Celebrity has gone all inclusive, is that going to happen to Royal?

We have cruised 11 times on our favorite cruise line, Celebrity, 2 times on Royal, our second favorite and 7 on NCL.   NCL and Celebrity have gone all inclusive with perks that we don't want.   We prefer straight booking and since we are moderate drinkers, will buy our own drinks if we need them (rarely need them due to Royal's great Diamond HH).  It appears that Royal's bookings are still without mandatory perks and their prices are WAY MORE competitive compared to Celebrity.

Is Royal going to all inclusive?

When they cancel my next cruise, it will break down like this for a refund: $2100 cruise fare, taxes, port fees, $2146 for all the add-ons (drink packages, specialty dining, 1 excursion). I would prefer a single price and be done with it. That way I know what I am paying for the entire trip up front. Price = fare, taxes, port fees, drinks, gratuities, entertainment, all dining, cruise sponsored excursions.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

When they cancel my next cruise, it will break down like this for a refund: $2100 cruise fare, taxes, port fees, $2146 for all the add-ons (drink packages, specialty dining, 1 excursion). I would prefer a single price and be done with it. That way I know what I am paying for the entire trip up front. Price = fare, taxes, port fees, drinks, gratuities, entertainment, all dining, cruise sponsored excursions.

Pretty sure that a lot who don’t buy drink packages, shore excursions or specialty dining would not like the all inclusive model. 

Right now everyone has a choice.

Non of the major cruise lines include all the specialty dining.  They only offer a meal or two and the same with shore excursions, it’s only one or two or a small credit per port which in many cases doesn’t even cover the full cost of an excursion.  Even with the all inclusive packages that some lines promote (NCL, Princess and Celebrity) you can still end up paying extra.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You can purchase all of those things up front prior to the cruise, know exactly what you are paying for, and be done with it. All my years of cruising I can think of only 2 ship sponsored excursions that we have done, we don't pay extra for food, and have no plans to pay extra for entertainment.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You can purchase all of those things up front prior to the cruise, know exactly what you are paying for, and be done with it.

Not true. You have to purchase the cruise first, then get access to the planner, then purchase everything. It is my preference, maybe not others, to book and be done. Some people have $10k for vacations, some have $2k. My vacation style is pay for it and there are no other expense other than souvenirs. Want to play Bingo? Go play it, cards are paid for already. No expense of $25-$50 for cards. Want to do an escape room? Sign up and do it, not see a $40 room charge for it.

It is so much easier with the all inclusive model.  I think an easier option.  Have seen people purchase a drink package and hand a drink to friends without drink package- this will avoid any people "cheating" the system .  Also, nice not to have bills to pay at the end of the cruise.  

20 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

.....Is Royal going to all inclusive?

I sure hope not. Since they cater more to families I don’t think they will.

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You can purchase all of those things up front prior to the cruise, know exactly what you are paying for, and be done with it. All my years of cruising I can think of only 2 ship sponsored excursions that we have done, we don't pay extra for food, and have no plans to pay extra for entertainment.

Same here. I would rather pay extra only if we decide we want the extras. We bought the drink package 1 time and will never do it again. If we didn’t get our money’s worth then we would end up paying $20.00 to $30.00 per drink. No way, that’s just crazy. Some cruises we drink more and some we drink very little. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

It is so much easier with the all inclusive model.  I think an easier option.  Have seen people purchase a drink package and hand a drink to friends without drink package- this will avoid any people "cheating" the system .  Also, nice not to have bills to pay at the end of the cruise.  

I should pay more to include drinks because other people cheat? I don't think so. You can buy the package if you don't want bills at the end of the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity keeps reinventing the wheel.  First they had 1-2-3 go, Good, Better and Best and then Pick your Perk. They were all the same marketing strategy that made you feel like you were getting something for nothing.  Now they just cut to the chase without the B.S. and include it in the cruise fare. I buy the drink package and internet package on Royal or any other cruise line that doesn't bundle so in the past it worked for me. Now Celebrity has priced me out even before this latest change.  Princess is or was offering the best ever sale which included all the bells and whistles for a 10 day itinerary that I loved. I would have booked in a heartbeat if it wasn't for sailings Nov-Dec 2021.

38 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I should pay more to include drinks because other people cheat? I don't think so. You can buy the package if you don't want bills at the end of the cruise.

We travel on celebrity equally, and one price is great and works well.  I don’t drink alcohol, but enjoy special coffees, premium water, and other non alcoholic beverages.  Like tips included, give additional when deserved also

If they price themselves out with all in pricing, then people will make other choices. 

Disney World does this with all their dessert parities. They include alcohol, but it’s the same price for an adult as it is for a 16 year old. So I will never pay that. I don’t look at it as a value add for the adult who will drink. They are overcharging for people they know can’t or also they drink. 

I really wish there were options to choose from. I also wonder if Royal has cruises to Saint Petersburg. I also look for some offices that offer Baltic cruises. If you could help me with that I would really appreciate it 

I am not an accountant, but was raised by parents that grew up during the depression.   Squeezing the nickel until the indian was riding the buffalo was the name of the game.

I look for best value and value includes not paying for stuff that I won't buy.

We are moderate drinkers and drink more wine than anything.   On every cruise, I always review what we have spent from printing out the cruise line's bill.   Even before we were elite on Celebrity, we never spent more than about $550 total for alcohol for a two week cruise.  Now since we are elite on X and diamond on Royal, our bills are usually from 0 (on Royal due to the lengthy Diamond HH) to $300 for a wine plan on X.    No way does buying or paying for a drink package make sense for us.

All it takes is reviewing your bill at the end of the cruise and adding up items that would be part of a drink package or whatever promo is offered.

Being all inclusive is great if that is what you want , however if you don't drink alcohol etc then you are paying for something you will not participate in. When we go away my DW and I get the drinks package as we like to have a drink whilst on holiday and do not want to have to worry about a bill at the end of our cruise, it also includes specialty coffee etc so we get our monies worth throughout the cruise. Would I like it to be all inclusive? yes I would as it lets me know when I book how much I am spending from the off and also that I do not have to worry about extra expenses, tips included. The only thing extra would be specialty dining if I wanted it.

8 minutes ago, Roybthered said:

......Would I like it to be all inclusive? yes I would as it lets me know when I book how much I am spending from the off and also that I do not have to worry about extra expenses, tips included. The only thing extra would be specialty dining if I wanted it.

It’s easy to find what the extras would be. Grats  are a fixed price pppd. Beverage package is also easy to find out within a close amount of what it would cost you and the same as the internet. Set that as you overall cost. Watch to see if internet or beverage package prices come down and that’s even better.

• Like 2