American Express Platinum wine tasting event

travelbug2225

Can someone please tell me more about Amex platinum wine tasting event?  I understand that you will get premium wine tasting for 2 and a bottle of wine from a tasting.  I not drink alcohol. Will they let you do 2 different wine tasting event instead of 2 people at the same event? Are the tasting event offer the same or different wine on the same cruise?  What is the premium wine tasting usually cost?   We are looking to book transatlantic in 2023 and looking for something to do on the sea day. 

The tastings vary in costs depending upon the type and quality of wines tasted and whether they are served with paired nibbles.

The number of events varies based on length of cruise. On your TA you will probably have 2-3 ( historically) to choose from.

I forget on the original question of 2 or 1 being allowed. I thought it was one event for two people, but that may have changed. Inquire with your Butler or at the front desk.

When we did the Amex Platinum wine tasting on Riviera my husband and I attended together.  Not sure, but I think it  was the only wine tasting event on that cruise.  It was fun and very informative.  Our sommelier was incredibly knowledgeable.  We sampled about 6 wines - mostly reds.  They were served with various cheeses to compliment the wines.  We were each given a bottle of wine of our choice to take with us,  I’m not sure how this would work out for a non-wine drinker - if one person could attend two events.

This was free for us compliments of our Amex Platinum card.

AMEX Platinum sends an invitation to those eligible to attend.  They do one event per cruise.  Even if you don't attend, they will give you a list to chose from for your free bottle.  Get the bottle and give it away if you chose not to drink it.

34 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Do you have to book  the cruise thru Amex to get this invitation?  This cruise was thru USAA.

You don’t have to book thru Amex. You can have your travel agent check if your booking is qualify for Amex cruise privilege benefits. From my experience checking with different travel agents if travel agent offer prepaid gratuity you will not qualify for benefit (unless prepaid gratuity come from Oceania) But if travel agent offer OBC you will get benefit.  Amex also give you $300 OBC on top of wine tasting and a bottle of wine 

We pay for our cruise swith our AMEX platinum but did not book with AMEX travel.  Our TA then contacts AMEX and they apply the AMEX cruise privilege's to our Oceania booking.  We receive a $300.00 OBC plus an invitation to the AMEX wine tasting (this is different and separate from the Oceania wine tastings).  You are entitled to attend one AMEX wine tasting for up to 2 people ......I do not know if they offered more than one invitation only AMEX wine tasting during a cruise.   We have used this on many Oceania cruises but  travelbug2225 is correct, there are some Oceania promotions that do not allow you to combine the AMEX cruise benefit (happened on 2 cruises for us).

I wasn't aware of this until reading this post.  We also have an AMEX Platinum....I've already sent a message to our TA to look into having this added to our cruise in June 2022.

2 minutes ago, DENIE said:

I wasn't aware of this until reading this post.  We also have an AMEX Platinum....I've already sent a message to our TA to look into having this added to our cruise in June 2022.

As long as you paid for your cruise with your AMEX and there isn't an Oceania promotion that does not combine,  you will be good.   I believe you need to wait until after final payment for the AMEX to be applied.

1 hour ago, basor said:

As long as you paid for your cruise with your AMEX and there isn't an Oceania promotion that does not combine,  you will be good.   I believe you need to wait until after final payment for the AMEX to be applied.

Ah....got it!  Yes, we paid our initial deposit a few weeks ago with the Platinum, and our full payment will be with that same card.

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

...  Even if the rumored fee increase to $695 goes through.

Haven't heard that one ... but, in today's world of much-restricted travel, I believe such an increase will not go over well with their Amex cardholders.

That new fee might be too much for us.  So far we have gotten benefits that make up for the cost.  Centurion Lounges, ship board credits, wine tasting, monthly Uber credits, $200 in any additional airline expenses such as baggage fees, meals and alcoholic beverages on board, concierge services for theater tickets, additional bottle of champagne  in our cabin.

We book our cruises through our favorite Oceania agent to get the best cabin for us and then transfer and pay through Amex Platinum.  They’re always very accommodating and nice to deal with.

Of course, last year most of the benefits were useless but we have started traveling again now that we’re fully vaccinated😁

12 hours ago, bigmjh said:

Haven't heard that one ... but, in today's world of much-restricted travel, I believe such an increase will not go over well with their Amex cardholders.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-to-increase-personal-platinum-annual-fee/

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Dropped that card a few years back. Fewer and fewer establishments will accept it. Their gouge fees to merchants are horrendous. Might work for some, to each his own. 

Have never had it declined.  I probably use it quite differently from you – not for everyday purchases where I have other cards with better rebates.  5x on airline fares is hard to match, plus access to so many lounges.  But even this year without any travel there have been enough offers to pay back the fee.  So it works well for me.

• Like 1

Back on topic. We were scheduled (my 13 year old, please no children on Oceania comments). I out down deposit with Amex, had my TA, not Amex, call and have Platinum code put on ($300 OBC and wine tasting) and was in my receipt. I am pretty sure it is cancelling NY-Bermuda so bought same cruise next year. My TA has a Signature promo for $400 OBC, so took that one. She is going to see if Amex code can add wine tasting, $300 OBC will not be allowed but I've had kids drink / Johnny Rockets added when OBC was not combinable, so fingers crossed.

My point of post, other than to tell people you do not have to wait until final for $300 OBC to show up, is can I buy Oceania label wine on board in gift shop? Even though I do not drink and obviously my son does not I collect a bottle of wine from each country I visit or go through.. I am over 70 now and only Kuwait has been off limits. I have a pretty cool display case here at home.

8 minutes ago, thepla said:

My point of post, other than to tell people you do not have to wait until final for $300 OBC to show up, is can I buy Oceania label wine on board in gift shop? Even though I do not drink and obviously my son does not I collect a bottle of wine from each country I visit or go through.. I am over 70 now and only Kuwait has been off limits. I have a pretty cool display case here at home.

They do not sell wine/spirits in the Gift shop  but  you can ask to buy a bottle of wine from the bar or Wine sommelier   & have it sent unopened to your cabin

My TA warned me when she got 5% off that it may not be combinable with Amex promotion.  Nothing on Oeania Guest Statement, but it does show the deposit on AX – so I'm hoping for a nice surprise on boarding.

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My TA warned me when she got 5% off that it may not be combinable with Amex promotion.  Nothing on Oeania Guest Statement, but it does show the deposit on AX – so I'm hoping for a nice surprise on boarding.

Have her call her helpdesk. In my limited experience TA have an Amex desk to call to add codes for many things. I could see $300 any balcony not combinable but not so sure of Wine tasting. I'll let you know how mine turns out as I opted for $400 signature vs $300 Amex. 

I know for a fact Royal  has cruise privileges' (up to $300 and Destination family (Up to 4 kids sodas and four Johnny Rocket's). I had Destination family when cruise privilege's was not allowed due to TA negotiated rate.

1 hour ago, thepla said:

Have her call her helpdesk. In my limited experience TA have an Amex desk to call to add codes for many things. I could see $300 any balcony not combinable but not so sure of Wine tasting. I'll let you know how mine turns out as I opted for $400 signature vs $300 Amex.

I'm pretty sure you either get the Amex Platinum benefit or you don't.  Not half.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm pretty sure you either get the Amex Platinum benefit or you don't.  Not half.

I do think in this case you're correct. Like I said above amex / royal has two programs, destination family and cruise privileges. I know for 100 percent it is possible to get omitted from cruise privileges and still get family destinations which has serpetate code. Oceania 300 and wine tasting are both cruise privileges.