Power for 5 teenage girls!!!

Yes, you read correctly... we are bringing five 18year old girls on Oasis of the Seas for a graduation gift (only 2 are ours). And YES... before you ask... I am definately getting the unlimited alcohol package for myself!!! Seriously though... I would like to know what type of power converter(s) I need to get so I can use the non-U.S. outlets in the cabin. Also, does anyone have advice on a usb power hub that can charge multiple iphones at the same time that is allowed on cruise ships? I appreciate any help you can provide and will also gladly accept prayers on my behalf!!! 

• Like 1

I bring a 4 USB port/1 plug international charger that plugs in.  Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Senli-Worldwide-International-Converter/dp/B085VW68SX/ref=sr_1_2?crid=353DAI0K2EF5R&dchild=1&keywords=urbo+international+power+adapter+charger+w%2F4+usb+3.0+ports&qid=1610833833&sprefix=4+port+usb+charger+internationa%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-2

I've not been stopped, and it doesn't have surge protection.  If you get 2, you can plug one into the European port (probably, never tried).  

Not sure why you'd need to use the 220 V outlet in the cabin. All of the outlets other than one are 110V U.S. outlets.

As for USB, we have one of these (it's the same one that you would find in the suites on Oasis)

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Not sure why you'd need to use the 220 V outlet in the cabin. All of the outlets other than one are 110V U.S. outlets.

As for USB, we have one of these (it's the same one that you would find in the suites on Oasis)

Capture.JPG

We take something very similar, never been questioned, but I do put it in my 'carry on' bag that I take onto the ship with me.  For our upcoming cruise, we have two of them since we have two cabins.  @Cruise_Couplejust make sure they each have their cords with them--and a spare.  I usually also order a mega page of the cords from Amazon as well, especially since we have both iPhone and Android phone users in our group, so we need to different types of cords.  

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

We take something very similar, never been questioned, but I do put it in my 'carry on' bag that I take onto the ship with me.  For our upcoming cruise, we have two of them since we have two cabins.  @Cruise_Couplejust make sure they each have their cords with them--and a spare.  I usually also order a mega page of the cords from Amazon as well, especially since we have both iPhone and Android phone users in our group, so we need to different types of cords.  

I generally don't use a lanyard, but I found one that doubles as a 36" USB C cord.😁

20210116_183116.thumb.jpg.e3973576faba5d07ec7ca56bab806779.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Cruise_Couple said:

Yes, you read correctly... we are bringing five 18year old girls on Oasis of the Seas for a graduation gift (only 2 are ours). And YES... before you ask... I am definately getting the unlimited alcohol package for myself!!! Seriously though... I would like to know what type of power converter(s) I need to get so I can use the non-U.S. outlets in the cabin. Also, does anyone have advice on a usb power hub that can charge multiple iphones at the same time that is allowed on cruise ships? I appreciate any help you can provide and will also gladly accept prayers on my behalf!!! 

If you are looking for just USB charging, there isn't much problem.  Most "pure" USB hubs (no 110v power outlet) do not have surge protection, so that is one hurdle overcome.  Also, most are "dual voltage", meaning you can plug them into either a 110v or 220v outlet with no converter.  You would just need an "adapter" that changes the plug configuration from the European "Schuko" or "type F" outlet to the US "type B" plug that your USB hub will have.

It is when you are looking at a USB hub that also has one or more "power outlets" (110v) for laptops or other appliances that you start to run into the surge protector problem.  Surge protectors are not needed on ships, and can cause fires when used on ships.

Now, as to finding a USB hub that has the power output to charge multiple iphones at the same time, that would be up to your research.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cruise_Couple said:

Yes it is. We already had to cancel 2 cruises due to Covid. GRRRR!

If it’s not to 2022 you have plenty of time. However if you’d like to have a nice charger now this one does a good job. 2 quick charging ports and 3x 2.4 amp ports that don’t downgrade when in use.  

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Desktop-Charging-Station-Compatible/dp/B07JC3LWZ9?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Basically when looking for a charger see what the max amp per port is.  A lot of the usb chargers will divide amps as you plug more devices in slowing down charging. 

A newer type of charger is using Gallium Nitride (GaN) technology and are coming out. A bit more expensive but have more power and fast charging capabilities.

Edited by Sail n Snow
  • Thanks 1