ATW 2023. Are they still going to be offering segments.?

no fuss travel

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Remember that sold out = 50% capacity. A year from now, and still a year prior to cruising, a lot of capacity may open up.

Have patience young Skywalker. Everything doesn’t have to be booked a year + in advance.

Sold out for 23 is 100% capacity not 50%

Jancruz1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Sold out for 23 is 100% capacity not 50%

Jancruz1

Jan, appreciate the info.

That makes perfect sense for 2023 cruises.

Do you have any idea when we might hear which Oceania ship might be the first to operate with passengers ?

Edited by Tranquility Base

4 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Jan, appreciate the info.

That makes perfect sense for 2023 cruises.

Do you have any idea when we might hear which Oceania ship might be the first to operate with passengers ?

I believe it depends on when O gets the go ahead to sail ..

Jancruz1

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2021 at 12:28 PM, jimdee3636 said:

The "second class guests" idea concerns me. Do the "full" ATW guests tend to treat "segmenters" in a condescending way? Do the crew members treat them differently?

I haven't done anything close to an ATW but from what I read of comments from past ATWers, the opposite was true.

Now, crew members who see passengers for 6 months may well treat them differently from the "others".  BUT ... I've never been treated badly by crew members on short cruises.  Why should it be different from longer cruisers?

It's clear to us that we will never take a 180 day cruise ... would be nice!

Mura

10 hours ago, Mura said:

I haven't done anything close to an ATW but from what I read of comments from past ATWers, the opposite was true.

Now, crew members who see passengers for 6 months may well treat them differently from the "others".  BUT ... I've never been treated badly by crew members on short cruises.  Why should it be different from longer cruisers?

It's clear to us that we will never take a 180 day cruise ... would be nice!

Mura

It interesting how different posters can interpret things. I think from posts that I have seen from segmenters that they definitely felt like there was a clique that they were left out of. As far as being second class, I doubt it. 

It's easy to see how a clique would exist in that culture. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ORV said:

It interesting how different posters can interpret things. I think from posts that I have seen from segmenters that they definitely felt like there was a clique that they were left out of. As far as being second class, I doubt it. 

It's easy to see how a clique would exist in that culture. 

I agree

No matter what people on the full cruise said  that they welcomed the segmenters  lets face it  those  on the full cruise bonded in many ways  as well as the special events for RTW cruisers  separate  them further

Yes they did pay more for the experience 

just like  having a segregated areas on the ships for the "ship within a ship"  ..others  still may feel left out 

Just human nature

JMO

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I agree

No matter what people on the full cruise said  that they welcomed the segmenters  lets face it  those  on the full cruise bonded in many ways  as well as the special events for RTW cruisers  separate  them further

Yes they did pay more for the experience 

just like  having a segregated areas on the ships for the "ship within a ship"  ..others  still may feel left out 

Just human nature

JMO

Personally if I didnt know so many people on the cruise and crew I wouldnt book a segment either..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

Re segmenters versus full voyage guest - We were on the 2016 voyage with about 230 doing the full voyage.  

Even with 180 days together there will be some you never meet.  Some eat late every day, some early, some eat in the dinning room every day while others eat upstairs, people have different evening routines, some do all O tours while others do all private tours so its not like one big happy family.

There were not a lot of staff that stayed the whole180 days.  All senior staff had change over with some leaving around mid cruise and coming back for the final segments.

We met several guest doing segments that had no idea they were joining a world cruise mid voyage.  I could see some being taken aback from what they would normally expect on a cruise.  Trivia teams were often set, a lot of people at events like mini golf already were regulars and knew each other and the cruise director staff,  and you would more often see small groups socializing like old friends than on a regular cruise.  If you were a shy person or easily offended by slight comments it could get to you but most people got along just fine.

Full voyage guest activities should not be an issue.  They had 4 nights out of 180 that both specialty dinning rooms were reserved and a couple times there was a meeting in the lounge during the day.  There were special off ship activities but that had no impact on others.  The biggest event that would impact others was a group photo around the pool on the last sea day - that was about 10 minutes.   

• Like 1

While the 'core' 180 day ATW is currently sold out, the extensions, before and aft, namely Miami to San Francisco, and San Francisco back to Miami (or on to New York) are available separately.   At least one person doing the former has joined our ATW roll call.

Whether one would consider those segments as part of the ATW may be debatable...and if Oceania markets them that way, why stop there?   Why not add on the previous cruise(s) or later ones as well?

I suppose that they might have, if they were one ways, but since they are round trips, it wouldn't make much sense.  For example, if instead of doing  round trips from New York to Bermuda when the Insignia reaches New York, they went right into the Iceland-Baltic cruise, they might have...