Two Celebrity passengers test positive on first Celebrity cruise

Cali Viajera

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Whats the math and logic of 95% ?

I assume since the passenger requirement is 95%, they made the crew requirement the same to be consistent.

The main logic for the passengers is that children under 12 cannot have the vaccine yet. Those that cannot have the vaccine for medical or religious reasons can also be in that 5%.

30 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

So Celebrity will provide a private flight home for the two positive passengers once the ship disembarks on Saturday.  I wonder if cruise lines would take notice the cost associated with the increased probability of higher number of positive passengers on a vaccination-not-required cruise.

This does not bode well for the bottom line.

Actually in the new Princess contract there's a clause re: Covid positive test mid-cruise that states: 6f: "Each such Guest is responsible for all related costs and fines including, without limitation, consequential travel expense and lodging." I take that to mean that the passenger must pay to get back home or quarantine in once disembarked on their own dime, not the cruise company's. Am I reading that wrong? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Actually in the new Princess contract there's a clause re: Covid positive test mid-cruise that states: 6f: "Each such Guest is responsible for all related costs and fines including, without limitation, consequential travel expense and lodging." I take that to mean that the passenger must pay to get back home or quarantine in once disembarked on their own dime, not the cruise company's. Am I reading that wrong? 

So I guess if I have to cruise today, I would go with X and not Princess!

15 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

DH and I discussed this and our first take was a question.  As unlikely as breakthrough cases are, what are the chances that two people sharing the same cabin both have a breakthrough case at the same time?

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I can’t get past this either. I’m skeptical.  

If they were together when they came in contact with the virus, plus the fact that they were sharing a cabin together, possibly intimately, then why wouldn't they both get the virus? 

It would be a different matter if the two people were in different cabins.

It's going to be interesting to see if any more cases eventuate from that cruise. The two affected were asymptomatic which may mean they only came down with a very mild case of Covid. Also studies have shown that there is only a very small risk of passing on the infection from vaccinated people. 

In many ways these two cases might be a good thing, especially if there are no subsequent infections. It should give people more confidence, both in the handling of any cases by the ship's crew, and by knowing that even if someone does catch it on a cruise it doesn't mean it's going to infect the whole ship.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Wonder what vaccine the vaccinated had gotten?

It would have been AZ or Pfizer. If that level of detail as to which one is known, then it is not in the public domain. I suspect it is but it will never be released!

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

It would have been AZ or Pfizer. If that level of detail as to which one is known, then it is not in the public domain. I suspect it is but it will never be released!

If they are US citizens then it would be Moderna or Pfizer.  We don't have AZ here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't even mention "bad batch of vaccine" without overwhelming proof. We've got enough troubles on the vaccine front as it is. The evidence so far is that the US two-shot vaccines have been nothing but freakin' amazing and are exceeding all expectations on efficacy.

Sorry but this is certainly a reason there could be problems and it should be checked. We can't bury our heads in the sand by suppressing speech. One reason a batch could be 'bad' would be improper storage and handling.

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If they were together when they came in contact with the virus, plus the fact that they were sharing a cabin together, possibly intimately, then why wouldn't they both get the virus? 

I'm glad you brought out this point. I have yet seen any info about how Covid is or is not transferred between passionate kissing (thinking about the young people more so than this old guy 🙂). I mean, passionate kissing is done a lot around the world and I have not heard anything about the transmission this way (I can only guess it is very transmissible this way).

Thank you for that info about the new Princess Contract!!!

Many of these very first cruises. (which are not Princess) have tried to get guests onboard with the agreement of coverage of any COVID related issue.

Didn't Princess have that type of thing right on the front of their web-site for quite a while?

I wonder if passengers, no matter when their cruise sails, would have that in their contract, as that was there at the time they booked?

• Like 1

Okay,  just went and looked...  The COVID-19 Protection is still there.

I am thinking this would be in effect and supersede that language in the standard contract that was quoted?

The complete info is right there on the front page of the Princess web-site.

This is what is states:

This new policy within our Cruise with Confidence program provides reassurance if you are within 30 days of sailing, all the way through to disembarking from your cruise. It is designed to assist you if, as a result of being suspected of having or testing positive for COVID-19 or as a result of government travel restrictions put in place within 30 days of embarkation, you may be unable to travel to your cruise embarkation port, may be denied boarding, may be quarantined on board or disembarked early. COVID-19 Protection Program is available on all cruises sailing through December 31, 2021, for bookings made on or before June 30, 2021.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

I'm glad you brought out this point. I have yet seen any info about how Covid is or is not transferred between passionate kissing (thinking about the young people more so than this old guy 🙂). I mean, passionate kissing is done a lot around the world and I have not heard anything about the transmission this way (I can only guess it is very transmissible this way).

Yes, but, the assumption is that they are both vaccinated.  That is the big question- what are the odds of 2 breakthrough cases occurring in the same place?  That means that both of their immune systems reacted in exactly the same way to the vaccine.  How does that happen? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dickinson said:

If they are US citizens then it would be Moderna or Pfizer.  We don't have AZ here.

Or Johnson & Johnson.

22 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

What about false positives?

I was thinking the same thing???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It would be a different matter if the two people were in different cabins.

It's going to be interesting to see if any more cases eventuate from that cruise. The two affected were asymptomatic which may mean they only came down with a very mild case of Covid. Also studies have shown that there is only a very small risk of passing on the infection from vaccinated people. 

In many ways these two cases might be a good thing, especially if there are no subsequent infections. It should give people more confidence, both in the handling of any cases by the ship's crew, and by knowing that even if someone does catch it on a cruise it doesn't mean it's going to infect the whole ship.

My skepticism stems from the math. Let’s say the vaccine is 95% effective (likely higher). The infection rate is then .05. For two people in the same cabin isn’t the probability that they are both infected .05 x .05 = .0025 or a quarter of one percent?  That’s a remarkably remote chance. 

Of course, it’s been 36 years since I’ve taken a statistics class, and I could be way off on this too. But just thinking about it logically…these are some remote odds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:31 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Probably passengers with fake vaccination cards.....this will probably be a common and sensational news item once cruising starts and I sure there are going to be some Covid cruises from hell returning too.......

No one should post such nonsense as "probably vaccination cards".

People should let the facts be determined before saying anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

People should let the facts be determined before saying anything.

What would be left for folks to post?

Most online discussions, include those here, are peoples' opinions.

Edited by Roberto256

2 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

What would be left for folks to post?

Yes, without mindless speculation several topics would dry up quickly 😁

2 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Most online discussions, include those here, are peoples' opinions.

Differing opinions on things like "best cabin" or "what to wear on formal night" is one thing, but to make up something out of whole cloth is quite different from just an opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish I knew how long the vaccine lasts. I got mine in Jan and Feb. Going on a B2B that starts in December and comes back January. That will be a year. I am half tempted to go do another round of shots or at least the one dose J&J. I have 3 compromised immune issues and I will not wear a mask on a cruise unless told to.

JEEZ this thing Covid 19 is a PITA

Kathy

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, without mindless speculation several topics would dry up quickly 😁

Differing opinions on things like "best cabin" or "what to wear on formal night" is one thing, but to make up something out of whole cloth is quite different from just an opinion.

I see this a lot. 
specultion, like they are the expert 

correcting others when they do not have the facts. 

some on here do listen to this misinformation unfortunately. 

35 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I wish I knew how long the vaccine lasts. I got mine in Jan and Feb. Going on a B2B that starts in December and comes back January. That will be a year. I am half tempted to go do another round of shots or at least the one dose J&J. I have 3 compromised immune issues and I will not wear a mask on a cruise unless told to.

JEEZ this thing Covid 19 is a PITA

Kathy

I do not know for your government. Canada has bought up vaccines for boosters to give us within a year. I heard our PM say this. It can change. 
I read in UK news they want to give booster by the end of 2021  

I see your concern. 
we are still waiting for our second dose.