Natural immunity and no vaccine shot

Hangman115

5 hours ago, nafanny29 said:

Just to say, anyone that has recovered from covid will have likely life long immunity.

People who survived SARS in 2003, which is a coronavirus that differs 20% from covid, when they were tested for immune response to covid, were found to mount a perfect immune response.

This means immunity lasts 18 years, and in all likeyhood a life time. 

And whatever "Variants" come along, they differ by under 0.5% from the original Wuhan Lab made covid,  so will be no problem for our amazing immune system.

From the respected British Medical Journal.

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

What does the linked article have to do with the contention that COVID-19 sufferers have lifelong immunity after recovery?

On 5/26/2021 at 7:36 PM, Hlitner said:

We could have some fun with a philosophical discussion.  So assume that 20% of the population are not safe drivers so the answer is to just ban driving? 

We should ban unsafe driving.  

Or since 40% of Americans are obese we should ban any fattening food? 

Obese people are not a direct threat to others. 

or since only about half our population gets flu shots we would require everyone to wear masks 6 months every year? 

Only those that have the flu and maybe one week max.  

Since we have alcoholics lets ban all alcohol (I think we tried that once).  

Perhaps not allow those convicted of DUI to purchase.   

In our society we do not generally punish the masses because of the deeds of the few. 

It shouldn't.  I agree.  Sadly we seem to be moving more in that direction.   

• Like 2

Hi OP - I had Covid in December.  DH and I donate blood every six weeks with the American Red Cross.  They check for antibodies each visit.  Because we have antibodies, and have not had the vaccine, our blood is used as convalescent plasma in ICU covid patients.  If we do get the vaccine, our blood would no longer be used for that critical population. 

So, we need the vaccine to take a cruise, but if we have the vaccine, our bloods' "superpower" goes away.  

I agree that it is too bad positive antibody titers don't count for something.   Since nothing I'd book is running yet anyway, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  But I'd rather donate unvaccinated antibody-laden blood than just take the vax and book a cruise.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Hi OP - I had Covid in December.  DH and I donate blood every six weeks with the American Red Cross.  They check for antibodies each visit.  Because we have antibodies, and have not had the vaccine, our blood is used as convalescent plasma in ICU covid patients.  If we do get the vaccine, our blood would no longer be used for that critical population. 

So, we need the vaccine to take a cruise, but if we have the vaccine, our bloods' "superpower" goes away.  

I agree that it is too bad positive antibody titers don't count for something.   Since nothing I'd book is running yet anyway, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  But I'd rather donate unvaccinated antibody-laden blood than just take the vax and book a cruise.  

I was not aware of such use of plasma  — but that “critical population” owes its existence to the fact that insufficient numbers have been vaccinated.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

The fact that they check for antibodies each time seems to imply that they do not expect, or at least do not know, if the antibodies will permanently be with you.

3 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

It is great that you are willing to donate plasma and certainly applaud your generosity but another way of looking at it, if everyone was vaccinated we wouldn't have critical patients needing the plasma in the first place. Plasma is needed for many other illnesses not just Covid and you can't help wondering how much plasma along with the resources to make the plasma gets diverted for covid that could have been used for other ill people. I would hope you and all the other covid plasma donaters continue to donate plasma long after Covid-19 is a reduced threat🤗

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hallux said:

They only let me donate every 8 weeks, are you on some special plan?

I had the same reaction when I read that post. I googled how often can you donate plasma, and it seems it is different than donating blood. It is actually even less than 6 weeks. It's 4 weeks, 28 days.

how often can you donate plasma - Google Search

• Like 1

Thank you, @ontheweb

20 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The fact that they check for antibodies each time seems to imply that they do not expect, or at least do not know, if the antibodies will permanently be with you

It seems a reasonable way to track such data.  Additionally, I suspect they must ensure the antibodies are present before explicitly labelling as convalescent plasma.

I know two individuals, both transplant recipients on immunosuppressant therapy, who have had the mRNA vaccines and who have had negative titers.  Were they to contract covid, they could end up in critical care despite their best efforts to protect themselves.  I am happy to think maybe my blood could help someone out.   ♥  

• Like 3