NEW MSC Drink Packages (2021 onwards)

Maikell

I just read something interesting on another board.  On Embarkation day while you are in the US port, cruise lines will charge sales tax on drinks, even if you have a drink package.  Does MSC do this?

2 hours ago, KennyFla said:

I just read something interesting on another board.  On Embarkation day while you are in the US port, cruise lines will charge sales tax on drinks, even if you have a drink package.  Does MSC do this?

As far as I know. All cruiselines charge sales tax until you are past the 3 mile limit. Not just in port. Even if you have a drink package, your drink is charged sales tax.

• Like 1

Am I reading the different drink comparisons correctly?

Looking to get the easy package but it says it doesnt include frozen drinks. So no pina coladas etc.??? However, these type of mocktails are included with the Non alcohol package.

Planning on the Aug 2 Mera sailing.

Thanks for any input.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, drsel said:

Exactly! This has been confirmed by other experienced MSc Cruisers also.

But maybe in the case of deliver 42, MSc delivered him a booking confirmation mentioning the Easy package with 15% service charge per drink, just like mine!

I changed our Nov 3 TA from Barcelona to ALL IN yesterday. This is the info given on my booking page followed by the same info you and deliver 42 have. It does say "Easy" rather than "Easy Plus" and sentence re 15% gratuity is listed. I believe package names are changing as of Nov (some roll call members are questioning what will happen with their packages as they board in Genoa or Marseille at the end of October under one package then depart BCN with a different one? ), but I don't know where we sit. There's quite a difference between Easy and Easy Plus. We've only taken two cruises with MSC (21 days b2b), but I did discover that anything not in the ship's system, although clearly indicated on your paperwork, takes a week or longer to confirm with headquarters. I guess it's another "wait and see." Our cabin also changed from our chosen forward starboard to aft port. I think the cabin assignment may be a bit fluid at this time. Hopefully, the ALL IN info shown on our cruise details is also not presented as exactly what we booked but will be fixed before boarding. 

MSC ALL IN details.png

Easy Package under cruise details.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rhea98 said:

I changed our Nov 3 TA from Barcelona to ALL IN yesterday. This is the info given on my booking page followed by the same info you and deliver 42 have. It does say "Easy" rather than "Easy Plus" and sentence re 15% gratuity is listed. I believe package names are changing as of Nov (some roll call members are questioning what will happen with their packages as they board in Genoa or Marseille at the end of October under one package then depart BCN with a different one? ), but I don't know where we sit. There's quite a difference between Easy and Easy Plus. We've only taken two cruises with MSC (21 days b2b), but I did discover that anything not in the ship's system, although clearly indicated on your paperwork, takes a week or longer to confirm with headquarters. I guess it's another "wait and see." Our cabin also changed from our chosen forward starboard to aft port. I think the cabin assignment may be a bit fluid at this time. Hopefully, the ALL IN info shown on our cruise details is also not presented as exactly what we booked but will be fixed before boarding. 

MSC ALL IN details.png

Easy Package under cruise details.png

...Perhaps MSC is just MSCing again... As per my reading that means that despite the fact that you purchased the package online, they'll bill you the 15% service charge against your account... Time will tell... Too much has changed on the last few years or even months... And, or is it only me; or too much will change till your sailing date...

Have a nice day!...

12 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

...Perhaps MSC is just MSCing again... As per my reading that means that despite the fact that you purchased the package online, they'll bill you the 15% service charge against your account... Time will tell... Too much has changed on the last few years or even months... And, or is it only me; or too much will change till your sailing date...

Have a nice day!...

I do believe it's MSC is doing it's thing. I choose to trust (I'm a dope) the info at time of booking re Easy Plus beverage program. The thought of the 15% isn't so much a concern (although even with that, I'm doubtful that charge will show) as is getting Easy vs Easy Plus. We are not much on drinking except for coffees, but the selections under Easy are, or, simply speaking, aren't. Currently, Easy Plus isn't even available to purchase for my cruise which could explain that the system can't even show that choice.  There definitely will be changes before my sailing date. 

Enjoy your day, too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

Currently, Easy Plus isn't even available to purchase for my cruise which could explain that the system can't even show that choice.

Seashore will not go to the new drink packages until November 20th, 2021 so booking the All In rate got you the Easy package.  You can upgrade to the Premium or Premium Plus packages.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/on-board/dining-drinks/drink-comparison-chart

d.thumb.jpg.968ddc2b6f82c08734410eb1741111d5.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

15% isn't so much a concern (although even with that, I'm doubtful that charge will show) as is getting Easy vs Easy Plus. We are not much on drinking except for coffees, but the selections under Easy are, or, simply speaking, aren't. Currently, Easy Plus isn't even available to purchase for my cruise which could explain that the system can't even show that choice.

So now it's clear that those with Easy plus package do not have to pay any service charge while those with the Easy package will have to pay 15% service charge or 90 cents per glass of beer, wine or cocktail.

90 cents is not much and will ensure that people don't waste the drinks .

Very often i have seen people just taking a few sips and wasting the rest, or leaving behind half a glass;, because they can keep on getting as many free drinks as they wish.

If you upgrade to the premium package onboard, you will have to pay 15% service charge on the premium package price, and not per drink.

Edited by drsel

In fall 2022,  the Cruise fare for a 7 night Cruise with Easy plus premium package is only $99 more than the basic Cruise fare; while the Cruise fare for a 12 night Cruise with Easy plus premium package is only $150 more than the basic Cruise fare.

However upgrading your Easy package to premium package onboard will probably cost you a lot more than that

20 hours ago, Até said:

Seashore will not go to the new drink packages until November 20th, 2021 so booking the All In rate got you the Easy package.  You can upgrade to the Premium or Premium Plus packages.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/on-board/dining-drinks/drink-comparison-chart

Thanks for the help. I am aware of the Nov 20 date which is also, for Seashore, the first US sail date after we return on the 18th. My issue is that for the TA, at least, we were presented with the info I'd posted earlier--a portion presented below. The reference to $9 drinks relates to Easy Plus even if the addition of "Plus" is an error. The add-on  for two for this 16 day/17 night cruise was just under $600.627423317_ALLIN2.png.69c23d48b4376701e718aec043c0f67f.png

Edited by Rhea98

2 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

My issue is that for the TA, at least, we were presented with the info I'd posted earlier--a portion presented below. The reference to $9 drinks relates to Easy Plus even if the addition of "Plus" is an error.

Odd that I've rarely seen these website errors work out in the passenger's favor.  MSC has a pretty broad spectrum disclaimer about such website errors but I'd send that screenshot to MSCExistingReservations@MSCcruisesusa.com and see if they offer any alternatives or compensation.  It's doubtful you can get the Easy Plus if it's not offered on the ship yet but if you go about it nicely and get the right person there are other things MSC can do - like give you Premium, OBC or other perks?  Doesn't hurt to ask.

7 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

Thanks for the help. I am aware of the Nov 20 date which is also, for Seashore, the first US sail date after we return on the 18th. My issue is that for the TA, at least, we were presented with the info I'd posted earlier--a portion presented below. The reference to $9 drinks relates to Easy Plus even if the addition of "Plus" is an error. The add-on  for two for this 16 day/17 night cruise was just under $600.627423317_ALLIN2.png.69c23d48b4376701e718aec043c0f67f.png

I don't think it's an error. (You will actually get the easy plus premium package)

Because $300 more per person for the Easy plus package is a fair enough upcharge for 16 nights, though not as cheap as $99 for 7 nights or $150 for 12 nights for fall 2022 Mediterranean Cruises.

Easy plus price/night for your Transatlantic is substantially higher than the price/night for round trip Cruises because on a transatlantic with so many sea days, the consumption of alcohol will be much much more!

Enjoy your easy plus premium package!

Edited by drsel

"Easy plus price/night for your Transatlantic is substantially higher than the price/night for round trip Cruises because on a transatlantic with so many sea days, the consumption of alcohol will be much much more!"

So true. 😆 The internet is also included unlimited, browse and stream for two devices. I have contacted the Existing reservations email (I wanted to know about the 15%, also). We don't even drink that much but will buy at least three coffee drinks a day. The math works for us (IF it's Easy Plus and IF the 15% doesn't apply.) at $17/a day (total was $570) for each of us.

4 hours ago, drsel said:

I don't think it's an error. (You will actually get the easy plus premium package)

Because $300 more per person for the Easy plus package is a fair enough upcharge for 16 nights, though not as cheap as $99 for 7 nights or $150 for 12 nights for fall 2022 Mediterranean Cruises.

Easy plus price/night for your Transatlantic is substantially higher than the price/night for round trip Cruises because on a transatlantic with so many sea days, the consumption of alcohol will be much much more!

Enjoy your easy plus premium package!

The price per day is the same on a Transatlantic, having done three we know. Your idea that the charge is higher because of increased consumption on sea days is offset by lower consumption on port days. So your higher costs because of sea days is clearly wrong.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sidari said:

The price per day is the same on a Transatlantic, having done three we know. Your idea that the charge is higher because of increased consumption on sea days is offset by lower consumption on port days. So your higher costs because of sea days is clearly wrong.

I was referring to the the increase in Cruise fare (compared to the cruise only fare), when the easy or easyplus package is bundled along with the cruise fare and not bought separately.

Transatlantic Cruise $300 extra for 16 nights

Round trip Cruise $99 extra for 7 nights and $150 extra for 12 nights.

The cost per night calculation is obvious.

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, drsel said:

I was referring to the the increase in Cruise fare (compared to the cruise only fare), when the easy or easyplus package is bundled along with the cruise fare and not bought separately.

Transatlantic Cruise $300 extra for 16 nights

Round trip Cruise $99 extra for 7 nights and $150 extra for 12 nights.

The cost per night calculation is obvious.

Makes sense now.

On 5/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, dgreeney said:

I'm going Sept 2, 2021 to the Caribbean from Port Canaveral.   I'm having trouble finding the cost and what's provided in the drink packages on the MSC site.  I drink gin and tonics, manhattans, old fashions and martinis.  Well liquors are fine.  So, what package should I get since "mixed drinks" is ambiguous.

We are also going on a sailing in september but out of miami. I have called and they are not offering any drink packages and will not give us any reason why they are not. Its very frustrating and there is no indication when booking that they are not offering it. First MSC cruise and so far confused by a lot of it

58 minutes ago, jrw2324 said:

We are also going on a sailing in september but out of miami. I have called and they are not offering any drink packages and will not give us any reason why they are not. Its very frustrating and there is no indication when booking that they are not offering it. First MSC cruise and so far confused by a lot of it

Unless you are a heavy drinker. I would stick with buy a drink when you want one. less expensive for sure considering you would need to buy the package for anyone else in your cabin.

29 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Unless you are a heavy drinker. I would stick with buy a drink when you want one. less expensive for sure considering you would need to buy the package for anyone else in your cabin.

Its just annoying they are not offering it or giving us a reason why. I do like to drink and will be at the private island 9am-11pm so it could be a long day ! I like to prepay and have no surprise bills and would love for them to give us a reason why we cant.

11 minutes ago, jrw2324 said:

Its just annoying they are not offering it or giving us a reason why. I do like to drink and will be at the private island 9am-11pm so it could be a long day ! I like to prepay and have no surprise bills and would love for them to give us a reason why we cant.

I would check back a little later on.  The MSC agents on the phone don't always have the best information.