Coordinated Masks

32 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I think what they mean is customizing or modifying.  Tampering sounds a bit clandestine and illicit.   Don't think it's a thing -- not yet anyway. 😂

I'd never heard of such a thing till Mapleleafforever mentioned it.    Who knew?  

M

4 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Do we know for certain yet that Royal will let people wear their own masks brought from home? What if you can only wear Cruise line provided masks that can't be tampered with readily? Didn't the Cruise Line already trademark "Seaface"?

If you look at the cruise line's Singapore site, they have very specific mask requirements for the sailings that are to start on Quantum.  I would expect those same requirements when the ships start sailing from the US.  They require a two layer cloth mask with earloops, a disposable surgical mask or a surgical mask/face shield combination.  Neck gaiters and bandanas are not allowed.  Face shields without a mask are not allowed either.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise#maskrequirements

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If you look at the cruise line's Singapore site, they have very specific mask requirements for the sailings that are to start on Quantum.  I would expect those same requirements when the ships start sailing from the US.  They require a two layer cloth mask with earloops, a disposable surgical mask or a surgical mask/face shield combination.  Neck gaiters and bandanas are not allowed.  Face shields without a mask are not allowed either.

Thanks for this - so it looks like we can bring our own.  Wonder how they are going to check how many layers our masks have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for this - so it looks like we can bring our own.  Wonder how they are going to check how many layers our masks have.

There are some styles that are easy to tell they are one layer.  There is a foam type mask that I have seen a lot of that are one layer and some jersey material masks.  Some are obvious and will get stopped, but I am sure some single layer cotton ones will get through.

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

There are some styles that are easy to tell they are one layer.  There is a foam type mask that I have seen a lot of that are one layer and some jersey material masks.  Some are obvious and will get stopped, but I am sure some single layer cotton ones will get through.

Yes they probably will.  Hope they don't have to hire additional mask police and the fares go up as a result. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

With all due respect, can't really compare the rules in SIngapore vs what the rules will be in the USA. (we don't know what they will be in NA yet). Mask use in Singapore is mandated and everyone complies. 

I just bought some fabric with anchors.  Plan on making enough to last the cruise (and the one we're on before the Royal cruise).  Plus I have more masks that I've made (and get washed after being worn) to take with me.  Will probably need another box of disposables, too (DH wears those).  

I'll probably buy a "branded" mask, too.  I wear RCL tee-shirts, why not a mask?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Never heard of mask tampering.   Didn't know it was a thing.  Why don't they just buy single layer masks?

M

Can't find any single layer masks up here. I know lots of people who cut a layer or 2 out, can breath better without the social shame. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

With all due respect, can't really compare the rules in SIngapore vs what the rules will be in the USA. (we don't know what they will be in NA yet). Mask use in Singapore is mandated and everyone complies. 

As I said, there are very specific mask requirements stated and I would expect them to have those same requirements once ships start sailing from the US.  I understand that Singapore requirements and US requirements are not the same. but throw in the CDC requirements as released recently, I can see a mask requirement.

The Royal Promise information is not just set up for Quantum because if you look at the graphics, a lot of it is Oasis class pictures and features, not Quantum class.  I think they will update the information, removing the specific Singapore information, and put the Royal Promise information on the US website in the near future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Can't find any single layer masks up here. I know lots of people who cut a layer or 2 out, can breath better without the social shame. 

That's crazy.  I wear a 5 layer mask designed to breathe easy and they're wonderful.

• Like 1

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

As I said, there are very specific mask requirements stated and I would expect them to have those same requirements once ships start sailing from the US.  I understand that Singapore requirements and US requirements are not the same. but throw in the CDC requirements as released recently, I can see a mask requirement.

The Royal Promise information is not just set up for Quantum because if you look at the graphics, a lot of it is Oasis class pictures and features, not Quantum class.  I think they will update the information, removing the specific Singapore information, and put the Royal Promise information on the US website in the near future.

Masks will 100% be required while cruising out of the USA for the forseeable future. The question is whether or not passengers will be able to bring their own masks or be required to wear a cruise line supplied one. Apparently the masks will have to be worn even on the pool deck except when in water. Sounds awesome!!

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

That's crazy.  I wear a 5 layer mask designed to breathe easy and they're wonderful.

I wear the disposable ones that my employer gives me.......never had a problem either. They give me enough to supply my entire family which is nice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Masks will 100% be required while cruising out of the USA for the forseeable future. The question is whether or not passengers will be able to bring their own masks or be required to wear a cruise line supplied one. Apparently the masks will have to be worn even on the pool deck except when in water. Sounds awesome!!

Once again you are trying to manipulate what I have said, so I am done.

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

Once again you are trying to manipulate what I have said, so I am done.

Oh I'm not arguing with you, I am agreeing with you. Masks will be a requirement yes. I'm saying don't spend too much time on designing masks to coordinate with your outfits until you find out whether or not they'll be allowed to be worn onboard. 

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Where I live people  simply keep the masks under the nose.  Social shame is not a factor.  

m

• Like 1

Well for the most part we will be having fun with it.  It is a way of life for now so may as well make the best.

Please, everyone use approved ones and when wearing paper ones clip them on so they do not blow into the ocean.  Smile with your eyes, we will be on a cruise!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Is that from the US website?  If it is from the Singapore website, it might turn out to be different elsewhere.

It is from the Singapore page of the general Royal site.   While there may be adaptations, I don't foresee a huge departure from the permitted types, unless RCI requires their patented "Seaface" mask for all passengers departing from the US.