Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

6 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

The problem with Walgreens is their "rapid" covid test is the ID NOw test- technically not an actual PCR test.  The results won't say PCR so I don't think Bermuda will accept it.

For some reason when they said on site lab, I thought there was a chance they did 1 day PCR.

We must be lucky, there are 3 places here in Newnan, GA. Not cheap. 

2 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

The problem with Walgreens is their "rapid" covid test is the ID NOw test- technically not an actual PCR test.  The results won't say PCR so I don't think Bermuda will accept it.

We know that the Walgreens rapid test is an Abbott ID NOW (NAAT/Isothermal rather than a PCR test). We can imagine many things, but I wanted to make darned certain that I have the no-kidding truth from the only source that matters - Bermuda - and that they give a judgement not on what I say, but from an actual document (an example of which I had laying around).

So that was the last straw as far as that test goes. I have to get off my duff and browbeat the local testing organizations to find the right one.

BTW, last week I picked up some friends from the airport and noticed signs directing me to an office where Covid-19 tests for travel were done. They said "Yes, we can do a PCR test. Results are usually back in 72 hours." They send out the samples to a lab somewhere but they do not know where...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Having only sailed on the Sun, I haven't seen the dome, so don't know the structural implications. However, the planetarium removal is something that could be performed by the ship's crew, but removal of the dome could require a scope of work beyond the ability of the crew.

Andy, I believe you’re on the right track.  We were on Orion for two months in the fall of 2018.  My recollection is that the outer skin of the dome is welded steel plate.  As such, removal would be difficult.  Whereas, interior modifications would be comparatively easier.  That’s from a semi-retired structural engineer (buildings, not ships).

6 minutes ago, MarkTapley said:

Andy, I believe you’re on the right track.  We were on Orion for two months in the fall of 2018.  My recollection is that the outer skin of the dome is welded steel plate.  As such, removal would be difficult.  Whereas, interior modifications would be comparatively easier.  That’s from a semi-retired structural engineer (buildings, not ships).

Thanks Mark. Putting on my old shipyard Project Manager/estimator hat, since it involves steel plate, it is most likely outside a scope of work that the crew could safely complete.

Being steel plate, it is a fairly involved job. It requires removing the deckhead in Explorers for access and fire watch, cropping the existing dome, fabricating both a steel plate and the stiffeners that go below. Once the plate is fitted it then needs welded in a sequence that prevents warping.

Another consideration is weight, as if I recall correctly from my shipyard days, 1/4" steel plate weighs 10 lbs per square foot. Assuming they only require 1/4" or 3/8" plate, it is probably still well over 1,000 lbs of plate, so access to a crane for lifting and fitting the plate is essential. Best done in a shipyard.

Once the steel work is complete they would have to cover with deck screed material, which is a job I have never tried with the crew. Never even tried patching. Have always used contractors for that type of work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MRGACRUZR said:

For some reason when they said on site lab, I thought there was a chance they did 1 day PCR.

We must be lucky, there are 3 places here in Newnan, GA. Not cheap. 

yea I know.  I managed to find one here in Columbus that "only" charges $150.  There is also the option of the saliva test, but that is "only" $250.🙄

We really do recirculate a lot of information.  

Quest does next day PCR testing with the sample collected at a local Walgreens.  Here (again) is the link. 

http://questcovid19.com/

The question I haven't been able to get answered is "next day" from when?  When the sample is collected?  When they receive the sample?  How long does it take Walgreens to get them the sample?  In theory a Friday collection would net results as soon as Saturday if the sample is delivered and processed locally and the lab is 24/7 (Quest is big).  If it's overnighted to Quest to arrive Saturday the result could be posted Sunday or Monday.  If someone in a major market has a Walgreens with intelligent life in it maybe you could do some scouting for information.  In my city they are all idiots. 

And as we discussed previously, as a fallback, you can get a same day travel authorization.

Travel Authorisation applications are vetted between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. daily, prior to approval (see Tables below for requirements and the process). Emergency Travel Authorisations may be issued on the day of travel by the COVID-19 Helpline on +1(441)444-2498. If your Travel Authorisation is not approved before your flight, you cannot travel to Bermuda. 

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers

So this is an anxiety ridden PIA but I think all of us should be able to pull it off.

• Like 1

Here is the one we are getting, and the detailed test description.

https://orangecountycovidclinic.com/product/same-day-rt-pcr-covid-19-test/

(Sorry, the formatting was lost)

Test Name:
Methodology: Testing Platform: Testing Sensitivity: Testing Specificity: Collection Sources: Collection Swabs: Transport Media:
Transport Temperature:
Specimen Stability: Reference Range(s)
SARS-CoV-2 RNA, QUALITATIVE RT-PCR
Real-Time (RT) Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction (rPCR) Applied biosystems Quant Studio 12k/Thermofisher/Taqpath COVID-19 100% at 10 GCE/reaction
100% specific to SARS CoV-2 RNA
Nasal swab (N), nasopharyngeal swab (NP) or oropharyngeal (throat) Flocked, rayon, or polyester fiber swabs. Select swabs with serrated shafts (1) Multi microbe media (M4, M4RT, M5, M6)
(2) VTM media “green-cap” tube or equivalent (UTM)
Specimens must be kept cool
- If transported ≤72 h, keep at 4oC
- If transported >72 h, keep at -70oC (ship on dry ice)
Stored at 4oC for up to one week; long term storage at -20oC in non-frost freezer
acceptable Not Detected

I am perfectly calm about our sailing  on July 13. I  check the Bermuda web cam each morning to see the Viking Orion as I have my morning coffee. If you are up early, you hear owls  in the background.

I also check it in the evening , the ship is all lite up,  while I have my evening cocktail. I can evern see my balcony stateroom on the aft of the ship. I will be in it in less than 50 days. 

Cheers!

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Interior pictures appear to show no planetarium. 

Not sure what interior pictures you are referring to Clay. However it is worth noting that the 360 tours on all the ship's pages on the Viking site are generic and have never shown the planetarium even when apparently "viewing" the Orion or Jupiter. 

20 hours ago, What was that? said:

Useful Test Response from Bermuda:

I emailed the Bermuda Corona Virus Hotline with a copy of my test results (attached) from the Abbott ID NOW test at Walgreens, and asked if this would be accepted by Bermuda for a BTA. Response was:

"The only thing wrong with this result is that it’s not a PCR result. Apart from that, the format is fine."

So, if anyone is harboring hope that this test will be accepted by Bermuda under the current rules, I would say to forget about it.

Walgreens Test Result for Hawaii.jpg

What was that?,

Thanks for posting this, have you tried CVS?  We did a test on Saturday morning and my husband got his results that night and I got mine Sunday night.   That test was a nasal swab, a RT-PCR, to be specific it was: SARS-COV-2 RNA, QL RT PCR (COVID-19).    

I definitely realize that not everyone will get their results in one to two days which adds an element of excitement.  j/k

Ragnar you have done a great job explaining the crazy mix of rules and regs you are having to go through. I thought about you today when I went to a local store, been here for decades, sort of a general store type thing.  They have declared masks optional.  Now there is a USPS branch in the store.  You can walk around the whole store without a mask, including right up to the USPS facility but if you get in line a mask is required.  Seems governments everywhere are not using any type of common sense.  Hope this works out for y'all so we can just look forward to cruising in the near future.  

Edited by Jim Avery

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I note that Viking is still showing 3 days instead of 4 for covid tests for Bermuda.  Has anyone talked to Viking to verify the 4 day window touted by the Bermuda tourism site?

Yes I called them yesterday and was told it was 3 days for the PCR test.  When I told them about the new 4 day requirement, they said they were aware but because the rules say 3 day NOW, that is what is on Viking's website.  Was told it would "probably" be changed after June 6.  I'm thinking they are waiting to see if Bermuda doesn't change it again.  And the current Viking posting does state that Viking would update as needed to reflect any changes.                                                                                                                                                                                      "The information included here should be considered current for all guests. Specific protocols and procedures may evolve over time to adapt to various conditions or travel regulations in the destinations in which we operate. Please continue to check this link for the most up-to-date Bermuda information, or visit https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors for additional details."

Edited by bafinegan

5 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Yes I called them yesterday and was told it was 3 days for the PCR test.  When I told them about the new 4 day requirement, they said they were aware but because the rules say 3 day NOW, that is what is on Viking's website.  Was told it would "probably" be changed after June 6.  I'm thinking they are waiting to see if Bermuda doesn't change it again.  And the current Viking posting does state that Viking would update as needed to reflect any changes.                                                                                                                                                                                      "The information included here should be considered current for all guests. Specific protocols and procedures may evolve over time to adapt to various conditions or travel regulations in the destinations in which we operate. Please continue to check this link for the most up-to-date Bermuda information, or visit https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors for additional details."

I am hoping than when it's time for us to get on the cruise, those requirement are relaxed and clearer.

I have no idea where to go for a test that will not require me to take an additional day off. Already had to take 6 days off for the cruise... And I do not want to take the risk to take the test Friday late in the day to help the timeline...

And to make things worse, we had to book our own airfares because we are passenger of size and Viking could not confirm we could book business class with Viking Air. And we are stuck with an overnight transfer in Newark... We did book transfers with Viking which we have been told would include us in the Viking Bubble...

This is gonna be interesting. At this point, on those dates (July 20th), seemed it would be way easier to leave from the US than Bermuda... At least the excursions are all booked 🙂

We not Viking are responsible for navigating and complying with Bermuda's entry requirements.  If any of us can't get to Bermuda because we failed the process or the process failed us there's nothing Viking can do about it.

There's an example in the Baltic thread of strict travel measures to enter Malta that don't allow travel to be broken enroute (EG: voluntary or involuntary stopovers) along with no pre or post cruise stays permitted.  Viking's offering extensions on MVJ.  SMH

Only the country we're trying to get in to will determine whether we can enter.  Nothing I've read relative to Bermuda, Iceland, Malta, or the UK departures have indicated that Viking influenced arrival requirements in any way.  There may be modifications once we're in (EG: transfers to the ship to await testing results vs. waiting at the airport) but that's the the only deviation I've read about. 

Caveat Emptor as they say. 

Edited by B_A_H
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

We not Viking are responsible for navigating and complying with Bermuda's entry requirements.  If any of us can't get to Bermuda because we failed the process or the process failed us there's nothing Viking can do about it.

There's an example in the Baltic thread of strict travel measures to enter Malta that don't allow travel to be broken enroute (EG: voluntary or involuntary stopovers) along with no pre or post cruise stays permitted.  Viking's offering extensions on MVJ.  SMH

Only the country we're trying to get in to will determine whether we can enter.  Nothing I've read relative to Bermuda, Iceland, Malta, or the UK departures have indicated that Viking influenced arrival requirements in any way.  There may be modifications once we're in (EG: transfers to the ship to await testing results vs. waiting at the airport) but that's the the only deviation I've read about. 

Caveat Emptor as they say. 

The problem is Viking releasing inaccurate information.  SOme people don't look at the different, individual island websites for their COvid criteria ( Bermuda).  They depend on Viking to "tell them what to do"  I just talked to Viking again, trying to show them the different tiem requirements after June 6( deep sigh).  SO I asked if there was a difference  between what Viking posted and what Bermuda posts- to go by Bermuda's requirements ( which I figured out anyway).  Hope this will help clear up some of the confusion and make people realize they need to be a bit pro-active and check themselves.  

pcr.PNG

Edited by bafinegan

Just signed up to ship a suitcase to our hotel in Bermuda, via the Viking link to Luggage Forward.  Got a nice discount.  Sending this with DW’s “overflow” from her carryon.

We are shipping it rather than checking it in with the airline because we have a 13 hour overnight layover in Miami.  The airline’s limit for checking through a layover is 12 hours, no exceptions.  So rather than waiting around in the Miami airport to get the bag, and checking it back in in the morning, we will ship it.  Hotel said ok and will hold it for us.  Our return flight has a short layover so will just check the bag through.

PS - Bermuda is “international” so adds ~$100 to the basic price shown on the initial LF webpage.  A 50 lb bag from California to Bermuda, with $1,000 insurance, was about $225.  One way.

You need to sign up well in advance, like by Monday, if you are sending to the ship for the 6/15 cruise, as they have to fedex tags to you and it takes 7 days to get to Bermuda (at least from California).  We just made the cutoff, because we are arriving early.

You will have to upload a photo of your passport photo page...

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1