MSC customer service issues have to be costing them business.

Stockjock

32 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Can we all agree the pizza is best?

In regards to them watching these boards, there was speculation one of the CDs was reading.

Plus they have the best parties at sea for CC members.

Yep.  Great crust.  Great sauce.

Most surprising runner up was the 4-choice NCL $5 delivered pizza anywhere on the ship.  Although hit or miss based on reviews, it was great.  We could only eat two pieces and passed the rest around to loungers sunning.

Also, their "live cooking" at the pool bar and grill, and in the restaurant at night on occasion, in the YC are noteworthy also (especially when Mario was the star).

We only have one cruise on MSC (ended 2 months before the pandemic hit) and had no customer service issues that raised to complaint worthy. 

My complaint was and is the MSC website which, at least in my mind, should be considered the first and, for many cruisers, primary interaction with the cruise line.  User friendliness is just about non-existent.  I'm the first to admit that I've been totally spoiled by the Princess website.  With more than 25 cruises on Princess, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to talk to customer service. 

We do hope to cruise on MSC again before our status match expires but I dread the initial research using the website before contacting my TA to book. 

Edited by capriccio

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

We only have one cruise on MSC (ended 2 months before the pandemic hit) and had no customer service issues that raised to complaint worthy. 

My complaint was and is the MSC website which, at least in my mind, should be considered the first and, for many cruisers, primary interaction with the cruise line.  User friendliness is just about non-existent.  I'm the first to admit that I've been totally spoiled by the Princess website.  With more than 25 cruises on Princess, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to talk to customer service. 

We do hope to cruise on MSC again before our status match expires but I dread the initial research using the website before contacting my TA to book. 

I do think that workers feeling obligated to make eye contact with customers and assessing whether they might seem tense or uncomfortable and having to be all pleasant and friendly to put them at ease is a uniquely North American custom.

In the U.S. it probably has evolved out of our history of communities swarming with firearms.  That's actually where the "handshake" started; to make sure the person you're greeting doesn't have a gun up his sleeve.

But a lot of Western European customs don't have this quirk and can survive walking past a service worker without feeling slighted if they don't smile at you and affirm your existence.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, Stockjock said:

When I criticize MSC's customer service, I think most of the front line workers are quite nice and would like to be able to be more helpful.  But their hands are tied by MSC corporate, which doesn't give them the information or tools that they need to do their jobs properly.

What a rediculously thoughtless reply  .THEY HAVE OVER THREE THOUSAND  EUROS OF MY MONEY THEY WILL NOT RETURN (Spanish consumer laws). I paid my balance right before the industry was stopped, what would you do in such circumstances,not go? Doubt that. 

On 5/16/2021 at 9:59 AM, Couple-Somerset said:

Which is clearly your right and nobody here is going to try and force you on to an MSC ship against your will lol

PLEASE reassure me that your booking is in Yacht Club? - because if you never sail MSC YC again, it helps to keep the cost down for those of us who love it 😉

1/  whilst you "LOL" at my situation, they have over 3k of my money they refuse to return, whilst other cruise lines do (Spanish based traveller).

2/ oh you think im helping you get a cheaper yacht club booking in future? I will be looking at the escalating prices from 2022, they are climbing already , good luck with that.

These boards have been fantastic over the years , really helped many me, and so   many others, but i dont get this type of unsympathetic snobbery, we used to HELP each other on here.

• Like 1

I've found that the front line workers, either on the phone or at the desk onboard tend to be pleasant if treated courteously. I only had one CSR on the phone to be bad. I agree their website is quite off putting. My daughter and family would be Yacht club customers, but the website was filled with problems and so they never booked.  So, you are right that they are losing business!

4 hours ago, Seanocelt said:

1/  whilst you "LOL" at my situation, they have over 3k of my money they refuse to return, whilst other cruise lines do (Spanish based traveller).

2/ oh you think im helping you get a cheaper yacht club booking in future? I will be looking at the escalating prices from 2022, they are climbing already , good luck with that.

These boards have been fantastic over the years , really helped many me, and so   many others, but i dont get this type of unsympathetic snobbery, we used to HELP each other on here.

I recently made a comment that it was important to treat each other with kindness and courtesy.  That comment was removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe like most businesses, it’s a “supply and depend” issue.  If they are filling their ships and making the profits they need with the customers they do have, why fix a problem, that doesn’t really get them anything.   Now if their ships start sailing with less passengers then they want, that is a different story.   

Even though we may not like it, many businesses operate this way. Money talks!  So if the money starts walking, they will (I hope) change. 

Edited by dd likes to cruise

5 hours ago, Seanocelt said:

What a rediculously thoughtless reply  .THEY HAVE OVER THREE THOUSAND  EUROS OF MY MONEY THEY WILL NOT RETURN (Spanish consumer laws). I paid my balance right before the industry was stopped, what would you do in such circumstances,not go? Doubt that. 

1.  Spellcheck is built in to this app.  Feel free to use it and avoid embarrassment.

2.  The post you are "replying" to was made over a month ago, and you are just now getting to it?

3.  It was not a reply to you, so there is no need for you to scold the OP.

4.  The post was actually somewhat supportive of you, but in your obvious "haste" to reply  over a month later, you may not have read it very clearly.  He clearly placed blame with MSC corporate, and sympathized with the stress on employees with first-line contact with customers.

5.  I honestly expect that the OP is not familiar enough with Spanish consumer laws, but his comments on customer service are totally independent of your plight.

Por favor evite mas ataques peronales. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JAGR said:

1.  Spellcheck is built in to this app.  Feel free to use it and avoid embarrassment.

2.  The post you are "replying" to was made over a month ago, and you are just now getting to it?

3.  It was not a reply to you, so there is no need for you to scold the OP.

4.  The post was actually somewhat supportive of you, but in your obvious "haste" to reply  over a month later, you may not have read it very clearly.  He clearly placed blame with MSC corporate, and sympathized with the stress on employees with first-line contact with customers.

5.  I honestly expect that the OP is not familiar enough with Spanish consumer laws, but his comments on customer service are totally independent of your plight.

Por favor evite mas ataques peronales. 

I have"quoted" the wrong reply  that i received, my error, and my apology to StockJock.

I took my time to come back and  reply, as i have other things going on.

Spelling mistakes happen, picking people up on them is childish, as stated repeatedly here, and on other boards.

Edited by Seanocelt

On 5/16/2021 at 9:18 PM, optimusprime82 said:

My parents use a TA for most of their cruises and has essentially scared my parents off from booking with MSC despite my wife and I having two very nice cruises on the Divina (2017) and Meraviglia (2019). I don't thin their TA has actually travelled with MSC, I think word of mouth has put her off from recommending MSC to her clients.

Why even bother going at this point? Maybe I'm reading too much into your statement but it sounds like you're going just to confirm your already negative thoughts about MSC. 

•  

Why even bother going at this point? Maybe I'm reading too much into your statement but it sounds like you're going just to confirm your already negative thoughts about MSC. 

What a ridiculously thoughtless reply  .THEY HAVE OVER THREE THOUSAND  EUROS OF MY MONEY THEY WILL NOT RETURN (Spanish consumer laws). I paid my balance right before the industry was stopped, what would you do in such circumstances ,not go? Doubt that. 

Edited by Seanocelt

20 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I recently made a comment that it was important to treat each other with kindness and courtesy.  That comment was removed.

I realise i pressed "quote" on your post in error, my sincere appologies

5 hours ago, Seanocelt said:

I have"!quoted" the wrong reply  that i recieved, my error, and my apology to StockJock.

I took my time to reply, as i have other things going on.

Spelling mistakes happen, picking people up on them is childish, as stated repeatedly here, and on other boards.

My goal was, and is, informational in nature.  Have a great day!

• Like 1

I agree that MSC’s weakness is in their customer service department, and as others have said, it’s not necessarily because of the front line employees who in my experience are pleasant and willing to help, but because of what they can do with the tools they have to work with.

I could write a list of all the glitches and snafus I’ve had to deal with, some which are so blatantly bad that they are comical. But then I remember what I’ve paid to sail on MSC, and the wonderful time we’ve had once we are on the ship, and how much I enjoy the product. And it’s hard for me to say that I’ll take my business somewhere else. 

I’m not saying that complaints should be swept under the rug. By all means they should be addressed and corrected. But my personal opinion is that MSC’s positives far outweigh the bad. 

• Like 2

Poor customer service doesn't bother me too much. My huge issue is with their IT department. Buggy website, broken booking management system and technical issues that sometimes customer service can't solve.

It's PITA dealing with MSC. 

Edited by thetaro

We’ve been cruising with MSC for 10 years now and there have been many, many complaints around this issue since long before then.   Doesn’t seem to have any impact on sales.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 8:05 AM, dritan said:I've had an email exchange over the last week about how to apply my deposit for a cancelled cruise to an existing booking ( as opposed to having to use it for another new booking ) and we decided to just have a chat.  Called her last night and had a great chat where we were able to clarify the details and she'll call me back to day to check whether it's possible on their system to do this as opposed to a refund.  We had a lovely conversation about the big day for MSC Virtuosa and she was so excited. 

Hi Dritan 

Can I ask you if it was possible to transfer money to existing booking?

we may be in that position this week if we get bumped off our cruise leaving on Saturday. We already have a booking on September and the balance for the later one is due on Friday so this would be hugely relevant for me. If you can let me know , I will be prepared. 
many thanks.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, At Sea At Peace said:

Yep.  Great crust.  Great sauce.

Most surprising runner up was the 4-choice NCL $5 delivered pizza anywhere on the ship.  Although hit or miss based on reviews, it was great.  We could only eat two pieces and passed the rest around to loungers sunning.

Also, their "live cooking" at the pool bar and grill, and in the restaurant at night on occasion, in the YC are noteworthy also (especially when Mario was the star).

We love the MSC pizza….well Italians do it properly!

NCL $5 pizza was the worst we ever tried to eat! Big disappointment.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:47 AM, Seanocelt said:

No matter how good my MSC cruise turns out to be, if i ever get on it, i will never be using them again. They do not respect the client, at all.

I TOTALLY agree

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 10:50 PM, Stockjock said:

Respectfully, I think there's a danger and a fallacy in this view.  That is, "If things might get better, then the cruises must become more expensive".  "Don't strive for improvement, because that will only make us all pay more!".  That notion is absolutely false.  

The problem isn't bad front-line customer service agents (with a few rare exceptions).  But rather, the agents are not empowered by the parent company in Italy and they are not given accurate information.  In fact, I've been told as much by some of these front line agents directly.  I sense that some of them are frustrated, as they are not provided with the tools and information they need to properly do their jobs. 

I mentioned that I had a 4 night Barcelona cruise moved to a 20 night Brazil cruise on a different date and I was never contacted in any way.  Is that acceptable?  Of course not.

I made a change to a reservation that customer service felt would be in my interest.  They assured me that I'd keep the same cabin.  Instead I was moved to one of the worst cabins on the ship with an obstruction and it took months and months to resolve.  Acceptable?  Of course not.

They knowingly had an inaccurate deck plan up for at least 4-6 months.  It showed inside cabins as balcony cabins and vice-versa.  Acceptable?  I don't think so.  How hard would it be to post an accurate deck plan?

I've had several cruises apparently cancelled months ago with no official word.  Acceptable?  No.

I've had the dates change on multiple cruises with no information or communication whatsoever.  Is that okay?  Of course not.

I recently booked a cruise and cancelled the next day (GF nixed it).  Now I have to wait 3 months or so for a return of my deposit, if I'm lucky.  Is that reasonable?  I don't feel it is.

So this notion that there are all of these unreasonable, needy people making outrageous demands simply is untrue and does not pass the sniff test.  There is no reason why keeping passengers informed as to changes and providing frontline staff with good information should cause prices to go up.

A better attitude would be to want to see improvement in these areas, rather than suggesting that such requests were somehow wildly unreasonable made by unreasonable customer when in reality these suggestions are more than reasonable.

And if you're running a cruise line and travel agents are begging their clients not to book MSC, they've got to be concerned about that and try hard to change this perspective.

VERY well said, stockjock.

There are MANY unhappy customers for various reasons which imho could EASILY be remedied BUT MSC Reps make it extremely difficult for whatever their reason.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, robenv said:

VERY well said, stockjock.

There are MANY unhappy customers for various reasons which imho could EASILY be remedied BUT MSC Reps make it extremely difficult for whatever their reason.

Don't say that too loudly, or the apologists will come out of the woodwork and call you a "whiner".  I've set those folks to "ignore", which is a great and probably underutilized feature here on CC.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Don't say that too loudly, or the apologists will come out of the woodwork and call you a "whiner".  I've set those folks to "ignore", which is a great and probably underutilized feature here on CC.

I think you mentioned all the problems you have with MSC in a very clear and lucid manner.

There is no need for anyone to doubt you,  because you are speaking the truth.

Now that you brought it up--yesterday I was talking with my agent about a MSC booking. Without me asking, he himself said that MSC is second to the worst cruise line that they have to deal with.

I wonder which is the worst cruise line to deal with.

Disclaimer--we loved all the MSC Cruises we have done so far. The onboard experience is completely different from customer service

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

We love the MSC pizza….well Italians do it properly!

Yep.  For us, we also get a really good pizza in the North End in Boston.

14 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

NCL $5 pizza was the worst we ever tried to eat! Big disappointment.

Could have been were in the Vibe having a few...

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Does anyone know which is the worst cruise line to deal with?

Depending on who you're talking to, it may very well just be the one that speaks the least amount of English and has no fat-laden American Farm Breakfast foods in the buffet.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 1