Is Visa Required to Cruise out of Australia

Happy Friday Everyone,

I have booked the 12-Night New Zealand Cruise for Feb 2022 on the Ovation of the Seas. The cruise leaves out of Sydney, Australia.

For those who have cruised out of Australia, as a US Citizen, do I have to obtain a visa? I have a passport but wondering do I need to also get a visa?

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, funnychick39 said:

Happy Friday Everyone,

I have booked the 12-Night New Zealand Cruise for Feb 2022 on the Ovation of the Seas. The cruise leaves out of Sydney, Australia.

For those who have cruised out of Australia, as a US Citizen, do I have to obtain a visa? I have a passport but wondering do I need to also get a visa?

Thank you.

Yes, you do need to get an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) Visa.  It can be done on line with immediate issuance, so it would be best to wait until the cruise is confirmed before obtaining.  I believe the cost  is $20 AUD.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, S1drfl said:

Yes, you do need to get an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) Visa.  It can be done on line with immediate issuance, so it would be best to wait until the cruise is confirmed before obtaining.  I believe the cost  is $20 AUD.

Agree.

Getting a visa for Australia is easy and simple online.

We've sailed out of Sydney a couple of times and absolutely loved it.

But yes, S1drfl is correct, it's best to wait until cruising resumes before applying for the visa.

4 hours ago, funnychick39 said:

Happy Friday Everyone,

Thank you.

US passport holders do not have to apply for a visa they can travel on a ETA also you will need a NZETA also as NZ is another country 😇 You cannot apply at the time being as boarders are closed. 😒

4 hours ago, funnychick39 said:

Happy Friday Everyone,

Thank you.

FYI, check with your airline because those flying to Australia can typically request the ETA visa on your behalf. United handled that on my last trip to Sydney and it was super easy (IIRC there wasn't a charge). 

• Like 1

The only passport holder that doesn’t need a permit is a New Zealander.

I don’t think it is actually a visa as we have a reciprocal visa waiver with the USA.      But you need a ETA.   Electronic travel authority 

Get it through The  official Australian government site it’s easy.

Theres a few agents that do it at extra cost and there’s  reports that they pass your information on .

I am an airline retiree and can tell you that the airline should take care of it for you when you purchase your ticket.  Depending on the airline, they may already include it in their price or charge you the fee which is around $20 per person.  As others have said, you will need an NZETA to enter New Zealand.  These are very easy and quick to obtain.  I received mine instantly.

• Like 2

@mugtech.....very true.  There are several countries that will not grant entry if you have a conviction.  I know it is very hard to enter Canada even if you had a DUI when you were younger.  There is a lot of legal red tape to jump through but it can be done in some cases.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, mugtech said:

It is my understanding that if one has ever been convicted of any crimes, then more paperwork is required as Australia must decide if they will allow such a criminal to enter.

1 hour ago, leo72976 said:

@mugtech.....very true.  There are several countries that will not grant entry if you have a conviction.  I know it is very hard to enter Canada even if you had a DUI when you were younger.  There is a lot of legal red tape to jump through but it can be done in some cases.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, mugtech said:

It is my understanding that if one has ever been convicted of any crimes, then more paperwork is required as Australia must decide if they will allow such a criminal to enter.

Back on the first cruise to Australia they took 788 people who were convicted criminals . 🙄

Australia  is a Penal Colony.  You need to study some history 😇

We sailed out of Sydney last year and stopped in New Zealand.   Got required documents online directly from each government.  Very easy.  Got mine before I finished applying for dh's.  Btw there are agencies who will offer to do it, but they charge an extra fee.  Not necessary. 

9 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Back on the first cruise to Australia they took 788 people who were convicted criminals . 🙄

Australia  is a Penal Colony.  You need to study some history 😇

Know the history, find their current policies ironic.  They don't want visitors who remind them of their founding fathers.