I used a Silversea cruise consultant for our first SS cruise was we won a SS door prize at a local cruise fair and to use it we had to book through a consultant.  Great lady and she was very helpful but for our following cruises she couldn’t meet the deals I was getting from my external TA.  

8 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Whether they are commissioned or salaried I personally have not felt comfortable booking through a cruise consultant then transferring it.

Randyk47, please don't have any qualms about using the onboard cruise consultant.  They are more than happy to transfer your booking to your preferred TA.  In fact, when they plug in your name, the TA will pop up at the same time too. By using the cruise consultant, you can see inventory in real time, choose the suite you want right on the spot, and don't have to wait for your TA to contact SS to find out when you get home.

25 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Randyk47, please don't have any qualms about using the onboard cruise consultant.  They are more than happy to transfer your booking to your preferred TA.  In fact, when they plug in your name, the TA will pop up at the same time too. By using the cruise consultant, you can see inventory in real time, choose the suite you want right on the spot, and don't have to wait for your TA to contact SS to find out when you get home.

We actually have used the on board consultant and have had dinner with at least three.  They all knew TA we used as several SS cruisers use the same agent and agency.   They had no issues with the transfer.  I was speaking more of using the land based cruise consultants and taking up their time.   

We actually have used the on board consultant and have had dinner with at least three.  They all knew TA we used as several SS cruisers use the same agent and agency.   They had no issues with the transfer.  I was speaking more of using the land based cruise consultants and taking up their time.   

It seems there is a « famous » TA, very good seller of SS Cruises, known by many on this forum. I am desperately looking to a good one. I know the rule of this forum which prevent its members from sharing the name of their TA. How can I do? Thanks.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

she couldn’t meet the deals I was getting from my external TA.

Can you remember any of those deals? On this 100 pax expedition ship there doesn't seem to be a whole lot more to give. "My" SS guy did throw in another $350 OBC but I can't imagine even using the $1k one 🙂

@SSCAF001Someone helped me with a different line by throwing in her email address.