Anyone else watching the "In Search of Italy" show with Stanley Tucci?

cruisemom42

Airs on CNN on Sunday nights (new episodes), occasionally the previous week's episode will air at another time during the week as well.

The first three episodes have all been winners: Naples, Rome, Bologna. I think there are 3-4 more episodes coming. One of the restaurants featured in the Rome episode is a favorite of mine.

Anyone else watching to get their Italy fix?

• Like 4

I am as well.  Some friends and I are trying to recreate the zucchini pasta from the Naples show, we're going to have a zoom dinner party and compare how we did.

I could have lived without all of the offal discussion in the Rome episode, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I am as well.  Some friends and I are trying to recreate the zucchini pasta from the Naples show, we're going to have a zoom dinner party and compare how we did.

I could have lived without all of the offal discussion in the Rome episode, though.

I also want to try that zucchini recipe. Let us know your results! The fried artichokes in Rome had me salivating.

And I am also not a big fan of the "quinto quarto" although regarding the frittata with various chicken bits I might be tempted to try a bite.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying this series as well.  Try not to dismiss the meat conversation of the less fortunate in Italy.

We've had the same thing here in the USA since the early 1700's and now some these meat items are the main draws at a lot of restaurants here and in Italy.  Glad to see Armando al Pantheon was visited.

Looking forward to the Milan episode!

I've enjoyed every minute since I need a travel fix right now.  We're scheduled for a Mediterranean cruise on the Enchanted Princess in May--roundtrip out of Rome, so I was particularly interested in the Naples and Rome shows.  Have no idea whether international travel will be opened up so we can actually cruise, but Princess hasn't cancelled us yet so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Thankyou so much for this recommendation!  We watched our first one on Bologna last night and totally enjoyed it.  Really enjoyed the filming and  his mannerism and that the show is about Italy rather than about the  host. 

We spent several days in this area a few years ago and fell in love,  Parma, Cremona,  Marinello, driving a Ferrari, Modena,  Lambrusco, the Balsamic museum .... we ran out of time and never made it into Bologna even though we were staying within 10 miles.   It was such a Delight to revisit,  so much so that we decided we must go in person when things open also to Bologna.  

7341F22A-DF51-4225-A71B-77E93209B52C.jpeg

EBB813F5-A1CF-4EF0-BECF-709E3EDE30C3.jpeg

C337B36E-AF82-4D76-BAB6-F8664AD39927.jpeg

C7D5BF79-C3DD-463F-B13B-556E1011318D.jpeg

0F997D11-46C6-42E7-A96B-D9914AD8C104.jpeg

D72EE8E2-EBAF-4921-A8AA-00757D16F4B4.jpeg

6B2DF624-50F1-4D3A-B7B0-03315158D86E.jpeg

76FEAEE7-8679-4FE6-8514-57B9F1856EE7.jpeg

0E29A9B0-794F-4968-8A06-B3C11CA47F89.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 3

I watched the Bologna episode again tonight, then the new one on Lombardy-Milan. I like how Stanley has expanded beyond featuring just one city in these more recent episodes (although of course you can spend several programs just on Rome...)

Kudos to him for cooking on the show as well -- looks like he's got the chops. (And the cheese, lol.)

I also loved the segment on the Missoni family (I have long been a fan of their knitwear although I only am able to afford the occasional scarf.). And that he talked to Beppe Severgnini, who literally "wrote the book" about the typical Italian view on life: La Bella Figura (roughly translates to "cutting a good figure").  Although in fairness I have to say that while I liked the book a lot when first published, I don't think it has aged that well -- either that or a lot of Italians I've met have "evolved"...

Anyway -- next week:  Tuscany!!

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 9:43 AM, euro cruiser said:

Here is the recipe from Lo Scoglio:

http://sirenusejournal.com/en/recipes/lo-scoglio-spaghetti-zucchine-amore

Enjoy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks, but I fear it would be easier to just go there!  🤷‍♀️😂

Be brave! It isn't that hard. And you will be the only one in your zoom dinner party with the real thing. Bragging rights forever. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marazul said:

Interesting. That one differs slightly from the one published on CNN's website:

https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/recipe/pasta/spaghetti-alla-nerano

No mention of garlic in the Lo Scoglio recipe, for example.

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Interesting. That one differs slightly from the one published on CNN's website:

https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/recipe/pasta/spaghetti-alla-nerano

No mention of garlic in the Lo Scoglio recipe, for example.

We may all have to do a lot of cooking to check them out. 😉

Well, as the lady from Lo Scoglio sort of admitted to Tucci, sometimes things get left out "inadvertently."  The recipe in Le Sirenuse's newsletter comes from Lo Scoglio and the one from La Cucina is more general from the Campania region.  One uses parmesan; the other one provolone. One doesn't have garlic ("inadvertently?"); the other one does.  The common ingredients are fried zucchini and fresh basil.  So, as the Italians do, improvise on the basic technique and everyone's "mamma's is always better."

IMO, garlic can only improve it.  So, for me, that will go in mine.  But, I think I will stick with the parmesan instead of provolone.  

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Well I found several versions of the recipe, I kind of made up my own based on what I found it was fairly like the "real" one, but I used a sharp provolone.   I think I might have liked it better with pecorino.  My brother and my friend's husband cleaned their plates but I personally didn't think it lived up to the hype.  When the summer comes and I have fresh zucchini to work with I think I'll try again using the Lo Scoglio recipe with some garlic added for good measure.

• Like 1

Stumbled on this show by accident, fell in love with it in a heart beat.  Does anyone know the name of the restaurant on the Amalfi  coast that had the storm, for some reason the whole show didn’t record.

we are staying very near the AlPantheon restaurant in Rome,Alberto Del Senato Hotel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, h20cruzer said:

Stumbled on this show by accident, fell in love with it in a heart beat.  Does anyone know the name of the restaurant on the Amalfi  coast that had the storm, for some reason the whole show didn’t record.

we are staying very near the AlPantheon restaurant in Rome,Alberto Del Senato Hotel.

The restaurant on Amalfi Coast is Lo Scoglio:

https://fathomaway.com/eating-lo-scoglio-amalfi-coast/

Definitely eat at Armando al Pantheon, but make a reservation before you go. Each time I've gone, the place (which only has about 12 tables) is fully booked each night. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed the Tuscany one,  who knew those were wine doors?   I think I would prefer to eat at the more local festival.   Agree with Stanley on the Tuscan bread, unless it’s in Bruschetta.  

The show conjures so many great memories.   We ate in a restaurant in Florence where Michelangelo had eaten, hard to believe these places are in business for centuries and DD was so impressed when they deboned her trout table side.  DS tried the Amazing beef,   And DH had the best pasta he had eaten.  All our best food memories are in Italy or Japan.  

We can’t wait for the one on Sicily! 

On 3/14/2021 at 4:40 PM, h20cruzer said:

The hotel/restaurant Lo Scoglio is at the tip of the Amalfi peninsula. Lo Scoglio means "the rock."

https://www.hotelloscoglio.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo+Scoglio/@40.6473465,14.354943,31910m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!3m7!1s0x133b9c5fd9de578b:0xc13128981d80862a!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d40.583079!4d14.355629?hl=en

Edited by marazul