Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

19 hours ago, B_A_H said:

RCI just canceled the entire Bermuda season for Vision of the Seas.  I think the real reason is Bermuda is both hard and expensive to get to and that put people off leading to low occupancies.  This should make the Bermudian government even more receptive to Viking. 

18 hours ago, Triptkr said:

Ragnar Danneskjold,  do you think Viking will cancel this cruise or are you considering canceling?   Just curious what a seasoned traveler is predicting.  🙂   

Howdy all ... greetings from Bermuda! I'm a NCL cruiser but have been following Viking Orion as it's the first post-covid cruise ship to arrive in Bermuda - it'll be a welcome sight for sore eyes! Also, a few months ago we bought and moved into a house with fantastic views of the Great Sound ....

The RCI Vision of the Seas is a very old ship and its itinerary is very unappealing - why would ppl need to fly to Bermuda to cruise to Coco Cay and back? RCI's younger ship Adventure of the Seas is doing similar out of Nassau which is easier and cheaper to fly to.

Viking Orion's itinerary is so more attractive for ppl who have not been to Bermuda, want to cruise, and be able to see more of Bermuda. This also applies to ppl who want to return to Bermuda! Also, I see on Viking Ocean Cruises that the cabins are snapping up!

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Howdy all ... greetings from Bermuda! I'm a NCL cruiser but have been following Viking Orion as it's the first post-covid cruise ship to arrive in Bermuda - it'll be a welcome sight for sore eyes! Also, a few months ago we bought and moved into a house with fantastic views of the Great Sound ....

The RCI Vision of the Seas is a very old ship and its itinerary is very unappealing - why would ppl need to fly to Bermuda to cruise to Coco Cay and back? RCI's younger ship Adventure of the Seas is doing similar out of Nassau which is easier and cheaper to fly to.

Viking Orion's itinerary is so more attractive for ppl who have not been to Bermuda, want to cruise, and be able to see more of Bermuda. This also applies to ppl who want to return to Bermuda! Also, I see on Viking Ocean Cruises that the cabins are snapping up!

thanks for your inviting  post from Bermuda.

I left a post  to an article in the Royal Gazette  under the article about the Viking Orion arriving today  to the great Sound.

I look forward to my first visit to Bermuda in July  for my Viking sailing. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

The ladies have a very nicely appointed treatment area off of a private lounge/changing area.  The men are adjacent in the cozy anchor locker.  Hardly any rats.....😳

They can hire me, one of the many jobs assigned back in my cadet days - Ship's Chief Rat Catcher.😁😁 Looks good on the CV.

• Haha 1

Looks like Orion is approaching Bermuda, current about 50 - 60 miles ENE. Should be arriving in a few hours. The local AIS stations should pick her up shortly to get an update course/speed/ETA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Looks like Orion is approaching Bermuda, current about 50 - 60 miles ENE. Should be arriving in a few hours. The local AIS stations should pick her up shortly to get an update course/speed/ETA.

Orion did reach (outer) Bermuda, met up with pilot but after that Orion sailed away from Bermuda east. Looks like it's because of a new (and probably the first of the hurricane season) tropical storm brewing NE of Bermuda and heading toward the island and we're under tropical storm watch tomorrow and Sunday. 

Right now the sea is very rough with strong currents - no way that Orion can cruise/sail straight thru the North Channel without straying toward the reefs. We have had cruiseships cancelling their vivit to island due to high winds and strong currents. 

Will keep looking at the Cruisemapper and Marine Traffic ....

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Orion did reach (outer) Bermuda, met up with pilot but after that Orion sailed away from Bermuda east. Looks like it's because of a new (and probably the first of the hurricane season) tropical storm brewing NE of Bermuda and heading toward the island and we're under tropical storm watch tomorrow and Sunday. 

Right now the sea is very rough with strong currents - no way that Orion can cruise/sail straight thru the North Channel without straying toward the reefs. We have had cruiseships cancelling their vivit to island due to high winds and strong currents. 

Will keep looking at the Cruisemapper and Marine Traffic ....

Based on the forecast I read this morning, the depression brewing off-shore from Bermuda, isn't a Tropical Revolving Storm (TRS), which originate close to the Equator. This is more of a sub-tropical frontal system with gale force winds. From what I read this morning they are forecasting a short lived storm with gale force winds.

Had this been a TRS, based on a forecast track north of Bermuda, the Orion would have been steaming South at top speed. Staying to the north of a TRS in the Northern Hemisphere is tangling with the dangerous quadrant. 

With 12 ft seas forecast and 35Kt + winds, being at anchor is not the preferred option. I too would be heading out to sea for refuge.

• Like 3

I just spent a quite informative hour on the phone with a Viking Customer Relations Case Manager.  Not only was he so very helpful, but quite a professional, and gave some great insights into the changing landscape of Viking Welcome Back Cruises.  It truly cleared several items up:

1.  There is a distinct difference between "rescheduling or changing" a booked cruise versus "canceling" a booked cruise.   The Viking rep had told our TA that we would be charged $700 in airline penalties.  Obviously a misunderstanding of the semantics and failure to question/probe.

If you "cancel", then get a full 100% voucher, then book a new cruise - different booking numbers - then that has NO penalty.

If you "change or reschedule", keeping the same booking number, you get charged the $700 airline penalty.

So obviously one would always cancel, wait for voucher, and rebook.  Hence all the confusion!

2.  He gave me the Bermuda sites that Viking is following that as of today, now state clearly that the COVID PCR test has to be within 5 days (not 3 and not 4) of arrival.  It even describes the specific tests allowed and not allowed.

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors

"Proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken no more than 5 days before arrival*"

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-pre-vetted-travel-authorisation

"Test type must be a PCR test.  Note:  The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test.  It must be a PCR test.

I hope this is of value to folks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the above information. It is much appreciated!
Sincerely hope that the five day PCR test window stays the same. This timeframe makes it much more realistic to apply for Authorization Form acceptance.

We are flying Jet Blue which requires a 3 day Covid test for international travel, so we will be taking the test twice.

Looking forward to casually sipping on a couple of martinis in the Explorer’s Lounge when this is all behind us!

50 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I just spent a quite informative hour on the phone with a Viking Customer Relations Case Manager.  Not only was he so very helpful, but quite a professional, and gave some great insights into the changing landscape of Viking Welcome Back Cruises.  It truly cleared several items up:

2.  He gave me the Bermuda sites that Viking is following that as of today, now state clearly that the COVID PCR test has to be within 5 days (not 3 and not 4) of arrival.  It even describes the specific tests allowed and not allowed.

"Proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken no more than 5 days before arrival*"

"Test type must be a PCR test.  Note:  The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test.  It must be a PCR test.

How does that correlate to the info that was posted recently coming directly from Viking that says 3 days?  Asking for a non CruiseCritic friend who is sailing with Viking to Bermuda. 

8B13324C-BC2C-496A-80F2-5848805C7685.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton

In general, the folks that call you back after a tellus ping are good-natured and try to be helpful.  However they lack up-to-date and detailed knowledge.  Take with a grain of salt.

Remember, wrong information is worse than no information.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

I think the confusion of "days" is based on misinterpreting Bermuda's requirements. Here's how I interpreted them and why.  Here's my calendar from several pages back:

y4mMXpnCrRXL1Y4ulDHEdpaqK9c6LhmT4hkDpNB1

Here's Bermuda's language, emphasis mine:

Proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken no more than 5 days before arrival (it was 3 days when I made my calendar).  

Here's the language to enter the U.S. :

Travelers must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, or Antigen: Rapid). The test must be performed within 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary. This requirement applies to all travelers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travelers, as well as travelers who have been vaccinated.

To me, the difference in language means Bermuda isn't counting the day of arrival where the U.S. is essentially making Bermuda's terminology 3 days = 4 days.  So right or wrong I stopped worrying about getting tested because I had a test-Friday/results-Monday PCR solution.  With the longer window in place now no matter what the interpretation I know I'm good.  

As said earlier, Viking isn't the best source for Bermuda entry requirements.  There will always be a lag between what they publish and what the government releases.   We're watching this like hawks so it's probable we'll see updates before Viking announces them.  

Viking's updates in MVJ make it clear their requirement is that we have a Bermudian pre-authorization and the onus is on us alone to obtain one.  

Edited by B_A_H
  • Like 2

CVB's and their sites are more focused on generating visitors and money whereas the government is, well, the government.  The CVB has hundreds of screaming hotels and travel suppliers wanting them to get tourist dollars flowing again.  The CVB favors us while the government less so.  The CVB is much more likely to champion and quickly post information that encourages tourism.  The whole CLIA vs. the CDC thing would be a good comparison on positions. 

Again, Viking needs to step up and clarify.  Why the heck did they just post a doc dated May 11th when things are changing rapidly?

Maybe they are more focused on the UK cruises, which start tomorrow I think?  Understandable, but they need to focus a little more on Bermuda.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Again, Viking needs to step up and clarify.  Why the heck did they just post a doc dated May 11th when things are changing rapidly?

Maybe they are more focused on the UK cruises, which start tomorrow I think?  Understandable, but they need to focus a little more on Bermuda.

Maybe because people were complaining about no information?  ANd the very 1st paragraph does state The Bermuda regulations and Viking Covid protocols and procedures "are reviewed continuously and may be updated as your cruise departure date approaches."  Just a thought...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

1.  There is a distinct difference between "rescheduling or changing" a booked cruise versus "canceling" a booked cruise.   The Viking rep had told our TA that we would be charged $700 in airline penalties.  Obviously a misunderstanding of the semantics and failure to question/probe.

If you "cancel", then get a full 100% voucher, then book a new cruise - different booking numbers - then that has NO penalty.

If you "change or reschedule", keeping the same booking number, you get charged the $700 airline penalty.

So obviously one would always cancel, wait for voucher, and rebook.  Hence all the confusion!

On May 19 the government changed test date from 3 to 4 days go to “gotobermuda.com” as it spells it out. As of June 6 PCR testing is 4 days so more time than the 3 day but it is not 5 days. 

3 hours ago, Respbj said:

On May 19 the government changed test date from 3 to 4 days go to “gotobermuda.com” as it spells it out. As of June 6 PCR testing is 4 days so more time than the 3 day but it is not 5 days. 

I spoke directly to the Bermuda Covid office, as a USTravel Advisor on May 17, and let them know that changing the reporting dates from five days to three days after June 6 wasn’t going to fly. I explained the “three days over a weekend” lab mentality in even a big city like Chicago was not going to get PCR tests results  done in time. They said they’d consider that three day position by the meeting the next day (Tuesday). On Wednesday Bermuda changed to four day test results.  Let’s hope they move it back to five. BTW, Viking’s Iceland cruise, same time: Iceland accepts Vaccine Card as proof enough. No PCR tests or other hurdles.  

8 hours ago, gramfrog said:

I spoke directly to the Bermuda Covid office, as a USTravel Advisor on May 17, and let them know that changing the reporting dates from five days to three days after June 6 wasn’t going to fly. I explained the “three days over a weekend” lab mentality in even a big city like Chicago was not going to get PCR tests results  done in time. They said they’d consider that three day position by the meeting the next day (Tuesday). On Wednesday Bermuda changed to four day test results.  Let’s hope they move it back to five. BTW, Viking’s Iceland cruise, same time: Iceland accepts Vaccine Card as proof enough. No PCR tests or other hurdles.  

Four days at least gives us some wiggle room with test on Thursday and needing to report on Monday in the Bermuda travel authorization form. I still have to drive 2 hours for a PCR test that says results in 24 hours which I am comfortable with. I’m spending thousands of $ and don’t want this test to ruin going on the cruise. 

2 minutes ago, Respbj said:

Four days at least gives us some wiggle room with test on Thursday and needing to report on Monday in the Bermuda travel authorization form. I still have to drive 2 hours for a PCR test that says results in 24 hours which I am comfortable with. I’m spending thousands of $ and don’t want this test to ruin going on the cruise. 

If you test on Thursday (Day 0) won't you be a day short on Tuesday (Day 5)?