VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not talking about the drug company, talking about the business administrating the injection. In our case, Sutter Health.

Ah but they are not in our area ,so no phone calls ,again to my knowledge o we would have heard about it through Next Door Neighbor  web site . People there posting that they are having difficulty with securing appointments   . However ,they do exist in your area in Calif

My experience was I had gotten fed up with the process and quit worrying about it.   Then my sister encouraged me to give it one more try.  So I went to the state list of hubs and applied at every single one within a 90 mile radius.  I signed up for email, phone and text alerts.   Then I forgot about it.  48 hours later I was scheduled and  I traveled 20 miles to a rather small nearby town and got the vaccine.  

My advice is since you don’t want to go through the rigamarole then just quit worrying about it, call your local pharmacy weekly and get it there when available.   Don’t worry you are not missing out.  I just read an article published today by Forbes that each of the various manufacturers are planning to have 2 billion doses by June.  That is each including the Chinese, Moderna, Pfizer and JNJ

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

Ah but they are not in our area ,so no phone calls ,again to my knowledge o we would have heard about it through Next Door Neighbor  web site . People there posting that they are having difficulty with securing appointments   . However ,they do exist in your area in Calif

I am in Rancho Bernardo and have scheduled neighbors for their vaccine.   Those that have been cancelled by sites that have closed due to lack of vaccine have received either a phone call or email and have been rescheduled.   
As has been mentioned many times before you need to call 211 and explain your situation and have them assist you in making an appt.   You are going to get further behind as they are opening another category on Monday.

If you are retired military in your age group there are appts available at Pt Loma.   Then again you won’t drive out of your neighborhood.  I suggest having your children in LA help you with securing a vaccine.  

11 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

I am in Rancho Bernardo and have scheduled neighbors for their vaccine.   Those that have been cancelled by sites that have closed due to lack of vaccine have received either a phone call or email and have been rescheduled.   
As has been mentioned many times before you need to call 211 and explain your situation and have them assist you in making an appt.   You are going to get further behind as they are opening another category on Monday.

If you are retired military in your age group there are appts available at Pt Loma.   Then again you won’t drive out of your neighborhood.  I suggest having your children in LA help you with securing a vaccine.  

We just vended the call to 211 San diego . A very pleasant fella .Neil told me that there has been disruption in  vaccine supplies for the last 2 weeks . He also stated that the Del Mar lpcation is closed to March 14th .We truely did not believe that there was no shortages  of vaccines & Neil confirmed our suspicion  .We hope that the supply chain will castly improve by April /May   for all of us  who seek   to be vaccinated 

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We just vended the call to 211 San diego . A very pleasant fella .Neil told me that there has been disruption in  vaccine supplies for the last 2 weeks . He also stated that the Del Mar lpcation is closed to March 14th .We truely did not believe that there was no shortages  of vaccines & Neil confirmed our suspicion  .We hope that the supply chain will castly improve by April /May   for all of us  who seek   to be vaccinated 

Thank you for responding.  Keep trying, Del Mar is within your immediate neighborhood.  If you keep trying 211 will get you an appt as you say you have major underlying conditions.

San Diego vaccines are short because of the focus on under served communities, focusing on 2nd doses, and all the education staff being vaccinated.  
Slight progress.

3 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Thank you for responding.  Keep trying, Del Mar is within your immediate neighborhood.  If you keep trying 211 will get you an appt as you say you have major underlying conditions.

San Diego vaccines are short because of the focus on under served communities, focusing on 2nd doses, and all the education staff being vaccinated.  
Slight progress.

We will keep trying   .For us the JnJ sounds ti be our best option because of hopefully lower side effects  .My sister in AZ got her 2 Pfizer shots & on the 2nd shot wound up in bed for 2 days with chilld ,fever & boy aches .She is 74  . Thus ,we decided that the JnJ could be better because it is a one shot vaccine 

Here is some information on the current expected 3 to 4 month vaccine protection . but ,what counts more is getting most every one vaccinated as quickly as possible 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/health/2021/03/05/covid-vaccine-immunity-wont-last-forever-but-doesnt-need/4595171001/

25 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We will keep trying   .For us the JnJ sounds ti be our best option because of hopefully lower side effects  .My sister in AZ got her 2 Pfizer shots & on the 2nd shot wound up in bed for 2 days with chilld ,fever & boy aches .She is 74  . Thus ,we decided that the JnJ could be better because it is a one shot vaccine 

Here is some information on the current expected 3 to 4 month vaccine protection . but ,what counts more is getting most every one vaccinated as quickly as possible 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/health/2021/03/05/covid-vaccine-immunity-wont-last-forever-but-doesnt-need/4595171001/

Please do not hold out for your ‘preferred’  vaccination.   2 days of chills and fever are far better.  As all health channels say, just get the vaccine available.

• Like 3

Agree with @kiwimum, take what's available as soon as it's available.  The Pfizer or Moderna vaccines offer more coverage for older people.  Just because someone had side effects doesn't mean you will, and getting J&J doesn't guarantee you won't. 

• Like 3

It is a difficult decision  because when you are our ages  , all things tend to  take on  different physical impacts vs younger people   .  Thus ,it seems to me there is no panacea  . My wife has asthma  & some other physical difficulties .  I have diabetes type 2  & other physical limitations  . Thus ,we have   reasons  for concern   about which  vaccine seems to be best for us ,especially that my younger sister had those 2 days of bad side effects 

We rather be safe than sorry ,this is the rational decision to vie for the JnJ vaccine .  It give immunity against getting very sick & death  like the Pfizer & Moderna   vaccines   .The other issues is how long  in months are we protected even with the vaccine   .There seems to be no answer yet to that question for any of us .Perhaps science will have a better answer to that question in the bear future ,hopefully

The main reason to get as  manny people vaccinated as quickly as possible   are one to reach herd immunity  & secondly  to  stop the virus from new mutations ;which may or may not be a feasable goal 

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Just because someone had side effects doesn't mean you will, and getting J&J doesn't guarantee you won't.

I agree.  And I can't help but wonder if the side effects might be worse with J&J since it's all in one dose.  I don't know and haven't heard anything to say one way or the other yet.

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I agree.  And I can't help but wonder if the side effects might be worse with J&J since it's all in one dose.  I don't know and haven't heard anything to say one way or the other yet.

My wife's cousin  in New York State is 68 & had the JnJ  vaccine  with no side effects   .Most side effects even in the test cases came  during the 2nd vaccine shots  .Others   on this thread  have  stated  side effects from the 2nd vaccine injection   .Only the test of time tells all 

20 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

My wife's cousin  in New York State is 68 & had the JnJ  vaccine  with no side effects   .Most side effects even in the test cases came  during the 2nd vaccine shots  .Others   on this thread  have  stated  side effects from the 2nd vaccine injection   .Only the test of time tells all 

I have three friends in NJ who had J&J.  The one is in her mid-40's and had side effects of flu-like symptoms.  The other two Friends are 69 yrs. old and both had similar side effects of flu-like symptoms.  They lasted 24 hours similar to the side effects some get with Moderna and Pfizer.

We had Moderna 1st Dose (2nd Dose on 25th).  My DH had no symptoms and I had a headache (lasted about 24 hours).  I have Customers who are in their 80's and had two Doses of Pfizer and only a sore arm both times.  My Brother had side effects with 1st Dose of Moderna (he's 74) and no side effects with 2nd Dose.  Bottom line it seems to all depend on the person and not the Vaccine, JMO!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, idiebabe said:

I have three friends in NJ who had J&J.  The one is in her mid-40's and had side effects of flu-like symptoms.  The other two Friends are 69 yrs. old and both had similar side effects of flu-like symptoms.  They lasted 24 hours similar to the side effects some get with Moderna and Pfizer.

We had Moderna 1st Dose (2nd Dose on 25th).  My DH had no symptoms and I had a headache (lasted about 24 hours).  I have Customers who are in their 80's and had two Doses of Pfizer and only a sore arm both times.  My Brother had side effects with 1st Dose of Moderna (he's 74) and no side effects with 2nd Dose.  Bottom line it seems to all depend on the person and not the Vaccine, JMO!

That is interesting  .One needs to ponder why some people are getting side effects from the vaccines while others are not  getting any side effects  . The only current conclusion with out medical  histories is  their systems   abilities to fight off any disease  .A higher immune system  might  be better to accept the vaccines with out side effects  other than a sore arm 

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

That is interesting  .One needs to ponder why some people are getting side effects from the vaccines while others are not  getting any side effects  . The only current conclusion with out medical  histories is  their systems   abilities to fight off any disease  .A higher immune system  might  be better to accept the vaccines with out side effects  other than a sore arm 

My sister has a very low Tolerance to any medication & her immune system ivery  low .Thus ,she has those flu like  aches ,fever ie  for 48 hours 

15 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Our doctor can not help us here .we already asked 

That is too bad.  My mother was able to get hers in the first week of January because her doctor put her name on a hospital list in December

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is too bad.  My mother was able to get hers in the first week of January because her doctor put her name on a hospital list in December

So it seems  nothing  works the same all over  .  Here  our doctor makes no hospital calls . Thus ,if we were hospitalized other than surgery  we would have a on site doctor  who works in that hospital . Of course oir records would immediately transfer to the on site attending physician  ,Still it is not the best way to get medical care imo .  not having your own doctor . It is what it is in todays world 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Actually doctors think it is the opposite. If you have a robust immune system, you are more likely to experience some of the side effects that are related to the typical response to infectious diseases (e.g., flu) such as a fever, muscle soreness, tiredness. 

It has been noted that the elderly are actually less likely to experience these effects to a great degree, and that is partially because the effectiveness of your immune response tends to diminish as you age.

(Of course, I am not talking about allergic responses, that is different.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Actually doctors think it is the opposite. If you have a robust immune system, you are more likely to experience some of the side effects that are related to the typical response to infectious diseases (e.g., flu) such as a fever, muscle soreness, tiredness. 

It has been noted that the elderly are actually less likely to experience these effects to a great degree, and that is partially because the effectiveness of your immune response tends to diminish as you age.

(Of course, I am not talking about allergic responses, that is different.)

In my sisters case ,she is 74  with a very low immune system (she cannot tolerate a lot of medicines ,she has passed out  frequently ie --now getting a barrage of tests  to find causes  ) but ,she had 48 hours of bad side effects from the 2nd Pfizer  vaccine injection  .she was in bed 2 days  .Thus ,it is not really true that the older people might not get those side effects .We truly are all different .I know that not being ah=ble to be in the local gym 3 or 4 days per week has dramatically  hurt my system  .this I do know for sure .what I don't know is how the vaccines would impact us 

Edited by mcrcruiser

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

In my sisters case ,she is 74  with a very low immune system (she cannot tolerate a lot of medicines ,she has passed out  frequently ie --now getting a barrage of tests  to find causes  ) but ,she had 48 hours of bad side effects from the 2nd Pfizer  vaccine injection  .she was in bed 2 days  .Thus ,it is not really true that the older people might not get those side effects .We truly are all different .I know that not being ah=ble to be in the local gym 3 or 4 days per week has dramatically  hurt my system  .this I do know for sure .what I don't know is how the vaccines would impact us 

I think much of this disease and the immune response to this disease is pure and simple genetics, if so, then the vaccine response would be tied to genetics also.    I heard that supposition from a physician early on in this crisis. Didn't the Chinese say long ago that they found men fared better than women?

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think much of this disease and the immune response to this disease is pure and simple genetics, if so, then the vaccine response would be tied to genetics also.    I heard that supposition from a physician early on in this crisis. Didn't the Chinese say long ago that they found men fared better than women?

Science is still learning more about this virus every day  .Yet they have not come to many conclusions . some things are apparent & true while other issues about the virus are still unknown . Imo ,this virus mutates frequently & because of that issue we may be required to take booster shots each year  liking to the flu vaccine 

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Science is still learning more about this virus every day  .Yet they have not come to many conclusions . some things are apparent & true while other issues about the virus are still unknown . Imo ,this virus mutates frequently & because of that issue we may be required to take booster shots each year  liking to the flu vaccine 

Absolutely, we will need a booster, at least for those of us in tiers 1a,b and c.  It does not even need to mutate to require a booster.  Not all vaccines impart lifetime immunity, most flu vaccines do not impart lifetime immunity. That is the issue, not the mutations.