Are you willing to give the cruise lines new money?

SelectSys

Are you willing to give the cruise lines new money?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to give the cruise lines new money?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, what was your rationale - pick as many as you like

• I think cruising will start before my planned vacation
    • The price was right
    • I want to a vacation
    • I think it's safe
    • I received my vaccine
    • The likely change in onboard experience is OK for me
    • My cruise is so far in the future I am betting COVID won't be an issue
    • Other
  3. 3. If no, what was you rationale?

• I have existing FCC to spend
    • I don't think the experience will be worth it
    • Safety / Health risks
    • Cost of overall travel
    • Logistical complexity of travelling
    • Where I want to go isn't open yet and who knows when it will
    • Other

58 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I don't necessarily look at it as giving them "new money"...I'm booking new cruises for 2022 and when the schedule opens further I'll give them more

I was trying to distinguish between money coming from FCC's and new funds being spent by   customers on booking.  

58 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I'm seeing certain itineraries and cabin categories booking up pretty quickly.

That doesn't surprise me as people are, rightly or wrongly, feeling that vaccinations will allow things to resume somewhat normally over the next year.

51 minutes ago, c-boy said:

this is what I was afraid of. A mad dash on bookings and availability. 

I think it is inevitable with all the pent up demand for travel.  Airfares are going to be expensive as well as service levels have been cut way back too.

To Everyone - keep voting and remember to click other as a work around to complete your survey entry.

So far it's 2-1 in favor of giving the lines "new money."

Edited by SelectSys

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

this is what I was afraid of. A mad dash on bookings and availability. 

Yep I have 6 and trying to get 7 (waiting for a suite).....two of my 2022 bookings have no suites available and four of them have doubled in price almost tripled. It's crazy town.

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yep I have 6 and trying to get 7 (waiting for a suite).....two of my 2022 bookings have no suites available and four of them have doubled in price almost tripled. It's crazy town.

reminds me of a  In N Out burger grand opening 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You are incredibly bullish on near-term cruising!

44 minutes ago, Ashland said:

End of April 2022 ... not so near term in my opinion :classic_wink:

True - that is when my cruise will be.  I thought it was end of March but the reservation said end of April.  

However, you and I are still bullish compared to some that aren't ready to make a new reservation.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 6:41 PM, SelectSys said:

I think it is inevitable with all the pent up demand for travel. 

I am a little sceptical of this so called "pent up demand," particularly for cruises.

For a start you have to take into consideration the number of FCC that are in circulation. 

Also when cruises start there will, more than likely be a limit on how many paying customers will be allowed on each ship. If a ship holds 1000 pax i will be surprised if they are allowed to sail with over 60 / 70% of customers on board, for the first year at least. I note that many are saying there is pent up demand because there are wait lists on some sailings, but how many cabins on these sailings are actually being offered and sold to customers in the first place?

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 11:02 AM, Ashland said:

I have 7 booked out to April 2023. Gotta lock in on the deals.

2 hours ago, gerryuk said:

I am a little sceptical of this so called "pent up demand," particularly for cruises.

For a start you have to take into consideration the number of FCC that are in circulation. 

Also when cruises start there will, more than likely be a limit on how many paying customers will be allowed on each ship. If a ship holds 1000 pax i will be surprised if they are allowed to sail with over 60 / 70% of customers on board, for the first year at least. I note that many are saying there is pent up demand because there are wait lists on some sailings, but how many cabins on these sailings are actually being offered and sold to customers in the first place?

Really?  I certainly am restless to start travelling again both generally and for cruising.  I would bet many others feel the same way after being at home for over a year now.

The other factors you mention - FCC, capacity, etc - are to me independent of a general desire to travel by many.

51 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

what's your earliest scheduled cruise?  Mine is April 2022.

Edited by SelectSys

2 hours ago, gerryuk said:

Cruising has an element that is addicted to cruising. That's why I've always thought that this site should have been called Cruise Addict. 😉 

A million years ago, when I was in high school, the group who 'bolted' out of the class first weren't the athletes, it was the smokers who had to race to the smoking area to get their 'hit'. Never underestimate the power of an addiction! 

4 hours ago, George C said:

We just gave celebrity a lot of new money for a royal suite complete with hot tub on our balcony for a July cruise out of St Maarten.

Sounds awesome!  Enjoy!!

I think purchasing this cruise is much different than giving money for a cruise out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale for July that was probably set in 2019, when the world was much different.  Your cruise is going to go for sure unless there's an outbreak or a hurricane.  The latter cruise?  Who knows??

• Like 1

I’ve actually got a gamble I’m playing to make the 2022 inflated prices more affordable to me.

By booking a June/July cruise that I’m positive won’t sail, and paying in full, I feel like I’m more or less guaranteeing myself a 125% FCC to use to then book the higher prices next year. 

Let’s see how it goes! 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 4

On 4/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, sfaaa said:

Not very interested yet in what I'm seeing for RCI 2023...will wait for more releases.

However Celebrity has a Hawaii one I'm keeping my eye on for some reason.

56 minutes ago, expatcruiser88 said:

I’ve actually got a gamble I’m playing to make the 2022 inflated prices more affordable to me.

By booking a June/July cruise that I’m positive won’t sail, and paying in full, I feel like I’m more or less guaranteeing myself a 125% FCC to use to then book the higher prices next year. 

Let’s see how it goes! 🤷‍♂️ 

Are you sure you are going to be offered a 125% FCC? Many lines are offering the face value of the original ticket purchased with some OBC to sweeten the deal. You like many others have purchased a cruise which may be cancelled, the cruise lines should either offer everybody a refund for the amount paid or a alternative cruise for the same amount of days without charging more money. 

Remember even at the height of all this, cruise lines were selling tickets knowing full well that there was very little chance of them sailing. To then expect people to rebook and pay more is for a similar cruise is disgraceful. 

On 4/1/2021 at 2:37 PM, SelectSys said:

Really?  I certainly am restless to start travelling again both generally and for cruising.  I would bet many others feel the same way after being at home for over a year now.

The other factors you mention - FCC, capacity, etc - are to me independent of a general desire to travel by many.

what's your earliest scheduled cruise?  Mine is April 2022.

B2B in Nov-Dec  2021. Keeping my fingers crossed  they will sail.