Flexible eating times?

When we booked, we were asked if we wanted specific meal times or flexible. We chose to be flexible. I understand this means we won’t have an assigned table etc each time, but do we just turn up at a time that suits us and hope there’s a table? Or do we have to book each evening? Does this apply to both MDR and speciality? Or is there more flexibility with speciality restaurants? 

Thank you 🙂 

You can make reservations with My Time Dining if you choose to....or you can just show up whenever it's convenient for you.  There could be a short wait if you don't have reservations (or sometimes even if you DO have reservations) but it won't be long, either way....especially if it is just a small party.  Those with large parties can sometimes take longer.

57 minutes ago, twangster said:

One thing I've noticed across a number of future cruises - My Time dining starts later than it used to.  7pm is often the earliest reservation available now.  YMMV.

On my 9 booked RCL cruises all MTD reservations start at 6:30, so not saying much for MTD when restaurants open at 4:30/5:00PM. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine7777 said:

When we booked, we were asked if we wanted specific meal times or flexible. We chose to be flexible. I understand this means we won’t have an assigned table etc each time, but do we just turn up at a time that suits us and hope there’s a table? Or do we have to book each evening? Does this apply to both MDR and speciality? Or is there more flexibility with speciality restaurants? 

Thank you 🙂 

We rarely, if ever, make reservations.  This is for the main dining and not specialty.  Specialty you need to book reservations.  But we love the flexibility of eating when we want.  We get a 2 top and love that we can eat and leave, no more 3 hour dinners like set dining.  We have been doing MTD since it started and will never go back to traditional.  We meet so many people on a cruise, we have found we love having dinner alone.   We talk about the day and what we are going to do the next.  It is awesome

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, karena1 said:

no more 3 hour dinners like set dining

If you sit at your own table and have a cooperative waiter, you can finish dinner in about the same time as MTD in traditional dining. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

So does the MTD have a separate dining room or do you share with the fixed dining?  Also what times do the dining rooms open for dinner?  

Yes, MTD and traditional are usually different parts of the MDR.

MDR opening time varies by ship.

Edited by Biker19

21 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We rarely, if ever, make reservations.  This is for the main dining and not specialty.  Specialty you need to book reservations.  But we love the flexibility of eating when we want.  We get a 2 top and love that we can eat and leave, no more 3 hour dinners like set dining.  We have been doing MTD since it started and will never go back to traditional.  We meet so many people on a cruise, we have found we love having dinner alone.   We talk about the day and what we are going to do the next.  It is awesome

Exactly this ^.   We mix it up with Specialty (or CK on ships that have it) and if we have had too many happy tisers and just don't feel like getting dressed up...we simply go to the WJ where we can just pick and choose as little as we want of a much bigger selection.  I had years ago stopped making reservations for MTD.  

In the begging when we made reservations, the MDR staff would insist on putting you with same wait staff and same table.  That makes us wait more than just walking up, if that table or section is full and diners are lingering.  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

On my 9 booked RCL cruises all MTD reservations start at 6:30, so not saying much for MTD when restaurants open at 4:30/5:00PM. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

One thing I've noticed across a number of future cruises - My Time dining starts later than it used to.  7pm is often the earliest reservation available now.  YMMV.

We have MTD on our Explorer B2B Caribbean cruise for March 2022 and reserved 6:00 PM for each evening for both legs. MTD reservations started at 5:30 PM in the CP. We've never had any problems getting 6:00 PM on our past cruises for MTD.  We've been doing MTD since it started. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine7777 said:

Thank you 🙂 

MTD will be in the MDR, but on a different floor. If you don't have reservations for a specific time no biggie. There will be two lines for MTD. One line for those with reservations and one line for those without reservations. You can request a table size at the time you arrive to eat.  

I am confused by the above post.  I thought you just show up anytime and you will be seated.  The above post says they have MTD; but its for 6pm.  So you can show up or make a reservation for the time you want?  

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

I am confused by the above post.  I thought you just show up anytime and you will be seated.  The above post says they have MTD; but its for 6pm.  So you can show up or make a reservation for the time you want?  

Yes but reservations can only be made for available time's. Some time slots fill up faster than other time slots. You have the option to make reservations or not. I always do it in our CP long before the cruise. Your preference. 

• Like 1

davekathy;  thank you so much for the explanation.  Two more quick questions.  You can make MTD reservations in your cruise planner;  is that correct?  Also I was browsing the Royal website and was looking at suite benefits;  one says priority dining reservations.  Does that mean someone makes your dinner reservation every night if you want them to?  And who would do that?  Thanks and Happy Easter

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes but reservations can only be made for available time's. Some time slots fill up faster than other time slots. You have the option to make reservations or not. I always do it in our CP long before the cruise. Your preference. 

I ve never been able to do it in my CP, apparently it always cancels the previous made reservation.  I just don't know how to do it.☹️ lol. I always call C&A and let them do it for me.

10 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

davekathy;  thank you so much for the explanation.  Two more quick questions.  You can make MTD reservations in your cruise planner;  is that correct?  Also I was browsing the Royal website and was looking at suite benefits;  one says priority dining reservations.  Does that mean someone makes your dinner reservation every night if you want them to?  And who would do that?  Thanks and Happy Easter

Yes you can make MTD reservations in your CP. You will need to make reservations for each night of your cruise. You will need to select the day, time, and checkout and repeat for each night and time you want MTD. 

Someone that stays in suites will be better to answer that question. 

Edited by davekathy

1 minute ago, retiredgram said:

I ve never been able to do it in my CP, apparently it always cancels the previous made reservation.  I just don't know how to do it.☹️ lol. I always call C&A and let them do it for me.

You will need to make reservations for MTD for each night of your cruise in your CP. You will need to select the day, time, and then checkout and then repeat for each night and time you want MTD. 

Just now, davekathy said:

You will need to make reservations for MTD for each night of your cruise in your CP. You will need to select the day, time, and then checkout and then repeat for each night and time you want MTD. 

Thanks, I have tried that, but for some reason it never works.  Apparently I am doing something wrong.  So rather than get frustrated, I just call.. lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Is C & A onboard the ship to make reservations for you?

Just now, AF-1 said:

I call from home way before my cruise so I can get the times I want.  I do know that when you get on the ship, you can go to MTD and make your reservations there. They are usually quite busy.

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

C&A loyalty ambassador helps you with C&A items. 

Need to find the MTD host.  Simply walk up any time during the day or evening, as long as someone is there, to the podium outside the MTD dining room and request reservations.  

• Like 1