Royal & Celebrity to start North America sailings in June

OneParticularHarbour 71

2 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Maybe this will put pressure on the CDC.  Hopefully all the people associated with the cruise industry in South Florida are making their voices heard to their elected officials.

I get that we all want to return to normal and get back to cruising but should "putting pressure on the CDC" really be a priority? Their role is to control and prevent disease, hence their name... "Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." More than 540,000 people have died in the US, including over 32,000 in Florida alone.

Instead of putting pressure on the CDC maybe we should think about supporting the CDC so we can finish the vaccination process and enjoy cruising again.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm incredibly hopeful that my cruise this fall on the MSC Meraviglia from Miami actually sails with me onboard. With that said, I'm more worried about there being an outbreak that sets the cruise industry back if they jump the gun by cruising too early.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the reason people are picking on the CDC is that they hold all the cards at this point.

You are absolutely right about the CDC's mission, but the CDC is (as far as I'm aware) the only sticking point in cruising resuming from the US. The CDC is the one that put in place the No Sail Order last year, updating it several times. The industry is effectively in limbo because of that. What agency or department do you think *is* responsible for ships not sailing, if it's not the CDC?

It's not the State Department, I can tell you that. I'd genuinely be interested in knowing if you have reason to believe that some other agency than the CDC is responsible for there being effectively no cruising from major US ports in the last year.

54 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

I get that we all want to return to normal and get back to cruising but should "putting pressure on the CDC" really be a priority? Their role is to control and prevent disease, hence their name... "Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." More than 540,000 people have died in the US, including over 32,000 in Florida alone.

Instead of putting pressure on the CDC maybe we should think about supporting the CDC so we can finish the vaccination process and enjoy cruising again.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm incredibly hopeful that my cruise this fall on the MSC Meraviglia from Miami actually sails with me onboard. With that said, I'm more worried about there being an outbreak that sets the cruise industry back if they jump the gun by cruising too early.

Totally agree with you! Put pressure on those who think this is a hoax and those who will not get vaccinated.

If they have medical reason, fully understand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I think the reason people are picking on the CDC is that they hold all the cards at this point.

You are absolutely right about the CDC's mission, but the CDC is (as far as I'm aware) the only sticking point in cruising resuming from the US. The CDC is the one that put in place the No Sail Order last year, updating it several times. The industry is effectively in limbo because of that. What agency or department do you think *is* responsible for ships not sailing, if it's not the CDC?

It's not the State Department, I can tell you that. I'd genuinely be interested in knowing if you have reason to believe that some other agency than the CDC is responsible for there being effectively no cruising from major US ports in the last year.

I do think it's the CDC and I don't think they're wrong to have instituted the "No Sail Order." Other countries have done the same and I'd like to think that the CDC is considering lifting the order as we get more of the US population vaccinated. Last I heard we were at 12% being completely vaccinated. We're likely not going to see anywhere near 100% vaccination for several reasons (that I won't pollute CC Forums with) but as that number climbs the likelihood of US sailing will increase.

The CDC isn't the only government agency that has stopped countries from cruising worldwide (i.e. Canada, Australia). Similar agencies around the world know that cruise ships are floating cities with closed "eco-systems" that any disease, Covid or otherwise, can quickly spread through (including the ports-of-call). The CDC, and other disease control/prevention agencies around the world are there to protect people's lives, not their vacations plans.  

• Like 1

The announcement is surely good news.  But, there are still lots of questions in my mind about how this will work.  

I have said this before on CC and I am saying it again.  If I have to wear a face mask--as one CC poster called it a "face diaper"--I am not booking a cruise.  This statement is not a political statement.  It is a fact that wearing a mask is very difficult for me to do because of my own physical and anatomical limitations.   

Looks like this move may be having the desired effect:

https://www.cruisehive.com/miami-dade-mayor-requests-meeting-with-cdc-on-resuming-cruises/48373

While cruise lines start to give up on the CDC on resuming operations out of the U.S., Miami-Dade mayor Daniella Levine Cava is not. The mayor is eager to resume cruises again and has sent a letter to CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky.

• Like 1

Cities like Miami can think they're ready for cruising to resume but events like this give me a lot of doubt about the feasibility.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/20/us/miami-beach-crowds-clevelander-covid/index.html

Why would the CDC think it was safe to have tens of thousands of travelers visit cities in Florida to then hop on board floating cities with destinations throughout the Caribbean? They might as well just load up the ships with plague rats and aim them at Nassau. 

15 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

Cities like Miami can think they're ready for cruising to resume but events like this give me a lot of doubt about the feasibility.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/20/us/miami-beach-crowds-clevelander-covid/index.html

Why would the CDC think it was safe to have tens of thousands of travelers visit cities in Florida to then hop on board floating cities with destinations throughout the Caribbean? They might as well just load up the ships with plague rats and aim them at Nassau. 

Then I would suggest you not cruise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beaver1975 said:

Then I would suggest you not cruise.

Lol, are you really saying that you think Miami is ready when the Mayor just declared a state of emergency, issued a curfew and the police are clashing with crowds to get them to disperse less than seven miles from Miami cruise terminal?

If people in Florida worked half as hard to stop the spread and get vaccinated as they do complaining about the pandemic and wanting to return to normal they'd be a lot closer to that goal.

4 hours ago, optimusprime82 said:

If people in Florida worked half as hard to stop the spread

Is it the citizens of Miami, Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, etc. that are responsible for the irresponsible behavior of the Spring Breakers that I see on the web cams and the newscasts?  

50 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Is it the citizens of Miami, Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, etc. that are responsible for the irresponsible behavior of the Spring Breakers that I see on the web cams and the newscasts?  

Clutching at straws comes to mind with regards to cruises out of Miami starting anytime soon.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Knowing some people that live in Miami it sounds like it's a combination of out-of-towners for Spring Break mixed in with locals also wanting to party. There are a lot of schools in Florida and many of them have reputations for partying. I doubt there's a lot of senior citizens heading to South Beach this weekend to party but there are definitely a lot of 18-35 year old citizens that want to party because they think that Covid-19 can't/won't get them.

10 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

there are definitely a lot of 18-35 year old citizens that want to party because they think that Covid-19 can't/won't get them.

And then, it does.  And it impacts the lives of the rest of us as well as them.  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, optimusprime82 said:

Lol, are you really saying that you think Miami is ready when the Mayor just declared a state of emergency, issued a curfew and the police are clashing with crowds to get them to disperse less than seven miles from Miami cruise terminal?

If people in Florida worked half as hard to stop the spread and get vaccinated as they do complaining about the pandemic and wanting to return to normal they'd be a lot closer to that goal.

Firstly, the Miami Beach issue is a Spring Break issue involving a lot of people from outside of Florida.

Secondly, Floridas numbers are on the lower end of the infection scales and we have not been locked down for months.  Our Governor trusts that we are adults and act accordingly and it has worked.

Thirdly,  You seem to be incredibly fearful of catching a virus that you have to be tested for to find out you have it and once you get it it is 99.97% survivable.  Now, if you have certain comorbidities that make you susceptible to not surviving the virus then by all means stay away from large gatherings and wear a mask in public.  But, please stop spreading your sky is falling rhetoric and demanding that the rest of the world be locked down and not get back to a normal life.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Beaver1975 said:

Firstly, the Miami Beach issue is a Spring Break issue involving a lot of people from outside of Florida.

Secondly, Floridas numbers are on the lower end of the infection scales and we have not been locked down for months.  Our Governor trusts that we are adults and act accordingly and it has worked.

Thirdly,  You seem to be incredibly fearful of catching a virus that you have to be tested for to find out you have it and once you get it it is 99.97% survivable.  Now, if you have certain comorbidities that make you susceptible to not surviving the virus then by all means stay away from large gatherings and wear a mask in public.  But, please stop spreading your sky is falling rhetoric and demanding that the rest of the world be locked down and not get back to a normal life.

Please provide any evidence that the spring break issue is because of people coming in from outside of Florida. I'll wait as you prove that students from University of Miami, Central Florida, FIU, Boward, Valencia, UF, FSU or any of the other dozens of Florida colleges that might attract spring breakers aren't down there.

542,000 dead in the US alone, 32,741 dead in Florida alone. DeSantis' strategy hasn't worked, it continues to not work. Telling yourself that it has worked is just a lie that you want to believe like a kid that won't give up on believing in Santa Claus.

Um, most diseases you have to be tested for so please don't act like that is a disqualification from it being dangerous. You continuing to focus on the survival rate instead of the amount that have died is a callous way to try and cover up the victims of Covid. The amount of people that have died in Florda alone is enough to fill the MSC Divina more than nine times, let that sink in for a moment. Nine Divinas, filled with 3,502 passengers each, sailing around the Caribbean filled with dead bodies despite the 99.97% survival rate (cite that source please) that you keep clinging to.

Please stop claiming the this pandemic is over just because you're selfish and want to go on a cruise. 

Edited by optimusprime82
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, optimusprime82 said:

Please provide any evidence that the spring break issue is because of people coming in from outside of Florida.

A news report in the Dayton Daily News of either Sunday or Monday reported that the majority of those arrested in Miami Beach were not college students and were people from out of state.  I deduce these must be some young adults whose brains--which were supposed to be totally formed by their age of 25--have not reached that development of maturation.  Thus, their common sense is lacking and they care not about the rest of "We, the People".  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A news report in the Dayton Daily News of either Sunday or Monday reported that the majority of those arrested in Miami Beach were not college students and were people from out of state.  I deduce these must be some young adults whose brains--which were supposed to be totally formed by their age of 25--have not reached that development of maturation.  Thus, their common sense is lacking and they care not about the rest of "We, the People".  

I stand corrected with some of that information then. From what I'm seeing now, of the over 1,000 arrests, more than half were from out-of-state. I didn't see any information about the ages of those arrested. With that information in hand, if slightly less than half were Florida residents there's still going to be some college age people down there too. Regardless of the age and state of residence of those partying is that really going to improve the amount of Covid cases in the Miami area over the next few weeks? I guess that depends on who you talk to since there's a few on here that seem to think that this is just a bunch of hysteria whipped up to kill the cruise industry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneParticularHarbour 71 said:

Royal will also be sailing out of Bermuda this summer:

Summer 2021 Heats Up With New Royal Caribbean Cruises From Bermuda (yahoo.com)

Like their other sailings, adults must be fully vaccinated.

Wow!  I get to pay for flights to and from Bermuda in order to be able to sail to the Bahamas?  I can't wait to make a booking.  NOT!

• Haha 2