Have Cruise Prices Increased???

ToddMnIT

I have not shopped for a cruise during during this whole Covid thing?  We got lucky and did an NCL cruise over New Years this year (who knew what was about to happen).  So this time last year I was debating a Hawaii cruise on Pride of America in late September 2020.  Well that never materialized, so I now I am pricing the same cruise and the price has gone up 60% for the same timeframe a year later.  Are others getting the same results?

Depends. We got a great deal on a 2BR Haven suite in April. Just gotta watch the prices. 

The POA is the only way to cruise Hawaii. You’re in port everyday with a couple of overnight port calls which are fantastic. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

if youve cruised with ncl before, and are a latitudes member, the current 15% off is a pretty good deal. i booked a haven 2 bedroom for the same price as the regular 2 bedroom. consequently i would check under my latitudes rewards and see what a cabin will cost

works for me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ToddMnIT said:

now I am pricing the same cruise and the price has gone up 60% for the same timeframe a year later.

I agree with other posters, NCL has lost a lot of $$ and the higher prices may be necessary to recoup some of that $$. Also, there is a lot of pent up demand for cruising so advantage NCL; they can raise prices due to the demand.

But, I'm sure NCL will still be offering deals to keep customers coming back (competition from other mainstream cruise lines). As another posted stated - you just have to keep an eye out for such deals.

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

A lot of competition with MSc offering 50% discount to healthcare workers for all Cruises till 31 March 2021

Bravo MSC. NCL should do the same. For what the health care workers have done and what they have had to deal with (even risking their own lives) during this pandemic, they should get free cruises.

• Like 2

Yes...prices have gone up and are going even higher.

I recently booked for April 2021.  If you include the 15% discount, the cruisenext and the bonus from the TA...the final price was still in the "decent" range.  Assuming it gets canceled, I looked "down the road" to 2022.  I think the interior would cost about as much as my 2021 balcony.

In general I book last minute and get great deals.  When/if cruising starts again, and the April cruise doesn't happen, it's gonna be back to last minute.

4 hours ago, drsel said:

A lot of competition with MSc offering 50% discount to healthcare workers for all Cruises till 31 March 2021

They could offer free cruises to healthcare workers...if the state of the pandemic is so dire, the healthcare workers won't be able to be on vacation to even take the cruise in the first place.

• Like 2

They could offer free cruises to healthcare workers...if the state of the pandemic is so dire, the healthcare workers won't be able to be on vacation to even take the cruise in the first place.
All healthcare workers are entitled to leave and vacation time.
they are not slaves working 24 x 7 x 365
  • Like 1

The prices have gone up because consumers have been duped into using future cruise credits, so they are enslaved to the cruise line for thousands of $.

Hence why cash is King and Queen.

Also, do not forget that all the cruise lines were busy downgrading and upcharging before the virus - they will escalate this trend due to their financial status.

There is no solid, consumer first, basis for booking any cruise in the future.

49 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

The prices have gone up because consumers have been duped into using future cruise credits, so they are enslaved to the cruise line for thousands of $.

Hence why cash is King and Queen.

Also, do not forget that all the cruise lines were busy downgrading and upcharging before the virus - they will escalate this trend due to their financial status.

There is no solid, consumer first, basis for booking any cruise in the future.

If you enjoy cruising, by all means book your cruise now.  Cruise lines are a business and will need to recoup their losses from the Shutdown, prices are just going to go up.   Their are plenty of people willing to pay the price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drsel said:

All healthcare workers are entitled to leave and vacation time.
they are not slaves working 24 x 7 x 365

Nobody said they were...

However, in a crisis, leave and vacation are limited in certain fields such as this. Look at the wildfire situation in California. You really don't think "normal vacation schedules" are being followed by firefighters, do you?

• Like 2

Around Christmas we booked a cruise on MSC Seashore in July next year. Seashore is now replaced with one of MSCs older ships so we have changed our booking to MSC Grandiosa departing one day later. Our new price was more than $2000  less than the price we had from the beginning so we are happy and don't feel like the prices has gone up.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Norwegian has become overpriced considering it is in the same league as Carnival.

I could not disagree more with this comment.  NCL is in line with RCCL, not Carnival.  But, in the end I guess it is all just our opinions.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I could not disagree more with this comment.  NCL is in line with RCCL, not Carnival.  But, in the end I guess it is all just our opinions.  

I thought NCL was in line with both RCCL and Carnival? The "big 3" mainstream cruise lines. I guess it depends on which cruise line is running the best deal(s) at any moment in time.

• Like 1

Just now, farmersfight said:

I thought NCL was in line with both RCCL and Carnival? The "big 3" mainstream cruise lines. I guess it depends on which cruise line is running the best deal(s) at any moment in time.

I feel Carnival is aiming for a younger crowd and more of a party/night club theme with good but not super upscale dining (burgers and other things like that that they are very big into pushing with celebrities).  I think NCL and RCCL are more looking at the 35-55 crowd which would be more still waiting a good time, but not party all night and more of an upscale food experience.   I do not know any way to do a Haven type of experience on Carnival.  maybe I am missing something??

• Like 1