Back to Back advice please.

Adawn47

Having had our fjords cruise cancelled, I was browsing and found a 12 night one that sails as our Med cruise returns on October 28th, not as port intensive as the cancelled one, but after the last year we've just had an extra 12 nights cruising the fjords sounded quite pleasant. Never having done a B2B before some advice would be welcome.

Firstly and more importantly, cabin allocation. As we booked saver on the first cruise and the cabin has not yet been allocated, if we were to book the follow-on cruise to the fjords also saver, would the cabin be allocated for the total 2 cruises or would we be given two different cabins? Also, if we did have to move cabins, when and how difficult is it? 

Can we stay on board when back in Southampton or do we have to disembark?

Lastly (I think) How do you get the new cruise card, and are the statements produced for each separate cruise or as a total?

As you can tell, I like to be well prepared in advance.😊

We've done B2B on Saver type fares before.  Had to move cabins each time, but it's very easy.

They simply remove all the hangers from the cupboards, put them on a rail and replace them in the order you left them in your new cabin.  Same goes with drawers, the staff simply swap them over.  The only things you need to pack up are toiletries, stuff from the same safe and any loose items you might have.  

On turnaround day at Soton you can stay on board or get off, your choice.  Double check breakfast times in Horizon though, we've seen people miss breakfast because sometime timings are different in Soton.  Bear in mind that if you stay on board, most services are shut between end of breakfast and start of lunch in the buffet.  So apart from everyone milling about to get off, pretty quiet.  Nice in it's own right though.

When we've done B2B we've got off and used the crew shuttle bus to get into town.  I'm not sure whether they still allow this.  Quite handy though, and  you leave and return to the ship using the crew exit/entrance, bypassing departing and embarking pax.

We collected our new cruise cards from reception on the final evening of the first cruise.  I think we had a letter reminding us to do this on the last day.  On one occasion though, reception didn't activate our cards correctly.  When we got back on in Soton, the cards didn't register us correctly.  We got bing bonged by name on the tannoy at muster drill, as they didn't whether we were on board!  Another couple were also bing bonged, and I remember that there was another couple collecting new cruise cards at the reception desk when we there.  Anyway, we had go to report to a crew member at the front of the theatre.  It was quite funny, they took us into the Headliners dressing room to check our cards whilst the muster carried on.

What I would suggest, unless you have already done so, is speak with PandO and ensure that your cruises are linked as B2B on their systems.  Although you are on different fare types, it will help the ship identify that you are B2B, and ease the arranging of new cruise cards, and may even help in being able to keep the same cabin, if it hasn't been allocated to someone eles.

We've enjoyed the B2B experience and look to book that if itineries etc are suitable.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks  for your advice SoA it's very helpful and informative. Not as complicated and stressful as I thought it might be. The staff dealing with the clothes is a bonus as that was my main concern. Now just to wait and see how and when cruise travel will resume and keep an eye on the price. I'm vey tempted.

Avril

• Like 3

Hi Avril we done a few B2B cruises on saver fares and have been lucky enough to be allocated the same cabin. I really love doing them because I love to stay onboard when everyone else is getting off we usually pop into Southampton using the crew shuttle bus to replenish our wine stack. To get our new cruise card we went to reception desk and they issued the new one explaining that if we wanted to disembark use the old card then the new one to embark really easy. We always check to see if we like the itineraries and have no hesitation in booking B2B. Lindy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Lindy, another reassuring post. On another thread they are discussing P&O not doing B2B's now, but I don't know if they mean the 7 day British no port cruises ( I shall ask), so I tried to contact P&O by phone and both numbers say the lines are closed!!

Avril

• Like 1

Avril, if you are considering back to back cruises it might be worth asking if it is possible and if so how much would it cost if you booked both cruises select fare.It may not be possible as you have already booked one saver fare  but if both cruises are select fare you get 10% discount off both in addition to extra OBC or car parking/coach etc which you don't get with Saver Fare You also can choose your cabin(in which case you could book the same one for both cruises) and dining preferences

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ann141 said:

Avril, if you are considering back to back cruises it might be worth asking if it is possible and if so how much would it cost if you booked both cruises select fare.It may not be possible as you have already booked one saver fare  but if both cruises are select fare you get 10% discount off both in addition to extra OBC or car parking/coach etc which you don't get with Saver Fare You also can choose your cabin(in which case you could book the same one for both cruises) and dining preferences

We have booked select, but not often, it depends on which is better value at the time. We don't mind not choosing where the cabin is situated, we've been allocated all decks and all areas, we just need a balcony, and have always had 2nd sitting, which we want, as it's the least popular. The coach travel is not important either, as the nearest pick-up point is Sheffield, which would be a real haul for us + luggage. We use Eavesway which picks up in Barnsley, a 5 minute taxi ride away. So all in all saver works best for us, and we can choose a more expensive and longer cruise too.

Thanks for the advice on trying for a discount, I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to call P&O today and enquire about adding the fjords cruise to the Med one, We're still unsure how things will work out re covid, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed🤞

Avril

• Like 6

I really hope you will make it. Cruising this days is one of those luxuries that we cant aford unfortunatly. I am sure that it will be alright. Covid will be long gone by the time we get on board

Hi Avril. We have only done one B2B but enjoyed the experience. It was lovely on the turnaround day to just sit and have a leisurely breakfast without the stress of disembarkation / getting home etc. We had booked Select so had the same cabin for both cruises, but I have heard many people say that the process for moving cabins is exactly as Son of Anarchy described - stress free. We spent a few hours in the morning reading in the Crows Nest whilst groups of people toured the ship on guided tours (doubt they do those now) and looking over the side at the turnaround process in full flight.  When everyone was off the ship I wandered down to reception to effectively ‘disembark’ the first cruise and ‘embark’ the second, but all it entailed was the issuing of new cruise cards. We didn’t leave the ship. At around midday we wandered to the Glass House and had a nice leisurely lunch. We enjoyed the feeling of almost having the ship to ourselves for a few hours! I’m sure that you will enjoy it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We have booked select, but not often, it depends on which is better value at the time. We don't mind not choosing where the cabin is situated, we've been allocated all decks and all areas, we just need a balcony, and have always had 2nd sitting, which we want, as it's the least popular. The coach travel is not important either, as the nearest pick-up point is Sheffield, which would be a real haul for us + luggage. We use Eavesway which picks up in Barnsley, a 5 minute taxi ride away. So all in all saver works best for us, and we can choose a more expensive and longer cruise too.

Thanks for the advice on trying for a discount, I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to call P&O today and enquire about adding the fjords cruise to the Med one, We're still unsure how things will work out re covid, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed🤞

Avril, act dumb when you ring them and ask for the 10% discount off the saver fare, they can only say no, but if you ask nicely you might get it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi....Avril has me considering extending our already booked cruise for April 2022...we could tag on a 4 night cruise.

Couple of questions....we have booked select fare ....coach transfer....if we add on the 4 nighter would we get the 10% off both cruises or have you to actually book them together at the same time ?

As for coach transfer could we change that to OBC as we wouldn't be using the return coach ?

5 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....Avril has me considering extending our already booked cruise for April 2022...we could tag on a 4 night cruise.

Couple of questions....we have booked select fare ....coach transfer....if we add on the 4 nighter would we get the 10% off both cruises or have you to actually book them together at the same time ?

As for coach transfer could we change that to OBC as we wouldn't be using the return coach ?

There is a limit on this and I think 4 day cruises would not qualify, but checkout the FAC  page on the website,

24 minutes ago, janny444 said:

It used to be that you needed a minimum of 6 nights to qualify for the 10% discount. I would ring P&O about other benefits as the rules do change and sometimes they will offer OBC in lieu of another benefit.

26 minutes ago, janny444 said:

I don't think you have to book both cruises at the same time and you can change coach for OBC but as John says I think they have to be cruises of 5 nights or more but perhaps check on P and O website

Mmmmm....just had a quick look....why is relevant answers to questions " buried" so deeply that you can't find anything. Try to word question in the search box but comes up with everything except what I actually need to know...I am obviously no good with techo or correct wording of questions....probably easier to phone them....maybe

14 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Mmmmm....just had a quick look....why is relevant answers to questions " buried" so deeply that you can't find anything. Try to word question in the search box but comes up with everything except what I actually need to know...I am obviously no good with techo or correct wording of questions....probably easier to phone them....maybe

It used to be much better, but that was a few years ago before they got rid of their old IT  staff.

3 hours ago, janny444 said:

I've just finished a 1hr 10min call with a lovely helpful lady at P&O. Armed with  everyone's valuable advice I've managed to book the B2B I wanted. She booked us a select fare with no cabin change, OBC and 10% discount. I was surprised when she suggested an upgrade for the saver fare booked in 2019 because of the huge price increase, but she said she would use the same select price as it was at the time of the original booking. So the bottom line is, the total cost of the B2B is £128 dearer than the saver fare but with £350 OBC. I'm an exceedingly happy bunny, just hope it's not cancelled😉

So janny, I think you would be better giving them a call, she was very helpful and did the best she could for me. Regarding coach transfer, I would assume that P&O give the date you will need a pickup to the ship and the one for a return journey. 

Avril

• Like 10

Wow Avril that sounds fantastic I’m sure you will love doing B2B cruises I always check if it would be an option for us when we’re considering bookings, what are the itineraries  and which ship are you on  ? Great that you were able to book the same cabin, we’ve just had a short drive to North Shields to see the Azura and it looks fab but very quiet couldn’t see any crew activity 🤗

2 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Wow Avril that sounds fantastic I’m sure you will love doing B2B cruises I always check if it would be an option for us when we’re considering bookings, what are the itineraries  and which ship are you on  ? Great that you were able to book the same cabin, we’ve just had a short drive to North Shields to see the Azura and it looks fab but very quiet couldn’t see any crew activity 🤗

We're on Arcadia. The 19 night Med cruise sails October 9th, with calls at Cadiz, Cartagena, Valencia, Barcelona, Monaco, Elba, Civitavecchia, Corsica, Gibralter, Lisbon and back to Southampton then to the Fjords.   Andalsnes, cruise Romsdalsfjord, Tromso, Narvik, Stavanger and back to Southampton on November 9th. I'm trying not to get too excited but we so need a restful break as our last cruise was the end of October 2019.

Avril

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I've just finished a 1hr 10min call with a lovely helpful lady at P&O. Armed with  everyone's valuable advice I've managed to book the B2B I wanted. She booked us a select fare with no cabin change, OBC and 10% discount. I was surprised when she suggested an upgrade for the saver fare booked in 2019 because of the huge price increase, but she said she would use the same select price as it was at the time of the original booking. So the bottom line is, the total cost of the B2B is £128 dearer than the saver fare but with £350 OBC. I'm an exceedingly happy bunny, just hope it's not cancelled😉

So janny, I think you would be better giving them a call, she was very helpful and did the best she could for me. Regarding coach transfer, I would assume that P&O give the date you will need a pickup to the ship and the one for a return journey. 

Avril

Well done Avril. Sounds like a great result. People often knock the P&O call centre staff but if you get a good one they can be brilliant. We have used the same one for years and she knows me as soon as I call and she’s done us a number of favours over the years and has always got us our first choice cabins. I’d forgotten about the rule that any changes to a booking are done at the prices that were applicable when you booked. If you have booked early then that can be a real winner, as you have discovered. Very wise to convert to a Select booking. When you factor in the extra OBC, guaranteed dining choice and choice of a good cabin, the extra is often negligible and certainly worth it. How nice to have that to look forward to. They both sound like great itineraries. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi Avril I’m excited for you sounds fantastic, we’ve book the Arcadia for October 22 our first time on her, it’s great to have something to look forward to and to keep us all positive 🤗

She's a lovely ship, you will like her. Our first ever cruise 11 years ago was Arcadia and we loved every minute.

Avril

• Like 1