Have Cruise Prices Increased???

ToddMnIT

3 minutes ago, drsel said:
9 minutes ago, oteixeira said:
I feel Carnival is aiming for a younger crowd and more of a party/night club theme with good but not super upscale dining (burgers and other things like that that they are very big into pushing with celebrities).  I think NCL and RCCL are more looking at the 35-55 crowd which would be more still waiting a good time, but not party all night and more of an upscale food experience.   I do not know any way to do a Haven type of experience on Carnival.  maybe I am missing something??

You are probably missing the MSC Yacht club, its superior to the Haven

I am not missing it, the conversation was CCL vs. NCL vs. RCCL.  I want to get in the YC in the next year or so as well, as in my opinion it most closely aligns to what I love about the Haven.   I also plan to do a Celebrity suite cruise since they also have a similar (although not really all in one area) experience.

Also, I am not saying any of these lines are bad or good, I am saying I think they are aiming for a difference consumer base when we are speaking of CCL. 

Edited by oteixeira

4 minutes ago, drsel said:
9 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I think @oteixeira was comparing Carnival with NCL and RCCL, not MSC.

Undoubtedly Royal Caribbean is the best of the three

Well, we all have our favorites.  I would say the same thing about NCL out of the three.

• Like 1

Well, we all have our favorites.  I would say the same thing about NCL out of the three.
I do love Norwegian too.
There is one giant US online agent which rates each and every ship of all the major Cruise lines.

You should check and compare the ratings of the various ships of Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival.

Just now, drsel said:

I do love Norwegian too.
There is one giant US online agent which rates each and every ship of all the major Cruise lines.

You should check and compare the ratings of the various ships of Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival.

Is it the one with Con in the name?  I can't keep up with all the giant ones, but I get mail from them all the time.  

11 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I feel Carnival is aiming for a younger crowd and more of a party/night club theme with good but not super upscale dining (burgers and other things like that that they are very big into pushing with celebrities).  I think NCL and RCCL are more looking at the 35-55 crowd which would be more still waiting a good time, but not party all night and more of an upscale food experience.   I do not know any way to do a Haven type of experience on Carnival.  maybe I am missing something??

Good points. I think when Carnival was first starting out, they did market toward a younger crowed and a party/night club theme. Maybe that's why Carnival got known for the term "booze cruise". However, as with other cruise lines, Carnival evolved and while still attracting younger crowds, they became more "refined' if you will. A good example of this is Carnival's re-doing the interiors of their Fantasy-class ships. When they first debuted, the Fantasy-class ship interiors in the atriums were very "glitzy" with lots of neon lights and bright colors (especially the Fantasy herself - the first in the class). But then, Carnival came back and redid those interiors and really toned them down, thus imo, moving away from the party-like look/theme.

Yeah, you're right about Carnival though, I don't think they have extra cost specialty dining venues like NCL (not sure about RCCL). I know what you are referring to wrt burger venues that are named for/endorsed by celebrities on Carnival. However, I thought the MDR experiences & food were very good, at least when I cruised with Carnival. I remember the included "lobster nights" in the MDR with fondness. I guess lobster is a big up charge on all the mainstream cruise lines now.

Man, NCL & RCCL are more looking at the 35-55 crowd? I'm screwed, lol. Guess I better move over to HAL. I tell you what, I may be beyond the 35-55 crowd, but like you said, I still want a good time and I can still party all night (I think...haven't tried to in a while). And yes, I also want an upscale food experience.

You are right, no comparable type of Haven experience on Carnival (again, not sure about RCCL). With NCL having the Haven, it harkens back to the old transatlantic liner days (i.e. Titanic) where you would have the different classes on the ship. The Haven is like 1st class on the old liners. Just glad they still don't have "steerage" class (where you're sleeping in a hammock hanging from the overhead with a half a dozen room mates in the same cabin) on the modern cruise ships, lol.

Bottom line, if you're cruising on one of the main stream cruise lines, I guess it depends on personal preference, the kind of "deal" you can get and the kind/size of ship, the itinerary and length of cruise you want.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Good points. I think when Carnival was first starting out, they did market toward a younger crowed and a party/night club theme. Maybe that's why Carnival got known for the term "booze cruise". However, as with other cruise lines, Carnival evolved and while still attracting younger crowds, they became more "refined' if you will. A good example of this is Carnival's re-doing the interiors of their Fantasy-class ships. When they first debuted, the Fantasy-class ship interiors in the atriums were very "glitzy" with lots of neon lights and bright colors (especially the Fantasy herself - the first in the class). But then, Carnival came back and redid those interiors and really toned them down, thus imo, moving away from the party-like look/theme.

Yeah, you're right about Carnival though, I don't think they have extra cost specialty dining venues like NCL (not sure about RCCL). I know what you are referring to wrt burger venues that are named for/endorsed by celebrities on Carnival. However, I thought the MDR experiences & food were very good, at least when I cruised with Carnival. I remember the included "lobster nights" in the MDR with fondness. I guess lobster is a big up charge on all the mainstream cruise lines now.

Man, NCL & RCCL are more looking at the 35-55 crowd? I'm screwed, lol. Guess I better move over to HAL. I tell you what, I may be beyond the 35-55 crowd, but like you said, I still want a good time and I can still party all night (I think...haven't tried to in a while). And yes, I also want an upscale food experience.

You are right, no comparable type of Haven experience on Carnival (again, not sure about RCCL). With NCL having the Haven, it harkens back to the old transatlantic liner days (i.e. Titanic) where you would have the different classes on the ship. The Haven is like 1st class on the old liners. Just glad they still don't have "steerage" class (where you're sleeping in a hammock hanging from the overhead with a half a dozen room mates in the same cabin) on the modern cruise ships, lol.

Bottom line, if you're cruising on one of the main stream cruise lines, I guess it depends on personal preference, the kind of "deal" you can get and the kind/size of ship, the itinerary and length of cruise you want.

I made up the ages, and I am almost aged out as well.  LOL  I was trying to place a type of person for each line.  I totally agree there are people that break the mold, and I hope to for years to come.  

The last paragraph is probably the most correct of anything we have all said, personal preference, deal, etc.  I could probably have a great time on a CCL cruise, I just won't ever know, since I don't feel it "fits" me.

• Like 1

My family just loves Carnival, but I prefer Celebrity. it's more classy.

talking about cruise prices going up, just check out the prices of Celebrity.

Up over 100 percent after the pandemic started.

the last good deal for celebrity was in February 2020

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I could probably have a great time on a CCL cruise, I just won't ever know, since I don't feel it "fits" me.

I'm sure you would also (unless you're looking to cruise in NCL's Haven). If you think about it, both Carnival and NCL have similar marketing slogans. Carnival = The Fun Ships. NCL = Freestyle Cruising.

3 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I'm sure you would also (unless you're looking to cruise in NCL's Haven). If you think about it, both Carnival and NCL have similar marketing slogans. Carnival = The Fun Ships. NCL = Freestyle Cruising.

I do have the dreaded disease of past Haven guest.  Once you go there it is really hard to book a lower level room.  LOL  Maybe if they gave me a free cruise and flight and what not they could twist my arm (CCL, are you listening).  

😄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

My family just loves Carnival, but I prefer Celebrity. it's more classy

I loved (and probably still do) Carnival also but now that I will be cruising solo, I'm looking at NCL and possibly RCCL (especially with their solo balcony cabins on the Quantum-class ships).

Yeah, Celebrity is definitely more of a luxury line. So is Viking, Seabourn, Crystal, Oceania, Silversea to name a few more.

4 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I do have the dreaded disease of past Haven guest.  Once you go there it is really hard to book a lower level room.  LOL  Maybe if they gave me a free cruise and flight and what not they could twist my arm (CCL, are you listening).  

😄

Yeah I can fully understand. Once you do the Haven, I'm sure it's tough to do anything less. But as a solo, I will more often than not, have to pay 2X because of the solo supplement. The Haven is expensive as it is...can you imagine paying 2X as much? Ouch.

• Like 1

Just now, farmersfight said:

Yeah I can fully understand. Once you do the Haven, I'm sure it's tough to do anything less. But as a solo, I will more often than not, have to pay 2X because of the solo supplement. The Haven is expensive as it is...can you imagine paying 2X as much? Ouch.

Honestly I feel for you as a solo cruiser.  You know what you love to do but if you have to go solo it's almost like they want to penalize you for it.  I could not imagine doing Haven or Suites or YC as a solo, it would just be too cost prohibitive.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Honestly I feel for you as a solo cruiser.  You know what you love to do but if you have to go solo it's almost like they want to penalize you for it.  I could not imagine doing Haven or Suites or YC as a solo, it would just be too cost prohibitive.  

Yeah, in a way I understand that the cruise lines have to charge us solos a 100% solo supplement (usually, unless you can find a discount) because their rates are based on pp, double occupancy. So, I as a solo cruiser have to pay for the "ghost" cabin mate, so the cruise line gets that 2nd fare for the cabin.

Don't think I'll be cruising as a solo in The Haven. I'll be happy in a balcony with a solo supplement discount. NCL does have those studio (solo) cabins on their BA, BA+ class ships, but for me, they are just way too small (99 sq ft) and they have no OV (newer ships do have the "virtual balcony" though, which is a live camera feed off the side of the ship that is shown on a screen inside the studio cabin). I do however, like how NCL has provided an exclusive (to studio cabin holders) studio lounge and that NCL has located the studio cabins in an exclusive area of the ship, usually on multiple decks up forward and on upper decks. This exclusive area is only accessible for again, studio cabin holders and a special key card is used to get in this area.

• Like 1

Thanks, after I posted that I did start connecting the dots and realized they do have to reduce capacity.  Actually, I might enjoy it more at reduced capacity.  Good point on making sure people spend those future cruise dollars also.  I have not followed the industry much the last few months, but really impressed with Royal and Norwegian forming a coalition, assembling a team of professionals, and working with the CDC.  Really shocked me carnival being the biggest of the 3 seemed to do nothing but sell ships.

And now to enter the debate.  Our preference in order is NCL, RCL, and Carnival last.  We were major Royal fans, then tried NCL this year and really enjoyed it.  Honestly doubt we will do Carnival gain.  Then again doubt we will ever do Disney again (loved it but price $$$$$)

• Like 1