Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Well we will finally be eligible to be vaccinated on March 24th in NC.  Thirty seven states are ahead of us in vaccinating Group 4 😳.  We are already registered and awaiting a call.  We are located on an island that only has 800 year round residents so I expect things will go smoothly when it’s our time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Well we will finally be eligible to be vaccinated on March 24th in NC.  Thirty seven states are ahead of us in vaccinating Group 4 😳.  We are already registered and awaiting a call.  We are located on an island that only has 800 year round residents so I expect things will go smoothly when it’s our time.

Not sure anybody else knows what "Group 4" is. I haven't heard the phrase...could you define it for others?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Vons here locally  was to have vaccines  both Pfizer & JnJ  .When i went in to make a appt .no appts  available  . Same old story  .Very discouraging .   Only saving grace is I am locked in &  can do better in the stock market trading  LOL😂

Edited by mcrcruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure anybody else knows what "Group 4" is. I haven't heard the phrase...could you define it for others?

Sorry, thought it was the CDC standard. Here is Group 4.  I qualify because I am fat, have high blood pressure (treated) and smoked as a teenager.  DW qualifies as a two time cancer survivor.

 

This population includes anyone with conditions that have been identified by the CDC as increasing risk for severe COVID-19 illness. The CDC may update the list of high-risk conditions as scientists learn more about COVID-19. NCDHHS will update the list accordingly:

  • Asthma (moderate to severe)
  • Cancer
  • Cerebrovascular disease or history of stroke
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Diabetes type 1 or 2
  • A heart condition such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy
  • Hypertension or high blood pressure  
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from: immune deficiencies, HIV, taking chronic steroids or other immune weakening medicines, history of solid organ blood or bone marrow transplant
  • Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, including Down Syndrome
  • Liver disease, including hepatitis
  • Neurologic conditions,such as dementia and schizophrenia
  • Pulmonary fibrosis
  • Overweight or obesity 
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease (not including sickle cell trait) or thalassemia
  • Smoking (current or former, defined as having smoked at least 100 cigarettes in their lifetime)

PEOPLE LIVING IN A CLOSE GROUP LIVING SETTING

This population includes anyone who is living in congregate or close group living settings who is not already vaccinated due to age, medical condition or job function, including:

  • People experiencing homelessness or living in a homeless shelter
  • Correctional facility, such as jail or prison
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Group 4?  I think that's everyone else.  We are still on 1b in GA.  EM

No, Group 5 is everyone else 😀.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although we see  more & more people vaccinated in the news  .The numbers seem impressive 'however, we are left behind ,over 80 with underlying medical conditions .so the White house is now asking  medical insurance yo help  out our group . I thought it might ne me ;but ,when I saw this from the White house announcement  ,it all adds up . Here is our senior confdo area of over 500 homes leaac than 10 % have been vaccinated  . Gov Nrewsom ,Calif gov ,  moved  a great amount  of all vaccines t(40% )o poorer counties or areas in the state claiming that is where the worse cases are  'but ,he left us seniors in the dark 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Sorry, thought it was the CDC standard. Here is Group 4. 

Not sure how the CDC Group translates to each state. Here in SC we have Phases 1a, 1b, 1c and 2. Phase 2 is everybody. The 1x phases include various CDC recommend folks, such as Phase 1b includes the CDC classification for severe (high) risk of Covid-19, 1c is what SC calls Essential Frontline Workers (Delivery Drivers, Utility Workers, etc.) , not included in previous 1a & 1b groups. 1b also included 55 and up, which is how the DW and I got ours (Moderna) last weekend. We've just entered Phase 1b over the weekend. While the 'official' date for Phase 1b was Monday, the scheduling website opened up last week about Wednesday and we were able to secure a Saturday appointment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Although we see  more & more people vaccinated in the news  .The numbers seem impressive 'however, we are left behind ,over 80 with underlying medical conditions .so the White house is now asking  medical insurance yo help  out our group . I thought it might ne me ;but ,when I saw this from the White house announcement  ,it all adds up . Here is our senior confdo area of over 500 homes leaac than 10 % have been vaccinated  . Gov Nrewsom ,Calif gov ,  moved  a great amount  of all vaccines t(40% )o poorer counties or areas in the state claiming that is where the worse cases are  'but ,he left us seniors in the dark 

Ah...the stats indicate over 75% of those over 75 have received at least one shot in California...almost 50% of those over 65. You haven't been left in the dark. You can wait for it to come to you, or you can go out and get it. My wife (70) is getting her second shot as I write this, and she has been a fierce pursuer of the shots. Have two brothers in law (75 and 73) and two sisters in law (72 and 65) in California, and they are also fully vaccinated. I am on 4 different "waste" call lists, as I am only 64.

 

The poorer communities are where the majority of cases are...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Not sure how the CDC Group translates to each state. Here in SC we have Phases 1a, 1b, 1c and 2. Phase 2 is everybody. The 1x phases include various CDC recommend folks, such as Phase 1b includes the CDC classification for severe (high) risk of Covid-19, 1c is what SC calls Essential Frontline Workers (Delivery Drivers, Utility Workers, etc.) , not included in previous 1a & 1b groups. 1b also included 55 and up, which is how the DW and I got ours (Moderna) last weekend. We've just entered Phase 1b over the weekend. While the 'official' date for Phase 1b was Monday, the scheduling website opened up last week about Wednesday and we were able to secure a Saturday appointment. 

California's is very similar, and we enter 1c next Monday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Ah...the stats indicate over 75% of those over 75 have received at least one shot in California...almost 50% of those over 65. You haven't been left in the dark. You can wait for it to come to you, or you can go out and get it. My wife (70) is getting her second shot as I write this, and she has been a fierce pursuer of the shots. Have two brothers in law (75 and 73) and two sisters in law (72 and 65) in California, and they are also fully vaccinated. I am on 4 different "waste" call lists, as I am only 64.

 

The poorer communities are where the majority of cases are...

We don't  see how northern calif   got so many doses  & here we all sit looking & waiting . Something must be  different . Iy is not only me but hundreds of other seniors near us are in the same boat  , pun intended    . Well we waited this long ,so we wait a little longer ,we hope  .Meantime  the stock portfolio keeps going up with a nudge here & a nudge  there  . I just won'y buy the cruise line stocks  ,not because their debt is through the roof  but ,that pay no  dividends  now

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We don't  see how northern calif   got so many doses  & here we all sit looking & waiting . Something must be  different . Iy is not only me but hundreds of other seniors near us are in the same boat  , pun intended    . Well we waited this long ,so we wait a little longer ,we hope  .Meantime  the stock portfolio keeps going up with a nudge here & a nudge  there  . I just won'y buy the cruise line stocks  ,not because their debt is through the roof  but ,that pay no  dividends  now

Not sure where you are getting your numbers. San Diego County has administered 1.1 million doses as of yesterday, second in California, only to Los Angeles' 2.6 million doses. No other county is over 900K doses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Ah...the stats indicate over 75% of those over 75 have received at least one shot in California...almost 50% of those over 65. You haven't been left in the dark. You can wait for it to come to you, or you can go out and get it. My wife (70) is getting her second shot as I write this, and she has been a fierce pursuer of the shots. Have two brothers in law (75 and 73) and two sisters in law (72 and 65) in California, and they are also fully vaccinated. I am on 4 different "waste" call lists, as I am only 64.

 

The poorer communities are where the majority of cases are...

I have several friends and relatives in the San Diego area. I lived there for a number of years. They have not had any problems getting their shots.

 

Some people here have, in response to Mcrcruiser posted places that have had availability, yet it never seems available to them. Not exactly sure why they are having such a problem when others in the area seem to be getting theirs just fine.

 

From people I have talked with the availability in SD seems far better than in the less heavily populated areas such as the central coast area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure where you are getting your numbers. San Diego County has administered 1.1 million doses as of yesterday, second in California, only to Los Angeles' 2.6 million doses. No other county is over 900K doses.

The point I was making is the vaccine has been redirected to low income cities like San Bernardino , Chila Vista ,SD  . Way south from us .  This was in the news & it was done by order of Gov Newsom   .

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nocl said:

I have several friends and relatives in the San Diego area. I lived there for a number of years. They have not had any problems getting their shots.

 

Some people here have, in response to Mcrcruiser posted places that have had availability, yet it never seems available to them. Not exactly sure why they are having such a problem when others in the area seem to be getting theirs just fine.

 

From people I have talked with the availability in SD seems far better than in the less heavily populated areas such as the central coast area.

FWIW there has  never been a constant flow of vaccine near to us . We are not traveling all over creation at our ages  ,you younger people can scramble & if I were much younger even early 70s I would travel to get the vaccine but not at 82 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

FWIW there has  never been a constant flow of vaccine near to us . We are not traveling all over creation at our ages  ,you younger people can scramble & if I were much younger even early 70s I would travel to get the vaccine but not at 82 

The people I know live in Poway, Carlesbad, Encinitas, Oceanside, La Jolla And San Diego itself. All have gotten their shots no further away an down town San Diego, most closer.

 

That is not traveling all over creation.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, nocl said:

The people I know live in Poway, Carlesbad, Encinitas, Oceanside, La Jolla And San Diego itself. All have gotten their shots no further away an down town San Diego, most closer.

 

That is not traveling all over creation.

 

 

And you live here, right ?  How many people do you   know that live in Encinitas with over 66000 population  .you are saying what I have said is not the truth ,so I challenge you to tell all of us how many of our 66000 do you know here in Encinitas  & that is not counting the larger cities of Carlsbad or Oceanside  .To me things are easy to say but  where is the proof ??  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Most of us do not have issues with getting vaccinated at Hospital run vaccine centers which are offsite.

We have gotten our 2nd Moderna shots at UCSF Medical at the convention center with appointments and now hope everyone will get theirs soon.   If you sit and wait for the vaccine to come to you it may take a bit longer.

 

 

Edited by SFO PETER
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

To me things are easy to say but  where is the proof ??

This web site may be of some assistance --- https://www.vaccinespotter.org/CA/?zip=92024&radius=25

 

Nothing appears to be available within Encinitas itself, but if you're will to go 15-20 miles south, there is a Rite Aid - 4077 Governor Drive, San Diego, CA 92122 that shows having the vaccine and appointments available. You can always hire an Uber or Lyft driver if you can't make the drive yourself. It all boils down to how much inconvenience you're willing to accept to get the vaccine now. Otherwise, you can patiently wait for a location closer to become available.  

Edited by Lido - Lanai
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

This web site may be of some assistance --- https://www.vaccinespotter.org/CA/?zip=92024&radius=25

 

Nothing appears to be available within Encinitas itself, but if you're will to go 15-20 miles south, there is a Rite Aid - 4077 Governor Drive, San Diego, CA 92122 that shows having the vaccine and appointments available. You can always hire an Uber or Lyft driver if you can't make the drive yourself. It all boils down to how much inconvenience you're willing to accept to get the vaccine now. Otherwise, you can patiently wait for a location closer to become available.  

Simple answer  is we wait patiently . The points I am making is that not every thing is as reported  .FWIW if every one believed what is written or said  in every case it be very easy to manipulate said person  .Even so called facts at times are misleading  regardless of who prints them  .  Who reports the news any longer or is it do they make the news report  . Reporting the news in my early days was in a theatre news real which was states as the Eyes & Ears of the world  in film version .now the so called news is nothing but commentary which  is slanted to the audience  watching that channel, . Those  actors & actress report to their audiences what those  people want to hear & see . That way the advertisers get their audience & pay the   owners  who in turn pay the actors & actress their huge salaries  .Yo get any real truth one needs to dig into many areas of print & video 

Edited by mcrcruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites

A Texas update.  Starting next Monday, March 15,  those 50-64 can get vaccines.   So far frontline service workers, those with medical conditions, those over 65 and school employees are able to get vaccines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

And you live here, right ?  How many people do you   know that live in Encinitas with over 66000 population  .you are saying what I have said is not the truth ,so I challenge you to tell all of us how many of our 66000 do you know here in Encinitas  & that is not counting the larger cities of Carlsbad or Oceanside  .To me things are easy to say but  where is the proof ??  

 My wife also taught school in Del Mar for over 20 years. 

 

I was an senior exec of a biotech on La Jolla for 10 years.

 

Two of my wife's former co-workers live in Encinitas and are retired.  She keeps in pretty close contact with several of her co-workers.

 

So we know a far number of people in the area.  The ones eligible have been able to get vaccinated.  For some of them it took a couple of weeks, but they have been able to find sites. Some at Petco, some at Del Mar Race track.  Some at other places.  

 

Guess they are more flexible or spent more time searching and less time posting that they cannot find any.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nocl said:

I have several friends and relatives in the San Diego area. I lived there for a number of years. They have not had any problems getting their shots.

 

Some people here have, in response to Mcrcruiser posted places that have had availability, yet it never seems available to them. Not exactly sure why they are having such a problem when others in the area seem to be getting theirs just fine.

 

From people I have talked with the availability in SD seems far better than in the less heavily populated areas such as the central coast area.

 

Thank you nocl for summarizing the facts for mcrcruiser once again. MANY people here on Cruise Critic, including myself, have attempted to assist him/her with looking for appointments but for some reason he/she has not found the perfect appointment opportunity that meets their criteria.  I suggest that mccruiser enlist a trusted friend or senior care advocate to help get an appointment.  There is a quite a bit of availability in the San Diego area at this point.  Best Wishes.

 

~Nancy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have volunteered several times at the Del Mar Fairgrounds (Scripps) vaccine site - 5 miles south on Rt 101 from Encinitas. 500-1500 people get their shots there each day (depends on how many vaccines they receive). I am volunteering again there tomorrow and will continue to do so once or twice per week. The lines are typically quite short and the process is efficient. There was 1 day where the lines got very long and they modified the process the next day to help alleviate the situation. It's an easy drive up site.

 

While it does take some patience and time to get an appointment online, thousands of people have done it over the 2 months (actually over 1M so far). Many thousands more have driven down to Petco and waiting up to 5 hours to get their vaccine (including many of my friends in Carlsbad and Carmel Valley). To them, it was worth the hassle. 

 

I guess to others, it's not worth the bit of work to get the shot. It's easier to stay home and complain that you can't get the vaccine and the government is to blame.

 

BTW - I am not old enough to qualify yet. And Scripps doesn't guarantee to vaccinate all volunteers. At the end of the day, they might have 4-10 doses left. They give them to law enforcement volunteers first, and then by age. I'm hopeful it will happen for me soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nocl said:

 My wife also taught school in Del Mar for over 20 years. 

 

I was an senior exec of a biotech on La Jolla for 10 years.

 

Two of my wife's former co-workers live in Encinitas and are retired.  She keeps in pretty close contact with several of her co-workers.

 

So we know a far number of people in the area.  The ones eligible have been able to get vaccinated.  For some of them it took a couple of weeks, but they have been able to find sites. Some at Petco, some at Del Mar Race track.  Some at other places.  

 

Guess they are more flexible or spent more time searching and less time posting that they cannot find any.

Ask them how many times did they search for a appointment  ?

 

 Why is it NECESSARY for any one to go  way out of their way to get  a life saving vaccine ? Why  does the Federal & State governments have  better channels to deliver adequate  quantities of this life saving vaccine  .Why did the government say CVS & Walgreen pharmacies woill supply vaccine  & then when a person here checks there are no vaccines . A farce or a bad joke . 

 Simply said  ,we do not believe what any government agency tells us  . 

 what is the approval rating for congress . I do have that answer  ,it is their relatives  LOL 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...