The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Ok, I'll jump in.  This one is another different one, but is a place often visited by river cruises, even though it's not on a river - so you don't have to name a river!

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

DSC01985.JPG

Edited by Daisi

15 hours ago, franski said:

We cruised the Amazon with Avalon...  We went in March - and didn't have issues with severe heat or bugs. Although it was still considered the wet season, we had very little rain while we were on the river.   Did you get to walk in the rain forest?  We did a walk at night...  so amazing just to stand in the forest - turn out our flashlights - and just take in the sounds around us. 

The pink dolphins were a highlight of the cruise.  In fact - I did get to swim in the Amazon - and a pink dolphin breached right in front of me!!  It was a memory I will long remember...

Fran

Fran,

We swam with the dolphins too!!!  Extraordinary.Shortly after we got home I read about a rather nasty parasite that some people get in the Amazon...when we did an Ocean cruise on the Amazon we did not swim again and yes the pink dolphins were there too!  Peruvian River Cruise was much better than Ocean if one is interested in wildlife and fauna.  The heat/humidity of the jungle even in the evening was intense, but so worth seeing the "green buldging-eyed frog"  and odd assortment of insects and huge snakes!  They provided high rubber boots for us to use while hiking in the mud.  We also loved monkey island!!

I am loving this thread and remembering wonderful trips and anticipating new adventures.

I was hoping there might be someone reading in the background who had just not participated yet and would like to post. Do not be shy, have a guess together with us. You can use jokers as well, that is everything from relatives to picture posting websites! Will certainly make my go available again some time in the future - not the next one though, have already chosen a photo that I will post for that. Grin.

Daisi, to your photo. It reminds me of the Außenalster, a lake in Hamburg. But the churches do not quite fit and the ships tend to be smaller there I think. And Hamburg is a river cruise port. So if your photo is not on a river, I will go for a place in: the Netherlands.

notamermaid

12 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I was hoping there might be someone reading in the background who had just not participated yet and would like to post. Do not be shy, have a guess together with us. You can use jokers as well, that is everything from relatives to picture posting websites! Will certainly make my go available again some time in the future - not the next one though, have already chosen a photo that I will post for that. Grin.

Daisi, to your photo. It reminds me of the Außenalster, a lake in Hamburg. But the churches do not quite fit and the ships tend to be smaller there I think. And Hamburg is a river cruise port. So if your photo is not on a river, I will go for a place in: the Netherlands.

notamermaid

I thought you could not post anything due to the fact of it being a game...........I continue to read your postings though.

Not to be misunderstood: the game is a photo quiz, so the prize is you get to post the next photo. But posting itself with a story about the place is always welcome. Just posting several photos one after the other makes the game not work anymore.

I have already thought of another idea for a thread that is not a game - photos and stories. Reminiscing and dreaming. Ooh, we sooo need it I think. But I will give it another thought and ask you (the community) if my idea is okay.

Who knows when we will be on the rivers again? And I now consciously include myself in that now.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Nah, not to worry Daisi. I think two hours of waiting is enough for someone to take the opportunity and post. Like your (and other people's) enthusiasm to keep the game going.

I am no closer to finding out where that photo was taken. All those canals and bodies of water in the Netherlands... Talking of which, it could be one of the lakes that the Dutch call meer. Perhaps this helps others.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I was hoping there might be someone reading in the background who had just not participated yet and would like to post. Do not be shy, have a guess together with us.

While I have many photos taken on river cruises, I'm not as knowledgeable as the rest of you regarding architectural styles, décor, and whatever else it is that you all can see to know what the photos are.  

But I enjoy reading the thread.

Uiii, surprise at breakfast for me. :classic_smile: Another wildcard! Who would like us to guess where they have been on a river cruise or land trip near a river cruise port?

@Shmoo here Happy to hear that you are reading along. About all that knowledge: it is probably helpful in the thread with some photos. Please ignore me, I am a "nearly was history of art student". I always go around places looking at the tiny details. I once kept two guides in Rochester Cathedral, England, busy with finding out about a tiny inscription in one of the pillars. 

In the end it does not matter and for the photos, yes, we all "cheat" heavily with Google, etc. 

Grab the wild card if it is still around when you get up and off you go!

Thanks all for joining in the fun.

notamermaid

I know I have posted a few times before...  But, given that no one has jumped in, I figure I would!!

Sort of a fun pic.  If it isn't guessed quickly (and given the knowledge of the group here, it may be...) then I have a couple of clues.

Fran

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

SoM - pic.jpg

Edited by franski
larger pic

Hello Fran,

I think a lot of people are awake now, so could have jumped in. Let me encourage people again to take a wild card if they have not posted before. We do not need to tell each other sophisticated stories, just post a photo when it is your turn and relive your memories.

I do not know where this place is, but it looks so familiar to places in my country I would say this is either Austria or Germany. It has a German "air" to it, so I will say Germany. There is a clue on the flag, it says ...galerie. Nice horse on the fountain. I will not guess a river, just Germany. Is it?

Over to you, Fran and others.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

Residenzplatz in Salzburg, Danube, Dom Quartier

Yup...  Love to watch the Sound of Music and see Julie Andrews sing (and dance) around this statue...

QofE - your up!!

Fran