?'s about taking a world cruise

Hflors

I thought there was a place to get help/ discuss taking a world cruise, but I can't find it.  DH and I are thknking about taking the 2023 world cruise.    I have some questions.  Ie:  getting visas, packing, arranging tours.   Would it be a good idea to call the cruise line directly?  Do I need  ta that specializes in World cruises?    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As mentioned by others, you will find a wealth of information in the World Cruise forum and, in particular, tremendous help from the Inside Cabin.  I may have his packing list on my computer.  If you will email me at the address below, I will send it to you.  We found it indispensable when planning our 89-day Grand Asia.  I would not worry about visas until early 2022.  Who knows what changes may transpire in the meantime.  

• Thanks 1

OP, you also might want to start reading comments being made on the upcoming 2022 and 2023 Zaandam world cruise roll calls.  A lot of questions are asked on a number of subjects and answers are provided by fellow world cruisers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hflors said:

I thought there was a place to get help/ discuss taking a world cruise, but I can't find it.  DH and I are thknking about taking the 2023 world cruise.    I have some questions.  Ie:  getting visas, packing, arranging tours.   Would it be a good idea to call the cruise line directly?  Do I need  ta that specializes in World cruises?    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hard to answer everything in one post.  Previous suggestions are good.  On the TA, some use a TA that specializes in the world cruise but they end up pay quite a bit more money.  Others use TA’s that give significant discounts.  If you feel you need more significant help, it may be wise, particularly on a first world to spend the additional money.  On packing, the things that differentiates the WC from others is more the probability of both warm and cold climates plus the inclusions of speciality nights versus the length of the cruise.  While we take more regular clothes, we have learned that you don’t need as many as you think.

• Like 1

One item you do need to bring lots of is toiletries especially and medications.  Some toiletries you can pick up along the way but others can be hard to find.

on Visas, there are services you can use that charge varying amounts depending on how much help you want.  Many visas are pretty easy, others, notably China, can be more daunting.

On tours, it’s really the same as other cruises just more of them.  One exception is the possibility of overnight tours off the ship.  The roll call will have private tours available and of course the cruise line will offer them but the can be expensive.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, Hflors said:

Once you have booked and paid for the cruise HAL will send you information about Visas and available tours. If you want advance information the Gov. State department has a site that lists all visa requirement by country so you can take the list of countries visited and have a look there. As to post tours, same thing, look at the ports and do your own google search. Generally ship sponsored tours are more expensive than self generated tours BUT have the advantage of never missing the sail-a-way as ships are only held or late ship sponsored tours. Other tour passengers are on their own.

As to packing. HAL is less formal than say Cunard but more dressy than many of the other lines. Look at passenger generated photos to get a sense of dree. One can take as much or as less as one wishes. There are laundry services available on board all ships. And a lot depends on how you will arrive at the port of embarkation and your budget as to how much luggage you will bring on board. Think collapsible or stackable luggage one into the next size larger and most all will fit empty under the bed. Plenty of room to hang and drawers to fill.

• Like 2

A word on Visas- HAL will send you information on what Visas you need. Some countries will let the ship get a visa that covers everyone, so you don’t need to do anything with those. Some visas are available on board for an extra fee, and they tend to be worth it. For those you get yourself, many countries have a ‘transit visa’ for those passing through the country and not staying. Cruise ship passengers fall into that category. A transit visa is always much cheaper and easier to obtain than a full Tourist Visa.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, Hflors said:

Since they might run out of food, bring some extra cheese and crackers...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

Funny you say that be we always bring a box of snack bars and a jar of mixed nuts from Costco.  We find they work well for snacks off the ship.  Of course some countries, most notably Australia 🇦🇺 and New Zealand 🇳🇿 will execute you if you bring food off the ship.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your imput.    This seems a daunting task for someone doing this for the first time.  I have decided to call hal's world cruise on tuesday and have a long talk about some of these issues.  I have a ta, but I have no idea if she has any experience with world cruises.  I found a cabin that I would like, I am hoping that hal will at least let me hold the cabin until we can make a decision.  

I am very excited to just be able to do this.

I'll post when I have more info.

Helen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Funny you say that be we always bring a box of snack bars and a jar of mixed nuts from Costco.  We find they work well for snacks off the ship.  Of course some countries, most notably Australia 🇦🇺 and New Zealand 🇳🇿 will execute you if you bring food off the ship.

And I'll remember your ordeal on the Maasdam

On 4/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, Sir PMP said:

I know you are kidding, Sir PMP, but I am surprised how often world cruise bloggers report picking up chips or other snacks in port.

2 minutes ago, whogo said:

I know you are kidding, Sir PMP, but I am surprised how often world cruise bloggers report picking up chips or other snacks in port.

I share your thoughts.  Buying specialty type snacks/candies in ports that are unique to that country, Tim Tams, as an example:  understandable.  Otherwise:  why?  

People's desires are the only reasons that I have thought of.  If so, fine with me.  

To answer your question, lots of good information and opinions on the CC boards (including this posting).

Nothing intimidating about a WC, aka + 120 day cruise with both hot and, perhaps, colder weather.

Just an ‘old rule of thumb’ :

Pack half of what you think you’ll need clothing-wise and take 2X the cash you might have budgeted.

Certainly take whatever medications and favorite toiletries you might need since wasting time with foreign pharmacies, etc. takes up the limited times in port but ya gotta take care of the ‘necessities’ also. No such thing as a perfect packing list.

BTW. you’ll never think of everything so visiting a local eyeglass store to, say, fix a broken frame, a visit to a local grocery store for a ‘cabin’ need / local snack or a pharmacy for something you’ll need ( the unplanned) will happen. It’s just how it goes.

No worries...

Enjoy the cruise and pre-planning. You’re going to have a Great Time !

Be well.

Bob

On 4/4/2021 at 3:41 PM, Hflors said:

Thanks everyone for your imput.    This seems a daunting task for someone doing this for the first time.  I have decided to call hal's world cruise on tuesday and have a long talk about some of these issues.  I have a ta, but I have no idea if she has any experience with world cruises.  I found a cabin that I would like, I am hoping that hal will at least let me hold the cabin until we can make a decision.  

I am very excited to just be able to do this.

I'll post when I have more info.

Helen

The 2023 World Cruise will be fully refundable for quite some time to come. If you’re serious, I would suggest making the booking while the cabin you want is still available. You can cancel with no penalty for more than a year from now. If you wait, it may disappear. Some categories are already sold out. The 2020 GWV was my first, but I’ve been told that most of them don’t actually end the same way. 🤔

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1