Australia 2022

Reina del Mar

Had read that Princess cruises for 2022 for Australia were being released mid August but nothing yet.

We have a cruise out of Sydney booked for March 2021 but feel it is unlikely to go ahead and even if it does seems that International borders will still be closed, so hoping to defer for a year. Haven’t seen which ships are likely to be based ‘down under’ just yet either. 

I appreciate no one except Princess can actually confirm this, but is anyone able to offer an ‘educated guess’ please ??

I believe pure Australian cruises have a good shot at starting up in 2021 assuming the recent flare ups in COVID are eliminated.  Being in a large, single country in terms of area helps to create reasonable domestic itineraries   The question for me will be how demand exists from the domestic market + acceptable international travelers to support the business?   It will probably start small and hopefully not have the same issues that were experienced in Norway.

I agree that Aussie cruises have a very good chance of resuming by 21st March, '21

'22 is being cautious, but perhaps preferable - especially if you book flight & cruise separately, since most insurance policies exclude (some elements of?) Covid-19.

Sensible too if your cruise includes New Zealand (recommended) since they're determined to maintain their excellent Covid record.

Just MHO, since currently I have to socially-distance from my crystal ball :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Cruises may restart 2021 however most of the talk in Australia about restarting tourism has to do with travel bubbles most likely with New Zealand and/or the Pacific Islands will be our first bubble. It had been estimated that we would have a bubble with New Zealand by now but obviously things have not worked out as planned. Personal opinion I would not be optimistic about a March cruise😔

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

At the risk of being like the grim reaper I would suggest folks look ahead to March 21 and ask themselves the basic question, "what will be different then now?"   

Hank

Got to agreed... all was going not bad here....... then the wheels fell off    ( the second wave )

If lucky we may have a 2021-2020 season over the summer months....

Also the powers to be.... seam rather anti-cruise ships.....

Looking at it everything, even local travel at the current rate will be on hold for a year ....

Cruising well after that.....

Don

I think that Australia won't accept foreign cruisers (from US? No way. UK? Maybe.) and perhaps not foreign crew (and there is no other kind than foreign) in March 2021. If they sail, it might be for Australians and Kiwis only and only after the cruise line jumps through hoops to certify a COVID free crew.

I am not risking any money booking a cruise that may not happen.

14 minutes ago, drsel said:

Why do you think the stock market is booming when so many have died and 22 million are infected

My reasons -

• Central banks have made all other investments completely unattractive
  • Stimulus money has kept money in people's pockets in the countries with the largest stock markets
  • Big corporate names and tech companies are making out OK in this environment - it's the little guy and travel that are getting killed
  • Markets look ahead and not backward
  • Markets see COVID as an opportunity to make money rather than consider the human toll

Probably others as well. 

18 minutes ago, drsel said:

Gold is also booming along with the stock markets.
this has never happened in the past

Good addition.  Gold skyrocketed in the 70's as a store against rampant inflation.  The expectation of inflation from all the easing and stimulus money is probably the driving force again.

5 hours ago, drsel said:

Don't worry the virus will be well under control by then.
Even the vaccines are on the way.
Oxford and Moderna should have their vaccines ready by then.
There is also a Russian vaccine available

Even if the vaccine happens it will take a long time to distribute to the whole population. The Australian government has made it clear there will be a priority of who gets first access and I would guess other countries will implement a similar distribution program. I doubt cruising will be reason enough to put you at the top of the list🙄. Not to mention the foreign workers, it will take even longer for a vaccine to be distributed in most developing nations and again I doubt cruise lines will be allowed to purchase vaccine stock just to bring in foreign workers, definitely not at the beginning. I love the optimism but I think March 2021 is too soon. 

Thank you for all the replies.

Looks like we will have to defer till 2022  at least. Will wait to see if Princess cancel prior to final payment and go from there. If itineraries for  2022 are out before then will just switch FCD  if that's possible.