Two Celebrity passengers test positive on first Celebrity cruise

Cali Viajera

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But you are assuming that the vaccines stop people from catching the virus. They don't! They do significantly reduce the severity of the illness and the likelihood of ending up in hospital with it, and they do significantly reduce the likelihood of passing it on. Although I don't have the figures to hand I have seen reports from both the US and the UK of documented cases of vaccinated people catching the virus.

Please read post #116 (& the links provided there) for the figures you seek. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janice2348 said:

If we were to cruise now, we wouldn’t do so on a cruise with unvaccinated passengers. Just our personal choice. 

Then you will be unlikely to cruise anytime soon.

Most cruise lines that require the passengers to be vaccinated have exceptions for children under the age of 12 as well as other passengers who for medical reasons cannot be vaccinated. These exceptions cannot exceed 5% of the passengers, but you could be pretty sure at least a few passengers on every* cruise would not be vaccinated.

(* The Princess UK seacations, limited to UK residents, will require 100% of passengers to be vaccinated. Thus no children under the age of 12.)

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Really great info from a passenger on board the Millennium.

Or this report from the Celebrity Millennium

I put no faith into the statement on the video that no other passenger has tested to have Covid. This is a 7 day cruise. Anyone who came in contact with the two people that have Covid have not had enough time since then for any test to detect if Covid has reached the point it could be detected.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Then you will be unlikely to cruise anytime soon.

Most cruise lines that require the passengers to be vaccinated have exceptions for children under the age of 12 as well as other passengers who for medical reasons cannot be vaccinated. These exceptions cannot exceed 5% of the passengers, but you could be pretty sure at least a few passengers on every* cruise would not be vaccinated.

(* The Princess UK seacations, limited to UK residents, will require 100% of passengers to be vaccinated. Thus no children under the age of 12.)

Aren't the upcoming Alaskan cruises 100% vaccination?

12 minutes ago, caribill said:

At least 95% so that children under age 12 can cruise.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding "There is no age restriction on this series of cruises to Alaska but guests of all ages must be fully vaccinated. "

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, LawDog61 said:

In California the positivity rate is about .7%. So 7 out of 1000 test would be expected to come back positive.  Seems like the ship is considerable safer.

Not only that but the science tells us vaccinated people, even if testing positive, don't carry a high enough viral load to make another person sick...vaccinated or not.  And then when you consider they were Asymptomatic, which science has also shown will not allow for much viral spread, the odds that anyone would get sick on the ship was almost nil and void!!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, billco said:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding "There is no age restriction on this series of cruises to Alaska but guests of all ages must be fully vaccinated. "

I do not think any vaccine is for children under the age of 12 or am I incorrect?

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I do not think any vaccine is for children under the age of 12 or am I incorrect?

At the moment there are none with authorization, but both Moderna and Pfizer are conducting clinical trials.

In a recent webinar the Holland America rep said they wouldn't be taking anybody who wasn't vaccinated. That included children under 12.  No vaccination meant no boarding. Period.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thrak said:

In a recent webinar the Holland America rep said they wouldn't be taking anybody who wasn't vaccinated. That included children under 12.  No vaccination meant no boarding. Period.

HALs sweet spot isn't the same as NCLs or RCIs. They've invested billions in family attracting ships.

5 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

HALs sweet spot isn't the same as NCLs or RCIs. They've invested billions in family attracting ships.

Correct.   But, there are cruises available that require 100% vaccination.    That was the issue under discussion.

You're right, though, that not granted any exemptions for those under 12 would impact the lines whose target market is families.

4 hours ago, billco said:

Yes, conflicting. But it really is guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated.