Carnival Vista returns to Florida

Saint Greg

On 12/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, Saint Greg said:

Uhmmm Im a little confused with the article saying her first cruise is March 5/21 out of Galveston for Carnivals Sailabration?  My Sailabration cruise on the Panorama is for March 5/22 are these sailabration cruises going on for a whole year? I thought they were just in 2022 to line up with Carnivals Anniversary?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Uhmmm Im a little confused with the article saying her first cruise is March 5/21 out of Galveston for Carnivals Sailabration?  My Sailabration cruise on the Panorama is for March 5/22 are these sailabration cruises going on for a whole year? I thought they were just in 2022 to line up with Carnivals Anniversary?

I am not sure when she is supposed to arrive here, but I am booked on the Vista out of Galveston in April of 2021.

36 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I am not sure when she is supposed to arrive here, but I am booked on the Vista out of Galveston in April of 2021.

I'm booked for rcl liberty april 25th, carnival vista sept 11th.

Vista imo will be a go I hope. I think march and april including yours and mine april cruise will get cancelled. The article is just parroting the posted start date. Too many hoops to jump thru, and as the article mentions the crew needed to restart isnt even on board. Cant do mock cruises without hiring crew.

But it's a good sign that they are thinking of restarting for the ship to at least arrive in usa waters. I think my great deal for april is toast but I'll keep hoping.

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I didn’t write the article but the only sailabration cruises I’m aware of are March 2022.

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Let's get her on over to Galveston 

The last time I was down there Galveston had other ships in the carnival spots. They may be renting them out to someone else right now. I believe Miami is giving the cruise ships free rent during the shutdown.

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The last time I was down there Galveston had other ships in the carnival spots. They may be renting them out to someone else right now. I believe Miami is giving the cruise ships free rent during the shutdown.

Yes I heard that too about miami giving them free rent, but I'd like to hear some communication from the cruiselines about restarting. When will first mock cruises start or inspections. Communicate. 

I'm becoming more and more negative.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I heard that too about miami giving them free rent, but I'd like to hear some communication from the cruiselines about restarting. When will first mock cruises start or inspections. Communicate. 

I don't have much confidence that our April 2021 cruise on the Vista will materialize.  It is a replacement for an April cruise originally booked on the Freedom out of Galveston, way in advance of any pandemic issues.

I am STILL miffed that Carnival took the Freedom away from Galveston prematurely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I wouldn’t expend to hear those things during the holidays. Maybe after New Years.

3 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I am STILL miffed that Carnival took the Freedom away from Galveston prematurely.

Why is that? You’re not losing anything. You’re getting an upgrade trading Freedom for Breeze.

Edited by Saint Greg

Just now, Saint Greg said:

Why is that? You’re not losing anything. You’re getting an upgrade trading Freedom for Breeze.

It traded Freedom for Vista, not Breeze. 

Whether it is an upgrade is a matter of opinion.  Freedom is my favorite ship, followed by the Breeze.

The only reason I booked the Vista was because Carnival moved the Freedom and the Breeze and my granddaughter wanted an April cruise.

The ship within a ship notion is abhorrent to me.  

17 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Whether it is an upgrade is a matter of opinion.  Freedom is my favorite ship, followed by the Breeze.

The only reason I booked the Vista was because Carnival moved the Freedom and the Breeze and my granddaughter wanted an April cruise.

Everyone has their own preferences but I guarantee you this is how carnival sees it.

7 day - Vista replaced Breeze - upgrade

4-5 day - Dream replaced Valor - upgrade 

4-5 day Breeze will replace Dream - upgrade

6-8 day Dream will replace Freedom - upgrade

And Galveston was going to get Radiance before COVID forced them to get rid of the two west coast fantasy class ships.

New Orleans will gladly trade either of the older conquest class ships for any ship Galveston has.

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

Everyone has their own preferences but I guarantee you this is how carnival sees it.

7 day - Vista replaced Breeze - upgrade

4-5 day - Dream replaced Valor - upgrade 

4-5 day Breeze will replace Dream - upgrade

6-8 day Dream will replace Freedom - upgrade

The way Carnival sees it has nothing to do with the way I see it.  Galveston got the short end of the stick, losing both Freedom and Breeze.  Thank goodness the Breeze will be returning.

A poster here often said the Vista class was a home run.  Perhaps it was for Carnival's bottom line.  That has never been a consideration in my cruising experience and enjoyment.

I think Carnival sees an upgrade as "More passengers, more money."

41 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I don't have much confidence that our April 2021 cruise on the Vista will materialize.  It is a replacement for an April cruise originally booked on the Freedom out of Galveston, way in advance of any pandemic issues.

I hadn't thought of it in those terms. Oddly I had liberty OTS booked april 2020 that got cancelled. Now my next up cruise is again liberty OTS for april 2021. My last cruise was on vista and my plan was to alternate cruiselines, and do rcl next since last I did carnival.  I also had a carnival freedom booked at a really good rate last october I lost.

Assuming my liberty OTS in april gets cancelled, and sept vista goes, that's vista twice in a row. 

......something about the best laid plans of mice and men. Vista twice in a row and almost the identical cabin, just the same cabin, opposite side of the ship to look out at. Not sure now what I can do to mix things up and not wind up with the same cruise twice in a row. I had 4 or 5 in between get cancelled on both lines. 

42 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Mostly i concur, I liked magic the best, but freedom and dream were way up there.

I did not particularly like vista, I only booked it because it was the only 7 day offered that fit the days I could go. Dream was 6/8, and vista 7, there were no other 7 day choices. Didnt like bbq outside deck 5 or promenade closed in and no space to find to sit up in the spa area. I got a salad once up there and then had to sit on a wet seat, only one I could get. That's one thing I prefer about rcl, I can find a place to sit. I cant on carnival in spa area and solo have no one to save a seat.

I too would have picked freedom or dream over vista if either had 7 days when i booked. We agree.

Firefly I have had so many cancelled I can't keep them straight any more.  All Carnival since I sail only from Galveston.

My TA of many years, who died last month, kept trying to get me to try RCL.  I was never inclined to do so since they look like shopping malls at sea to me.

I am glad there have been choices out there for every taste.

22 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

New Orleans will gladly trade either of the older conquest class ships for any ship Galveston has.

I wouldnt be surprised to see carnival prices go up out of new orleans. Rcl sold majesty which was doing new orleans and has no plans to replace her. Must not be a great market.

I know given my choice of Galveston and a beach and cheaper parking and quieter vs new orleans higher priced hotels and parking. I know 2 people who got pick pocketed. Not everyone picks a night of drinking over a beach or there would be more of a market out of new Orleans. Rcl would replace the ship its selling and not just pulling out.

4 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Firefly I have had so many cancelled I can't keep them straight any more.  All Carnival since I sail only from Galveston.

My TA of many years, who died last month, kept trying to get me to try RCL.  I was never inclined to do so since they look like shopping malls at sea to me.

I am glad there have been choices out there for every taste.

I like both for different reasons. I love the aqua blue glass of rcl ships and think they are prettier.

My rcl april booking was out on a hump, solo balcony for $884. total including taxes. I really hate to lose this price and prince balcony. Carnival always charges me 200%, rcl I get double loyalty pts and free drinks. 3 on my card, more in a lounge I've never used yet. I like that rcl seems to encourage solo cruisers. For instance at diamond plus buy 1 pay dinner get one free a solo can do it over 2 nights. And has a few solo cabins, not that I'm booked in any, kid rather the extra loyalty pts.

Dont miss allure if they ever finish terminal 3 in Galveston...it is really worth the extra.

My theory is trade back and forth and enjoy the best on both.

Not sure why you think rcl seems like a shopping mall. The very same company that runs the shops on carnival ships runs the shops on rcl ships. I bought something on one and could return it on the other, it's the same crap with a different logo. Both lines.

I do prefer the shows and solarium on rcl. Carnival shows went downhill and now vista has cut the theater and comedy club in half..let's cut the free space theory carnival theme. Lol.. and here I am doing vista twice in a row by accident. I prefer the lunches on carnival,guys and bbq especially and the mexican. I love salads. Good on each.

But really hate to lose my D2 special hump next april on Liberty OTS. Let's hope I'm wrong and cruising is going. Great solo price which I cant get on carnival or double loyalty pts.

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see carnival prices go up out of new orleans. Rcl sold majesty which was doing new orleans and has no plans to replace her. Must not be a great market.

I know given my choice of Galveston and a beach and cheaper parking and quieter vs new orleans higher priced hotels and parking. I know 2 people who got pick pocketed. Not everyone picks a night of drinking over a beach or there would be more of a market out of new Orleans. Rcl would replace the ship its selling and not just pulling out.

Galveston has nothing to do with a choice between Galveston and New Orleans. There are 30 million people in Texas. Most of them are all about doing everything in Texas. The market is huge. That's why Galveston gets what they get. It has nothing to do with the brown water beach they have or the parking or the hotels. I will say parking isn't much different. As long as there isn't a big convention in or event in New Orleans hotels are better deals in New Orleans. I won't stay in Galveston before a cruise. In Galveston it's $200 for the motel 6. In New Orleans I can get a luxury hotel for $100...maybe less. I have spent well over 100 nights in New Orleans and I don't know anyone who has been pick pocketed.

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

The way Carnival sees it has nothing to do with the way I see it.  Galveston got the short end of the stick, losing both Freedom and Breeze.  Thank goodness the Breeze will be returning.

A poster here often said the Vista class was a home run.  Perhaps it was for Carnival's bottom line.  That has never been a consideration in my cruising experience and enjoyment.

I think Carnival sees an upgrade as "More passengers, more money."

Like I said everyone has their preferences. The fact is Galveston has 3 of Carnival's 6 newest ships. You will struggle getting many people to believe they got the short end of the stick. I like Vista over Freedom and it isn't close. Vista and Breeze is more difficult. I like both but I think I would go with Vista until they upgrade the internet on Breeze and add JiJi's.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1