Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

29 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The 19/20 World Cruise ended early in Dubai, with Viking flying everybody home. The local authorities own the airline, so demanded Viking only used Emirates. They booked every possible seat, but when Emirates shut down, they still had about 90 pax on board - US & Canadians.

Viking chartered a flight, but a certain chap that resided in a white house, refused to let the Canadians land in the US, then catch connecting flights.

Viking kept all 8 Canadians aboard the fully crewed Viking Sun, until a port would accept us. Gibraltar agreed to accept us, so we disembarked  3 weeks after leaving Dubai. Best cruise ever.

Simply amazing! Thank you for sharing and glad it was a good experience for you. I'm sure it was also quite stressful!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, doggfan7 said:

Simply amazing! Thank you for sharing and glad it was a good experience for you. I'm sure it was also quite stressful!

Definitely an amazing experience, but it certainly wasn't stressful. You can check out our daily blog posts from the 20 WC - www.AndyandJudi.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The 19/20 World Cruise ended early in Dubai, with Viking flying everybody home. The local authorities own the airline, so demanded Viking only used Emirates. They booked every possible seat, but when Emirates shut down, they still had about 90 pax on board - US & Canadians.

Viking chartered a flight, but a certain chap that resided in a white house, refused to let the Canadians land in the US, then catch connecting flights.

Viking kept all 8 Canadians aboard the fully crewed Viking Sun, until a port would accept us. Gibraltar agreed to accept us, so we disembarked  3 weeks after leaving Dubai. Best cruise ever.

Andy,

I have always wanted to ask you if they kept all the bars open for you or just one at a time.🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Andy,

I have always wanted to ask you if they kept all the bars open for you or just one at a time.🍺🍺

Jim,

Couple of hours after departing Dubai, the GM & Cruise Director invited all 8 of us down to the LR for a meeting. Being in the Persian Gulf, the Captain sent his regrets, as he was stuck on the Bridge.

The initial position from the GM, is that they wanted to maintain the normal Viking standards, with everything open. Our position was that wasn't fair to the crew, who could be on duty for days and never see a pax. I believe that we developed a great compromise.

Cabins - the GM advised we could all have the fwd suites and retain our existing cabin stewards. The Customer Service Mgr brought us new cards and advised the crew were available to assist moving. 

We agreed to use Manfredis for all our meals - Brekky, lunch & dinner. Breakfast was over a few hours, so we sat at 2 or 4-tops, while lunch/dinner was 1 long table. We didn't require the World Cafe, so the crew had full access to that facility.  I asked the GM about inviting Officers and crew  members to join us for lunches/dinners. He liked the idea, so the GM set up a schedule of 2 or 3 officers joining us for dinner every evening. If we had special requests, mention it to a waiter and the galley deliver the next day.

One evening we all invited special crew members to join us for dinner, so we used 4-tops that night, Judi and I invited our 2 cabin stewards to join us. On another evening, we invited our 3 table waiters to join us for dinner - we generally sat in the same section most nights. For a couple of lunches, we invited some other crew members to join us.

Bars - the LR was crewed from about 08:00 to 22:00. They provided tea/coffee and the usual treats that Mamsens provides. They also provided the beer, wines, cocktails throughout the day and at meals. They always ensured a supply of IPA was available and had a bottle of 6-grapes Port with my name on it. The Pool Bar was also manned throughout the day. If we headed aft, or to Explorers we just had to mention to a crew member where we were headed and they brought us drinks. No need to order, as the drinks kept being delivered. We suggested that no other bars were required.

Theatre - we shared the Theatre with the crew. If any of our glasses developed a large ullage, any off-duty bar steward would ensure we received a refill. First night, many of the crew were distant, but after a few days many started to mix with us.

Pool Deck - in the evening, this was the location of the crew dance/disco, with the Pool Dk Bar being the crew bar. We had open invitations every evening. Based on my career, I was obviously somewhat reluctant to participate, but a couple of the crew literally dragged us up there and sat with us all evening.

Pool - during the day, we shared this with the crew. Brilliant - spent a couple of great afternoons in the pool with our favourite crew. Initially, it was the ones we knew, but then others grew more comfortable and joined in. 

Gym - similar to the pool, a shared resource. We didn't use it during the evening, so the crew had it to themselves. During the day, the crew would always ensure we had access to the equipment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Thanks. Truly a voyage like no other.

So true Jim. Will be tough sailing with more pax than crew.

The other thing I forgot to mention, is the GM made us all gold name badges, with "Honourary Crew" We all wore them with pride. Munro/Deb and Judi/I will bring them along on the 22/23 jaunt, but they will stay in the cabin.

44 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

So true Jim. Will be tough sailing with more pax than crew.

The other thing I forgot to mention, is the GM made us all gold name badges, with "Honourary Crew" We all wore them with pride. Munro/Deb and Judi/I will bring them along on the 22/23 jaunt, but they will stay in the cabin.

I would wear them proudly. 🍺

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Question for those that have been on the Bermuda Escape cruise.  Are the bartenders up to speed on making rum swizzles?  Very important question, I know :).

Yes,  I had my first  swizzle at the pool bar. Aaron is a great bartender.  It was  interesting rum drink. 

I prefer golden margaritas, mojitos

my new hot weather drink: Caipirinha! they make it with crushed ice in low glass. It was the most refreshing drink 

Loved them also at the Aquavit bar  during  a hot afternoon by the infinity pool. 

Cheers!

• Like 2

For those that have been on the Bermuda cruise, if you have an afternoon flight home from Bermuda and air transfer by Viking, can you stay on the ship in the morning of disembarkation? When did they make you leave the ship?

35 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

For those that have been on the Bermuda cruise, if you have an afternoon flight home from Bermuda and air transfer by Viking, can you stay on the ship in the morning of disembarkation? When did they make you leave the ship?

Previous travelers have said they vacated their cabins then sat in the World Cafe, or areas around it.

For those on the 8/3 cruise it might be a little different as there’s no cruise starting the same day, I’ll be curious to see if our cabin leaving schedule is more relaxed.

38 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Our flight was late (4 pm).  We got to stay on the ship until our scheduled bus to airport.  They gave folks specific bus times.  Ours was 11:40 am.  We had to be out of room at 8 so we went at 8 to World Cafe for a leisurely breakfast and then killed the remainder time at Explorers lounge.  Lots of waiting at Bermuda airport as well.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Our flight was late (4 pm).  We got to stay on the ship until our scheduled bus to airport.  They gave folks specific bus times.  Ours was 11:40 am.  We had to be out of room at 8 so we went at 8 to World Cafe for a leisurely breakfast and then killed the remainder time at Explorers lounge.  Lots of waiting at Bermuda airport as well.

Yes   Same here  we ate in Restaurant at 8:30 . Wonderful farewell breakfast. Roamed the ship till our zone called which was 11:30. The bars were also serving ! Saw some with a farewell drink around 11 at the Viking bar. 
whole thing very orderly. 
 Bermuda  airport had long lines because 

Most flights leave in afternoon.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Have you decided on which Bermuda Escape sailing to book? 😁👍😎

We are Bermuda residents but we decided to go on the Aug 3 sailing, just for a change and be on a ship and out to sea. We plan on staying on the ship 24/7  😁👍😎

Bermuda is so beautiful these days - on water and on land, and there is very noticeable lack of cruise ship tourists (3,000 to 10,000 per day when 2 ships are berthed at Dockyard, as opposed to 400-450 Viking!!) so things are very uncrowded - ideal time for you to fly out here and take a cruise. If you can, stay here some days pre- or post- cruise. Also, you can do DIY here if you don't want to paratake Viking's tours (I have seen them and must say they are good and I have seen the minibuses and ppl have said they are not so crowded as they are in Iceland). 

Now that Viking has added 6 new sailings we're seriously considering booking a second one - Aug 27 (our actual 35th wedding week) but will decide on Aug 10 when cruise ends.

Come on down! 🙃

• Like 2

With the new Bermuda sailings that go Friday to Friday (rather than Tuesday to Tuesday currently) the timing of PCR testings and BTA approvals have become easier.

@Heidi13 I don't know if you have heard, but Air Canada is resuming their Toronto (YYZ) - Bermuda (BDA) flights beginning on Aug 6th - first flights since January 2021!! So, come on down! 😉

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

With the new Bermuda sailings that go Friday to Friday (rather than Tuesday to Tuesday currently) the timing of PCR testings and BTA approvals have become easier.

@Heidi13 I don't know if you have heard, but Air Canada is resuming their Toronto (YYZ) - Bermuda (BDA) flights beginning on Aug 6th - first flights since January 2021!! So, come on down! 😉

Thanks for the update, haven't been to Bermuda for a number of years, so would be nice to return for a cruise.

Unfortunately, we are almost fully booked until next Spring. Taking the oldest grandson to Victoria for a week this month, September we are taking the RV to wine country and October we have a couple of weeks in Whistler. November we are babysitting while DD &SIL head to the sun, then back to Victoria for January and currently planning flights to UK for Mar/Apr next year.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 8:08 AM, jollyjones said:

Well that information was definitely not showing on the Viking website when I looked at it just out of curiosity when these cruises were announced. 

Hey there ... thought I'd inform you that Viking is now offering single supplement on the new Bermuda Escape sailings thru to Sept 17, 2021. In case you are interested in getting your feet on ship sooner, and trying out Viking.

😎 Cheers.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Now that Viking has added 6 new sailings we're seriously considering booking a second one - Aug 27 (our actual 35th wedding week) but will decide on Aug 10 when cruise ends.

Come on down! 🙃

First let me say Happy Anniversary!

Thank goodness for the single supplement waive! Bonus points that Viking is offering free air. My two weeks on a back-to-back in June/July weren't enough of Bermuda or Viking Orion so I made the executive decision to come back for the September 3 cruise. Opps I did it again! Being the only ship in Bermuda was so peaceful, especially having Royal Naval Dockyard all to ourselves. Not sure if Crystal Symphony will be in Bermuda by September. 

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

First let me say Happy Anniversary!

Thank goodness for the single supplement waive! Bonus points that Viking is offering free air. My two weeks on a back-to-back in June/July weren't enough of Bermuda or Viking Orion so I made the executive decision to come back for the September 3 cruise. Opps I did it again! Being the only ship in Bermuda was so peaceful, especially having Royal Naval Dockyard all to ourselves. Not sure if Crystal Symphony will be in Bermuda by September. 

This single supplement might be a blessing for me. I had to cancel my Aug 3 cruise due to my passport renewal not returned to me in time. I sent it expedited in May. Now all I need is it to come back soon so I can use my cruise credit to book the no single supplement a sept cruise. I would actually have cruise credits to spare as my Aug cruise would have cost me more $  Now all I would need to figure out is how to apply for my personal days at the start of school and successfully jump all the necessary hurdles 🤔

• Like 2

@gailellen12- I'm sorry to read that your original plans for the August cruise was bungled because of a passport issue. Hopefully you'll be sailing soon, enjoying Viking Orion & Bermuda. In a way the silver lining to not being able to sail on your original plan is now you'll have $$$ in your fare fund w/ Viking! And the free air is a BIG deal. How incredibly awesome of Viking to do this! May those personal day hurdles be nothing more than a pebble in your path!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 3:50 PM, Azulann said:

Yes,  I had my first  swizzle at the pool bar. Aaron is a great bartender.  It was  interesting rum drink. 

I prefer golden margaritas, mojitos

my new hot weather drink: Caipirinha! they make it with crushed ice in low glass. It was the most refreshing drink 

Loved them also at the Aquavit bar  during  a hot afternoon by the infinity pool. 

Cheers!

Yes Aaron was awesome. He introduced me to Aquavit and my favorite drink became the Viking Royal. Everyone was just so incredibly friendly 

• Like 3

On 8/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, JM0115 said:

We got off at 1220. We ate...had mimosas  while we played backgammon on the awesome tables in the living room. Waiter service...snacks,,, all very comfortable and efficient 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, SFO_FT said:

Which airline(s) has Viking been using to carry passengers coming California to its Bermuda cruises?

That what bothering me the most. I saw a flight with very short connection at JFK (55 min) and much longer flights (up to 22 hours). So I hesitate because I don't understand how the flight that they are organizing will look like.