Memories on this Date

bennybear

10 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

A year ago today we boarded the Volendam in Ft Lauderdale to start the 2020 Grand South America Cruise.

You embarked after I disembarked from the Volendam's Christmas/New Year's Cruise.  Mine was an excellent cruise.  Did you patronize the Ocean Bar?  Rommel was in charge and was a memorable, efficient, and friendly bartender.  I wonder if you got to meet this gentleman.  

January 6th 2015 and we were in Willemstad, Curaçao and we docked at the Mathey Warf which is inside the Queen Emma Pontoon bridge (the swing bridge) and below the Queen Juliana Bridge.

DW loves to visit La Casa Amarilla (Yellow House) on Breedestraat,  Punda to purchase make up. I tend to sit on the river side, watching the ships sail by, drinking an adult beverage.

DSCN0554.JPG

DSCN0556.JPG

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 4

A year ago today we were spending our first full day on the Volundam heading toward our first stop of the Grand South America Voyage, Cayman Islands.   I sure miss that great lady the made my custom omelette every morning.

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

Map of Voyage.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sea42 said:

It was probably Carménère.

I found one I really liked in Chile and brought a few bottles onboard with us.

An excellent choice.  Wines from Chile are often better than some think.  Particularly their red wines.  

• Like 2

1/7/20 We arrived in San Juan.  Unfortunately this was the afternoon of the 6.4 earthquake that happened earlier that morning and most places were shut down.  We were also on the Nieuw Amsterdam which had one disabled azipod, so 2020 was not starting out well at all.  Little did we know what we'd be up against for the rest of the year....

20200107_140822.jpg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, MTAK said:

1/7/20 We arrived in San Juan.  Unfortunately this was the afternoon of the 6.4 earthquake that happened earlier that morning and most places were shut down.  We were also on the Nieuw Amsterdam which had one disabled azipod, so 2020 was not starting out well at all.  Little did we know what we'd be up against for the rest of the year....

20200107_140822.jpg

Definitely, not a great start to 2020 for you.

Hopefully, 2021 will be much kinder to us all!

• Like 1

January 8th 2015 was our day in the canal.  Here are a few shots, including the stern of Prinsendam who was in the locks before us. Prinsendam was on day 6 of her 68 day Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage.  We were turning round in Gatun Lake and heading back to Florida 🙁

DSCN0607.JPG

DSCN0609.JPG

DSCN0611.JPG

DSCN0620.JPG

• Like 3

January 8, 2020 was a stop in Frederiksted St. Croix.  We were supposed to go to St. Maarten, but with only one azipod we were unable to make our original itinerary. Of the limited number of places I've cruised to so far, this stop hasn't been high on my list to return. But oddly enough seems appealing now given the circumstances.

20200108_094347.thumb.jpg.f463fe1b2619981a3016608457a6d755.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

A year ago today was day 3 of our 2020 Grand South America Adventure.  We had left Grand Cayman heading to the Panama Canal.

You embarked on the day I disembarked.  Love the Volendam and love the art and the decor, including the Atrium's glass, lighted sculpture.  

On 1/7/2021 at 6:24 AM, MTAK said:

20200107_140822.jpg

We were passing along the coast of Puerto Rico on the Amsterdam that morning. We were between the epicentre and the shore. There was a brief but heavy vibration pass through the ship. The Captain, who was retiring that year, said it was only the second time in his career he had experienced that. The other time was off the coast of Alaska many years before.

15 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We were passing along the coast of Puerto Rico on the Amsterdam that morning. We were between the epicentre and the shore. There was a brief but heavy vibration pass through the ship. The Captain, who was retiring that year, said it was only the second time in his career he had experienced that. The other time was off the coast of Alaska many years before.

I don't know exactly where we were, but I think off the coast of the Dominican Republic near Punta Cana.  I am a light sleeper and woke early that morning to something, thinking it was rough seas, but I believe it was the earthquake.

January 9, 2020 was a sea day on our return leg. Unfortunately there was an emergency aboard which required a medical evacuation.  The crew starting clearing decks late that afternoon in preparation.  We were in the MDR for early seating when the rescue occurred so I didn't witness any of it but I think everything turned out okay.

January 9th 2020........only last year!

We were in the air, flying to Miami to join Koningsdam on 12th January for our 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise.  The good one with all 3 of the ABC's.  

Most times we would fly from Dublin to take advantage of the U.S. Pre Clearance at Dublin airport, but this time decided to fly from Cork via Heathrow as we got a good deal on AA Business class flights through B.A.  In a few hours time, when we reach Immigration at MIA, we regret that decision!  Talk about chaos........the line for the machines doubled back the whole length of the corridor.

Anyway, who knew that this would be our last cruise for a while????