Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

One more experience from the June 15th cruise as we sit in the Explorers Lounge waiting for a departure time of 12:50. Better than the airport, I guess.

Be aware that calling Bermuda because your Travel Authorization has not been approved in the expected time frame will be billed to your phone at International rates. Got our bill yesterday. $47.00 for about 12 minutes. My sister, who was in q for almost an hour was warned by AT&T that she was racking up some significant International charges (around $300). They offered her the opportunity to retroactively sign up for a month of International calling for $15.

Not sure how to avoid these charges unless you have an IP phone or a phone card, if there is still such a thing. If you end up forced to call Bermuda, consider adding an International plan for a month.

• Like 3

It was a great cruise. Rumor from the crew is 450 pax next cruise. If they lose as many to the Bermuda administrative process as we did (about 90) it should be a very nice cruise. Enjoy

Edited by MRGACRUZR
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

One more experience from the June 15th cruise as we sit in the Explorers Lounge waiting for a departure time of 12:50. Better than the airport, I guess.

Be aware that calling Bermuda because your Travel Authorization has not been approved in the expected time frame will be billed to your phone at International rates. Got our bill yesterday. $47.00 for about 12 minutes. My sister, who was in q for almost an hour was warned by AT&T that she was racking up some significant International charges (around $300). They offered her the opportunity to retroactively sign up for a month of International calling for $15.

Not sure how to avoid these charges unless you have an IP phone or a phone card, if there is still such a thing. If you end up forced to call Bermuda, consider adding an International plan for a month.

Thank you so much for ALL of your useful posts!  This one caused me to look up my calling rates with Spectrum Mobile. Just  .10/minute. But that brings me to another question. When you landed in Bermuda did you have hard copies of all the paperwork you needed or did you have to show anything on your phone? Is there Wifi in the airport?  International data rates are a bit higher. Your positive posts have helped me make up my mind to go ahead with my trip. Also, really glad to hear you are able to stay onboard today until later. Thanks again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

It was a great cruise. Rumor from the crew is 450 pax next cruise. If they lose as many to the Bermuda administrative process as we did (about 90) it should be a very nice cruise. Enjoy

So you're confirming that 90 missed the first cruise.  What exactly were the problems?  Quarantined airline passengers?  Improper paperwork?

5 minutes ago, bobitegirl said:

Thank you so much for ALL of your useful posts!  This one caused me to look up my calling rates with Spectrum Mobile. Just  .10/minute. But that brings me to another question. When you landed in Bermuda did you have hard copies of all the paperwork you needed or did you have to show anything on your phone? Is there Wifi in the airport?  International data rates are a bit higher. Your positive posts have helped me make up my mind to go ahead with my trip. Also, really glad to hear you are able to stay onboard today until later. Thanks again.

Actually, staying onboard is not by choice. Nothing to show in airport/cruise terminal from phone, all hard copy originals. (Do carry electronic copies for emergencies). We really had no time to think about wifi in the airport so, can't answer that one. We did land at the brand new terminal, F. You may be able to Google about the wifi but, I doubt you'll have a spare second to use it. We have T-Mobile so we're covered for free text and data and .25 a minute calling in over 200 countries. There is included wifi onboard that was fairly good. "Wifi calling" worked fine, if your carrier/phone offers it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jtwind said:

So you're confirming that 90 missed the first cruise.  What exactly were the problems?  Quarantined airline passengers?  Improper paperwork?

The number that didn't make it count comes mostly from crew members so "confirmed", no but there are only about 330 on board with 450 crew. The only reports of quarantined passengers was one from the ship that apparently had a vaccine breakthrough. There was a Bermdan on the JetBlue flight from JFK that tested positive. It seems the contact tracking did not end up affecting any Viking passengers. It seems the 90 left behind never got out of the states. PCR test? Bermuda Travel Authorization? vaccination? Poorly executed paperwork?, passport?.

There is no way I can tell you anything that "confirms" or is "exactly". It's not the kind of info that is written somewhere.

36 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Most likely.

There was a grandmother and granddaughter travelling to the cruise, but Grandma didn't have all the paperwork necessary so she missed the travel, and told the granddaughter to go.

So, make sure you have all the necessary mandatory paperwork as required by the airline (as it's an overseas travel), Viking AND Bermuda!

19 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

The number that didn't make it count comes mostly from crew members so "confirmed", no but there are only about 330 on board with 450 crew. The only reports of quarantined passengers was one from the ship that apparently had a vaccine breakthrough. There was a Bermdan on the JetBlue flight from JFK that tested positive. It seems the contact tracking did not end up affecting any Viking passengers. It seems the 90 left behind never got out of the states. PCR test? Bermuda Travel Authorization? vaccination? Poorly executed paperwork?, passport?.

There is no way I can tell you anything that "confirms" or is "exactly". It's not the kind of info that is written somewhere.

True, but there were 2 Bermudians on that Jet Blue flight testing positive on arrival. 

Also, mask wearing is mandatory on the flights.

Proper paperwork - printed - is essential.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Actually, staying onboard is not by choice. Nothing to show in airport/cruise terminal from phone, all hard copy originals. (Do carry electronic copies for emergencies). We really had no time to think about wifi in the airport so, can't answer that one. We did land at the brand new terminal, F. You may be able to Google about the wifi but, I doubt you'll have a spare second to use it. We have T-Mobile so we're covered for free text and data and .25 a minute calling in over 200 countries. There is included wifi onboard that was fairly good. "Wifi calling" worked fine, if your carrier/phone offers it.

About WiFi at the airport .... when you touch down (still on plane) you can use your mobile to call, text, check emails, etc, but as you enter the building to go to Immigration & Customs you cannot use it until you exit the Customs.

29 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

At least it appears all of our CruiseCritic “family” made it aboard 🙂  The info exchanged here was invaluable.  Easy to see how folks that aren’t on CC could have had Bermuda entry issues.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

At least it appears all of our CruiseCritic “family” made it aboard 🙂  The info exchanged here was invaluable.  Easy to see how folks that aren’t on CC could have had Bermuda entry issues.

I was thinking the same thing. If there is an issue, it will be identified and resolved among us on CC. I really was wondering how those that were not members were going to make it. I know there are some good travel agents out there but, I believe the majority of the TAs would have been befuddled by this process. A real butt kicker.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

@Ragnar Danneskjold How are you now? Any chance of you rebooking to go on the Aug 3 Bermuda Escape as I'd love to meet you!

Things are improving on the medical front.  Hoping that the doctors will give us a thumbs-up to travel in the fairly near future.  But I’m afraid this last round of contact-tracing “landmines” has scared us off of traveling to Bermuda.  As others have mentioned, 14 days stuck in a small hotel room with ol’ Ragnar might drive DW over the edge 🙂

Once I read the trip reports from the June 15th cruise, I’ll be signing off the Bermuda threads.

Thanks Bluesea for all the great information you have provided here!

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Things are improving on the medical front.  Hoping that the doctors will give us a thumbs-up to travel in the fairly near future.  But I’m afraid this last round of contact-tracing “landmines” has scared us off of traveling to Bermuda.  As others have mentioned, 14 days stuck in a small hotel room with ol’ Ragnar might drive DW over the edge 🙂

I’m afraid I’m with you, Ragnar. We are canceling our 20 July cruise because of the low probability of satisfying all the “requirements” - whatever they will be when that cruise sails - and avoiding the constantly-changing hurdles and land mines on the get-to-Bermuda obstacle course. 
I remember the “good old days” when we just had to be concerned with keeping ourselves safe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jtwind said:

On one of the Roll Calls, a pax posted that he was refused boarding at the airport, as they had not researched the pre-arrival requirements. Therefore, they did not meet the testing requirements or have the travel authorisation. Apparently others were also on the same flight and had the same problem.

Post-COVID, the days of simply packing the passport and jumping on a plane are gone for the foreseeable future. Ever since I went to sea and started cruising, determining entry requirements for Visas & health clearance has always been the pax responsibility. It has never been the responsibility of the cruise lines. The cruise lines may assist, but final responsibility always rests with the pax. 

For our 23 WC, I have already created a spreadsheet for documenting the requirements of every country we visit. At present, it contains Visa requirements and any restrictions on what can be taken ashore, especially medications. Closer to the time, I will update it for any remaining COVID testing requirements.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Just hope that your WC doesn’t call at a place like Bermuda….  Imagine being dragged off your WC due to contact tracing and thrown into a small hotel room for two weeks while your fellow WCers sail off into the sunset.

Haha, we substituted Colombia.  I hear they are much more cooperative...🤠

Seriously though, I have a lot of cruise line stock and this contact tracing stuff is starting to worry me about the viability of cruising.  All the lines need to clearly state their protocols in this area, for every port of call, and length of cruise, etc.

It may turn out to just be a tempest in a teapot, but we need clarity in this area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Seriously though, I have a lot of cruise line stock and this contact tracing stuff is starting to worry me about the viability of cruising.  All the lines need to clearly state their protocols in this area, for every port of call, and length of cruise, etc.

It may turn out to just be a tempest in a teapot, but we need clarity in this area.

I have yet to see any reportage on-line about Viking's "successful" restart with the Bermuda cruises.

• Like 1

@MRGACRUZR Add my thanks to everyone else's for all the helpful and pragmatic feedback you've provided.  

I'm on T-Mobile too so you just saved me some money for when inevitably I have to call Bermuda to push through my travel authorization in July.  Adding Stateside International Talk for $15 a month makes all my calls to Bermuda free.  The also have an international data plan with 15GB of data that includes free calls for $50 so I'll do that too.  

Looing back, after all that you went through to get there, onboard, and to get back, was it worth it?  Would you do it again knowing what you know now?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

@MRGACRUZR Add my thanks to everyone else's for all the helpful and pragmatic feedback you've provided.  

I'm on T-Mobile too so you just saved me some money for when inevitably I have to call Bermuda to push through my travel authorization in July.  Adding Stateside International Talk for $15 a month makes all my calls to Bermuda free.  The also have an international data plan with 15GB of data that includes free calls for $50 so I'll do that too.  

Looing back, after all that you went through to get there, onboard, and to get back, was it worth it?  Would you do it again knowing what you know now?  

I've gone back,and forth. Final answer: yes

But, I'm not booking a second one. It was nice to be on an uncrowded ship, an Explorers Suite and a Silver Spirits package. That almost balances Bermudas constantly changing entry requirements and arrival dance. We got our fix. I think we're good till our December Windstar 18 day cruise😊 Home to see the puppies.

BTW, anyone that needs to renew their Global Entry, you can do it in Bermuda.

Also, US passengers will clear US Customs and immigration in Bermuda. A smooth process.

Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm with you Ragnar.  Covid will never go away completely.  Look it up, there are still cases of Bubonic plague, Spanish Flu, and just about every other virus/bacteria out there.  Not until panic subsides and people accept that some will get covid every year will cruising be fully "normal".  Treat the sick, as they all do, and quarantine highly communicable diseases, as they did before covid.  Get the vax and get on with your life.  If someone chooses to not get vaxxed that's their choice.  Puts them at risk in a crowd not the vaccinated folks.  If cruises, or any other business, want to require customers be vaccinated that's their right too.  

We've had a wonderful cruise, wonderful! I had serious doubts up until the night before going...thanks Bermuda [insert sarcasm].   But we are really glad we went.  I second what someone said earlier about CC playing a vital role in getting us successfully to Bermuda.  I spoke to several others on onboard and they had gotten tested 3 days prior because that's what they thought was correct--they were going off of Viking's pdf on MVJ. They also didn't know what Cruise Critic was.  

I thought it was nice that Viking allowed us to stay onboard practically up until our flight.  We were told that we were allowed to get off the ship if we wanted prior to going to the airport to walk around Hamilton.

• Like 3