Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

15 minutes ago, doggfan7 said:

We just got off the ship and will do a full review when I am able, but for those of you about to board on Friday (the 13th), just know the following:

1. Viking is now the 6th line that I have sailed and without question, will be my go-to line if I can help it. 

2. I have never experienced the quality of food and service on a cruise ship (or on land for that matter) ever before. The crew all GENUINELY want you to be happy and they also all seem so genuinely happy to work for Viking. 

3. The little things. There was a post on here recently talking about the "little things" that Viking does best. I can't wait to make my list as every day, we found a new one that made us so happy.

I am happy to answer any questions any of you may have for upcoming Bermuda trips or for any other Viking virgins (as we were)!

So happy you  had a wonderful first Viking cruise. I await your full review in the near future! I felt the same way when I did my first Viking cruise. 

4 hours ago, doggfan7 said:

We just got off the ship and will do a full review when I am able, but for those of you about to board on Friday (the 13th), just know the following:

1. Viking is now the 6th line that I have sailed and without question, will be my go-to line if I can help it. 

2. I have never experienced the quality of food and service on a cruise ship (or on land for that matter) ever before. The crew all GENUINELY want you to be happy and they also all seem so genuinely happy to work for Viking. 

3. The little things. There was a post on here recently talking about the "little things" that Viking does best. I can't wait to make my list as every day, we found a new one that made us so happy.

I am happy to answer any questions any of you may have for upcoming Bermuda trips or for any other Viking virgins (as we were)!

Great summary, looking forward to your review.

I'm so worried...I just got back my approved Bermuda Travel Authorization...It's Green and it says Approved...so I guess I'm okay?

However, somehow I messed up the application or something, because next to "Have you had contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days?" is a huge Y! That is not accurate; I must have selected the wrong answer.

I arrive in Bermuda on August 13, so I guess I will tell them that the exposure was on July 28 (within 14 days of today, when I filled out the form...but outside of 14 days from August 13)?

I'm also a bit on edge because my printer has decided to stop working, or the app on my phone, or something...so I may have to lug my laptop into the office to print out some documents. Although if this "Y" answer gets worked out, I'll be so relieved that I won't care!

So excited to be cruising, even if it is just being docked for five days!!!

• Like 1

Hi Susan-

The same thing happened to me! I received approved waiver and I have Y next to "Have you had contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days?"  Seems odd we both would have made the same error. Hmmm....thinking it wasn't us-😉

For future cruisers, I submitted the BTA at 7:15 pm EST and received my approval at 9 pm EST. 

The quickest facility I could find in my area for PCR testing was Quest labs- turn around time 1 day from pick-up of specimen. Test done Monday morning and results back Tuesday 5 pm.

Now that I have the BTA approval, I can start packing and printing documents.

Friday is coming fast!

Paula

• Like 4

Right now Orion is docked at Heritage Wharf for the 3 days sojourn between cruises. Yesterday mid afternoon she left Hamilton, went to Grassy Bay anchorage and did lifeboat drills - the 3 starboard lifeboats were lowered to the water and they went around for maybe 15 mins or so under the watchful eye from tug boat Powerful. Then the lifeboats were hoisted up and Orion went to dock starboard side. We watched that via binoculars from our house.

Maybe later today they'll do the drills with port-side lifeboats.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, BillK400 said:

Just booked the 9/10/21 Bermuda Escape cruise a few days ago and I have a few questions for those of you that have taken the cruise or about to take the cruise:

1. As a COVID test is required to fly back into the US does Viking give you the test? I assume (currently waiting on flight info) we will be flying out after disembarkation and if Viking does provide a test,  I am not sure we can get one done prior to the flight back into the US.

2. About how long prior to the cruise did you receive your flight information (we were able to get the Viking free flights)?

3. Didn't purchase the insurance but considering it (have about 10 more days to be eligible to purchase from Viking); what are some opinions on purchase, no purchase, or purchase from 3rd party insurance company?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Viking provided the negative PCR test, but no one anywhere had any interest in it. We weren't asked for it once, or the CDC passenger attestation I'd completed.

We were ticketed at around 45 days

• Like 2

PaulaPatti4, I am also cruising solo. My name is Susan and the last name starts with Sch, and it's quite long.  Maybe you can find me on the Viking app once on board? I tried to message you here but couldn't. See you on Friday! 

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Right now Orion is docked at Heritage Wharf for the 3 days sojourn between cruises. Yesterday mid afternoon she left Hamilton, went to Grassy Bay anchorage and did lifeboat drills - the 3 starboard lifeboats were lowered to the water and they went around for maybe 15 mins or so under the watchful eye from tug boat Powerful. Then the lifeboats were hoisted up and Orion went to dock starboard side. We watched that via binoculars from our house.

It's fairly common only launching 1/2 the boats, as SOLAS only requires the boats to be launched every 3-months, so lots of other opportunities during the weekly drills to exercise the Port side boats.

Interesting that they had a tug standing by while the boats were in the water.

Wow, great location for your home, not many pax can disembark, go home, and then watch the ship at anchor completing crew sports.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

It's fairly common only launching 1/2 the boats, as SOLAS only requires the boats to be launched every 3-months, so lots of other opportunities during the weekly drills to exercise the Port side boats.

Interesting that they had a tug standing by while the boats were in the water.

Wow, great location for your home, not many pax can disembark, go home, and then watch the ship at anchor completing crew sports.

Methinks the tug was just watching and waiting for Orion to complete the drill so it can assist with the docking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

Viking provided the negative PCR test, but no one anywhere had any interest in it.

What airline did you fly?  Delta was definitely checking for the negative test when we flew home on August 3.

5 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

While we were waiting to disembark on August 3 they had the port side boats in the water.  I saw two of the bigger boats and one runabout.

• Like 1

Hello, all. Could anyone who is scheduled to cruise to Burmuda in next few weeks tell me if Viking is currently letting passengers explore off the ship on their own? Getting mixed messages from Viking.  I know Iceland cruises are back in the "bubble" but can't figure out Bermuda.

• Like 1

Hi, fellow cruisers!

Just wondering how the sea days look like at this cruise? Do the ship moving or staying at the same spot?

Since I've never been on the Viking Cruise Line, what I can expect in terms of entertainment? Any live music? 

Thanks in advance! 

1 minute ago, Bonnycastle said:

Hi, fellow cruisers!

Just wondering how the sea days look like at this cruise? Do the ship moving or staying at the same spot?

Since I've never been on the Viking Cruise Line, what I can expect in terms of entertainment? Any live music? 

Thanks in advance! 

On our Bermuda cruise in June/July we had 2 full sea days and both days, the ship was under way at a moderately decent speed ( I believe the Captain said 10 knots) all the time pretty much.   The first sea day we traveled quite a ways East from Bermuda and then south (due to weather to the West) and effectively circled Bermuda.  It really felt like the old days of sea cruising with Viking - feeling the spray, watching the wake from the fantail, experiencing that nice gentle rocking motion, etc.   The 2nd sea day we headed due East for quite awhile, did a U turn and then headed back.  I took a shot of the TV plot map, as it was interesting to see how far we headed out to sea and in which direction.

IMG_E1593.thumb.JPG.62cc841783fb3514476faa6ea71fd6b5.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rcs931 said:

Hello, all. Could anyone who is scheduled to cruise to Burmuda in next few weeks tell me if Viking is currently letting passengers explore off the ship on their own? Yes! Getting mixed messages from Viking.  I know Iceland cruises are back in the "bubble" but can't figure out Bermuda.

Yes, you can explore off the ship on your own here in Bermuda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Yes, you can explore off the ship on your own here in Bermuda.

Thanks for the answer. We got excited about this, then found out we can't immediately translate our Iceland trip to Bermuda.  We have to wait 2-4 weeks for the credit to show up.  I guess we'll see if there are any cabins available when we get the credit.

On 8/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, doggfan7 said:

@doggfan7 interested in seeing your review.  A question, did they have a seafood night and/or lobster night on the cruise? Sorry if this has already been answered.

Hi - Mark & Nancy from The Woodlands TX - we will be on the Sept. 10 Bermuda cruise. We'll be going in on Sept. 7 to do a little sightseeing.

We did the Iceland cruise July 17-24, and spent an extra 5 days up front seeing the sights in Iceland.  We had a great time, no positive cases.

Looking forward to another Viking Ocean cruise (even though we will only be in two ports!). This will be out 11th Viking cruise (5 River, 5 Ocean previously).

Cheers!

• Like 3

I am very interested in cruising to Bermuda, but not in the summer/fall months.  I live in Florida and am wary of the 'canes.  Does anyone know if Viking plans to sail in the spring to Bermuda?  I know Celebrity does, but would love to sail with Viking.

38 minutes ago, esther e said:

I am very interested in cruising to Bermuda, but not in the summer/fall months.  I live in Florida and am wary of the 'canes.  Does anyone know if Viking plans to sail in the spring to Bermuda?  I know Celebrity does, but would love to sail with Viking.

Not sure, as it's the first time Viking (or any cruise line) is homeporting here in Bermuda this summer. Would be nice if Viking returns to Bermuda next year to home port again.

We were on the Aug 3-10 cruise here (yes, we are locals, but there are and have been other locals cruising on Orion .... read Bermuda "Escape", lol), and we enjoyed being back on the ship and to see Bermuda in detail from the ship. The sail-out and sail-in of Hamilton is something we will cherish - so beautiful and also docking in Hamilton is now a rarity these days and we got to experience that! 

Bermuda is several degrees cooler than Florida and when you are on ship here it feels pleasant outside on deck in the evenings. Come on down to Bermuda to cruise! It's so different here from the Caribbean islands.

Have you been to Bermuda?

• Like 3