Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

9 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

We've had a wonderful cruise, wonderful! I had serious doubts up until the night before going...thanks Bermuda [insert sarcasm].   But we are really glad we went.  I second what someone said earlier about CC playing a vital role in getting us successfully to Bermuda.  I spoke to several others on onboard and they had gotten tested 3 days prior because that's what they thought was correct--they were going off of Viking's pdf on MVJ. They also didn't know what Cruise Critic was.  

I thought it was nice that Viking allowed us to stay onboard practically up until our flight.  We were told that we were allowed to get off the ship if we wanted prior to going to the airport to walk around Hamilton.

Thanks so much for your  quick  report  now that you are home. 

I appreciate it. Good to know about staying on the ship or going out into Hamilton on the day we leave before our transfer to the  airpot. 

As my sister said last night. next month when she boards AtL flight to Bermuda, she will raise  V V final with her fingers!
  Viking Vacation has started... Let Viking  deal  with any issues . WE will be on vacation. 

BTW did you go to any beaches, or explore Hamilton  on your won? 

Welcome back!

Edited by Azulann

31 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

@MRGACRUZR Add my thanks to everyone else's for all the helpful and pragmatic feedback you've provided.  

I'm on T-Mobile too so you just saved me some money for when inevitably I have to call Bermuda to push through my travel authorization in July.  Adding Stateside International Talk for $15 a month makes all my calls to Bermuda free.  The also have an international data plan with 15GB of data that includes free calls for $50 so I'll do that too.  

Looing back, after all that you went through to get there, onboard, and to get back, was it worth it?  Would you do it again knowing what you know now?  

I have T-Moblie too> Will stop by  and get  a month of  Iinternational  talk for $15.00 for the month of July .

Thank you  for the   your quick report. 

Here's the link to order #3 which discusses quarantine in depth. 

http://www.bermudalaws.bm/laws/Consolidated Laws/Quarantine (COVID-19) (No. 3) Order 2020.pdf

Here's the part we're discussing. Notice is says "may be placed" in isolation.  Maybe that's how they sprang Steve.  On the flip side it doesn't say "up to" in front of 14 days which isn't good. 

Assuming someone's been in contact with a person that's COVID positive surely a wait of 14 days isn't necessary.  If you test negative 72 hours after that contact you should be good.  Surely you'd be good after 7 days.  So I guess the question is how rigorously or consistently Bermuda applies these rules. If you're negative after 72 hours is Bermuda going to stop you from leaving the island?  Why would they want you to stay?

image.png.3f41b79f1aec815e09146f89ecdf9d46.png

• Like 1

On another subject - the Verifly app is a real pain. I had notes from previous posters that said to scroll down to Viking trip. At least on my Android that did not work, but I put Viking in the search box and it came right up. Then taking pictures took forever. Every time we tried, in broad daylight, it said "not enough light".  Finally got our pictures in and pics of our CDC cards. Now, it says it is reviewing Covid vaccination.  Can anyone recall how long it took to be approved?  Jeez, I agree, if you are not on cc and reading all the tips, it would be really difficult to complete all the he actions necessary.

2 minutes ago, bobitegirl said:

On another subject - the Verifly app is a real pain. I had notes from previous posters that said to scroll down to Viking trip. At least on my Android that did not work, but I put Viking in the search box and it came right up. Then taking pictures took forever. Every time we tried, in broad daylight, it said "not enough light".  Finally got our pictures in and pics of our CDC cards. Now, it says it is reviewing Covid vaccination.  Can anyone recall how long it took to be approved?  Jeez, I agree, if you are not on cc and reading all the tips, it would be really difficult to complete all the he actions necessary.

It took about 10 minutes for me.  But i have seen where others contacted Verifly support if approval didn't occur after several hours.  It should change to a "Ready to Travel" in green

2 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

It took about 10 minutes for me.  But i have seen where others contacted Verifly support if approval didn't occur after several hours.  It should change to a "Ready to Travel" in green

Ok, where does it change? On the app? Do they send an email?  So, I need to wait several hours to see it's ready to fly I guess. Thanks!

30 minutes ago, bobitegirl said:

Ok, where does it change? On the app? Do they send an email?  So, I need to wait several hours to see it's ready to fly I guess. Thanks!

It changed on the app for me.  Like I said, mine was "Ready to Travel" within 10 minutes.  

1 hour ago, B_A_H said:

Here's the link to order #3 which discusses quarantine in depth. 

http://www.bermudalaws.bm/laws/Consolidated Laws/Quarantine (COVID-19) (No. 3) Order 2020.pdf

Here's the part we're discussing. Notice is says "may be placed" in isolation.  Maybe that's how they sprang Steve.  On the flip side it doesn't say "up to" in front of 14 days which isn't good. 

Assuming someone's been in contact with a person that's COVID positive surely a wait of 14 days isn't necessary.  If you test negative 72 hours after that contact you should be good.  Surely you'd be good after 7 days.  So I guess the question is how rigorously or consistently Bermuda applies these rules. If you're negative after 72 hours is Bermuda going to stop you from leaving the island?  Why would they want you to stay?

image.png.3f41b79f1aec815e09146f89ecdf9d46.png

I'm thinking they used "shall be subject to public health monitoring, ACTIVE MONITORING, OR isolation.  On Viking, between the daily temp checks, daily covid tests and the contact tracing thingy, one is being actively monitored.  

Hopefully, this set a precedent if this happens again.  Remember, all are kinda "feeling their way".

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, angelhelly said:

We can still clearly see your booking number...

Thanks for the heads up.  I might add this booking number will be cancelled this Friday.  Using the ripcord.  I hope the visual helped answer the question.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, molymoo said:

We got a quick verification as well.  We also got an email confirming we were verified and good to go.  We saved the email just in case!!

We got the verification just fine, after a phone call.  Never got an email though.  Took screen prints for verification.  I think we are set to go!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobitegirl said:

After 24 hrs we had to email them

Just tried to do Comfort Check-in.  It disappeared!  I spoke with Viking just now and found out why.  They had IT issues with it (Technical Systems problems) and have temporarily removed Comfort Check-in.  She said it hopefully would be back available sometime in July, once the IT people get the issues fixed (and tested I hope!).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Azulann said:

Thanks so much for your  quick  report  now that you are home. 

I appreciate it. Good to know about staying on the ship or going out into Hamilton on the day we leave before our transfer to the  airpot. 

As my sister said last night. next month when she boards AtL flight to Bermuda, she will raise  V V final with her fingers!
  Viking Vacation has started... Let Viking  deal  with any issues . WE will be on vacation. 

BTW did you go to any beaches, or explore Hamilton  on your won? 

Welcome back!

The second day of the cruise we did the Homes and Hideaways excursion that was included.  We enjoyed it, had a good tour guide(s).  After that we did explore Hamilton on ou own.  We did some shopping on Front Street, I recommend checking out The Island Shop if you like boutique shops with all local inventory. 

Then the last two days of the cruise we were in Hamilton, as you know.  We did another excursion--catamaran sailing rally something or other that was included.  Ended up being a really nice excursion.  Catamaran took us to a little quite shallow bay and we got to swim, snorkel, etc.  Since that was on Monday and being a holiday we didn't go back out that day as it seemed that most stores were closed and we wanted to enjoy the ship.  

I thought it was great that Viking allowed us to lounge on the ship till we needed to leave for the airport.  To be clear this is how our schedule went: 

-All had to vacate their rooms by 8am.

-Our transfer was at 12:50pm for our 3:55pm flight.  We got to the airport by 1:30ish.  We didn't feel like we got to the airport too early or too late.  Checking in at the airport and going through customs was an absolute breeze!!!!!  Especially in contrast to the beginning of our trip-arrival to Bermuda. 

-We did ask a crew member at customer services what we were supposed to do while we waited on board for our transfer and he said we could go anywhere on the ship...eat and the World Cafe, the bars were open, sit anywhere.  We were also allowed to get off the ship and explore Hamilton as long as we got back on to retrieve our one piece of luggage that we left behind at the front desk.

So, really a lot of freedom--I know for a fact that other cruise lines that we all know that have big names would never have done this.  They would have dropped us off at the airport and waved goodbye while we waited for 6+ hours for our flight.

Oh, and something to note:  we flew Delta and our gate was literally smack next to United's gate at the Bermuda airport.  United was calling out for boarding and they specifically said that people needed to have their passports,  tickets and CDC attestation papers at the ready to show before boarding the plane.

I started to get worried at that point  because I didn't have anything printed out, I had just filled out our attestation forms on Delta's site.  Delta never looked, never asked for attestation forms at the gate, they only wanted our boarding passes in hand--that's it.

At check in at the airport they did ask to see our negative test results but that was at check in.  Delta never brought up anything about attestation verbally.

That was our experience. 

Edited by Triptkr
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

The second day of the cruise we did the Homes and Hideaways excursion that was included.  We enjoyed it, had a good tour guide(s).  After that we did explore Hamilton on ou own.  We did some shopping on Front Street, I recommend checking out The Island Shop if you like boutique shops with all local inventory. 

Then the last two days of the cruise we were in Hamilton, as you know.  We did another excursion--catamaran sailing rally something or other that was included.  Ended up being a really nice excursion.  Catamaran took us to a little quite shallow bay and we got to swim, snorkel, etc.  Since that was on Monday and being a holiday we didn't go back out that day as it seemed that most stores were closed and we wanted to enjoy the ship.  

I thought it was great that Viking allowed us to lounge on the ship till we needed to leave for the airport.  To be clear this is how our schedule went: 

-All had to vacate their rooms by 8am.

-Our transfer was at 12:50pm for our 3:55pm flight.  We got to the airport by 1:30ish.  We didn't feel like we got to the airport too early or too late.  Checking in at the airport and going through customs was an absolute breeze!!!!!  Especially in contrast to the beginning of our trip-arrival to Bermuda. 

-We did ask a crew member at customer services what we were supposed to do while we waited on board for our transfer and he said we could go anywhere on the ship...eat and the World Cafe, the bars were open, sit anywhere.  We were also allowed to get off the ship and explore Hamilton as long as we got back on to retrieve our one piece of luggage that we left behind at the front desk.

So, really a lot of freedom--I know for a fact that other cruise lines that we all know that have big names would never have done this.  They would have dropped us off at the airport and waved goodbye while we waited for 6+ hours for our flight.

Oh, and something to note:  we flew Delta and our gate was literally smack next to United's gate at the Bermuda airport.  United was calling out for boarding and they specifically said that people needed to have their passports,  tickets and CDC attestation papers at the ready to show before boarding the plane.

I started to get worried at that point  because I didn't have anything printed out, I had just filled out our attestation forms on Delta's site.  Delta never looked, never asked for attestation forms at the gate, they only wanted our boarding passes in hand--that's it.

At check in at the airport they did ask to see our negative test results but that was at check in.  Delta never brought up anything about attestation verbally.

That was our experience. 

I agree with you...I like that Viking allowed you to stay onboard where you can continue to enjoy the ship's amenities rather than drop you at the airport to sit and wait for hours with nothing to do.

Also flying Delta home so this is good news as well.

Thanks for posting and glad you made it home safely!

• Like 1

So I am back home after the 6/15 Bermuda cruise. Here is my thoughts on the cruise. First off you need patience and a go with the flow additude.

I guess I was pretty lucky as I got through the airport in Bermuda pretty quick, around 30 minutes. The bus had about 10 of us on a 30 minute drive to the ship. 

The day before we left, Viking emailed that no St George's and free to leave ship on our own. So snorkeling tour #1 cancelled. Viking put a 4 hour bus ride to St George's from King's Harbor, so I took it as we were now in King's an extra day. I also took a tourist train in King's that I paid $39 for that was lame. But all other tours were fully booked.

First thing I did on the ship once I did the life vest muster, spit in my tube test, was go to spa desk and make my appointments to use spa pool. I had already booked my spa treatments online for the sea days.

First full day in Bermuda and snorkeling tour #2 cancelled due to rainy weather. I went to guest services and all other tour were booked so spent time at the pool most of the afternoon.

Day at sea I had a facial, spa pool and I went to the private party in the lounge. Yes we were mostly without face masks as we were eating and drinking or we were asked to take off our masks to take pictures. We did have dinner at tables of 6 which was fun as I met people who I had talked to on FB.  That evening was ABBA show, in the theatre there was spacing but mostly 50/50 with masks. If you are drinking/eating, sitting by pool, in a pool or walking the deck, no mask required.

The two days in King's were ok. Some people took taxi to beach, most shops were open and very welcoming. I did the 4 hour bus tour to St George's. Viking had mini vans or bus for these tours, I was in a bus with 5 people, most kept masks on in the bus ,but one woman took hers off, driver didn't insist that she put it on.  

In King's on the first night I was walking around the deck after dinner and saw two friends leaving the ship with all luggage. Through FB I found out that one person tested positive (first thing every morning before anything you have to do test). They were on a Viking tour in a mini van. In reflection, it was good they were not in one of the busses and more people would have been effected.

The next day two people of the four returned to the ship as Viking worked with Bermuda as these people tested negative. They stayed in their room until another PCR test confirmed they were negative. We wear a contact tracing monitor all the time, except in our room or in the pool. The person who tested positive had to quaritine on the island with their partner at their expense. Bermuda does not allow a positive tested person another test prior to quaritine so they may have had a false positive but had to follow Bermuda law.

The second day of cruising was a bit overkill as another day back in Hamilton would have been my preference but I did a spa treatment and did trivia quiz with couple who were allowed back on the ship after the negative tests came back and they were free to roam the ship. We then had lunch with them and got the details of their experience. As they stated, Viking will do the same for anyone in their situation to get them back on board, since they tested negative. That evening, the Explorers night special cocktail party took place on the pool deck. Since almost the entire ship were past Viking cruisers, all were invited, and the cruise team was introduced. Our cruise director Brian Rodriguez sang as he has a wonderful voice. There was a Top of the Pops show one night.

On last full day in Hamilton and I finally got to go on a snorkeling trip. The boat was great, snorkeling in the clear water was great, could have stayed longer in the water but it was only a two hour tour and rum punch was waiting. Back at the dock our boat had to dock next to another boat and go through their boat to get on dry land. Well leave it to me, the gangplank was not secured to the dock and the plank went down and I flew onto the concrete and was able to take advantage of the medical team. Wheelchair back to ship, medical team cleaned my cuts and bruises, doctor examined me, given a tetnus shot, some pain meds, pain cream, and wheelchair back to room, room service and a large bag of ice for my swollen right hand. I managed to get to Manfridi's for dinner and the final night show of the Beatles and a few words from our Captain with a video of the crew since really could not bring them all on stage. Luggage had to be in the hall way with luggage group tag by 10 PM.

Last day we got to stay on board till 11:40 AM, but out of our room by 8AM. Our flight home was 3:10 PM. The airport is small so not a variety of Duty free shopping or food selection.

The cruise all in all was fun. Some disappointment as 2 of 3 snorkeling tours were cancelled. I have been to Bermuda before so I was not disappointed that St George's was cancelled but it would have been nice to spend more time there. The lack of variety and amount of tours was disappointing but you go with the flow. The customer service desk knew me by name as we booked Chef Table and another Manfride's on board.

At the restaurant they said don't worry about reservation and just come when you are ready as even with the socially distancing seating, they were never crowded which perhaps was because only 336 people were onboard. The ship was great, food, bar, social areas were all wonderful, afternoon tea as good as ever. In the room are a pack of masks, a bottle of hand sanitizer and some wipes. Frig was stocked but changed a few selections by just putting note in frig, note seltzer is called soda water.

Now to decide where to go next with my Viking Vouchers!

• Like 3

Hi Respbj:
Thank you for the thorough write up and boy sorry to hear about your injuries. All in all, the cruise sounded eventful.

One quick question regarding the snorkeling?  Was there equipment (sanitized I hope) available including fins, or did you bring your own?  We are scheduled for a couple of snorkeling trips in July and wondered about that. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have a question since I know people that have cancelled follow this thread.

My TA said she called Viking to Cancel our cruise under the guarantee, and it is still showing up in myvikingjourney 3 days later. Is that normal? Should I follow up? Or it takes a while?

Thanks,

1 minute ago, angelhelly said:

I have a question since I know people that have cancelled follow this thread.

My TA said she called Viking to Cancel our cruise under the guarantee, and it is still showing up in myvikingjourney 3 days later. Is that normal? Should I follow up? Or it takes a while?

Thanks,

I emailed my TA on Sunday.  She reached out to Viking on Monday.  I just checked MVJ and the booking is now shown as canceled.  I'm still waiting for the voucher to be processed.  

5 hours ago, Respbj said:

I went to the private party in the lounge. Yes we were mostly without face masks as we were eating and drinking or we were asked to take off our masks to take pictures. We did have dinner at tables of 6 which was fun as I met people who I had talked to on FB.  

This is not cool.  It goes back to what @Hockeyump said earlier.  Why 4 max in the pool or 2 max in the elevators when you can cram any number of strangers together without masks for parties and dining.

I was in a bus with 5 people, most kept masks on in the bus ,but one woman took hers off, driver didn't insist that she put it on.  

In King's on the first night I was walking around the deck after dinner and saw two friends leaving the ship with all luggage. Through FB I found out that one person tested positive (first thing every morning before anything you have to do test). They were on a Viking tour in a mini van. In reflection, it was good they were not in one of the busses and more people would have been effected.

Not cool again.  I'll get off a bus unless everyone's masked.  Especially because of what happened on your cruise and now that I understand Bermuda's "positive by association" approach to quarantine.   Had positive woman been on your tour (or mine) and not worn a mask think of the anxiety we would have felt waiting for multiple negative tests to clear us.  Not to mention spening a night off the ship at our own expense.  Breakthrough cases are rare but why tempt the Gods? 

The next day two people of the four returned to the ship as Viking worked with Bermuda as these people tested negative. They stayed in their room until another PCR test confirmed they were negative. We wear a contact tracing monitor all the time, except in our room or in the pool. The person who tested positive had to quaritine on the island with their partner at their expense. Bermuda does not allow a positive tested person another test prior to quaritine so they may have had a false positive but had to follow Bermuda law.

Where did the two that were negative stay overnight before Viking rescued them?  Based on what you've shared if we test positive on the ship we're handed over to Bermuda and have to comply with whatever they dictate.  That's the scariest part of all of this.  So good news is if you continue to test negative Viking can rescue you.  Bad news is if you're positive you're on your own and at the mercy of Bermuda which includes a 14 day quarantine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Famsw said:

Hi Respbj:
Thank you for the thorough write up and boy sorry to hear about your injuries. All in all, the cruise sounded eventful.

One quick question regarding the snorkeling?  Was there equipment (sanitized I hope) available including fins, or did you bring your own?  We are scheduled for a couple of snorkeling trips in July and wondered about that. 

Thanks!

The only one of 3 that I was able to go on they were sanitized and you could use fins but they insisted we use noodles in the water so they could keep an eye on us I think.

40 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

This is not cool.  It goes back to what @Hockeyump said earlier.  Why 4 max in the pool or 2 max in the elevators when you can cram any number of strangers together without masks for parties and dining.

Not cool again.  I'll get off a bus unless everyone's masked.  Especially because of what happened on your cruise and now that I understand Bermuda's "positive by association" approach to quarantine.   Had positive woman been on your tour (or mine) and not worn a mask think of the anxiety we would have felt waiting for multiple negative tests to clear us.  Not to mention spening a night off the ship at our own expense.  Breakthrough cases are rare but why tempt the Gods? 

Where did the two that were negative stay overnight before Viking rescued them?  Based on what you've shared if we test positive on the ship we're handed over to Bermuda and have to comply with whatever they dictate.  That's the scariest part of all of this.  So good news is if you continue to test negative Viking can rescue you.  Bad news is if you're positive you're on your own and at the mercy of Bermuda which includes a 14 day quarantine. 

Well when we signed up and read the small print of Bermuda, it did state we would have to quaritine at our own expense if we tested positive. The negative tested couple spent one night in a hotel, came back on the ship and quaritined until their PCR test came back negative. Since we were the first cruise out, we were the test case. The day before we sailed we were told we could wander on our own, so many more could have tested positive if out mingling with locals but we all got our negative test results to get home.  Maybe Viking will change their mandates as each cruise goes out, but these are test cruises and it was still a wonderful cruise.