CDC-update May 5th

Tjcalley

48 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I have no idea what you mean.

It was a joke - translation: these days who knows whether a ship will be able to stop (after a particular cruise itinerary started) at any given port of call.

Edited by kirtihk

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I can't imagine sitting down for dinner while taking my mask on and off to eat and drink.  That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  The people making this requirement have got to be complete idiots.

Yep, that's was my ironical point.  And yet, certain entertaining people will say - "Rule are rules".  I want see those people eating those chicken wings.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I can't imagine sitting down for dinner while taking my mask on and off to eat and drink.  That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  The people making this requirement have got to be complete idiots.

It won't happen. Even if that's the rule. It just won't happen. And they won't be able to enforce it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If you want to kill yourself, find a way that doesn't raise my insurance rates. Seat belts and helmets save lives.

I guess I'm not the only one whose Cheerios were pissed in this morning for the sin of discussing seat belts.🤣

See post #319 for the reference.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, you know what?  If the cruise lines had submitted action plans back a year ago, suggesting detailed ways to mitigate the virus, without being overly onerous on them (since that is their area of expertise, how to operate cruise ships efficiently), then the technical instructions that they waited for, would not have been issued, and the restrictions might have been different, and might have been relaxed by now.  There is no requirement for a regulated industry to await "technical instructions" on how to meet regulations before submitting action plans.  Hospitals around the nation didn't wait for the CDC or state CDC's to issue instructions on how to mitigate covid at their facilities, they had the recommendations (CDC) and the regulations (state CDC), and they developed an action plan based on their business model, their facility, their staff, and their current operating protocols.  Nothing, repeat nothing, kept the cruise lines from doing this back last year.  And, who knows, maybe instead of a couple hundred thousand passengers having sailed under covid restrictions in other countries, a million or more could have sailed by now from the US, and generated date for the CDC to use to modify the requirements.

The CDC didn't shut down hospitals and then tell them to submit plans as a condition to reopen and frankly, comparing cruise lines with hospitals is apples and oranges. Sure, the cruise lines could have submitted plans a year ago, but do you honestly think the CDC would have just said "sure, no problem, go back to work"? If the CDC will not let NCL sail now with 100% vaccinated passengers and crew, what, exactly, could they have possibly submitted a year ago that would have been acceptable to the CDC?

I have really respected your knowledge and experience over the years and I still do, but I don't understand putting all the blame on the cruise industry and giving the CDC a complete pass on this.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

So, you dispute CLIA's own statements?  Port charges and fees are not taxes, they are user fees (you get something for paying the fee).  The only alcohol tax paid is until the ship is 3 miles out to sea, the rest of the container loads of liquor brought onboard is "bonded", meaning there is no state liquor or US customs taxes paid on it.  What business taxes do the cruise lines pay?  The sales tax, I've covered above.

Fees are still revenue.   Also, a majority of the companies that work with Carnival do pay business taxes in Florida. It doesn't matter the semantics of any of this it is still a loss that exists because of the shutdown.

Just now, Saint Greg said:

It won't happen. Even if that's the rule. It just won't happen. And they won't be able to enforce it.

Not true.  Did you see a manager with an angry eye watching closely workers around buffet area to make sure everything is served properly?  Now picture a safety officer doing the same routine to cruisers: walking around a dinner table with a stick (like in the "Wall" movie), and striking each individual on each occasion of disobedience when trying to move a rag down or even around of air intake area (AKA a nose).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

The CDC didn't shut down hospitals and then tell them to submit plans as a condition to reopen and frankly, comparing cruise lines with hospitals is apples and oranges. Sure, the cruise lines could have submitted plans a year ago, but do you honestly think the CDC would have just said "sure, no problem, go back to work"? If the CDC will not let NCL sail now with 100% vaccinated passengers and crew, what, exactly, could they have possibly submitted a year ago that would have been acceptable to the CDC?

I have really respected your knowledge and experience over the years and I still do, but I don't understand putting all the blame on the cruise industry and giving the CDC a complete pass on this.

Are you really equating shutting down hospitals during a pandemic with shutting down leisure travel? And I'm sure hospitals acted quickly to enhance their protocols.

• Like 1

Just now, ontheweb said:

Are you really equating shutting down hospitals during a pandemic with shutting down leisure travel? And I'm sure hospitals acted quickly to enhance their protocols.

No, I was responding to another post that compared hospitals to cruise lines. I was making the point that you cannot compare the two.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The will be required to enforce and have the Mask Police constantly watching everyone...cuffs ready and all. Now you know how ridiculous the CDC is and how out of touch with reality they really are. They are basking in the Power Trip they have and it is about to become a house of cards that is not immune to criminal charges. They will be in court come Wednesday. The judge can issue a 100% injunction on the CDC. If that happens, then the dumb lady from the CDC that said other organizations in government are the reason cruises are shutdown will quickly learn the answer to her statement is there are none. When that happens SEC security violations can be investigated and other activity that purposefully shutdown 3 publicly traded companies without merit.

7 hours ago, bamaone said:

We're done with restrictions.

To many were done with restrictions before they even happen, which is why we are in the mess we are in right now.  We are probably never going to get to herd immunity because of the we are done with restrictions crowd is also the I'm not taking the vaccine crowd.  Same crowd.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Looks like you are doing more then eating Popcorn, seems to me you are pointing fingers at those of us who have a choice of what we chose to do with our lives.

Your choice is screwing it up for everyone that just wants it to be over.  Because of your choices we are going to be dealing with this for many years to come.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

The will be required to enforce and have the Mask Police constantly watching everyone...cuffs ready and all. Now you know how ridiculous the CDC is and how out of touch with reality they really are. They are basking in the Power Trip they have and it is about to become a house of cards that is not immune to criminal charges. They will be in court come Wednesday. The judge can issue a 100% injunction on the CDC. If that happens, then the dumb lady from the CDC that said other organizations in government are the reason cruises are shutdown will quickly learn the answer to her statement is there are none. When that happens SEC security violations can be investigated and other activity that purposefully shutdown 3 publicly traded companies without merit.

Masks, Distancing & More: CDC Releases Full Guidelines For U.S. Cruise Resumption (cruisecritic.com)

We will allow you to sail, but...

We will allow you to eat, but... only if you block your air intake (plug your nostrils)

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

First there is no evidence that mask wearing and social distancing have an effect on real world results of reducing transmission of the virus.  Look at the data by state and it's easy to see there's very little difference between militant states and those who didn't lock down (or opened up early).

Second, there's very few people who believe there's a microchip in the vaccine.  That is a VERY fringe group of people.  Most people just aren't comfortable with injecting an unproven, unapproved substance, brand new technology into our bodies.  It's a personal choice.  I know in Ohio, anyone can literally walk into a pharmacy and get a vaccine immediately.  So anyone who wants it can get it, those that don't know the chances they're taking.  Makes no sense to not open everything and remove all restrictions.

The hospitalizations have plummeted since the vaccine came out.  Hundreds of millions of people have gotten the vaccine with very few side effects.  The only reason many have not gotten the vaccine is because they received their marching orders from someone who is no longer a politician and his entire family has gotten the vaccine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kirtihk said:

An old Russian Jew (I'm the one; so, don't worry about political correctness or racism) is crossing the state border: "Stop! Who is walking?!" - (in a typical Jewish accent) "NO ONE already walks NOEVER".

Huuuuh?

4 minutes ago, skridge said:

Your choice is screwing it up for everyone that just wants it to be over.  Because of your choices we are going to be dealing with this for many years to come.

Everyone wants it to be over, but WHEN is it over??  the bar has changed 100 times..... 2 weeks to prevent the spread, until we can get ventilators.....  then it's to protect the elderly who are immunocompromised.... then we need to wear masks to protect others......   in Ohio the goal is now under 50 cases per 100,000 residents and then we can take our masks off... eventually it'll be moved again to zero cases....  it'll never end unless the American people say it's over!

At this point, everyone in my state, has access to the vaccine if they want it.  Those that choose not to take it know the risks (on both sides).  Open up the freaking country and let the ones who want to take the risk, take the risk.  It's time.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, florida eagle said:

In a controlled media/entertainment  arena we see every day 100 pound women beating the living daylights out of 200 pound men who are former special forces as the bad guys. There are plenty of people who believe that. We can go on and on and on with all of the propaganda.

I missed this story.  Propaganda happens on both sides of the political spectrum.   

2 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Everyone wants it to be over, but WHEN is it over??  the bar has changed 100 times..... 2 weeks to prevent the spread, until we can get ventilators.....  then it's to protect the elderly who are immunocompromised.... then we need to wear masks to protect others......   in Ohio the goal is now under 50 cases per 100,000 residents and then we can take our masks off... eventually it'll be moved again to zero cases....  it'll never end unless the American people say it's over!

At this point, everyone in my state, has access to the vaccine if they want it.  Those that choose not to take it know the risks (on both sides).  Open up the freaking country and let the ones who want to take the risk, take the risk.  It's time.

The reason it was never over is because the spread was completely exacerbated by the people who refused to follow the basic advice of the scientists in the name of freedom.  The people that choose not to take the vaccine are screwing the rest of us out of herd immunity in the same way the screwed us by spreading the virus with not wearing masks or distancing.  It's time to get to herd immunity.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, skridge said:

I missed this story.  Propaganda happens on both sides of the political spectrum.   

Mostly controlled by 1 side.

9 minutes ago, skridge said:

The hospitalizations have plummeted since the vaccine came out.  Hundreds of millions of people have gotten the vaccine with very few side effects.  The only reason many have not gotten the vaccine is because they received their marching orders from someone who is no longer a politician and his entire family has gotten the vaccine.

not true.  I wouldn't say "very few side effects".  There are a lot of people wary of the effects of an unproven, unapproved vaccine that's being pushed by the likes of Bill Gates and Dr Fauci. who have, let's say, some interesting bed fellows.  The more important point, is that what do you care if the "orange backers" get sick and die??  it's their choice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skridge said:

The reason it was never over is because the spread was completely exacerbated by the people who refused to follow the basic advice of the scientists in the name of freedom.  The people that choose not to take the vaccine are screwing the rest of us out of herd immunity in the same way the screwed us by spreading the virus with not wearing masks or distancing.  It's time to get to herd immunity.

You get to herd immunity better by actually spreading the virus.  Protection from variants is better when you've actually had the virus.

5 minutes ago, skridge said:

Huuuuh?

Translation in a relation to our topic: in March 2020 we were stopped, and no one travels anymore.  I literally was stopped (I was "trapped "on the 16-day South Pacific crossing Ponant cruise (Easter Island - Tahiti) staring March 8, 2020; nevertheless, it was the best cruise experience!  No one stopped me from wandering around the ship with a drink in my hand).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Open it for vaccinated people. The rest can sit at home and grouse.

• Like 2