Have Cruise Prices Increased???

ToddMnIT

14 minutes ago, ToddMnIT said:

Someone mentioned the 15% off for Latitude members.  Do you only see that price at final booking.  I logged in and followed the link, but did not see the 15% off reflected in the price.

If you are logged into your MyNCL account the prices will be reflective of the 15% off. After you choose your Fee@Sea offers and get to cabin choice screen you can see final price breakdown and it will show how much the 15% off was.

I haven't noticed an overall increase.

I looked at 5 past and future cruises, all in similar Haven rooms and on various Caribbean routes.

1 in '18, 1 in '19, 3 future bookings for '21, '22 and '23, and the average price per person is $1,225/day, with only ~$100 variance from lowest to highest. 

The current 15% discount made a difference in booking the future cruises.

The cost/PP/day is the number I always consider when deciding on bookings.

I have no idea if this trend applies to other room categories (but as others have said, once in the Haven, always in the Haven).

• Like 1

The supposed "pent up demand" from a tiny portion of the population who are extreme cruisers may be willing to pay the current prices, but Joe Public (needed to actually fill a ship) is never going to pay these jacked up prices given all the uncertainty, cancellations, and pandemic. When I even mention cruising to people, I get looks like I am insane. Those folks aren't cruising any time soon so why not dream big and see who will bite though, I don't blame NCL for trying. No way am I booking though until prices are back to reality.

Edited by pghflyer

Interesting thread because someone at work was telling me how their 7 night RCCL cruise was cancelled this summer and they rescheduled for next summer.  She was telling me prices are so good.  I was curious and decided to look at cruises in February 2023.  I booked the same suite on the Encore that I booked in 2018 when prices were high on a new ship (was still being built in 2018).  The cruise price for another 7 night eastern Caribbean, same ship, same month, same suite was pretty much the same.  It was a few hundred dollars less but the perks were also less.  2 night specialty dining instead of 3.

The Encore will almost be 4 years old in 2023 yet the Haven prices are exactly the same even during a global pandemic.  I am not actively cruise shopping so I cant comment on other lines or other kinds of cabins.  This is just my personal experience from 2018 to a mock booking for 2023 with everything the same.

If it was substantially less, I would flirt with the idea of actually booking.  But NCL is not interested in bringing back cruisers like me. They want new cruisers who have no point of reference on pricing.  So I think the prices with NCL are still high which is odd if they are trying to get people back to cruising.  

Edited by david_sobe

Prices have ABSOLUTELY INCREASED.  Here is the perfect scenario:

I was booked on an Alaska trip in the third week in June of 2020, for one week out of Seward on the Jewel in a Balcony.  Trip got canceled, here are the basics of the financials:

·       I got Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the cost of the trip;

·       I got 25% Bonus Future Cruise Credit;

·       And could get 20% off a cruise booked within some amount of time.

I rebooked an Alaska trip in the third week in June of 2021, for one week out of Seward on the Jewel in a Balcony. 

·       If the price was the same, I would have used 56% of FCC to pay for this trip;

·       It in fact cost me 86% of the FCC

I would say that is quite an increase.

I am sort of gathering up some of the excellent observations on this thread..

Yes, when I mention cruising to anyone, they roll their eyes. So good luck cruise lines. You may get some of the dedicated CC folks, but not me or them

The cruise lines have raised prices and they continue to sell cruises with limited chance of happening, but par for the course for these greedy corporations and perfectly in keeping with their abysmal track record during this pandemic

With their poor financial situation, it highly probable that the onboard food, entertainment, service etc will be downgraded further than all the downgrading that has happened over the years.....so people will pay more for less. Also expect more harassment for upcharge services

So, going on a cruise, I will not.

8 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Yes, when I mention cruising to anyone, they roll their eyes. So good luck cruise lines. You may get some of the dedicated CC folks, but not me or them

The cruise lines have raised prices and they continue to sell cruises with limited chance of happening, but par for the course for these greedy corporations and perfectly in keeping with their abysmal track record during this pandemic

With their poor financial situation, it highly probable that the onboard food, entertainment, service etc will be downgraded further than all the downgrading that has happened over the years.....so people will pay more for less. Also expect more harassment for upcharge services

Well, I am sorry you find everything to be so negative.  I guess we will have to say good bye now, since if you are not going on cruises there would be no need to discuss them here.  I hope you find an amazing new vacation that works for you and anyone you take with you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

Yes, as @oteixeira said, I guess we will not see you on here anymore since you're not cruising in the future. However, there are definitely many good land-based vacations to be had. Just because you don't cruise doesn't mean you can't vacation. Actually, here in the US, the silver lining has been that more people are traveling domestically. Best of luck in your future travels!

• Like 2

Prices have ABSOLUTELY INCREASED.  Here is the perfect scenario:

I was booked on an Alaska trip in the third week in June of 2020, for one week out of Seward on the Jewel in a Balcony.  Trip got canceled, here are the basics of the financials:
·       I got Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the cost of the trip;
·       I got 25% Bonus Future Cruise Credit;
·       And could get 20% off a cruise booked within some amount of time.

I rebooked an Alaska trip in the third week in June of 2021, for one week out of Seward on the Jewel in a Balcony. 
·       If the price was the same, I would have used 56% of FCC to pay for this trip;
·       It in fact cost me 86% of the FCC

I would say that is quite an increase.
If you have two or more royal cruises cancelled in 2021, can you add all the 125% FCCs to one future Cruise in 2022?

I booked the Breakaway in May 2022 and Pride of America in November 2023.  Based on pricing these cruises out pre-pandemic, I got a great deal on both.  I think it depends on when you want to travel.  I looked at several in 2021 and I thought the prices were high.  My guess is that a lot of people rebooked for 2021 and there may be limited capacity when the ships start to sail.

When I first looked at rebooking our Oct 2021 Northern Europe trip, it was looking like it was quite a bit higher for similar dates.  I asked my TA to keep an eye on things and she rebooked us during a great sale.  We are now going in September (slightly warmer and a little more sunlight per day), with more perks, and about $200 savings.  Prices usually go up year to year.  Pride of America is always especially pricy, but for our cruise in Feb 2019, we booked 2 1/2 years out and the price jumped a lot before we finally cruised.

During that first round of cancellations (March/April) I got some really good deals for 2021 and 2022 cruises. NCL was running a 30% off sail and I had a 20% off coupon because of my cancellation. Besides those, I haven't noticed that much of a difference in pricing if I wanted to rebook the same cruise as one that was cancelled. My January cruise that was booked well over a year ago is basically the same price right now. It's actually a little cheaper now factoring in my added costs for the free airfare perk.

4 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Negative Nancy GIFs | Tenor

While I'd love to just laugh about  your post @farmersfight it's pretty much the way I feel, too.  There are lots of reasons why the previous post is off the mark.  A lot of people who've never subscribed to CC still want to travel and cruise.  Will there be some bumps in the road ahead, absolutely, does it mean no one will want to cruise... ? not the case from what I've seen/heard.  

Cruising has become very important to a lot areas in the economy, IMO, too many to let the cruise lines just bite the dust.  

Only time will tell.  Stay positive, stay safe. 

• Like 1

While I'd love to just laugh about  your post @farmersfight it's pretty much the way I feel, too.  There are lots of reasons why the previous post is off the mark.  A lot of people who've never subscribed to CC still want to travel and cruise.  Will there be some bumps in the road ahead, absolutely, does it mean no one will want to cruise... ? not the case from what I've seen/heard.  

Cruising has become very important to a lot areas in the economy, IMO, too many to let the cruise lines just bite the dust.  

Only time will tell.  Stay positive, stay safe. 
White House seems to agree. They will be cruises from Florida next month!