3 cruises cancelled

OHHnoo10

36 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

round Britain cruises

I think that is a bit of a misnomer. Three days into the North Sea, or Atlantic, and then back, is not really a round Britain cruise!

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think that is a bit of a misnomer. Three days into the North Sea, or Atlantic, and then back, is not really a round Britain cruise!

I have done many 12 nt Round Britain cruises with Princess and if you take out the usual 7 ports of call I am sure, even though I am no Captain, you could perhaps sail non stop round Britain on 7nt cruise.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

I have done many 12 nt Round Britain cruises with Princess and if you take out the usual 7 ports of call I am sure, even though I am no Captain, you could perhaps sail non stop round Britain on 7nt cruise.

I'm sure you could, but from a fuel efficiency point of view, I guess they'd rather chug around in circles at 10 knots. 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure you could, but from a fuel efficiency point of view, I guess they'd rather chug around in circles at 10 knots. 

You dont go at great speed when you do Guernsey, Cobh, Dublin, Belfast and Greenock on the first half of a 12 nt cruise so I am sure it could be done in a fuel efficient way and also give the ships a good run and able to "stretch their legs".

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

OK - the reason I asked is that quite a few of us joined the bargain Princess cruise to the Med on Oct 22nd.

Reason we are going on p&o its fcc from oceana year ago, so makes the holiday really affordable 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be fair P&O never said round Britain, they said short UK holidays, sailing around UK coastal waters.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

You dont go at great speed when you do Guernsey, Cobh, Dublin, Belfast and Greenock on the first half of a 12 nt cruise so I am sure it could be done in a fuel efficient way and also give the ships a good run and able to "stretch their legs".

I think I prefer to stretch mine around the southern UK waters which should be much warmer,  rather than  going back even further north than Yorkshire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think I prefer to stretch mine around the southern UK waters which should be much warmer,  rather than  going back even further north than Yorkshire.

You could of course just hire a narrow boat on the Kennet & Avon canal, and have the same cruise feeling, but also get off wherever you like. Devizes is nice!   

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You could of course just hire a narrow boat on the Kennet & Avon canal, and have the same cruise feeling, but also get off wherever you like. Devizes is nice!   

I don't think narrow boats on canals and wheelchairs are likely to be all that compatible.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't think narrow boats on canals and wheelchairs are likely to be all that compatible.

Actually on our canal travels we have seen wheelchair compatible boats,  but they are not that common. 

On 3/4/2021 at 9:18 PM, OHHnoo10 said:

So we have just had our 3rd cruise cancelled, is there really a chance that the Mediterranean cruises in September will go ahead or is it likely the cancellations will continue. I know no one has a crystal ball but I live in hope.

As others have said, none of us know for certain as there are a lot of factors that need to come together. However, I think that the commencement of the summer ‘cruises to nowhere’ improve the chances considerably. If cruise lines can demonstrate that very large numbers of passengers and crew can be up close and personal without any incidents then that’s a very compelling argument in their favour.

I have always felt that cruises of a week or less can be misleading, as the virus takes longer than that to develop into symptoms, so an outbreak could occur but people are unaware of the fact until after they have disembarked. However, with almost everyone in the UK being vaccinated by the time that these summer cruises depart, this problem should have pretty much gone away. 

So, if the summer cruises to nowhere pass without incident, cruise lines find a way to vaccinate all of their crew, European countries catch up with us with their vaccinating programmes and are happy to accept cruise ships with thousands of people all descending on somewhere at the same time, then there is no reason why a Med cruise in September shouldn’t go ahead. Although this sounds quite a demanding list I think it could all be achieved, although I would think that itineraries are highly likely to be altered as it may be a step too far in September for a cruise ship to disgorge thousands of overseas passengers into small towns, so I would expect revised itineraries to be mostly the larger destinations. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Wasn't there a young lady from Devizes ? 🤔

Edited by zap99

40 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As others have said, none of us know for certain as there are a lot of factors that need to come together. However, I think that the commencement of the summer ‘cruises to nowhere’ improve the chances considerably. If cruise lines can demonstrate that very large numbers of passengers and crew can be up close and personal without any incidents then that’s a very compelling argument in their favour.

I have always felt that cruises of a week or less can be misleading, as the virus takes longer than that to develop into symptoms, so an outbreak could occur but people are unaware of the fact until after they have disembarked. However, with almost everyone in the UK being vaccinated by the time that these summer cruises depart, this problem should have pretty much gone away. 

So, if the summer cruises to nowhere pass without incident, cruise lines find a way to vaccinate all of their crew, European countries catch up with us with their vaccinating programmes and are happy to accept cruise ships with thousands of people all descending on somewhere at the same time, then there is no reason why a Med cruise in September shouldn’t go ahead. Although this sounds quite a demanding list I think it could all be achieved, although I would think that itineraries are highly likely to be altered as it may be a step too far in September for a cruise ship to disgorge thousands of overseas passengers into small towns, so I would expect revised itineraries to be mostly the larger destinations. 

Perhaps not.🤔

11 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

While reading this thread a thought popped into my head. How will social distancing work when serving meals and drinks? Do we have to get up and step back a bit?🤣

Same as in restaurants. We will all be Jabbed by then. All Change. Why should the MDR be any different to the local steak house.

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Our latest cancelled cruise for July was our 5th so far with a total of 68 days, if you count our last Septembers B2B as 2 cruises.

Just to add interest to this thread how many cruises and days has everyone else lost?

Only 21 lost for us, but another 55 lost on overseas holidays in General. In the interests of balance and statistical accuracy we should subtract from the total the 28 days we have had/booked in the UK which we probably wouldn't have taken.

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Our latest cancelled cruise for July was our 5th so far with a total of 68 days, if you count our last Septembers B2B as 2 cruises.

Just to add interest to this thread how many cruises and days has everyone else lost?

Hi we’ve lost 5 cruises in 2020 total 95 days and this year 3 cancelled total 42 days expecting our June transatlantic 14 days and our B2B 24 days in July will also be cancelled really didn’t foresee this pandemic lasting as long.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Same as in restaurants. We will all be Jabbed by then. All Change. Why should the MDR be any different to the local steak house.

It was meant tongue in cheek, just an image popped in my head.

10 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

We have had 7 cruises and 1 land based holiday cancelled. Just waiting for Cunard to cancel the 8th but can’t complain we are still alive, just.

We are waiting for Cunard to cancel our June and July cruises why don’t they just get on with it because they know that they are not going to happen 

• Like 1

We were quite lucky, as we had decided that we weren’t going to do much in the way of cruising in 2020, so were less affected by cancellations than we might otherwise have been.

However, we have still lost three cruises or 35 nights.

March 2020 Fred Olsen Boudicca 18 nights

March 2021 Iona 14 nights. (In a different world, we’d have been on the road right now to Southampton)

May 2021 CMV Amy Johnson 3 nights (went bust)

our remaining 2 cruises have already been rescheduled to 2022

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We were quite lucky, as we had decided that we weren’t going to do much in the way of cruising in 2020, so were less affected by cancellations than we might otherwise have been.

However, we have still lost three cruises or 35 nights.

March 2020 Fred Olsen Boudicca 18 nights

March 2021 Iona 14 nights. (In a different world, we’d have been on the road right now to Southampton)

May 2021 CMV Amy Johnson 3 nights (went bust)

our remaining 2 cruises have already been rescheduled to 2022

Hi we are the opposite we had some really bad news in 2019 so decided that 2020 was going to be our retirement year and we were going to book as many cruises as we could fit in never for one moment expecting a pandemic but I suppose we are still lucky that we are still alive 

• Like 2